The VP-Debate

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Tribun
Jedi Council Member

The VP-Debate

Post by Tribun »

Since the debate is tomorrow, I think this should be of interest:
Biden prepares seriously
Biden Camp Preps for Debate: 'Gender Isn't the Issue'

Don't expect Sen. Joe Biden to go easy on Gov. Sarah Palin in Thursday's first and only vice presidential debate.

Despite all the hype over how the rough-and-tumble, wild-tongued senior senator from Delaware will soften his approach in debating the novice (and female) governor of Alaska, Biden won't pull any punches with Palin, his aides say. He didn't in any of his dozen Democratic presidential primary debates against Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), they point out.

"Those debates were substantive and hard hitting," Biden spokesman David Wade tells the Sleuth, "and he debates strong women in the United States Senate."

Wade says "the personal dimension here has been vastly over-hyped. Gender isn't the issue in this debate."

As much as Democratic political junkies may be itching for an exciting theatrical performance out of the debate - especially in light of Palin's devastating, lampoonable interview performance with Katie Couric - or a knockout blow by Biden, the Obama-Biden campaign is downplaying such expectations.

"Voters aren't tuning in for a vice presidential food fight," Wade says.

(They aren't?)

While Palin is holed up at John McCain's posh ranch in Sedona, Ariz., preparing for Thursday night's showdown, Biden is gearing up for the big fight at a converted gym at the not-so-posh Sheraton Suites hotel in Wilmington, or "Wilmo" as campaign aides have taken to calling Delaware's largest city.

The senator is practicing against Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm. Besides being a governor and a woman in her 40s, Granholm also shares the distinction of being a former beauty pageant contestant like Palin.

Obama-Biden campaign sources tell us the practice sessions between Biden and Granholm are "primarily conversation rather than mock debate." Though we feel certain there are plenty of moments of levity when Granholm puts her acting skills to good use. The governor went to a Hollywood acting school and even appeared once on "The Dating Game" show, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Granholm was chosen, aides say, because she proved to be a stellar debater against Amway heir Dick Devos in her own gubernatorial debates in 2006. (Biden's sister, Valerie Biden Owens, was instrumental in selecting Granholm. She was a media consultant to Granholm in 2002 and 2006.)

To get their guy fit for the ring, Obama-Biden campaign officials have been studying video of Palin's debate performances when she ran for governor in 2006 against former Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles. But they're not showing their hand at what they've learned, or how Biden hopes to win.

"The first rule of Fight Club is never talk about Fight Club," Wade tells us. "But I don't think I'm divulging state secrets when I say that the challenge is to make the case for Barack Obama and prosecute the case against John McCain."

Downplaying expectations for Biden's performance, Wade adds: "I think Governor Palin will do well. She's good with the proverbial knife and she can deliver a prepared one-liner and quick jab very effectively. She's a former broadcast journalist who excels on television, and she's a career politician who climbed the ladder by out-debating political legends in Alaska. The format - 90 second answers followed by 2 minute open ended - is tailor made for Governor Palin to shine, while I think Sen. Biden probably had to stretch a little adapting to a format so different from the uninterrupted debates of the United States Senate."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: The VP-Debate

Post by RedImperator »

I'm going to buck popular opinion and predict that Palin will do reasonably well. A lot depends on if Ifill keeps coming after her with follow-up questions; if you saw the Couric interview, it went like this: Couric asks a question, Palin replies with an off-topic talking point, Couric asks a follow up, Palin repeats the talking point, Couric repeats the follow-up, Palin cuts and pastes talking points into nonsensical gibberish. But in a debate, the format traditionally goes like this: Moderator asks a question, candidate replies with an off-topic talking point, Moderator asks the other candidate a related question, other candidate responds with an off-topic talking point. If that's how the thing goes, what you'll have is Palin answering questions with some confidence, Biden answering them with more confidence and greater detail--technical win for Biden, but Palin doesn't look like a disaster. I honestly don't know if Biden himself should press for follow-up answers; the Republican crybaby machine already has "Waah Biden was a big meanie to the nice lady!" all queued up and ready to go, but if he can back Palin into a corner and cause her to freeze up or talk gibberish again, the spin won't fly.

