Romney is out... sort of

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Romney is out... sort of

Post by Spin Echo »

link
(CNN) -- Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will suspend his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, GOP sources tell CNN.

Generally, when a presidential candidate "suspends" a campaign, he may keep any delegates he has won up to that point. If the candidate "drops out," he may only keep district-level delegates he had won and he would forfeit any statewide delegates won.
Hmm. What's the point of suspending his campaign?
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Maybe he doesn't want to throw away any more money? :)

Anyway, Romney is apparently about to make this announcement himself, very soon.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Was that wet sucking sound I just heard Sean Hannity breaking away from sucking Romney's cock?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Re: Romney is out... sort of

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

Spin Echo wrote:link
(CNN) -- Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will suspend his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, GOP sources tell CNN.

Generally, when a presidential candidate "suspends" a campaign, he may keep any delegates he has won up to that point. If the candidate "drops out," he may only keep district-level delegates he had won and he would forfeit any statewide delegates won.
Hmm. What's the point of suspending his campaign?
I think he's hanging on to the delegates so he can trade them for something from McCain. Everyone was predicting that if Romney stayed in McCain would still win, and he would pick Huckabee as VP. NPR said the only way Romney could come back was if he did a "clean sweep" (I guess winning every othe state). Romney's campaign people must have done the math and decided it wasn't happening. So right now he might be negotiating with McCain for something or other (maybe the VP nod). The only leverage he has is his delegates. I'm not sure how much they matter though, since everyone is saying McCain has this in the bag.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So if Romney is out, what would that mean for the theorized reason Huckabee stayed in: to spoil Romney and maybe get VP from McCain. If Romney is no longer an issue, would such a thing still hold?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
acesand8s
Padawan Learner

Re: Romney is out... sort of

Post by acesand8s »

Spin Echo wrote:Hmm. What's the point of suspending his campaign?
Edwards did it so he could keep receiving matching federal funds and repay debts his campaign had incurred.
"Typical Canadian wimpiness. That's why you have the snowball and we have the H-bomb." Grandpa Simpson
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

And just yesterday he was "vowing" to stay in the race:
Flanked by his wife Ann and several of his five sons, Romney declared: "The one thing that's clear is that this campaign is going on."

"There some people who thought it was all going to be done tonight," said Romney. "But it's not all going to be done. We're going to keep battling, we're going to go all the way to the convention and we're going to win the White House."
Well, he may still go to the WH. As a visitor.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

If McCain takes Huckabee as a VP he's shot himself in the foot because his cross party and middle of the road appeal ends there when Huck's more crazy fundie side starts getting more well known and publicized during the campaign. McCain needs either a younger unknown Conservative or Romney. Romney so that the Sean Hannity's of the world can have their bruised egos assuaged and appeal to the more conservative side of the party who just doesn't trust him (yet somehow trusts a confirmed "flip flopper" like Romney)
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

And another one bites the dust...
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

So essentially this means McCain will get the Republican nomination, correct? To my knowledge, nobody else has anywhere near enough delegates to credibly catch up to him.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

A McCain nomination is almost certain at this point.

Guy Smiley wants to run in 2016 (or 2012, White American Space Jesus willing). I'd be surprised if he accepts a VP slot.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

McCain's probably thinking hard about his VP right now. If Romney stayed in Huckabee was the safe bet, so he could cement the nomination. Now that Romney is out McCain doesn't need Huckabee's delegates. McCain has a few more choices. Giuliani dropped out early and endorsed McCain, which may make him an appropriate VP choice. The only catch is the Conservatives already think McCain is too centrist, and they similarly distrust Giuliani's "Big City" Social Liberalism (IIRC he's pro-choice, and an advocate of gun-control). McCain's people have to be worrying about whether or not Conservatives will stay home this election day. Romney would give him delegates and some "Conservative cred." Thompson would give him more, and probably bring the conservative base back to the polls. McCain has to be balancing that against his "Maverick" persona which appeals to independents. A weighty decision, that I expect to come soon, McCain is known to make snap judgements.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

What about Ron Paul as McCain's VP? According to BBC he's still in the race.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

[R_H] wrote:What about Ron Paul as McCain's VP? According to BBC he's still in the race.
You're kidding right? Then man comes with just as much, if not more, issues as Huckabee.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

[R_H] wrote:What about Ron Paul as McCain's VP? According to BBC he's still in the race.
Hmm. McCain has spoken highly of Ron Paul before. The quote I saw was to a Congressional intern for Paul: "You're working for the most honest man in Congress."

But some of Paul's positions are so divergent from mainline Republican views that I can't see Paul accepting (due to his ideology). Plus McCain's view on the Iraq war probably wouldn't let him have such an isolationist as VP or near any positions of executive power.
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

McCain has to face the facts... no matter how much "appeasement" he tries he isn't going to win over the die hard conservative vote. So might as well go for Giuliani and hope to sweep the moderate states. It's like in Monopoly when you dump all your money into three properties to hope to break somebody... it's all in or fucking nothing. McCain needs to go for the win, and that means winning in Democratic strongholds rather than desperately trying to hold his crap like a beggar.

