Malaysia Airlines 777 Crash (Europe)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Malaysia Airlines 777 Crash (Europe)

Post by TimothyC »

From the BBC World News Facebook Page:
BREAKING- Reports that a Malaysian passenger airliner
with 295 people on board has crashed in Ukraine near the Russian
border.

The Boeing 777 plane was flying from Amsterdam to
Kuala Lumpur. More to follow.
And the Telegraph has it now too:
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Malaysia Airlines 777 Crash (Europe)

Post by Mr Bean »

It rare when I cross my fingers and hope this is not an shoot down but mechanical accident.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Reports coming in that it was shot down.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Not good news for Malaysia Airlines.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Just heard on MSNBC that it was a Buk ground-to-air missile.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Can a Buk do that to an airliner at cruising altitude?

Dammit.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

ray245 wrote:Not good news for Malaysia Airlines.
I am not sure which is worse. That it might be mechanical failure or maintenance failure or that it was shot down.

Was that air space open for commercial traffic or wasit restricted
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Ukrainians are claiming that, naturally, because they know that the rebels took control of one of their Buk units. Whether its actually true or not is another matter - how would they even know, given it literally just happened? I'll grant its plausible though.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Vympel wrote:
The Ukrainians are claiming that, naturally, because they know that the rebels took control of one of their Buk units. Whether its actually true or not is another matter - how would they even know, given it literally just happened? I'll grant its plausible though.
What's the point of even speculating on that on Ukraine's part
I do know how to spell
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

AniThyng wrote:
To make the rebels look bad, as usual.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Vympel wrote:
AniThyng wrote:
To make the rebels look bad, as usual.
And if it's false it will last about as long as it takes to prove it wasn't.

Not that I have any idea how the hell this would happen now, unlike MH370 at least we supposedly know where the wreck is, but who will get there? Who controls the area? Would the Ukraine or rebels allow the NSTB in this time?
I do know how to spell
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

AniThyng wrote:
And if it's false it will last about as long as it takes to prove it wasn't.
Only for people who care. I mean for fuck's sake, the New York Times' Ukraine coverage has been so shamelessly propagandistic that it can honestly be said that they are more shcoked about looters being executed on the orders of by Igor 'Strelkov' Girkin than the hundreds of civilians being killed by shelling of the Ukrainian Army.
Not that I have any idea how the hell this would happen now, unlike MH370 at least we supposedly know where the wreck is, but who will get there? Who controls the area? Would the Ukraine or rebels allow the NSTB in this time?
At best you could say the area is 'contested'. It could be really difficult.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

I think it's too much of a coincidence for it to crash there without having been shot down by either part involved in the conflict. I really don't think an experienced radar technician would confuse a passenger jet from a military plane if this plane was downed, then one should start looking at the rebels. Also, on CNN, it was said that the Americans have concluded that the An 26 that was shot down in the very same area this Monday was downed by a missile from the Russian side of the border.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

What other commercial air traffic was in the vicinity? Should the MAS plane have been there at all? I'm pretty sure that is the normal route, but given the circumstances, should airlines have routed around the area? Were there directives from Ukraine/Russia/ICAO to that effect?
I do know how to spell
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

AniThyng wrote:What other commercial air traffic was in the vicinity? Should the MAS plane have been there at all? I'm pretty sure that is the normal route, but given the circumstances, should airlines have routed around the area? Were there directives from Ukraine/Russia/ICAO to that effect?
I think someone failed to file the proper paperwork or failed to do their homework...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
AniThyng wrote:What other commercial air traffic was in the vicinity? Should the MAS plane have been there at all? I'm pretty sure that is the normal route, but given the circumstances, should airlines have routed around the area? Were there directives from Ukraine/Russia/ICAO to that effect?
I think someone failed to file the proper paperwork or failed to do their homework...
Are you insinuating that if it was in fact a shoot down, it was MAS's fault for routing the plane over there?
I do know how to spell
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

AniThyng wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Are you insinuating that if it was in fact a shoot down, it was MAS's fault for routing the plane over there?
Why don't you ask MAS what the flight route is? At this point, there are too little details over what's going on, never mind that we have no idea who's going to even go to investigate the wreckage right in the middle of a war zone.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Look, the approximate location of the wreckage and the territory is at this point not a secret, all I'm asking is was the region declared no-go for civilian airliner traffic at all, and if you are going to just tell me to fucking google it, then you can piss off.
I do know how to spell
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

AniThyng wrote:Look, the approximate location of the wreckage and the territory is at this point not a secret, all I'm asking is was the region declared no-go for civilian airliner traffic at all, and if you are going to just tell me to fucking google it, then you can piss off. Now if Sea Skimmer came in here and told me to just fucking google it I maybe would listen.
http://www.unn.com.ua/ru/news/1362709-d ... QM.twitter

Apparently, as of 8th July, yes.
Kreia
Hokalus
Redshirt

Post by Hokalus »

according to this site http://euroasianews.com/ukraine-closes- ... peratists/ closure excluded international transits above 7,900m
Eastern Ukraine’s air space has been closed due to the intensified military operations, Ukrainian state-run air transport institution announced Tuesday.

A ten-day ceasefire ended June 30 and Ukrainian troops re-launched attacks against pro-Russian separatists in eastern regions. In the rebel-stronghold of Slavyansk city where separatists laid siege to weeks ago, the Ukrainian army made a major gain in the offensives by seizing back control of the rebel-stronghold on Saturday.

The eastern Donetsk region will remain closed for flights until Ukraine army’s air-supported operation against pro-Russian separatists concludes, local sources said.

Local aviation officials also announced that they closed the eastern airspace for any civilian flights until the level of security returns to normal. The closure, however, excludes international transit flights higher than 7,900 metres through the airspace.

Large groups of rebels fleeing from Slavyansk are regrouping in Donetsk, amid Ukraine’s successful operations to take back control of eastern regions including Artemivsk, Druzhkivka, Kramatorsk and Kostiantynivka last week. The army also intensified its attacks in another separatist stronghold in the Lugansk region on Monday leaving one civilian dead and one other injured.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

AniThyng wrote:Not that I have any idea how the hell this would happen now, unlike MH370 at least we supposedly know where the wreck is, but who will get there? Who controls the area? Would the Ukraine or rebels allow the NSTB in this time?
The US NTSB has no jurisdiction outside US territories, of course. In the past they have provided various services and consulting to other nations, and they always offer, but they invariably wait for an explicit invitation before moving. I am also equally confident Europe has fine aviation investigators. Given the location and circumstances it might be best if the European agencies handle this.

If I heard correctly it's a Boeing then Boeing will also likewise offer to help with any investigation.

As far as the airspace status and air routes – we may have been complacent about a few things. I don't know at what point it became practical, outside of the most advanced military hardware (US, USSR, etc.) to shoot an airliner down at cruising altitude but the fact is even lower tier militaries and rebels are getting more access to powerful weaponry. If it is now practical on a wide scale for entities on the ground to shoot down airliners at those altitudes there will be a whole lot of re-assessing of flights paths in airlines around the world.

Yes, it is probably best to route civilian traffic of all sorts around conflict areas, but if up until now the industry wisdom was that one could “route around” by going higher as well as moving laterally then it may be that MAS was acting within normal industry practices. Going to a higher altitude to avoid a hazard, whether weather or something going on down on the ground is a normal aviation practice. Which hazards can actually be avoided by that may need revision.

As always, this is early days in the story and more information will come to light, no doubt.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Russian news sites are apparently running the cockamamie story that the Ukrainians shot the plane down, thinking it was President Putin's plane.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Mange wrote:Russian news sites are apparently running the cockamamie story that the Ukrainians shot the plane down, thinking it was President Putin's plane.
Honestly I would not be surprised if either of the three sides shot it down as a false flag operation to blame the other.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Purple wrote:Honestly I would not be surprised if either of the three sides shot it down as a false flag operation to blame the other.
Three sides?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if it turns out Russia shot it down, would it be potentially sufficient to cause a war between Europe/America and Russia?