The goal for Palin should be this: Recite the appropriate rote answers on foreign policy and don't get too flustered if things go wrong, emphasize her personal story on economic questions (working mom with a pregnant teenage daughter, a son going to Iraq, and a special-needs baby born unexpectedly late in life) to connect with working and middle class women without getting sucked into a detailed policy debate, smile a lot, tell good jokes at the right moment, and keep a quiver of ready-made zingers ready if Biden presents an opportunity. All of that is well within her capabilities.

For Biden, he has to balance calling Palin on her bullshit without looking like a smarmy bully, show just enough technical mastery to make voters confident the Obama team is full of smart people who know what they're doing without boring people to death, avoid major gaffes, and counter Palin's life story with his own--working class boy from Scranton who climbed to the top by working hard, overcoming a devastating family tragedy on the way (first wife and infant daughter killed in a car wreck a few weeks before Christmas, took the Senate oath of office by his sons' hospital bedsides), who's kept himself grounded through his Senate career by eschewing opportunities to get rich (and believe me, as the senior Senator from Delaware, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the DuPont corporation, he could have) and commuting from Wilmington to DC every day.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/st ... ab_newstab
Palin, Biden a lively pairing for VP debate
America tunes in Thursday night

By CALVIN WOODWARD and MATT VOLZ

Associated Press

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

WASHINGTON — Sarah Palin brought something more effective than facts and figures to an agriculture debate in the Alaska governor’s race. She packed an engaging disposition.

One of her opponents, Andrew Halcro, had memorized the complexities of the subject beforehand. He was super prepared. He might as well have stared out the window during the proceedings, for all it mattered.

“She did such a great job with just the glittering generalities and filling the room with her presence that people didn’t care what she said about agriculture,” Halcro says now. “Palin’s a master at spending 45 seconds telling you what color the sky is,” he adds, “and people will say, ‘That’s the greatest thing I ever heard.’”

Palin and her Democratic vice presidential rival, Joe Biden, each bring distinctive qualities and vulnerabilities to the campaign’s only running-mate debate, Thursday in St. Louis. It’s a potential gold mine and minefield for both.

Biden is a loquacious man of charm and detail with an agile yet unpredictable mind. He can bring the house down with a quip. Two decades ago, he brought his first presidential campaign down with a colossal faux pas in a debate at the Iowa State Fair.

The Delaware senator’s debating experience stretches back to 1972 when, as Palin has noted, she was in second grade.

The first-term Alaska governor, however, is no newcomer to political debating, even if she’s new to the big leagues. In 2006, she powered through some two dozen debates, first against an incumbent governor from her own party, then against a former governor from the other side, plus other rivals.

Then as now, she was disparaged as something of a Podunk lightweight — one of the “so-called opponents,” in the dismissive words of Frank Murkowski, the GOP governor she would unseat.

Then, she held her own or better in the crush of debates, upending Alaska’s political establishment in the process with a one-two punch in the primaries and fall election.

She had a way of disarming opponents that made up for her lack of experience. Biden knows something about that, too.

In his first Senate debate, when he was just 29, he tried an unusual tactic: grace over gotcha.

After his Republican opponent flubbed a question, Biden pretended he didn’t know the answer either, so as to avoid rudely upstaging him.

“I probably had better political instincts then than I have now,” Biden writes in his recent memoirs.

“Today I’d probably win the point but lose the match because I’d be too busy ripping someone’s head off with the facts.”

Gulp.

A look at debate highlights and low moments for the running mates of Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain:

The Palin effect, 2006

Palin hit some potholes in the blur of debates. Asked to name a good bill and a bad bill that the Legislature had passed that year, the small-town mayor drew a blank. In one debate, she proposed teaching creationism alongside evolution in schools: “Teach both.” The next day, she backtracked.

Asked what she would do about rising dropout rates, she blandly offered: “We need to get kids excited about being in schools.” Rivals rattled off specific programs they’d expand.

She skipped several debates entirely.

Even so, the former state oil-industry regulator knew the resource-ownership issues of the day and the arcana of the pipeline project that was central to the campaign. She was a quick study on other matters and generally fast on her feet when she was the lone voice on one side of an issue, wrestling with several opponents on the other.

The last debate of the campaign, Nov. 2, 2006, circulates online and has caused some consternation among Democratic-leaning bloggers who warn that Biden may not find her to be a pushover.