Much to the chagrin of the pure conservatives and deep south I'm sure -- their votes are irrelevant this election for a Republican President. Either they suck it up and vote for a Republican, or they don't vote at all and they get a woman or a black man. What a riot.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Jesus what a spooge filled speach he just gave. Hannity is probably shedding a tear right now. Continue to fight there so they wont come here. Return to god. US was a christian country and can be again......

[vomit]
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

*rolls up a newspaper and smacks you on the nose with it*

NO! BAD MONKEY! We do not discuss Ron Paul, you hear me! We Do Not Discuss!
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Knife wrote:Jesus what a spooge filled speach he just gave. Hannity is probably shedding a tear right now. Continue to fight there so they wont come here. Return to god. US was a christian country and can be again......

[vomit]
Ewww.

Anyway, Fox News seems a little slow on the uptake. :lol: That story about Romney's campaign is only three hours old.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

brianeyci wrote:McCain has to face the facts... no matter how much "appeasement" he tries he isn't going to win over the die hard conservative vote. So might as well go for Giuliani and hope to sweep the moderate states. It's like in Monopoly when you dump all your money into three properties to hope to break somebody... it's all in or fucking nothing. McCain needs to go for the win, and that means winning in Democratic strongholds rather than desperately trying to hold his crap like a beggar.
True. Something I think die hards like Hannity forgot about the big tent party is that it was a big tent. Just because recent election cycles had the bible thumpers reigning king, doesn't mean there has been a shit load of fiscal conservatives out there holding their nose and going along with it. Now it would seem the so called conservative movment is loosing it's graps, they think it's the end of all GOPdom. Really funny to watch.

Much to the chagrin of the pure conservatives and deep south I'm sure -- their votes are irrelevant this election for a Republican President. Either they suck it up and vote for a Republican, or they don't vote at all and they get a woman or a black man. What a riot.
Again true, but it makes a couple of different situations in other places. Romney got 90% of the republican vote in Utah. Not surprising and yet Romney's treatment by the bible thumpers in the south have royally pissed off the mormon repubs a lot. Pretty much as the locals here see it, the fundies liked the mormon vote in Utah when it was a white southern babtist running but don't much like the mormon politicians when they run.

In a nut shell, the mormon repubs here feel betrayed by both Huck-a-nut and the republican machine in general. It's been funny as hell listening to the local talk shows bitching about it. Anyway, with this comes the chance that either enough Utah repubs stay home next november thus turning the state blue or more actively vote a protest vote against McCain (especially if he pays Huck back with a slot in his run) and vote Obama or Clinton.

Either way, the bible thumpers are getting their feelbads knocked around this year and I'm loving it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I was watching his speech live on News24 - It has to have been one of the most sickening things I have heard in many years.

I just hope that bastard never gets to any prominent position in the White House.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Honorable Mention
Padawan Learner

Post by Honorable Mention »

Besides irreconcilable positions on things like the War in Iraq, McCain has been a bit of a dick to Paul, particularly when he was barred from the Fox News debate. Even if McCain really does respect and/or like Paul, I reckon it's not mutual.

To be honest, I hope Huck stays in at least until the next debate. If it's just Paul and McCain, there won't be a debate. Huckabee holds at least enough weight to possibly get McCain to agree to another debate (and hopefully an invite for Paul despite is poor showing.) Sorry, I can't stand McCain and love watching Paul debate him.
"Frank Deford and Jim Rome both lean hard left on almost all social issues, but they openly loathe the proliferation of soccer. And that position is important: For all practical purposes, soccer is the sports equivalent of abortion; in America, hating (or embracing) soccer is the core litmus test for where you exist on the jocko-political continuum."

- Chuck Klosterman
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Here's his speech.

I enjoyed this part best:
"I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating Al Qaeda and terror. If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.
What a stand-up fellow.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Here's his speech.

I enjoyed this part best:
"I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating Al Qaeda and terror. If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.
What a stand-up fellow.
The bolded section is him trying to make nice. Angling for the VP nod I guess. This looks very conciliatory, just what he'd need to do to get on board the "Straight-Talk Express."

Right after this speech Intrade had his probability of VP up to 20%, and Huck's %'s are falling.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Gerald Tarrant wrote:The bolded section is him trying to make nice. Angling for the VP nod I guess. This looks very conciliatory, just what he'd need to do to get on board the "Straight-Talk Express."

Right after this speech Intrade had his probability of VP up to 20%, and Huck's %'s are falling.
I think you give him too much credit. He's sucking up by showing what a Patriot he is, nothing more. And he's no friend of McCain.