Coalition F-16 downed over ISIS, pilot captured

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Coalition F-16 downed over ISIS, pilot captured

Post by Irbis »

Isis fighters capture Jordanian pilot after plane came down over Syria

Jordanian authorities confirm capture of pilot after first coalition warplane lost since air strikes began in Syria three months ago

Fighters of the Islamic State (Isis) in Syria have scored a major propaganda coup by capturing a Jordanian air force pilot whose plane came down on Wednesday during an air raid by the international coalition near the northern city of Raqqa, the de facto jihadi capital.

Images posted on social media showed jubilant Isis gunmen, some of them masked, with a clearly frightened man, naked from the waist down and being dragged out of a lake. He was identified as the downed pilot and named on Twitter, which displayed his military ID card, as First Lieutenant Muadh al-Kasasbeh, 26. The Jordanian military immediately described him as a “hostage”.

The F-16 was the first warplane lost since the US-led coalition began air strikes against Isis in Syria three months ago. Both the jihadists and activists reporting to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the plane had been hit by an anti-aircraft missile.

But the US military dismissed the claim, saying “evidence clearly suggests that Isil [Islamic State] did not down the aircraft”. Another image on social media showing the plane’s intact cockpit canopy suggested that the pilot might have ejected.

Hundreds of coalition air attacks have helped stem Isis advances – though more successfully in Iraq than in Syria, where they have been criticised for weakening more moderate rebel groups fighting President Bashar al-Assad.

The Jordanian military issued a statement confirming the capture by Isis and saying it “holds the group and its supporters responsible for the safety of the pilot and his life”. It did not name him. “During a mission on Wednesday morning conducted by several Jordanian air force planes against hideouts of the IS terrorist organisation in the Raqqa region, one of the planes went down and the pilot was taken hostage,”, the Petra news agency quoted a source from the military’s general staff as saying. The Jordanian government went into emergency session to discuss its response.

The pilot’s father, Yousef al-Kasasbeh, appealed to Isis in an interview with a Jordanian website, Saraya, saying: “May Allah plant mercy in your hearts and may you release my son.” He also urged King Abdullah to bring him home.

Jordan is one of four Arab countries – the others are Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates – which have been taking part in coalition attacks. Qatar is providing logistical support. But Jordan is in an especially vulnerable position: it is the only one of what the US calls the Arab “partner nations” which borders on both Syria and Iraq. It has taken in hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees and there is sympathy and even support among Jordanian extremists for what is seen as an Isis fightback against Assad, Iran and Shia sectarianism.

An estimated 2,000-2,500 Jordanians are known to be fighting with Isis – the third largest foreign Arab contingent after Saudi Arabia and Tunisia.

King Abdullah has been an enthusiastic participant in the coalition, describing an elemental struggle between Muslim moderation and jihadi extremism. Jordan’s much-vaunted intelligence service is thought to be playing an important clandestine role in the anti-Isis campaign. But the Jordanian government has not advertised its military involvement, perhaps fearing revenge attacks by Isis or a domestic backlash. The capture of the pilot and his obvious propaganda value to the jihadis may well now highlight the risks involved.

Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, the Netherlands and UK have joined the US in conducting air strikes on Isis in Iraq. The US and its four Arab allies, flying sorties in Syria, will all be concerned about any new Isis capability to bring down their planes.
"Hostage"? Did we went so far in newspeak war whitewashing term "PoW" doesn't apply not only to enemies, but own troops as well? :|

Anyway, if that was a missile and not say a malfunction, you can say ISIS has all the trappings of revolutionary state now and isn't just terrorist group anymore.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Coalition F-16 downed over ISIS, pilot captured

Post by Rogue 9 »

For him to be a prisoner of war in the legal sense he would have to be held by a belligerent state who recognizes the laws of war, and ISIS is not one of those. We can only hope for his rescue or escape at this point; I have no faith that ISIS will accord him the treatment required for POWs rather than executing him on video if their demands are not met - and the latter, which is their MO, makes him a hostage by definition.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Given the huge number of sorties that have been flown, it's not that surprising something would finally go wrong even if it's not a missile. I doubt ISIL has a well organized air defense network, but they could have gotten lucky, especially if the fighter was flying relatively low or slow.