Her debate opponents that day were former Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles and Halcro, a liberal independent who was previously a Republican legislator.

In it, Palin fields questions about her conservative views on gay rights, stem cell research and abortion, and pointedly challenges the panelist who asks her a theoretical question that has since become real: What would you do if your daughter got pregnant?

“Again,” Palin says evenly, “I would choose life, and certainly I’m quite confident that you’re going to be asking my opponents those same scenarios.”

Specifics flowed from her opponents on one issue after another. At the end, Palin didn’t miss a beat when she was asked whether she’d give her rivals a job in her administration.

For Knowles: “Do they need a chef down there in Juneau? I know that that is what he enjoys doing.”

For the studious Halcro: “Andrew Halcro would be the most awesome statistician that the state could even look for,” she said with enthusiasm. “Yeah, Andrew would be the statistician.”

Halcro runs the family car rental business in Anchorage, writes a popular blog critical of the Palin administration and has a radio talk show.

Biden: Polish and predicament

The way Biden recalls it, he rushed to the Aug. 23, 1987, Democratic primary debate in Iowa without time to prepare a closing statement. He meant to do so at the scene but rival Jesse Jackson approached him and took up precious minutes tipping him off to the question he was going to ask when each candidate got the chance to grill another.

Biden improvised at the close, reaching mentally into his stump speech and telling a story he had told before, about a coal mining family held back for generations by lack of opportunity.

Only this time, he neglected to credit the source — British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock.

Biden made it his own story, about his own family, using Kinnock’s words and even his inflections.

And to make matters worse, he spoke as if it had all just popped into his head.

“I started thinking, as I came over here,” he began, “why is it that Joe Biden is the first in his family ever to go to university….”

The consequences were devastating, once the similarities were exposed and a few other tallish tales he’d told were added to the mix. Biden soon pulled out of the campaign.

It’s safe to say he is going to his veep debate with a closing statement.

Overall, the 36-year Senate veteran is a polished debater who has learned a lot since his 1972 debut against Republican incumbent Sen. Cale Boggs.

Even in those days, though, he figured he might know too much for his own good.

When Boggs was asked about a genocide treaty important to the Jewish audience at the debate, he answered that he wasn’t familiar with it and would have to check on the details.

“I knew the treaty, and I knew the answer cold,” Biden says now.

“But I knew enough in 1972 to know that nobody in the audience wanted to see Boggs embarrassed — it would have been like clubbing the family’s favorite uncle. So I said, ‘I’m not sure. I promise I’ll get back to you as well.’”

Biden proved to be a live wire in the primary debates of this season, though that didn’t get him far — he dropped his second presidential bid after the opening contest in Iowa.

The foreign policy maven pressed his case on Iraq policy with zest and specifics, and proved adept at hurling zingers at Republicans. His putdown of former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani — “a noun, a verb and 9/11” — was one of the keepers of the campaign.

He also leavened debates by poking some fun at himself. When the longwinded senator was asked if he had the discipline needed on the world stage, he shot back with a timely display of brevity, the one-word answer, “Yes.”
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Thanks for posting that article, MJ. I had just referenced it, and then the popup told me to posted it. Handy stuff...

From all accounts of her previous debates in Alaska she's pretty good at dancing around general points and avoiding the danger of specificity. I think in these Couric interviews it was like blood in the water--and they called her on this. When she was just answering random taxpayers and reporters she did fine, she answered with verbose, well-formed ideas. The only problem was that the idea she gave was counter to the McCain camp's stated position. But she did give a position.

So the real risk here for her is that her 'glittering generality' would be the wrong position, but if she can stay on-message in terms of the McCain platform, I don't know how she'll really lose. The cross-talk portion is minimal, and what Biden can try to do is test her understanding of McCain's platforms while Sarah attempts to bait Joe into saying something abrasive or dumb. It's impossible for her to actually challenge Obama's positions on stuff through her own intelligence, but she can make Joe look like a jackass for jumping on her.

