Nevada & South Carolina Primary

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Nevada & South Carolina Primary

Post by Mr Bean »

Reuters wrote: South Carolina (Reuters) - Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Mitt Romney won Nevada's presidential contests on Saturday, and Republican voting ended in South Carolina as an unpredictable White House race moved to the U.S. South and West.

Clinton, a New York senator, beat rival Barack Obama in a hotly contested Nevada race that could give her new momentum in the seesawing nomination battle to select Republican and Democratic candidates in the November election. The two had split the first two contests.

"I just want to say how grateful I am to Nevada and all of the people who worked so hard in this campaign," Clinton said in Las Vegas. "I guess this is how the West was won."

Romney won decisively among Republicans in a Nevada race his rivals largely skipped to concentrate on South Carolina, where John McCain and Mike Huckabee were running close ahead of voting in a campaign focused on the economy.

No one in either party has claimed the role of favorite in the race to pick the two candidates to contest the November 4 election to succeed President George W. Bush, with the first major state-by-state battles producing multiple winners.
Few quick comments
1. Nevada is not a winner takes all state, as it stands HC has exactly one delegate over Obama, she picked up 13 to Obama's 12.

2. DR Ron Paul comes in second in Nevada beating out everyone else while Mitt takes the whole dang state. Funny stuff, I always wanted Ron to win to tie a state(Sure as hell don't want him as President, but on the "sane-o" meter he ranks higher than all of the others)

South Carolina is still coming in, but it looks like McCain might have won a second state, stay tuned.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

How is it that Paul did better in Iowa and Nevada than in that bastion of independence that is New Hampshire?
"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

MSNBC is saying Obama has 1 more than Clinton. So either they fucked up, or Edwards is giving his delegates to Obama? :?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

They're right. Obama wins one more delegate (his 13 to her 12), though if you include "super delegates" it's technically a tie at 14 apiece.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Flagg wrote:MSNBC is saying Obama has 1 more than Clinton. So either they fucked up, or Edwards is giving his delegates to Obama? :?
Clinton won the popular vote, but Obama won more delegates.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

So Obama won the Nevada primary and he tied in New Hampshire, yet the media is claiming both as victories for Clinton? Nice.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Vaporous wrote:They're right. Obama wins one more delegate (his 13 to her 12), though if you include "super delegates" it's technically a tie at 14 apiece.
What the fuck is a super-delegate, anyway?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Flagg wrote:
Vaporous wrote:They're right. Obama wins one more delegate (his 13 to her 12), though if you include "super delegates" it's technically a tie at 14 apiece.
Something else to make the US presidential election so long and drawn out that everyone's just sick of the whole thing by the time the actual election comes around so they stay home and forget about it? That's my guess anyway.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Flagg wrote:
It's a Democratic Congresman, Senator, or Governor. They get to pick who they want to vote for.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Honorable Mention
Padawan Learner

Post by Honorable Mention »

I'm really glad Paul got second. The other Republican candidates are awful, and at the least it is proof that even 'fringe' candidates can gain decent momentum.

I want to say that I really hope Giuliani flops in Florida because I am tired of hearing how he is "just biding his time", but I also don't want to see McCain win.

At least Obama won. An Obama win is always good news, imo.
"Frank Deford and Jim Rome both lean hard left on almost all social issues, but they openly loathe the proliferation of soccer. And that position is important: For all practical purposes, soccer is the sports equivalent of abortion; in America, hating (or embracing) soccer is the core litmus test for where you exist on the jocko-political continuum."

- Chuck Klosterman
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

You guys realize that Ron Paul is a racist nutjob, right?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Flagg wrote:You guys realize that Ron Paul is a racist nutjob, right?
Racist? No. Nutjob? Probably.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Yes, racist.

CNN Story

Austin Chronicle Story

1996 Article From the Houston Chronicle
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Flagg wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Yes, racist.

CNN Story

Austin Chronicle Story

Now now, Flagg. Ron Paul has made it very clear that he didn't write all that horrible stuff that was published in his newsletter, under his name, from his office. Which means he isn't a racist. It does however, make him very stupid...
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Alex Moon wrote:
Flagg wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote: Racist? No. Nutjob? Probably.
Yes, racist.

CNN Story

Austin Chronicle Story

Now now, Flagg. Ron Paul has made it very clear that he didn't write all that horrible stuff that was published in his newsletter, under his name, from his office. Which means he isn't a racist. It does however, make him very stupid...
Yeah, he denies it now! :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Please enlighten a non-American: Which is the most important, the popular vote or the delegates votes and which Democratic candidate really won in Nevada?
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

The Delegates. But you should really be winning popular votes anyway, as they determine the emotional leverage you have over the race. It's like saying "What's more important, winning the debate, or being right." Being right is better and more useful, but if you never win anything, people are extremely unlikely to support you popularly.