And I agree with Rogue; we cannot consider ISIL captives to be "prisoners of war" unless they are being accorded that status by the organization which holds them. Since ISIL prefers to publicly behead its captives for propaganda purposes, that just isn't true here.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

It could be ground fire but just as likely is some material malfunction requiring the aircraft to be abandoned. That would be a tough choice for a pilot.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Rogue 9 wrote:For him to be a prisoner of war in the legal sense he would have to be held by a belligerent state who recognizes the laws of war, and ISIS is not one of those. We can only hope for his rescue or escape at this point; I have no faith that ISIS will accord him the treatment required for POWs rather than executing him on video if their demands are not met - and the latter, which is their MO, makes him a hostage by definition.
Actually no, being mistreated by a state that doesn't recognize the laws of war doesn't make someone not a POW. There were POWs mistreated and killed by Germany and Japan in WWII, and these were real POWs just as the ones taken by ISIS. The fact that they are not giving POWs proper treatment is only an indicator of them being non-compliant with the laws of war.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:And I agree with Rogue; we cannot consider ISIL captives to be "prisoners of war" unless they are being accorded that status by the organization which holds them. Since ISIL prefers to publicly behead its captives for propaganda purposes, that just isn't true here.
That is bullshit Simon and I think you know why. Because then no semi-state organization (think freedom fighters) that executed people would ever have legal status, which means that they would not be afforded legal status in return. Something which Nuremberg explicitly outlawed because - surprise - the German Wehrmacht tried to pull exactly that argument.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Er, to clarify, we cannot reasonably class prisoners in the hands of ISIL as "prisoners of war" when we know they will not be treated as such.

Thanas, Stas, you know as well as I do that ISIL is predictably going to threaten to kill the Jordanian pilot unless some demand is met, or unless some ransom is paid, and then if they're not satisfied they will predictably kill him publicly for propaganda purposes. We know this because they have done so in the past under similar circumstances.

In which case it is totally correct as a matter of basic English usage to call him a hostage. Insofar as he is in any sense a "prisoner of war" it is in the medieval sense, in which prisoners were hostages, who were routinely ransomed back to their loved ones, or held imprisoned as leverage in a political dispute, or summarily killed if keeping them was inconvenient (e.g. Agincourt).

And since the medieval sense of a "prisoner of war" bears almost no resemblance to the formalized and legalized sense in which we use the word today, it is entirely fitting to say that this pilot is going to be treated as a hostage, not a POW, based on the past behavior of ISIL's own decision-makers.

And Thanas, specifically-

Unlike a partisan group, ISIL has secure control of a large swath of territory, with plenty of personnel who openly under arms to guard prisoners. And unlike, say, Hamas in Palestine, their territory is not subject to being penetrated at will by heavily armed enemy flying columns.

ISIL has NO meaningful excuse not to keep prisoners and abide by the laws of war in this matter, at least in broad. I don't think Nuremberg decisions applying to partisans and guerillas should apply here.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:In which case it is totally correct as a matter of basic English usage to call him a hostage. Insofar as he is in any sense a "prisoner of war" it is in the medieval sense, in which prisoners were hostages, who were routinely ransomed back to their loved ones, or held imprisoned as leverage in a political dispute, or summarily killed if keeping them was inconvenient (e.g. Agincourt).
Actually, Agincourt is often regarded as the greatest warcrime in the middle ages because those captured had surrendered on their word of honour.
And since the medieval sense of a "prisoner of war" bears almost no resemblance to the formalized and legalized sense in which we use the word today, it is entirely fitting to say that this pilot is going to be treated as a hostage, not a POW, based on the past behavior of ISIL's own decision-makers.
No, unless a demand is met he is a prisoner. Even when a ransom demand is made he is still not a hostage, as prisoner exchanges often include some sort of payment.

Unlike a partisan group, ISIL has secure control of a large swath of territory, with plenty of personnel who openly under arms to guard prisoners. And unlike, say, Hamas in Palestine, their territory is not subject to being penetrated at will by heavily armed enemy flying columns.
So...they are like the Yugoslav Partisans in 1944 and 1945? Or the Warsaw Uprising?
I don't think Nuremberg decisions applying to partisans and guerillas should apply here.
Why not? Both are irregular powers, financed by outsiders and using whatever weapon they have at hand. They also specialize in terror tactics (don't think that wasn't a mainstay of WWII resistances everywhere).

You only can differentiate them if you go down the bad road of "well, they are bad people, so the law doesn't apply to them".
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Simon, I think arguing with an attorney about legal definitions of things is generally a bad career move.

Though I do have an legit question Thanas. Just what DOES differentiate a POW from a Hostage in murky circumstances like this without state actors etc? I mean, if an ISIL cell got into a USMC recruiting center in NYC and held the sergeant at gunpoint, or abducted him/her to a boat outside US territorial waters, would that sergeant be a hostage, POW, or indeterminate?

Is the distinction made by the military status of the prisoner, the location to which the prisoner is taken, state of hostilities?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Simon, I think arguing with an attorney about legal definitions of things is generally a bad career move.
I honestly am not that big of an expert on the law of war though, so I won't speak from authority here.
Though I do have an legit question Thanas. Just what DOES differentiate a POW from a Hostage in murky circumstances like this without state actors etc? I mean, if an ISIL cell got into a USMC recruiting center in NYC and held the sergeant at gunpoint, or abducted him/her to a boat outside US territorial waters, would that sergeant be a hostage, POW, or indeterminate?
I would suggest that he is a POW just like any other prisoner of a military raid. After all, if you send a commando team behind enemy lines and they capture a supply depot with soldiers, those captured soldiers are still afforded the same protection (it is just that special forces frequently ignore them due to practicability). But if they get a pass, why shouldn't ISIS?

Thing is that IMO the difference between state and non-state actors has never been considered and seeing how most of the drafting nations were colonial powers with lots of unrest, it is easy to see why. Sadly, there is not an impartal tribunal considering that (thanks, Clinton). It mainly is still whoever manages to survive long enough to get a seat at the peace negotiation table. Case in point: Tschetchen rebels are now considered terrorists. The vietcong however is not, mainly due to them winning.
Is the distinction made by the military status of the prisoner, the location to which the prisoner is taken, state of hostilities?
Ideally a military tribunal would decide in cases of doubt. Note however that civilians are protected under the Hague conventions as well. So there would still be protection against execution and torture. However, nobody is there to enforce these protections, so....
------------
------------
My LPs
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Simon_Jester wrote:Er, to clarify, we cannot reasonably class prisoners in the hands of ISIL as "prisoners of war" when we know they will not be treated as such.
So were US/British/ANZAC troopers not prisoners of war because Japan sent them on death marches (far more brutal than anything ISIS did so far)?
Thanas, Stas, you know as well as I do that ISIL is predictably going to threaten to kill the Jordanian pilot unless some demand is met, or unless some ransom is paid, and then if they're not satisfied they will predictably kill him publicly for propaganda purposes. We know this because they have done so in the past under similar circumstances.
No, they did not. Their threats so far applied only to civilian prisoners. Yes, ISIS killed captured combatants fighting against them before but as far as I know without any demands, simply to send message to enemy.

ISIL has NO meaningful excuse not to keep prisoners and abide by the laws of war in this matter, at least in broad. I don't think Nuremberg decisions applying to partisans and guerillas should apply here.
Only less that 1/3 of actual countries signed all of Geneva Conventions with all protocols, what excuse they have? Alas, no one claims that combatants captured in wars waged by other 2/3 of states don't gain PoW status. That's why Geneva Conventions recognize bad treatment of prisoners as war crime - if you could claim they were not PoWs because you don't recognize them as such, it would be pointless, don't you think?

No, the only reason for press to claim he is a "hostage" and not PoW is the same motive USA had when they refused to give the people they captured PoW status inventing various funny terms. To make the enemy in the eyes of public opinion just some irrelevant terrorist band in third world country, because a lot more people would start asking questions if you declared them underground state or liberation revolt, and their fighters prisoners, not 'illegally combative individuals'.

They would also have a lot more internationally recognized rights, making freedomizing them by liberal, unrestrained bombing much more problematic and forcing you to actually apply some effort in target picking lest you end up like these poor chaps from the CIA report 2 weeks ago, slanderously blamed for just doing your work :?

Not that I claim ISIS shouldn't be fought, but please, let's do it without Bush/Cheney era newspeak demonising and belittling the enemy. No one claimed "mission accomplished" over ISIS yet, there is really no reason to try to whitewash all stains on pretty re-election photo-op anymore.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Not that I claim ISIS shouldn't be fought, but please, let's do it without Bush/Cheney era newspeak demonising and belittling the enemy.
That is not what Simon is trying to do. He is claiming that if Group X is going to treat Prisoners Y as if they were hostages rather than POWs, than we should call it what it is. Hostage taking.

In this way, said prisoners can be both POWs and Hostages. They have (or should have) the legal status of POWs. If they are treated as hostages rather than POWs the belligerent power holding them might be guilty of war crimes.

You are not belittling someone by accusing them of doing a thing they are actually doing. I dont belittle the CIA by calling the people they rendition Torture Victims. Irrespective of their legal status as noncombatants, combatants etc, that is what they often are.
I would suggest that he is a POW just like any other prisoner of a military raid.

After all, if you send a commando team behind enemy lines and they capture a supply depot with soldiers, those captured soldiers are still afforded the same protection (it is just that special forces frequently ignore them due to practicability). But if they get a pass, why shouldn't ISIS?
It just seems to be that the two conditions (POW and Hostage) are not mutually exclusive terms. Take that same commando team that captures a supply depot and assume they actually take prisoners (I know, fat chance, but work with me). Say the local garrison hears the alarm go off and surrounds the building. Said commando team wants to get out alive, so they threaten to kill their prisoners if they are not permitted to leave. The Prisoners are POWs and Hostages. If the commando team starts killing them, they should be dragged shackled into the Hague.

The term POW is a legal status that attaches to a person irrespective of the behavior of their capturer. Someone who has a war crime committed against them does not lose their POW status. Unless of course we want to get into the minutae of whether that status applies for prisoners taken by non-signatories/non-declarants (as I recall, Geneva has provisions for non-state powers that declare their intent to follow the conventions).

"Take prisoner" is a verb phrase used to denote the act of holding someone against their will with no reference to the manner in which this is done.\

"Take as a prisoner of war" being a verb phrase used to denote the act of holding someone against their will with the intent to treat them as a recognized and protected hostile combatant

"Take hostage" being a verb phrase used to denote the act of holding someone against their will in order to use them as leverage against another person or party through the use of threats against the imprisoned.

Someone can Be a POW, and be Taken Hostage.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Irbis wrote:No, the only reason for press to claim he is a "hostage" and not PoW is the same motive USA had when they refused to give the people they captured PoW status inventing various funny terms. To make the enemy in the eyes of public opinion just some irrelevant terrorist band in third world country, because a lot more people would start asking questions if you declared them underground state or liberation revolt, and their fighters prisoners, not 'illegally combative individuals'.

They would also have a lot more internationally recognized rights, making freedomizing them by liberal, unrestrained bombing much more problematic and forcing you to actually apply some effort in target picking lest you end up like these poor chaps from the CIA report 2 weeks ago, slanderously blamed for just doing your work :?
Even if ISIL was a state, it would be a state akin to Imperial Japan during World War II: violently expansionist, engaging in genocide and enslaving women as sex slaves. So I don't think you need to declare that they are merely an organised crime syndicate with delusions of grandeur to convince people they need their teeth kicked in. If there is a deliberate effort to avoid calling ISIL a belligerent power I would think it would be because becoming a major power is ISIL's stated objective and people don't want to give them the satisfaction of implying they are making progress towards that goal.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:In which case it is totally correct as a matter of basic English usage to call him a hostage. Insofar as he is in any sense a "prisoner of war" it is in the medieval sense, in which prisoners were hostages, who were routinely ransomed back to their loved ones, or held imprisoned as leverage in a political dispute, or summarily killed if keeping them was inconvenient (e.g. Agincourt).
Actually, Agincourt is often regarded as the greatest warcrime in the middle ages because those captured had surrendered on their word of honour.
It is, and I know it is, but unless I am badly wrong (which I concede I might be), it wasn't the only time prisoners were killed. It was a massive breach of customary surrender rules, on a scale unprecedented in the history
No, unless a demand is met he is a prisoner. Even when a ransom demand is made he is still not a hostage, as prisoner exchanges often include some sort of payment.
I accept that in modern times 'hostage' carries an overtone of criminality, enough so that one may argue it is incorrect.

It is debateable whether ISIL is a large criminal organization or a legitimate quasi-state organization; they act in many ways criminal but still meet many of the qualifications for a state.
So...they are like the Yugoslav Partisans in 1944 and 1945? Or the Warsaw Uprising?
Like the Yugoslav Partisans in 1945? Probably. I think it would actually be justified to start expecting the Partisans to take prisoners more or less properly in 1945.

Like the Warsaw Uprising? Not so much, because they were hemmed in inside an urban area by overwhelmingly powerful enemy forces.

Note that for much the same reason I do not expect Hamas to abide by the POW rules for nation-states or anything close to them. They control a territory, but cannot secure it against armed intrusion and have no realistic prospect of defending themselves for long in the event of actual war.
I don't think Nuremberg decisions applying to partisans and guerillas should apply here.
Why not? Both are irregular powers, financed by outsiders and using whatever weapon they have at hand. They also specialize in terror tactics (don't think that wasn't a mainstay of WWII resistances everywhere).

You only can differentiate them if you go down the bad road of "well, they are bad people, so the law doesn't apply to them".
No. It is about territorial security. If you have a secure rear area in which prisoners can realistically be fed and guarded indefinitely, you should take prisoners, and keep them there, in conditions as humane as the exigencies of economics and war permit. That is the basic idea that underlies all modern conventions on POW treatment.

The Nuremberg decision applies very clearly to partisans with no fixed, secure base. Such as the Maquis, or the Iraqi guerillas fighting the US occupation. Even though I consider that one of these organizations was right to fight as they fought, and the other was wrong, it does not matter. Both are in my eyes exempt from being expected to guard POWs, because in practice it would be impossible for them to do so.

I question whether the Nuremberg decision applies to partisans with a solid fixed, secure base and the ability to hold their perimeter for a long if not indefinite span of time. The Yugoslav partisans of 1945 probably had at least as much territorial security and a better long-term prospect of holding the land they occupied than, say, 1914-15 era Serbia during World War One. Accordingly, it is not unreasonable to expect said Yugoslav partisans to take prisoners and at least try to treat them properly, much as the Serbian Army did.

I would likewise argue that ISIL can reasonably be expected to guard POWs, just like the Yugoslav partisans could. Even though I think the Yugoslav partisans were right to be fighting Nazis, while ISIL is wrong to be fighting at all, that does not matter. Both are in my eyes expected to treat prisoners humanely, and not to behead them on international TV for propaganda footage.

So please do not accuse me of hypocrisy here.

If I thought ISIL had as little time to live as the Warsaw Uprising, or was as vulnerable to enemy flying columns penetrating its territory to take POW camps, as Hamas or the Maquis... I would see the matter quite differently.
Thanas wrote:I would suggest that he is a POW just like any other prisoner of a military raid. After all, if you send a commando team behind enemy lines and they capture a supply depot with soldiers, those captured soldiers are still afforded the same protection (it is just that special forces frequently ignore them due to practicability). But if they get a pass, why shouldn't ISIS?
If ISIL sends commandos to strike the sort of target my country usually sends commandos after, and they capture some of our soldiers in the process, I do not think they should be punished in any way our own commandos wouldn't be punished.

Although I must note all commando units, especially those who do not take prisoners, are taking considerably higher risks of being treated as spies or war criminals than an ordinary soldier. This has been a constant reality of special operations warfare since at least the 19th century (see Andrews' Raid during the American Civil War, an example of American commandos being tried as spies and executed by other (rebel) Americans).
Thing is that IMO the difference between state and non-state actors has never been considered and seeing how most of the drafting nations were colonial powers with lots of unrest, it is easy to see why. Sadly, there is not an impartal tribunal considering that (thanks, Clinton)...

Ideally a military tribunal would decide in cases of doubt. Note however that civilians are protected under the Hague conventions as well. So there would still be protection against execution and torture. However, nobody is there to enforce these protections, so....
If such a tribunal existed, would it have the power to enforce its own rulings? Who would enforce upon ISIL the necessity to honor proper rules for treatment of civilians and POWs?

Irbis wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Er, to clarify, we cannot reasonably class prisoners in the hands of ISIL as "prisoners of war" when we know they will not be treated as such.
So were US/British/ANZAC troopers not prisoners of war because Japan sent them on death marches (far more brutal than anything ISIS did so far)?
Honestly, since Japan appears to have had no meaningful concept of "prisoner of war" distinct from "slaves to be worked to death for our amusement," I think I might reasonably answer "yes."

In the literal sense, they had taken prisoners during a war: "prisoners of war."

However, they were not remotely likely to honor the legal obligations that come with POW status in the modern civilized world.

Therefore, it would not be unjust to classify the Allied captives in Japanese hands by other terms. Certainly we should not use the term "POW" to in any way dignify how the Japanese treated their captives. It's a smaller scale version of the problem with calling concentration camps "detainment facilities" instead of, say, "extermination camps." It's intellectually dishonest because it effectively tries to whitewash a human rights violation.
No, they did not. Their threats so far applied only to civilian prisoners. Yes, ISIS killed captured combatants fighting against them before but as far as I know without any demands, simply to send message to enemy.
Ah. Then I was mistaken.

In that case, 'hostage' would be inaccurate, because I'm not a hostage if you're planning to murder me out of hand anyway no matter what I do.

What would be an appropriate term for a person who is alive, but in the hands of an organization that plans to kill them "simply to send a message?"

I don't know... victim?

Only less that 1/3 of actual countries signed all of Geneva Conventions with all protocols, what excuse they have? Alas, no one claims that combatants captured in wars waged by other 2/3 of states don't gain PoW status. That's why Geneva Conventions recognize bad treatment of prisoners as war crime - if you could claim they were not PoWs because you don't recognize them as such, it would be pointless, don't you think?
A nation that has not signed the extra protocols to the Geneva Conventions has still (as a rule) signed the core part of the Conventions and can be held accountable for following those rules.

Among which rules are "you don't kill prisoners out of hand to 'send a message' to your enemies. Or if you do so, expect them to receive the message and reply violently." This is basic common sense.
No, the only reason for press to claim he is a "hostage" and not PoW is the same motive USA had when they refused to give the people they captured PoW status inventing various funny terms. To make the enemy in the eyes of public opinion just some irrelevant terrorist band in third world country, because a lot more people would start asking questions if you declared them underground state or liberation revolt, and their fighters prisoners, not 'illegally combative individuals'.
To hell with you.

I have made my OWN purposes in saying this quite clear.

I supported calling him a hostage because I believed that ISIL was going to treat him the way a gang of criminals treats a hostage- brutally, with a messy death in his future if Jordan failed to comply with some list of demands.

If I'm wrong and he's simply going to be shot out of hand, it is not accurate to call him a hostage. He's a victim, in much the same sense that Jews rounded up by Einsatzgruppen were. The fact that he was captured in arms against ISIL is irrelevant; you don't kill POWs out of hand like that.

Calling him a POW is misleading because it implies that he will be treated the way the law says POWs are supposed to be treated.
Do you have the faintest idea what "liberal, unrestrained bombing" of the territory ISIL occupies would look like?

I mean for fuck's sake, you seem to be just shrugging off the fact that ISIL kills prisoners out of hand to send a message. But you dwell at some length on the fact that the CIA tortures prisoners.

How is this not hypocrisy on your part? Of course the CIA should be investigated, probed, and probably taken apart and put back together after microscopic vetting of its component parts with widespread purges of the responsible parties! But ISIL does things even worse than the CIA, routinely, regularly, and you just shrug and say it in a matter of fact tone and move on.

Because criticizing ISIL is too easy, and criticizing the CIA is fun.
Not that I claim ISIS shouldn't be fought, but please, let's do it without Bush/Cheney era newspeak demonising and belittling the enemy. No one claimed "mission accomplished" over ISIS yet, there is really no reason to try to whitewash all stains on pretty re-election photo-op anymore.
This is not doublespeak, it is a blunt recognition of the fact that ISIL has neither the inclination nor, apparently, the infrastructure to handle POWs in a meaningful sense. They just kill them. If that results in them being demonized, perhaps they should stop behaving demonically.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:It just seems to be that the two conditions (POW and Hostage) are not mutually exclusive terms. Take that same commando team that captures a supply depot and assume they actually take prisoners (I know, fat chance, but work with me). Say the local garrison hears the alarm go off and surrounds the building. Said commando team wants to get out alive, so they threaten to kill their prisoners if they are not permitted to leave. The Prisoners are POWs and Hostages. If the commando team starts killing them, they should be dragged shackled into the Hague.
You are right, they are not mutually exclusive. But the article only calls him "hostage", not "hostage and POW". Or rather the article weasels itself out of making any statement and always quotes the Jordanian military with the status as "hostage".
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Irbis wrote:
Aside from us probably not knowing the most brutal things ISIL have done to date, can we please not make this a pissing match about which group was more evil than the other? Being less brutal than Imperial Japan does not make one a good guy and, to be honest, all sides in WWII did some pretty fucked up brutal shit.

I am concerned about what's going to happen to the downed pilot - do we have any more news on the man?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Welf wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:It just seems to be that the two conditions (POW and Hostage) are not mutually exclusive terms. Take that same commando team that captures a supply depot and assume they actually take prisoners (I know, fat chance, but work with me). Say the local garrison hears the alarm go off and surrounds the building. Said commando team wants to get out alive, so they threaten to kill their prisoners if they are not permitted to leave. The Prisoners are POWs and Hostages. If the commando team starts killing them, they should be dragged shackled into the Hague.
You are right, they are not mutually exclusive. But the article only calls him "hostage", not "hostage and POW". Or rather the article weasels itself out of making any statement and always quotes the Jordanian military with the status as "hostage".
The POW bit goes without saying. What, do you think Jordan does not consider one of their pilots a legal POW who should be treated as such under the Geneva Conventions? Of course they do.

Do you think ANY reader is going to read that article and think to themselves "Oh, well, he is an illegal combatant so whatever happens happens"

No. Dont be fucking stupid.

But he is not being held as a Prisoner of War. He is, at best, being held As a Hostage. If not simply a Victim. The bit with him Being a Prisoner of War legally does not become functionally relevant until someone drags someone else before a court of competent jurisdiction.

Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Thanas wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Simon, I think arguing with an attorney about legal definitions of things is generally a bad career move.
I honestly am not that big of an expert on the law of war though, so I won't speak from authority here.
You're a lawyer? I always thought you're some kind of history researcher.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:The POW bit goes without saying. What, do you think Jordan does not consider one of their pilots a legal POW who should be treated as such under the Geneva Conventions? Of course they do.

Do you think ANY reader is going to read that article and think to themselves "Oh, well, he is an illegal combatant so whatever happens happens"

No. Dont be fucking stupid.

But he is not being held as a Prisoner of War. He is, at best, being held As a Hostage. If not simply a Victim. The bit with him Being a Prisoner of War legally does not become functionally relevant until someone drags someone else before a court of competent jurisdiction.
Not being fucking stupid sounds like a good idea; I would suggest likewise. I wasn't talking about what the Jordanian military thinks about this case; I was talking what the article quotes and how it presents opinions and quotes. This isn't about what actual legal status the prisoner has, this is about how western governments, their allies and supporting media presents ISIS.
Also, I why would Jordan want their soldier to be a POW? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he is not a POW, wouldn't that mean is a normal civilian? And thus have actually more rights than a POW, since you can't imprison random people. And even less government officials.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Welf wrote:
Thanas wrote:
You're a lawyer? I always thought you're some kind of history researcher.
Why can't he be both?
Welf wrote: Also, I why would Jordan want their soldier to be a POW? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he is not a POW, wouldn't that mean is a normal civilian? And thus have actually more rights than a POW, since you can't imprison random people. And even less government officials.
They could imprison a random person who had bombed their buildings. Which is likely what this pilot either did or was trying his best to do.

(Edited to remove excessive quoting)
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Jordanian pilot was definitely captured in arms against ISIL. ISIL is totally within their rights to take him prisoner, stick him in a prison camp, and hang on to him until the end of the war. So long as he is treated with some basic, minimal humanity and dignity, that's quite acceptable under international law- which places certain restrictions on what you can do with prisoners of war.

It would beggar belief that the Jordanian could be seen as anything other than a soldier in an armed conflict, or that he could claim even for a moment to enjoy civilian status.

The problem is not the idea of the Jordanian being treated as a soldier captured in arms against ISIL.

The problem is that based on past precedent, ISIL is more likely to murder the Jordanian for use in propaganda to enthuse their own people, or to make some kind of ransom demand in exchange for his not being murdered. Which would violate the laws of war quite extensively, and be yet another example of ISIL being vicious and abusive toward people in its power.

*And by this I mean demands other than POW exchanges, which are a time-honored custom.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Simon_Jester wrote:The Jordanian pilot was definitely captured in arms against ISIL. ISIL is totally within their rights to take him prisoner, stick him in a prison camp, and hang on to him until the end of the war. So long as he is treated with some basic, minimal humanity and dignity, that's quite acceptable under international law- which places certain restrictions on what you can do with prisoners of war. [snip]

The problem is that based on past precedent, ISIL is more likely to murder the Jordanian for use in propaganda to enthuse their own people, or to make some kind of ransom demand in exchange for his not being murdered. Which would violate the laws of war quite extensively, and be yet another example of ISIL being vicious and abusive toward people in its power.

*And by this I mean demands other than POW exchanges, which are a time-honored custom.
ISIL would have to be acting more crazy than normal to execute this guy for propaganda. He flies an F-16 for a smallish country with money to throw around; he's probably Jordan's highly-trained version of Maverick, or at least Goose. If ISIL just did a rational POW exchange they could probably get back a hundred low-priority true believers for this guy.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Raw Shark wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:The Jordanian pilot was definitely captured in arms against ISIL. ISIL is totally within their rights to take him prisoner, stick him in a prison camp, and hang on to him until the end of the war. So long as he is treated with some basic, minimal humanity and dignity, that's quite acceptable under international law- which places certain restrictions on what you can do with prisoners of war. [snip]

ISIL would have to be acting more crazy than normal to execute this guy for propaganda. He flies an F-16 for a smallish country with money to throw around; he's probably Jordan's highly-trained version of Maverick, or at least Goose. If ISIL just did a rational POW exchange they could probably get back a hundred low-priority true believers for this guy.
The problem here is that ISIL have demonstrated unusual levels of fanaticism. Like, North Korea or worse levels. It's quite possible, if not outright probable, they'll laugh in the face of anybody proposing an exchange and plaster videos of this poor guy getting his head whacked off all over the Internet.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Raw Shark wrote:ISIL would have to be acting more crazy than normal to execute this guy for propaganda. He flies an F-16 for a smallish country with money to throw around; he's probably Jordan's highly-trained version of Maverick, or at least Goose. If ISIL just did a rational POW exchange they could probably get back a hundred low-priority true believers for this guy.
I'm not sure if it would be crazy for them to execute that guy. I think ISIS made up to 3 million USD per day in it's heyday. A few hundred thousands of possible hostage money is not a small amount, especially now since the oil price is down, but not a significant amount either. It might be actually be more valuable to execute the pilot and show strength and willingness for total war to attract more donations and volunteers.
Zilkar
Redshirt

Post by Zilkar »

Welf wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:ISIL would have to be acting more crazy than normal to execute this guy for propaganda. He flies an F-16 for a smallish country with money to throw around; he's probably Jordan's highly-trained version of Maverick, or at least Goose. If ISIL just did a rational POW exchange they could probably get back a hundred low-priority true believers for this guy.
I'm not sure if it would be crazy for them to execute that guy. I think ISIS made up to 3 million USD per day in it's heyday. A few hundred thousands of possible hostage money is not a small amount, especially now since the oil price is down, but not a significant amount either. It might be actually be more valuable to execute the pilot and show strength and willingness for total war to attract more donations and volunteers.
Actually, under the Third Geneva Convention, ISIS is required to protect the pilot under Article 13.

There is no doubt that the pilot is a POW, and that ISIS meets the definitions of combatants under Article 4 with the exception of "...conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war."

Accordingly, if they execute the pilot they have indisputably committed a war crime, and will be liable. Small consolation for the pilot, and likely not a big deterrent to ISIS, but for Western militaries it is necessary to follow the Conventions in all cases.

ISIS may get more volunteers and donations as a result of an execution, but in violating the Conventions they expose any of their members taken prisoner to the whole "unlawful combatants" mess.
Last edited by SCRawl on 2014-12-31 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted duplicate post - SCRawl
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I was not aware that ISIS had signed the convention, so this is a moot point anyway. You cannot violate a law you don't have...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.