The Republican War on the Environment:

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

The Republican War on the Environment:

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

A rare insightful piece from conservative columnist Steve Chapman Who dares to say what many of us have known for ages.
Kicking off her recent bus tour, Sarah Palin attended a motorcycle rally and took a deep breath. "I love that smell of the emissions," she exulted.
Her comment reflected a common attitude in the Republican Party: Exhaust fumes are as American as apple pie. Cool kids don't need clean air. Arctic ice is overrated.

Republicans like Palin often compete to see who can sound most indifferent to the environment. So someone taking a different tack stands out. Mitt Romney got grief from Rush Limbaugh and others for saying, "I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that."

This is like noticing that bananas are yellow. Mainstream scientists have said the same thing for a long time. But the consensus has spread.

Bjorn Lomborg, a conservative hero for his 2001 book "The Skeptical Environmentalist," now writes, "We have long moved on from any mainstream disagreements about the science of climate change. The crucial, relevant conversation of today is about what to do about climate change."

In "Climate of Extremes," published by the libertarian Cato Institute, scientists Patrick Michaels and Robert Balling Jr. assail various plans to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. But they admit, "Humans are implicated in the planetary warming that began around 1975. Greenhouse gases are likely to be one cause, probably a considerable one..."

Most GOP candidates, however, don't care. Rick Santorum dismisses such claims as "junk science." Michele Bachmann derides the notion that carbon dioxide could be harmful. Tim Pawlenty's campaign declined to answer when asked if he agrees with Romney.

During last year's campaign, the National Journal reported, "Of the 20 serious GOP Senate challengers who have taken a position, 19 have declared that the science of climate change is inconclusive or flat-out incorrect." (The exception: Mark Kirk of Illinois.)

Conservatives fear liberals will use climate change to justify heavy-handed intrusive regulation and wasteful subsidies, and they are right to worry. But that's no excuse for pretending global warming is a myth or refusing to do anything about it. It's an argument for devising cost-effective, market-based remedies that minimize bureaucratic control.

If today's Republican attitude had prevailed four decades ago, Americans would not have such vital measures as the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act. Then, many people worried that environmentalism would strangle economic growth and personal freedom. But both have survived and even flourished.

Conservatives once understood that corporations are not entitled to foul the environment, any more than individuals have the right to dump garbage in the street.

Barry Goldwater, the 1964 GOP presidential nominee, wrote, "When pollution is found, it should be halted at the source, even if this requires stringent government action." As governor of California, Ronald Reagan signed major environmental bills and called for "all-out war against the debauching of the environment."

But modern Republicans think the environment is big enough to take care of itself. They decried President Barack Obama's moratorium on new deepwater drilling, which was imposed to prevent a repeat of last year's catastrophic spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Bush administration gave a green light to mountaintop coal mining, which it admitted would mean burying more than 700 miles of rivers in debris. They see preventing pollution as an unaffordable luxury.

But that's intellectually untenable and politically dangerous. What's more, the GOP doesn't have to surrender its principles to confront environmental reality. There is plenty of room for disagreement, for instance, about how to combat global warming.

The method most congenial to personal and economic freedom is a carbon tax. Instead of putting the government behind favored forms of energy, as the administration likes to do, it would create strong incentives for people to find their own ways to reduce emissions.

It would achieve maximum benefits at minimum cost. It could be revenue-neutral, if the receipts were used to pay for other tax cuts.

A carbon tax is hardly a liberal idea. Among its proponents are Gregory Mankiw, who headed the Council of Economic Advisers under President George W. Bush, and Douglas Holtz-Eakin, John McCain's chief economist during his presidential campaign. But Republican politicians have no interest.

During hard economic times, that approach may work. But at some point, voters will conclude that global warming and other environmental problems demand solutions. And Republicans will be left wondering why they didn't come up with any.
Things many of us have known for years, but a bit of a shocker to hear them coming from a Conservative like Steve Chapman. Comments from the peanut gallery indicate just how far gone much of the Right is on this issue:
Carbon dioxide is not pollution, it's plant food. All cereal crops have higher yields in increased CO2, and most require less water when CO2 levels are increased. It's foreign aid to the starving rural masses of the world that the UN and kleptocratic governments cannot steal on them.

What a bunch of sweeping unfounded generalizations. As if pollution and global warming were the same thing. It's entirely justified by research that pollution is caused by people and can be reversed by stopping it. Global warming is something else entirely! There is not enough evidence to prove one way or the other that people have any influence on it at all. Let's spend our time dealing with what we CAN do something about, and stop all the distraction and political gamesmanship this global warming hoax is causing.
What a load of crap! I love the fact that he cites Republican support from the Bush II and McCain camps. They lack conservative credibility with me.

The Earth is constantly going through "climate change." Our planet is not static. If it were, I would ask the environuts, just what is the ideal climate for the Earth? The sun plays a far more important role in our climate than mere human beings. I read yesterday that we may be approaching another Maunder Minimum, meaning a potential little ice age. What will the solution to that problem be, fire off some nukes at the sun?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Republican War on the Environment:

Post by wautd »

Carbon dioxide is not pollution, it's plant food. All cereal crops have higher yields in increased CO2, etc...
Yeah, while it sounds logical (from a conservatard, no less) but it's not always (never?) the case.