This is only an issue in extremely tight primaries, which are rare. Usually someone will take 2/3rds of the primaries so it's obvious who the winner is. It's tightly split between the candidates, you'll have a lot of backroom dealing at the convention to work out who to nominate. That's totally legal and normal, but it's just odd to see. People are not used to tiebreaker mechanics being used any more than they're used to seeing someone win the electoral college but lose the popular vote.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Mange wrote:Please enlighten a non-American: Which is the most important, the popular vote or the delegates votes and which Democratic candidate really won in Nevada?
Delegate vote. Thye are the ones who choose the nominee at the national convention. So Obama won the Nevada primary. He tied in the New Hampshire primary. The media has declared Clinton the winner in both despite those facts. Because the media is full of retards.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Mange wrote:Please enlighten a non-American: Which is the most important, the popular vote or the delegates votes and which Democratic candidate really won in Nevada?
Since this is the Primary Election (i.e, the election in which the parties pick their respective candidates), what matters is the number of delegates a candidate wins in a primary/caucus, not the popular vote (although the popular vote is good PR). This is because the delegates to the National Convention of said party or parties are required to vote for whoever won their "votes" in the primary on the first voting round, and if a candidate gets a simple majority of said "votes" before the Convention (2025 votes out of 4049 for Democrats, 1,196 votes for Republicans), he gets his party's nomination. Compounding the fun factor on the Democratic side is the fact that out of said 4,049 delegates, 796 are "super-delegates", which, as mentioned above, constitute Democratic governors, Senators, and Representatives, who can vote for whomever they want (hence why when you hear some random Democratic governor or senator endorse either Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, it matters).

That's what makes Mitt Romney's lopsided victory in Nevada a strategic victory for him, although not much of a PR victory (since he was the only person other than Ron Paul who seriously competed in the state). He picked up an easy 18 delegates, whereas McCain, the winner of South Carolina, had to put up a major fight to pick up 19 delegates.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Oops! Forgot about the Democratic winner in Nevada, which you asked about. Barack Obama was the winner (although he gathered less support in the Caucus), since he gained 13 delegates for his efforts while Hillary Clinton only brought in 12 (not that it is much of a victory).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Covenant wrote:The Delegates. But you should really be winning popular votes anyway, as they determine the emotional leverage you have over the race. It's like saying "What's more important, winning the debate, or being right." Being right is better and more useful, but if you never win anything, people are extremely unlikely to support you popularly.

This is only an issue in extremely tight primaries, which are rare. Usually someone will take 2/3rds of the primaries so it's obvious who the winner is. It's tightly split between the candidates, you'll have a lot of backroom dealing at the convention to work out who to nominate. That's totally legal and normal, but it's just odd to see. People are not used to tiebreaker mechanics being used any more than they're used to seeing someone win the electoral college but lose the popular vote.
True, the popular vote has an effect on how voters in other states may go, but that's because people aren't informed about delegates, so they will vote for whoever they think is "winning" or just won't vote at all.

That's why declaring winners based on popular vote as opposed to delegates won is a major disservice to the voters and candidates. It would be like if the MSM declared Gore the winner in 2000 (blatant election theft aside) based on the popular vote, ignoring the electoral votes. You know, the only ones that actually matter.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Flagg wrote:
Delegate vote. Thye are the ones who choose the nominee at the national convention. So Obama won the Nevada primary. He tied in the New Hampshire primary. The media has declared Clinton the winner in both despite those facts. Because the media is full of retards.
Well, as mentioned, you get moral (and probably financial) support for winning the popular primary vote in said areas, if Clinton Advisor Terry McAuliffe's statement about "greatly increased fundraising in the wake of the New Hampshire "victory"" was right.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Oops! Forgot about the Democratic winner in Nevada, which you asked about. Barack Obama was the winner (although he gathered less support in the Caucus), since he gained 13 delegates for his efforts while Hillary Clinton only brought in 12 (not that it is much of a victory).
Yeah, but that's not what the entire fucking media is saying. They are all saying she "won" Nevada, which is a blatant lie. She won more popular votes which don't matter for dick, as opposed to delegates which actually do matter.

I wonder had the situation been reversed, with Obama winning the popular vote and Clinton the delegates, if the MSM would be running things the same way. Part of me wants to think that they are just more comfortable with a Clinton nomination, but most of me thinks they are just too fucking lazy. Then again, actually reporting on facts means they have to take time away from horse race bullshit.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Flagg wrote:
This may be the first election in ages where the conventions actually matter.
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Well, as mentioned, you get moral (and probably financial) support for winning the popular primary vote in said areas, if Clinton Advisor Terry McAuliffe's statement about "greatly increased fundraising in the wake of the New Hampshire "victory"" was right.
Oh, I'm sure it was. But it's based on ignorance.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw