Obama screws over EPA and enviromentalists (Ozone)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Obama screws over EPA and enviromentalists (Ozone)

Post by Thanas »

Source
Obama ozone decision blindsides enviros - and his own EPA

Leaders of environmental and public health groups arrived at the White House Friday morning for what was supposed to be a look-ahead at the fall energy and environment agenda.

What they got instead was a rude awakening.

Administration officials told the stunned enviros that President Barack Obama was pulling the plug on plans to tighten Bush-era ozone standards — standards Obama’s own EPA chief has previously declared “not legally defensible.”

The environmentalists may have been the last to know, but not by much; an administration official told POLITICO that the White House didn’t notify the EPA of the decision until Thursday — and that EPA officials were not involved in the decision-making process.

The EPA was “completely blindsided by this,” said John Walke, clean air director at the Natural Resources Defense Council.

As recently as last month, EPA lawyers were asking a federal appellate court in Washington to delay litigation over the Bush-era ozone standard because a new Obama ozone rule was just around the corner.

But on Friday, Obama announced that he was asking EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson to put the new rule on ice — characterizing the decision as part of a larger effort aimed at “reducing regulatory burdens and regulatory uncertainty, particularly as our economy continues to recover.”

The about-face has environmentalists and other progressives fuming.

“Many MoveOn members are wondering today how they can ever work for President Obama's reelection, or make the case for him to their neighbors, when he does something like this, after extending the Bush tax cuts for the rich, and giving in to Tea Party demands on the debt deal,” MoveOn’s executive director, Justin Ruben said in a statement. “This is a decision we'd expect from George W. Bush.”

The White House quickly deflected suggestions that the president had caved into Republican pressure with the 2012 election looming. “This has nothing to do with politics, nothing at all,” one White House official told reporters Friday on a conference call.

But it’s hard to avoid that impression after industry and congressional Republicans launched an aggressive campaign to convince the administration to drop the standards. Major business groups have warned that the ozone rule would be one of the most expensive environmental rules ever imposed on the U.S. economy — with an estimated cost of up to $90 billion annually — and that a new rule would hurt Obama’s reelection bid.

In 2008, the Bush administration tightened the ozone limits from 84 parts per billion to 75 parts per billion, despite scientific advisers' recommendations to issue a standard that would have taken the limits down to the 60 to 70 parts per billion range.

In January 2010, the Obama EPA proposed moving down to the 60 to 70 parts per billion when averaged over an eight-hour period.

Jackson wrote that she had decided to reconsider the rule based on concerns that the Bush-era standards were “not legally defensible,” given the scientific evidence and the recommendations of the EPA’s independent science advisers.

The EPA sent a final rule to the White House in July for final review. Many observers speculated that the administration would try to appease both sides with a final standard of 70 parts per billion — more than environmentalists wanted, but less than industry feared.

And in fact, an administration source said Friday, the standard the EPA sent to the White House was set at the upper end of the range Obama’s EPA had suggested nearly two years ago.

But even that was apparently too much. With Obama’s approval ratings sinking, with Republicans on the warpath about the burden of environmental regulations — and on a day the administration had to announce that the economy created no new jobs in August — Obama announced that he was abandoning the new ozone rule.

“I want to be clear: My commitment and the commitment of my administration to protecting public health and the environment is unwavering,” he insisted. “I will continue to stand with the hardworking men and women at the EPA as they strive every day to hold polluters accountable and protect our families from harmful pollution. And my administration will continue to vigorously oppose efforts to weaken EPA’s authority under the Clean Air Act or dismantle the progress we have made.”

Environmentalists are skeptical.

“I think obviously the administration has done some great things,” said Tiernan Sittenfeld, the League of Conservation Voters’s senior vice president for government affairs. “But there’s also been some real disappointments, and today’s ozone announcement is at the top of the list."

Industry officials and Republican leaders crowed about the news. "This sudden admission by President Obama that ill-considered regulations do, in fact, have a negative impact upon our economy is a welcome breakthrough,” Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and Ed Whitfield (R-Ky.), chairman of its Energy and Power Subcommittee, said in a statement. “With the president's change of heart on regulations, we welcome his support in having our pro-jobs and pro-growth measures signed into law.”

Jeff Holmstead, an industry attorney and former EPA air chief during the George W. Bush administration, said he was surprised by the fact that Obama took the credit — or the blame — for yanking the rule himself.

“I expected that EPA would quietly withdraw the ozone rule without any fanfare,” he said in a statement. “The political folks at the White House must believe that the president needs to show that he is concerned about too much regulation from EPA.”

The administration could now be put in the awkward position of defending the Bush-era rule in a federal appeals court, despite Jackson’s statement that it’s “not legally defensible.”

Litigation over the 2008 rules has been put on hold while the EPA pledged to reconsider the standards. EPA has repeatedly asked a federal judge to hold off briefing on the issue because it planned to issue the rule soon. Greens and public health advocates said Friday that they intend to push the court to get moving again.

Calling the White House’s decision not to finish reconsidering the ozone standard “inexcusable,” American Lung Association President Charles Connor said his group “now intends to revive its participation in litigation with the administration, which was suspended following numerous assurances that the administration was going to complete this reconsideration and obey the law.”

Obama, once more showing his "unwavering commitment" by doing exactly what the GOP and industry wanted.
Health issues? Naaah, who cares.

EDIT: Statement from moveon.org:
"According to the EPA, the clean air standards the President blocked would have saved up to 12,000 children, elderly folks, and others each year. That means thousands are likely to die because the President caved to big polluters. Many MoveOn members are wondering today how they can ever work for President Obama's re-election, or make the case for him to their neighbors, when he does something like this, after extending the Bush tax cuts for the rich, and giving in to Tea Party demands on the debt deal. This is a decision we'd expect from George W. Bush, not from a Democratic President elected to protect the environment and the health of our children."
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Re: Obama screws over EPA and enviromentalists (Ozone)

Post by Eulogy »

This means that Obama is effectively a serial killer. Joy. :finger:

On the bright side, every time he bends over for GOP cock, he makes it ever more likely that not only wil his dwindling base not reelect him, but finally decide to rise up and take action.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

This is concerning, though I would still expect a Republican to be worse (the recent story about the Perry administration illegally covering up radiation in drinking water comes to mind). I must question moveon.org blaming Obama for the debt deal, though. What would they have preferred? A default? That would have screwed over a lot more people.

I'm not going to claim this is in any way a good or excusable decision, though.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

The Romulan Republic wrote:This is concerning, though I would still expect a Republican to be worse.
What would you like to eat:

a) a shit sandwich
b) a shit sandwich with maggots
c) nothing?
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

The Romulan Republic wrote:This is concerning, though I would still expect a Republican to be worse.
At this stage, that depends on the Republican.

As I said elsewhere, this is no longer indicative of weakness or inexperience in my mind, but collusion (*). It has been for a long while now. Obama's a wolf-in-sheep's clothing, and it's time people accepted that fact.

* I also pointed out that he shed his political milk teeth in Chicago, among America's most corrupt political environments, and that he was mentored in the Senate by Joe "Turncoat" Lieberman. They just picked a guy with no past so he seemed squeaky clean. "Nicely" done.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

So he caved for no reason. Thanks again Obama.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lord Zentei wrote:

As I said elsewhere, this is no longer indicative of weakness or inexperience in my mind, but collusion (*). It has been for a long while now. Obama's a wolf-in-sheep's clothing, and it's time people accepted that fact.

* I also pointed out that he shed his political milk teeth in Chicago, among America's most corrupt political environments, and that he was mentored in the Senate by Joe "Turncoat" Lieberman. They just picked a guy with no past so he seemed squeaky clean. "Nicely" done.
My guess is he did it in a vain attempt at getting some "moderate" Rethugs on his side. It won't work, which he should know by now, if he doesn't already.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Lord Zentei wrote:

Three questions:

1. Which GOP nominee do you think would be better than Obama?
2. Do they have any chance of winning the nomination?
3. When you refer to collusion, are you implying that Obama is some sort of conspiracy Right wing Manchurian candidate (I hope not)?
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

1. Jon Huntsman
2. No, probably not.
3. Hell no. He's just a weasel.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Not really surprised, election season coming up and Obama is if nothing else prepared to fall to his knees for absolutely anything if it gets him votes and support. Expect more of this kind of thing over the next few months, as he starts sucking up to and sucking off any and all corporate backers.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

This is concerning, though I would still expect a Republican to be worse.
RR, is this going to be your response to every damnable thing Obama has done? Go "B-b-b-ut the Republicans would be far worse!!!!"? I am just wondering.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Bluewolf wrote:
RR, is this going to be your response to every damnable thing Obama has done? Go "B-b-b-ut the Republicans would be far worse!!!!"? I am just wondering.

Obama is a centrist. Every viable Republican candidate for president is a radical rightwinger (except for maybe Romney, but I don't think he's viable despite what polls say, plus he's a corporatist whore). So yes, Obama is far better than a Republican.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Hmmmn curious. Would you wager to say he'd be better than 2008 McCain? Let's exclude Palin for a moment. As a singular president, do you think McCain would be much worse. It'd be curious to see if the Tea Party would form the same way under a McCain presidency. I am aware of the hunting and killing of moderate Republicans by Tea Party members.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bluewolf wrote:
Why do you object so to a simple statement of fact?
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

I just was interested given that's the third time I've seen you do that if I remember correctly. I have other issues with it but I don't feel like going into them at the moment.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Bluewolf wrote:Hmmmn curious. Would you wager to say he'd be better than 2008 McCain? Let's exclude Palin for a moment. As a singular president, do you think McCain would be much worse. It'd be curious to see if the Tea Party would form the same way under a McCain presidency. I am aware of the hunting and killing of moderate Republicans by Tea Party members.

No healthcare overhaul
No repeal of DADT
No withdrawal from Iraq
No stimulus
No auto bailout

Yeah, things would be worse.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Flagg wrote:

No healthcare overhaul
There would have still been heathcare reform of some such both of them talked about it to much. However in that case it would be a Republican President negotiating with two Democratic controlled houses of Congress
Flagg wrote: No repeal of DADT
Agreed
Flagg wrote: No withdrawal from Iraq
We've not withdraw yet, we still have nearly 50,000 on the ground with another twenty thousand a short flight away with nearly 100k contractors. I believe we've withdraw from Iraq when we pass the 5,000 mark.
Flagg wrote: No stimulus
There would have been stimulus, it would have been large amounts of tax cuts which made up 50% of the stimulus that did actually pass.
Flagg wrote: No auto bailout
McCain supported that, the only reason there was any question of the auto bail out was because a Democrat was President.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Not that I have a dog in this fight - well, not directly though the election of any US President affects the rest of the world - but this feels like a knife in the back from Obama. At this moment, NOTHING he does gets supported by the thugs on the other side, not even payroll tax cuts. So why the fuck would he want to compromise without even being fucking asked to? As someone said above, this smacks of collusion, not incompetence.

Though I do beg to differ about Huntsman being "better". I've been through his much-touted "jobs proposal" and it is quite horrendous. Top marginal rate of 23%, elimination on the rebates that poor people get, elimination of capital gains taxes (imagine how little Warren Buffet would pay without these...), near-removal of the EPA/DoE, repealing of Obamacare... it's a nightmare that only Republicans could offer. You do not want this guy as president.

This is about the time you start wishing for Hillary.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

UnderAGreySky wrote:Not that I have a dog in this fight - well, not directly though the election of any US President affects the rest of the world - but this feels like a knife in the back from Obama. At this moment, NOTHING he does gets supported by the thugs on the other side, not even payroll tax cuts. So why the fuck would he want to compromise without even being fucking asked to? As someone said above, this smacks of collusion, not incompetence.

Though I do beg to differ about Huntsman being "better". I've been through his much-touted "jobs proposal" and it is quite horrendous. Top marginal rate of 23%, elimination on the rebates that poor people get, elimination of capital gains taxes (imagine how little Warren Buffet would pay without these...), near-removal of the EPA/DoE, repealing of Obamacare... it's a nightmare that only Republicans could offer. You do not want this guy as president.

This is about the time you start wishing for Hillary.
Hillary Clinton ran a sleazy, dishonest campaign that towards the end was increasingly running based on thinly veiled racism. She nearly tore the Democratic Party apart with her increasingly pathetic bid for the nomination. Hell, wasn't her camp the start of the "Birther" crap as well? Fuck her. One of Obama's first big mistakes was giving her a position in his administration.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

I thought she'd done very well in her role right now (though I could be mistaken)?

I don't see much of a problem with the way her campaign was run, I sort of expect dirty tricks from anyone. I'm just wondering if she would have been more "ballsy" than Obama and would not have capitulated as much.

