Question about voting

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Haruko
Jedi Master

Question about voting

Post by Haruko »

I'm an American citizen residing in the state of California. I'm mostly done with the registration form, but I'm wondering about whether to vote absentee or to go to a poll place every time. I've never been a registered voter, so I don't know how crowded it can get, if at all, at such places. But I'd rather go to the poll place if voting absentee would be a notably bad choice in comparison to going straight to a poll place, that trouble would be added to the tallying process on account of my mere convenience. I heard that absentee voting may even be a comparably good choice, at least here in California, but I heard that a long time ago and don't know if there's any merit to that assertion. All I do know is that, according to the Easy Voter Guide, 58% go the the polling place, and 42% vote absentee, but I wouldn't judge merit on popularity.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

If you want to keep voting after your dead, or once you've been convicted of a felony, it's a good idea to sign up as an absentee voter.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Re: Question about voting

Post by Uraniun235 »

Haruko wrote:I'm an American citizen residing in the state of California. I'm mostly done with the registration form, but I'm wondering about whether to vote absentee or to go to a poll place every time. I've never been a registered voter, so I don't know how crowded it can get, if at all, at such places. But I'd rather go to the poll place if voting absentee would be a notably bad choice in comparison to going straight to a poll place, that trouble would be added to the tallying process on account of my mere convenience. I heard that absentee voting may even be a comparably good choice, at least here in California, but I heard that a long time ago and don't know if there's any merit to that assertion. All I do know is that, according to the Easy Voter Guide, 58% go the the polling place, and 42% vote absentee, but I wouldn't judge merit on popularity.
I don't get what the "trouble" would be with vote-by-mail, especially if more than a third of the state already does vote-by-mail; one more isn't going to impose a massive burden upon the state.

Vote by mail. It's how all the cool kids play. I voted while I was nude in the last election.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Honorable Mention
Padawan Learner

Post by Honorable Mention »

Is your state usin' them fancy computers?
"Frank Deford and Jim Rome both lean hard left on almost all social issues, but they openly loathe the proliferation of soccer. And that position is important: For all practical purposes, soccer is the sports equivalent of abortion; in America, hating (or embracing) soccer is the core litmus test for where you exist on the jocko-political continuum."

- Chuck Klosterman
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I actually researched that just earlier today. Apparently we're using a "Sequoia AVC Edge 2". Here's a brief description of it:
Brief Description: The Sequoia AVC Edge is a voter-activated multilingual touchscreen
system that records votes on internal flash memory. Voters insert a "smart-card" into the
machine and then make their choices by touching an area on a computer screen, much in
the same way that modern ATMs work. The votes are then recorded to internal electronic
flash memory. When polls close, the votes for a particular machine are written to a
“PCMCIA card” which are removed from the system and either physically transported to
election headquarters or their contents transmitted via computer network.
I decided to go to the polling place to vote. It's ironic, I think, that part of the reason for my choice was laziness, having realized the several extra steps that'd have to take place for an absentee.

Anyways, my polling place is less than a mile away, at some small chapel.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."