MD Lt. Gov Tells Jews Stem Cell Res. Is Like Holocaust

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

MD Lt. Gov Tells Jews Stem Cell Res. Is Like Holocaust

Post by Elfdart »

This guy is such an asshole. He and Gov. Erlich started the Oreo Hoax, claiming Steele was pelted with oreos at a college debate -something that never happened according to witnesses, including janitors who cleaned up afterward. Now he tells a Jewish group that stem cell research is like the Nazi Holocaust.

FUCK YOU, MICHAEL STEELE :finger:

Baltimore Sun
Steele's words at meeting faulted
To Jewish leaders, he likens stem cell study to Holocaust
By Jennifer Skalka
Sun reporter
Originally published February 10, 2006
Discussing his position on embryonic stem cell research with Baltimore Jewish leaders yesterday, Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele said he is "concerned about the destruction of human life" and made a comparison between the controversial science and experiments done on Jews during the Holocaust.

"You of all folks know what happens when people decide they want to experiment on human beings, when they want to take your life and use it as a tool," said Steele, a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, to a crowd of about 40 at a Baltimore Jewish Council board meeting. "I know that as well in my community, out of our experience with slavery, and so I'm very cautious when people say this is the best new thing, this is going to save lives."
Follow the link to the rest. Unbefuckinglievable.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Some elderly Jews with Parkinson's or cancer might dispute his analogy.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

I predict that this will be the first of many verbal gaffs that Steele will make during the campaign. He has been able to get away with being ambiguous on how he feels on the issues, but as the election grows closer, he will be asked more and more direct questions. When he says how he really feels (100% against abortion, 100% against stem cells, etc.), voters are going to realize how he is not part of mainstream Maryland opinion (we are a fairly liberal state).
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You know, I would be laughing at this bit of Comedy gold if it wasn't for the fact that I believe so many Fundies out there agree with him.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Wow I'm just thrilled to be a resident of this man's state. This is the reason why I'm going to be trying my damndest to help out with Cardin's campaign so he can beat this fucker.

Personally I don't mind Ehrlich so much (I voted for him over Townsend) but Steele just is retarded.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Durandal wrote:Some elderly Jews with Parkinson's or cancer might dispute his analogy.
The synagogue down in Lakeland whose rabbi I knew was very much in favor of stem cell research, and they're not even that elderly. It's my experience that they tend to be somewhat more pragmatic than many other religions, and the rabbi essentially summed it up by saying that since the excess IVF embryos would be destroyed anyway, we might as well get some use out of them by harvesting stem cells.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yes, that'll always win the support of the Jews. Tell them that XYZ is like the holocaust! :roll:
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Wow I'm just thrilled to be a resident of this man's state. This is the reason why I'm going to be trying my damndest to help out with Cardin's campaign so he can beat this fucker.
Does that include agitating to have voting rights restored to felons convicted of more than one crime? That's what the Democrats in MD are up to now; trying to "restore" the "disenfranchised" vote of career criminals so that they can beat Erhlich who won by less than the margin of "disenfrancised" blacks.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Look on the bright side, if they succeed you can commit a couple of felonies and vote, too.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

MKSheppard wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:Wow I'm just thrilled to be a resident of this man's state. This is the reason why I'm going to be trying my damndest to help out with Cardin's campaign so he can beat this fucker.
Does that include agitating to have voting rights restored to felons convicted of more than one crime? That's what the Democrats in MD are up to now; trying to "restore" the "disenfranchised" vote of career criminals so that they can beat Erhlich who won by less than the margin of "disenfrancised" blacks.
No that would include advocating for Cardin for US Senate and, then sitting back and watching as someone takes his seat since I'm no longer in the MD 3rd. I quite frankly couldn't care what the state legislators aredoing on the "disenfranchised" work since Cardin isn't involved and I thin I already mentioned that I find Ehrlich tolerable enough (he isn't an anti stem cell fundie and he's decent enough in his budgeting plans to try and bring the state back into the black). ou're talking about two distinct races in the '06 senate race and the '08 gubenatorial so please don't mix them.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Omega18
Jedi Knight

Post by Omega18 »

The reality is a substancial portion of those who are of the Jewish faith believe there is simply nothing wrong with stem cell research religiously.

Some reform Jews will argue, with significant traditional Jewish scholarship and thought supporting it, that a fetus is souless until it takes its first breathe. A large portion of other Jews believe that a fetus doesn't have a soul until somewhat into the pregnancy, after the cell in question had already attached themselves to the uterus. The politician in question seems to be going out of his way to piss Jews off.

Those who are curious about reading Jewish views on abortion and when a fetus has a soul from a reform Jewish perspective can read this article.
http://www.rcrc.org/pdf/jewish%20perspectives.pdf

(While the article puts a less agressive stance on the issue probably due to the other Rabbi being involved, my Temple's Rabbi is one of the two involved with writting the article and his personal view is there is nothing wrong with abortion religiously.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

I have a question: is it biologically impossible for politicians to talk to Jews without referencing Nazis or the Holocaust? They have an identity beyond that, you know.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

wolveraptor wrote:I have a question: is it biologically impossible for politicians to talk to Jews without referencing Nazis or the Holocaust? They have an identity beyond that, you know.
There is the 2+ millenia of persecution before the Holocaust :P .
And that can be partially blamed both on the ratfucker shits who use the Holocaust as an analogy for everything (Such as the west bank withdrawal last year, fuckers and their little orange stars :evil: ).
Another reason is simple discrimination- just because jews are (often) white doesn't mean that we are'nt a minority, and thus tend to be pegged with stereotypes easily (Same as blacks and dicks or refernces to slavery- it isn't going to go away because it's over)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.