The way I see it, people on the left of the US divide are under the assumption that BO is on their side, so they tend to give him a pass on things even though he's actually always been centre-right. Under Hillary, the position of the president would have been more obvious forcing those on her left to band together and behave as a unit that demands stuff get done. This is speculation, of course, but it's a bit like how the Tea Party forces concessions out of anyone who is even remotely a designated RINO.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Paul Krugman
I’ve actually been avoiding thinking about the latest Obama cave-in, on ozone regulation; these repeated retreats are getting painful to watch. For what it’s worth, I think it’s bad politics. The Obama political people seem to think that their route to victory is to avoid doing anything that the GOP might attack — but the GOP will call Obama a socialist job-killer no matter what they do. Meanwhile, they just keep reinforcing the perception of mush from the wimp, of a president who doesn’t stand for anything.

...tighter ozone regulation would actually have created jobs: it would have forced firms to spend on upgrading or replacing equipment, helping to boost demand. Yes, it would have cost money — but that’s the point! And with corporations sitting on lots of idle cash, the money spent would not, to any significant extent, come at the expense of other investment.

More broadly, if you’re going to do environmental investments — things that are worth doing even in flush times — it’s hard to think of a better time to do them than when the resources needed to make those investments would otherwise have been idle.

So, a lousy decision all around. Are you surprised?
Omega18
Jedi Knight

Post by Omega18 »

UnderAGreySky wrote:Not that I have a dog in this fight - well, not directly though the election of any US President affects the rest of the world - but this feels like a knife in the back from Obama. At this moment, NOTHING he does gets supported by the thugs on the other side, not even payroll tax cuts. So why the fuck would he want to compromise without even being fucking asked to? As someone said above, this smacks of collusion, not incompetence.
The point is ensuring his re-election by making Republicans look like unreasonable nutcases especially to independent voters and some moderates rather than changing the minds of some Republicans in Congress. (Especially if the Republicans nominate a candidate like Rick Perry.)

If Obama makes of point of looking really reasonable and moderate while the Republican simply refuse to cooperate with him on anything period, (especially on the payroll tax cut extension which strikes me as an especially politically dangerous position for Republicans to take) that actually does put Obama in a strong position to win re-election. Its a matter of persuading people that while things might not be great now, they would be way worse if the nutty Republicans take power. (With the additional potential benefit of potentially persuading a significant number of voters that the problem with the US government right now is the number of unreasonable Republicans in Congress.

If you look at the big picture, this is still one specific regulation that Obama is not implementing while he is sticking with implementing others such as higher future car fuel economy standards, while the current crop of Republicans are vastly worse on these sort of issues. It also seems likely that Obama will feel more room to implement decisions like these if he does get re-elected and is not having to worry about that issue in this particular political environment anymore. (Obviously a bad economy is not helpful with regards to a US President getting re-election.) While the position may not be dramatic as would be ideally desirable, the decision to not defend the Defense of Marriage Act in court does further boost the chance of further favorable court rulings on this issue, and Obama has issued some other executive orders and policy directives that are helpful with regards to the position of gays in America. (For instance, Obama's recent policy shift towards ordinarily not deporting individually currently illegally in the country but who have gay partners means gay couples will be able to live in the US means for the moment a bunch of gay couples no longer have the same worry about a gay partner potentially getting deported. If DOMA is overturned by the courts this situation may in fact be permanent.)
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Giving your opponent everything it wants with hardly a struggle puts you in a strong position? Man, the topsy-turvy world of politics.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Omega18
Jedi Knight

Post by Omega18 »

Metahive wrote:Giving your opponent everything it wants with hardly a struggle puts you in a strong position? Man, the topsy-turvy world of politics.
Again Obama is not doing that on certain issues such as immigration and gay rights, or even various other environmental regulations for that matter.

As long as Obama presents a reasonable strong job growth proposal effectively, while its true Republicans are unlikely to support it, this can potentially allow Obama to effectively portray Republicans as unreasonable nuts and help ensure he is re-elected.

As I essentially alluded to previously, its exceedingly probable that Obama would have the EPA implement these regulations eventually during his second term. It would not even be a difficult decision to explain as long as the economic turnaround is noteworthy enough by then.

(For the record its not that I'm thrilled about all of these compromise decisions, but I am pointing out why Obama is making them.)
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Well then, Obama better hope it doesn't backfire on him if a good amount of his base is actually fed up with him.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."