NYPD Detective Admits to Planting Drugs to Boost Arrests

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

NYPD Detective Admits to Planting Drugs to Boost Arrests

Post by Lord MJ »

http://www.loop21.com/politics/nypd-det ... st-arrests

Det. Stephen Anderson exposes a "culture" of NYPD false arrests
Former narcotics detective Stephen Anderson testified in a Brooklyn Supreme Court hearing that New York police regularly engaged in a practice called "flaking," or what we know as cops planting drugs on innocent people and then arresting them. The practice was apparently tolerated to boost arrests statistics for detectives, as explained in a corruption trial for NYPD detective Jason Arbeeny.

"As a detective, you still have a number to reach while you are in the narcotics division," said Anderson, as reported by the New York Daily News.

Anderson told a judge that he saw this "flaking" activity happen "multiple times," and that police became numb to the practice. Said Anderson it's "almost like you have no emotion with it, that they attach the bodies to it, they're going to be out of jail tomorrow anyway."

The NYPD did not provide a comment to NY Daily News in response to Anderson's testimony.

Really? So what if they only have to spend a day in jail. Regardless of the ethics of this, if the police get a reputation for stuff like this, it would encourage people to start disregarding their authority which would lead to even more disastrous consequences.

But as to the cause of this, it's too easy to blame "douchebag cops." Rather there should be some scrutiny on the notion of "arrest quotas." Why do they have that?
CrateriaA
Youngling

Re: NYPD Detective Admits to Planting Drugs to Boost Arrests

Post by CrateriaA »

Fuck these criminals in charge of the NYPD. I really hope this practice doesn't spread to other states. Got a beef with a certain cop? Get a drug planted and you get arrested. :finger:
"Who knew the Dark Side of the Force was so anti-free market?"
"He's gonna pull a Will Smith and flip-turn America upside down!!!"-Me on Herman Cain's 999 Tax Plan
I'LL GET OVER IT, I'LL GET OVER IT
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Throw all the cases out. That'll teach the cops. Fire all the Whiteshirts while we're at it!
Image Image
CrateriaA
Youngling

Post by CrateriaA »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Throw all the cases out. That'll teach the cops. Fire all the Whiteshirts while we're at it!
Are you being serious or sarcastic? My detector is off today.
"Who knew the Dark Side of the Force was so anti-free market?"
"He's gonna pull a Will Smith and flip-turn America upside down!!!"-Me on Herman Cain's 999 Tax Plan
I'LL GET OVER IT, I'LL GET OVER IT
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

Destructionator XIII wrote:It's a simple way for the bosses to make sure you are working, just like "customers talked to" or "lines of code written".

I'm sure the idea is just like there's almost always enough customers to hit a quota when you work one of those jobs, there's supposed to be enough crime to hit the arrests if you work the full day and don't jerk off at the donut shop.

But I don't know, maybe crime is down and the managers haven't caught up, or they thought bigger numbers would encourage cops to work harder without realizing it just makes them more likely to cheat.

(I work on a codebase that was written by a guy paid by the line... it's about 10x longer and slower than it has to be... because he copy/pasted a lot of shit over and over to pad it out. Ugh.)
What incentive do the police have to lower arrest quotas? If less arrest are going on and less crime is going on then when a budget crisis happens what do you think will be on the chopping block?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Setting stupid KPIs leads to employees acting to fulfil those KPIs instead of the desirable behaviours managers 'expected'. Who knew?

That's right - everyone since the 50s. This is first-year university stuff. Too bad TOUGH ON CRIME is so political.
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

CrateriaA wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Throw all the cases out. That'll teach the cops. Fire all the Whiteshirts while we're at it!
Are you being serious or sarcastic? My detector is off today.
Whether he's joking or not, at the least the fact that the officer planted evidence brings every single one of his convictions into question. Every single person behind bars that this officer was involved with can now create reasonable doubt that the evidence in their case was planted as well.

We very well may see new trials granted, and convictions thrown out.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net