Remember, most people like Sarah in large part because they identify with her. If Joe attacks her in a way that makes it look like he has contempt for someone so dumb, those people will feel like Joe would have contempt for them. If he can make her seem so out there or out of touch that she's not like them, then he'll win, without even needing to deal with issues.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

And Michelle Malkin kicks off the whining 36 hours early by declaring Ifill is "in the tank" for Obama...and gives us a dose of that famous Malkin subtlety by bringing up the fact Obama and Ifill are both black.
Michelle Malkin wrote:Like Obama, Ifill, who is black, is quick to play the race card at the first sign of criticism. In an interview with the Washington Post a few weeks ago, she carped: "[N]o one's ever assumed a white reporter can't cover a white candidate."
I'm not going to waste bandwidth posting a Michelle Malkin column here (it's here, if anybody wants it). The majority of it is spent criticizing Ifill for writing a book about the rise of the next generation of black politicians in America (with Obama, obviously, front and center), and claiming she wants Obama to win because it will help her book sales.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Covenant wrote: So the real risk here for her is that her 'glittering generality' would be the wrong position, but if she can stay on-message in terms of the McCain platform, I don't know how she'll really lose. The cross-talk portion is minimal, and what Biden can try to do is test her understanding of McCain's platforms while Sarah attempts to bait Joe into saying something abrasive or dumb. It's impossible for her to actually challenge Obama's positions on stuff through her own intelligence, but she can make Joe look like a jackass for jumping on her.

Remember, most people like Sarah in large part because they identify with her. If Joe attacks her in a way that makes it look like he has contempt for someone so dumb, those people will feel like Joe would have contempt for them. If he can make her seem so out there or out of touch that she's not like them, then he'll win, without even needing to deal with issues.
I'd think the big thing here is to constantly catch her off guard. From everything shown so far that shouldn't be too troublesome as long as the person conducting the debate actually asks intelligent questions in the vein of the Presidential debates last week. So far the most hilarious claims I've heard in regards to her debating ability though, is that she's been undefeated in every debate she's had. All 5 of them. (Which frankly just makes her inexperience painfully obvious).
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

General Zod wrote:
Covenant wrote: So the real risk here for her is that her 'glittering generality' would be the wrong position, but if she can stay on-message in terms of the McCain platform, I don't know how she'll really lose. The cross-talk portion is minimal, and what Biden can try to do is test her understanding of McCain's platforms while Sarah attempts to bait Joe into saying something abrasive or dumb. It's impossible for her to actually challenge Obama's positions on stuff through her own intelligence, but she can make Joe look like a jackass for jumping on her.

I'd think the big thing here is to constantly catch her off guard. From everything shown so far that shouldn't be too troublesome as long as the person conducting the debate actually asks intelligent questions in the vein of the Presidential debates last week. So far the most hilarious claims I've heard in regards to her debating ability though, is that she's been undefeated in every debate she's had. All 5 of them. (Which frankly just makes her inexperience painfully obvious).
She upended a sitting Republican governor based in part on her debate performances. Yes, Frank Murkowski was corrupt as hell, and yes, she was a lot more knowledgeable about Alaska issues than she is about national ones, but she's charismatic, good with a quip, and has a compelling story to tell, all of which are big assets in the kind of non-debate debate this is going to be. If she can successfully handwave her way through the tough questions, she's going to come out of this looking a lot better than she did going in.

And if you'd read the article, you'd know Palin was involved in two dozen debates in the 2006 election alone, not five.
X-Ray Blues
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

RedImperator wrote: I'd think the big thing here is to constantly catch her off guard. From everything shown so far that shouldn't be too troublesome as long as the person conducting the debate actually asks intelligent questions in the vein of the Presidential debates last week. So far the most hilarious claims I've heard in regards to her debating ability though, is that she's been undefeated in every debate she's had. All 5 of them. (Which frankly just makes her inexperience painfully obvious).
She upended a sitting Republican governor based in part on her debate performances. Yes, Frank Murkowski was corrupt as hell, and yes, she was a lot more knowledgeable about Alaska issues than she is about national ones, but she's charismatic, good with a quip, and has a compelling story to tell, all of which are big assets in the kind of non-debate debate this is going to be. If she can successfully handwave her way through the tough questions, she's going to come out of this looking a lot better than she did going in.[/quote]

True. But given they're national issues, I'll hold out for hoping she'll stumble more easily.
And if you'd read the article, you'd know Palin was involved in two dozen debates in the 2006 election alone, not five.
Then either my original source was wrong or I'm misremembering something. I was referencing an article I read a couple weeks ago, but can't seem to find again for some reason.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The best approach for Biden, it would seem, is to —as far as possible— ignore Palin and make the focus of his attack entirely on McCain and his policies. Emphasise that it's the top of the ticket which has to carry the election and make Miss Congeniality fight to demonstrate why she's relevant to anything —other than her being the most woefully inexperienced person to be a heartbeat away from getting the keys to the U.S. nuclear arsenal in her grasp.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Re:

Post by CaptJodan »

Patrick Degan wrote:The best approach for Biden, it would seem, is to —as far as possible— ignore Palin and make the focus of his attack entirely on McCain and his policies. Emphasise that it's the top of the ticket which has to carry the election and make Miss Congeniality fight to demonstrate why she's relevant to anything —other than her being the most woefully inexperienced person to be a heartbeat away from getting the keys to the U.S. nuclear arsenal in her grasp.
I actually don't see this as being all that effective. In some way or another, Biden has to shut her down without completely ignoring her. Otherwise the rhetoric from the left will be that Biden was too scared to engage her, and the right will scream that he was ineffective at stumping her, or her own policies, at all.

On a personal note, I know that VP debates are usually about trying to accent the platforms of the Pres candidate, but in this election, I think it's more important that we get a real sense of the VP slot. Both sides have a higher-than-normal possibility of their candidate dying in office, and these two people we see tomorrow and how THEY would run the country is something I want to know. I can hear about Obama and McCain during their other (2, right?) debates.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

RedImperator wrote:If she can successfully handwave her way through the tough questions, she's going to come out of this looking a lot better than she did going in.
She also has going for her the Bush trademark of lowered expectations. Bush convincingly lost the presidential debates in both 2000 and 2004 but "won" them anyway because the public (and press) reacted positively to him. Palin could lose the technical side by a large margin but still come out ahead just by being minimally coherent--"she's not as dumb as I thought!" I think the smart move for Biden is to try to get a push result; rather than demolish Palin, just try to block a recovery, while getting some fresh press for himself. She's on a downward trend already.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re:

Post by RedImperator »

Patrick Degan wrote:The best approach for Biden, it would seem, is to —as far as possible— ignore Palin and make the focus of his attack entirely on McCain and his policies. Emphasise that it's the top of the ticket which has to carry the election and make Miss Congeniality fight to demonstrate why she's relevant to anything —other than her being the most woefully inexperienced person to be a heartbeat away from getting the keys to the U.S. nuclear arsenal in her grasp.
I agree. Not only is blasting McCain safe for Biden, but it forces Palin to either let Biden get away with it or wade into a policy debate.

An open question is how much a good debate performance helps Palin, and in turn how much that helps the McCain-Palin ticket as a whole. There are a lot of reasons for McCain's recent slide, but among them is the fact Palin's favorables have been in free-fall since she peaked about a week after the RNC. Best case, Palin halts the skid and gets her numbers back into positive territory, which not only helps McCain directly, but it finally gives that campaign some good news.

On the other hand, the Couric interview, coming after the Gibson interview she tanked, was calamitous, by far the worst performance by a major party candidate in decades, maybe ever, and compounded by two straight weeks of mockery from Tina Fey (last week on SNL, Tina Fey repeated Palin's own answers to Couric virtually word for word, and got huge laughs doing it). A politician can survive a lot of things, but Palin is teetering on the edge of laughingstock, and you can't recover from that. The Democrats have been smart about not overplaying their hand here. Palin has performed so miserably the Democrats don't need to say anything and they largely haven't, opening few opportunities for the McCain campaign to play the "poor widdle Sarah, everybodys so mean to her" card. It doesn't help that Palin delivered a sneering, nasty, red-meat acceptance speech at the RNC; you can't be a delicate flower and a pit bull with lipstick at the same time; all the Democrats have to do is avoid looking like Michael Vick. She may have already damaged herself so badly merely doing well at the debate isn't good enough.
X-Ray Blues
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

I think you need a good laugh:
NPR: Given what you've said Senator, is there an occasion where you could imagine turning to Governor Palin for advice in a foreign policy crisis.

MCCAIN: I've turned to her advice many times in the past, I can't imagine turning to Senator Obama or Senator Biden cuz they've been wrong, they were wrong about Iraq, wrong about Russia...

NPR: But would you turn to Governor Palin?

MCCAIN: I certainly wouldn't turn to them, and I've already turned to Governor Palin particularly on energy issues and I've appreciated her background and knowledge on that and many other issues.

NPR: Does her energy qualification extend to the international energy market?

MCCAIN: Of course. Of course. That's what it's all about. It extends to a broad variety of issues from her worldview to threats that we face, to radical Islamic extremism, to specific areas of the world. I'm very proud of her, and proud of the knowledge and background that she has.
Yeah, right, Joe Biden doesn't hold a candle to the woman who's read most of the newspapers and magazines in the world. And McCain has turned to her for sage foreign policy advice "many times in the past"? He's known her a month. Please do tell, what areas, plural, of foreign policy expertise did John McCain get schooling in the past month from Sarah Palin? McCain said it's happened "many times" - so give us two examples please. And he turns to her for advice on her world view on radical Islamic extremism? Oh please, her expertise in the Middle East is limited to taking a taxi in Anchorage from a guy named Ahmed. And her expertise in particular areas of the world? She just got her passport last year - what areas of the world is she an expert on, and more of an expert than John McCain? The great threat from radical Canadian extremism?

Once again the question arises: lying McCain or demented McCain?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I hope Ifill isn't too much of a stickler for staying on time with the answers the VP candidates will make; a long answer plus follow-up questions would be giving Palin enough rope to hang herself with. At least according to her wikipedia entry, she was a bit strict on time when moderating the 2004 Vice Presidential Debate between Cheney and Edwards.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

CaptJodan wrote:
I actually don't see this as being all that effective. In some way or another, Biden has to shut her down without completely ignoring her. Otherwise the rhetoric from the left will be that Biden was too scared to engage her, and the right will scream that he was ineffective at stumping her, or her own policies, at all.
But you see, her policies have to be McCain's, and if she tries to advocate policies of her own which aren't part of the party platform, she not only risks exposure of her own agenda but also opens up an avenue of attack that she is not fully on board with her lead's program. And by making her fight to be considered relevant, if it's played just right, she can be made to look desperate and shrill in the process.

Making Sarah Palin irrelevant is shutting her down, and as Red mentioned, she can't let Biden get away with freely attacking McCain without it damaging the campaign's position any further. She therefore spends the evening playing defence instead of attack dog, which lets Biden set the pace.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Re:

Post by CaptJodan »

Patrick Degan wrote:
But you see, her policies have to be McCain's, and if she tries to advocate policies of her own which aren't part of the party platform, she not only risks exposure of her own agenda but also opens up an avenue of attack that she is not fully on board with her lead's program. And by making her fight to be considered relevant, if it's played just right, she can be made to look desperate and shrill in the process.

Making Sarah Palin irrelevant is shutting her down, and as Red mentioned, she can't let Biden get away with freely attacking McCain without it damaging the campaign's position any further. She therefore spends the evening playing defence instead of attack dog, which lets Biden set the pace.

Yeah, Red pretty much convinced me you were right. Just go after McCain and his policies.
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

You know, this propably isn't a good sign for Palin:
The article in question
Asked About Court Rulings, Palin Draws a Blank

After a lengthy, smiling pause, Sarah Palin could not name a Supreme Court decision she disagrees with, beyond Roe v. Wade, in an interview that aired tonight on CBS.

The Alaska governor had just finished explaining that abortion should be decided by individual states when CBS anchor Katie Couric asked, "What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?"

"Well, let's see," Palin said, stalling for time. "There's, of course -- in the great history of America rulings, there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American. And there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be, there would be others but..."

Asked again if she could think of any, Palin answered without naming a ruling or even subject area on which she would challenge the high court.

One puzzling aspect of Palin's non-response is that she was heavily involved in one of the court's biggest cases, a decision three months ago to slash the punitive damages awarded to those whose livelihoods were affected by the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Prince William Sound. The court ended nearly two decades of legal battles by cutting the award from $2.5 billion to $500 million.