Reading the rest of the comments, I looks like the American industrial lobby is highly succesful in polluting scientific knowledge with misinformation.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

They lack conservative credibility with me.
*hysteric laughter fills the room, until my stomach hurts me*
In "Climate of Extremes," published by the libertarian Cato Institute, scientists Patrick Michaels and Robert Balling Jr. assail various plans to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. But they admit, "Humans are implicated in the planetary warming that began around 1975. Greenhouse gases are likely to be one cause, probably a considerable one..."
That's interesting. I mean, even if the mouthpiece of crazy anarchists and tobacco apologists says humans are implicated in global warming, how far to the right must the current Republican leadership be? You can't be more right-wing than Cato. You can only be more authoritarian...
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

What a bunch of sweeping unfounded generalizations. As if pollution and global warming were the same thing. It's entirely justified by research that pollution is caused by people and can be reversed by stopping it. Global warming is something else entirely! There is not enough evidence to prove one way or the other that people have any influence on it at all. Let's spend our time dealing with what we CAN do something about, and stop all the distraction and political gamesmanship this global warming hoax is causing.
You know, I just love such logic.

"So yeah the climate is changing but humanity had nothing to do with it so let's ignore the problem."

Even if we operate under the assumption humanity has nothing to do with global warming, it doesn't mean we'll be okay. It just means we can't stop it and should be worrying about crisis management, but it still requires large-scale action.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I have always wanted to grab one of these people and say:
"Even IF Global warming is a hoax... How is stoping the destruction of the eniroment bad/ How is wanting to stop the dumping of toxic sludge bad? How is wanting to move away from oil Bad? How is wanting to make the world a better place a BAD thing?

If ever there was an issue that Crystalized the Rights "I've got mine Fuck everyone else" mindset, it is the Climate change issue.

They really don't care if the icecaps melt, if much fo the coastal world is flooded, if whole nations vanish under the sea. They only care that it ISN'T a man mad issue.
Not man mad? Not my concern...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Could you define "man mad" for me?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

^ I think he wanted to write "man made".
Sarah Palin attended a motorcycle rally and took a deep breath. "I love that smell of the emissions," she exulted.
That's more the smell of random toxic shit and unburnt fuel, and the dreaded cancer-inducing particulates. CO2 hasn't a detectable smell.

I fucking love how now we don't pollute and throw toxic shit in the air, but only produce CO2 for the Global Warming. That's a massive improvement, since now we can negate the Global Warming and thus negate the toxic shit in the exhaust too. :banghead:
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

someone_else wrote:
Sarah Palin attended a motorcycle rally and took a deep breath. "I love that smell of the emissions," she exulted.
That's more the smell of random toxic shit and unburnt fuel, and the dreaded cancer-inducing particulates. CO2 hasn't a detectable smell.
The infuriating thing about that quote is that it's one thing to don't care about pollution, but actually being happy about. She'd make a good Captain Planet villain.

PS. does the Townhall comment section only allow retarted posts? I skimmed over it and couldn't find a single voice of reason
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

wautd wrote:PS. does the Townhall comment section only allow retarted posts? I skimmed over it and couldn't find a single voice of reason
Pretty much yeah. Anything, rational sounding or not, that is against certain view points gets deleted.

Back to Palin, she pretty much is a Captain Planet villain, or at least an inept political thriller character. Her 'tour' of other countries will be quite the eye opener for her, not being able to control what questions the reporters ask and in some places not being noticed by local media at all may finally get that vapid grin off her face. Saying insane things like 'liking the smell of exhaust' is the only way she can stay in the US media's eye as it is. Sometimes I think McCain's campaign choose her because she made him look more sane and reasonable.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Setesh wrote:
wautd wrote:PS. does the Townhall comment section only allow retarted posts? I skimmed over it and couldn't find a single voice of reason
Pretty much yeah. Anything, rational sounding or not, that is against certain view points gets deleted.

Back to Palin, she pretty much is a Captain Planet villain, or at least an inept political thriller character. Her 'tour' of other countries will be quite the eye opener for her, not being able to control what questions the reporters ask and in some places not being noticed by local media at all may finally get that vapid grin off her face. Saying insane things like 'liking the smell of exhaust' is the only way she can stay in the US media's eye as it is. Sometimes I think McCain's campaign choose her because she made him look more sane and reasonable.

I can imagine Palin coming back from a tour of European countries going on about how great America is and how bad they have it in Europe, about how our brave soldiers fought for our freedom so we wouldn't end up like those countries, and that we as Americans have to fight the influences in the US trying to make us like them, so on and so forth.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah, but the videotapes of what happens when BBC reporters get within question range of her will be hilarious.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Hamstray
Padawan Learner

Post by Hamstray »

someone_else wrote:
petrol sniffing? i guess that would explain some things.