Palin sided with the nearly 33,000 fishermen, native Alaskans and others who sued because of the accident -- although she and her husband dropped out because of his commercial fishing business -- and she denounced the court ruling afterward. But she made no mention of the case in the interview.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Re: Re:

Post by Chardok »

CaptJodan wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:

Yeah, Red pretty much convinced me you were right. Just go after McCain and his policies.
You should HEAR the right-wing punditry playing down her idiocy and cluelessness. Couric asks her what papers she reads, and she goes "all of them." couric asks for specifics, and she dodges. The right says "Well, it's because then the papers can use that as an endorsement!" or "Well, because her staffers just give her loads of snippets - she doesn't know where they came from because she only needs articles which deal with Alaska!"
and Regarding supreme court decisions, they are deflecting by going "Well, why SHOULD she care?! The Supreme court doesn't affect ALASKA! Jeesh! Left wing bullfuckery, I say!"

The latter is, of course, paraphrased, but trust me, you don't have the time or the willpower to listen to the excuse-making. I happened to be off work yesterday and listened to Medved (Well, his stand-in, he was off for Rosh Hashana (SP?), Bennett, and Prager (Prager's stand-in as well) The punditry is literally falling all over themselves to paint her as more than just a bobblehead with boobs - and they're failing miserably.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Well, I'm at least encouraged, both by the fact that Biden has come out and said that he isn't going to coddle her, and the fact that last night, the media was focusing on her past debates where she was far more successful. The nature of this debate WILL play to her strengths, and I actually expect VP Wannabee Barbie will acquit herself well, at least to those who value style over substance. I foresee her tactics being designed around focusing on little or no policy discussion, and a lot on trying to get "gotcha's" on the old man. I am, believe it or not, tentatively concerned about this debate.*

*It almost doesn't help that she's shown herself to be such an empty-shelled bimbo throughout many of her interviews, either. If she manages to construct proper sentences tonight, the Republicans will call that a victory, substance or no.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I'm curious at how this debate will turn out. If Palins previous interviews are any indication, this debate will have the potential of having great comedic value.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Tribun wrote:You know, this propably isn't a good sign for Palin:
The article in question
Asked About Court Rulings, Palin Draws a Blank

After a lengthy, smiling pause, Sarah Palin could not name a Supreme Court decision she disagrees with, beyond Roe v. Wade, in an interview that aired tonight on CBS.

The Alaska governor had just finished explaining that abortion should be decided by individual states when CBS anchor Katie Couric asked, "What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?"

"Well, let's see," Palin said, stalling for time. "There's, of course -- in the great history of America rulings, there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American. And there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be, there would be others but..."

Asked again if she could think of any, Palin answered without naming a ruling or even subject area on which she would challenge the high court.

One puzzling aspect of Palin's non-response is that she was heavily involved in one of the court's biggest cases, a decision three months ago to slash the punitive damages awarded to those whose livelihoods were affected by the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Prince William Sound. The court ended nearly two decades of legal battles by cutting the award from $2.5 billion to $500 million.

Palin sided with the nearly 33,000 fishermen, native Alaskans and others who sued because of the accident -- although she and her husband dropped out because of his commercial fishing business -- and she denounced the court ruling afterward. But she made no mention of the case in the interview.
That was agonizing to watch. It's the first time I've ever heard an "I didn't do my summer reading" answer on national television. She sounded exactly like I did on an eleventh grade essay test on A Tale of Two Cities, a book that, to this day, I have not read.
X-Ray Blues
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

A rare look inside the debate preparation

And I'm just gonna throw this one out there

بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

RedImperator wrote:

That was agonizing to watch. It's the first time I've ever heard an "I didn't do my summer reading" answer on national television. She sounded exactly like I did on an eleventh grade essay test on A Tale of Two Cities, a book that, to this day, I have not read.
This was, in my mind, the most appalling failure on her part - she couldn't even name a case that directly affected Alaska...
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

However Palin performs over the next hour and a half, she's not going to equal her performance with Couric. That is the sort of experience that bites a person in the ass and motivates him to work harder and do better the next time. I would consequently expect marked improvement tonight -- perhaps she won't hold her ground, but she'll do a hell of a lot better; after the Couric interview, she probably vowed to herself to never perform that poorly again.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

"Can I call you Joe?" Hehe,
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.