Family of 5 slaughtered in settlement

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Family of 5 slaughtered in settlement

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

As if the situation wasn't volatile enough with the settlers there..

Five family members killed in suspected terrorist attack at their home in Itamar settlement
According to police the suspect broke into a home in Itamar armed with a knife and killed the family of five people including parents and three children.

Five members of an Israeli family were killed Friday night when a suspected terrorist broke into their home in the West Bank settlement of Itamar and stabbed them all to death.

According to police, the suspect broke into the house armed with a knife and stabbed the mother, father and three children, aged 11, three and an approximately one-month-old baby. Magen David Adom rescue services arrived at the scene and found them all dead.

It is believed that there were two other children in the house at the time of the attack, aged 4 and 2, who were not injured in the attack.

Extensive police forces and Israel Defense Forces are scanning the area for the suspect.

The family's 12-year-old daughter, who was at a youth group activity, returned to her home at approximately midnight and her calls for the door to be opened for her went unanswered. With the help of a neighbor, they managed to open the door and came upon the horrible murder scene.

The military blocked the entrance to the northern West Bank settlement of Itamar, as soldiers poured inside and a pair of ambulances departed.

The overnight attack is the first attack against settlers in months and the first of its kind and scope in years. It marks a rare outburst of violence during a relatively calm period.

In 2002 a terrorist broke into the home of the Shabo family in Itamar and shot the mother, Rachel, in the back. Then he shot Zvi, 13, and Avishai, 5, also in the back. After that, Neria, 16, was also shot dead.

The terrorist climbed up from the valley and without even cutting it, simply trampled down the fence
. First he approached the neighbors' house but the dog began barking and he turned instead to the Shabo family's home. They were among the settlement's founders. Boaz, the father, a printer by profession, was not at home. The older children - Yariv, 17, and Atara, 15 - were also out, visiting friends.

Thirteen-year-old Aviah, who was wounded, told the doctor who attended her in the hospital that she had heard her mother shout out in pain and then all was quiet.
Haaretz
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Re: Family of 5 slaughtered in settlement

Post by cosmicalstorm »

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often considering the settlers insistence on living, a few yards away from Palestinian families sometimes.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

And just like that, Israel approves 500 new "settlements" (i.e. taxpayer-funded squatter houses) in the West Bank.

Israel approves 500 new homes in West Bank settlements in response to Itamar attack
Ministerial committee on settlements with participation of Netanyahu and Barak approve further settlement building as response to the fatal stabbing in West Bank settlement in which family of five were slain.
By Barak Ravid Tags: Israel news Israel settlements West Bank

The ministerial committee on settlement affairs decided Saturday night to approve the construction of hundreds of housing units in several West Bank settlements, a move that came in response to a deadly attack on a family of five in the settlement of Itamar on Friday.

The approval of further settlement building follows several long months wherein no construction was approved. The move involves measured construction of several hundred housing units within settlement blocs.

Some 500 housing units are due for construction in the settlements of Gush Etzion, Ma'ale Adumim, Ariel, and Kiryat Sefer.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak took part in the meeting on Saturday night. During the discussion, several alternatives to further settlement building were discussed, such as starting a new settlement, or widening the settlement of Itamar but the end the decision, supported by Barak, was to continue construction in settlement blocs.

The Fogel family was killed Friday night when a suspected terrorist broke into their home in the West Bank settlement of Itamar and stabbed them all to death.

The prime minister's office notified the White House on Saturday night of Israel's intention to approve new settlement construction. A government official said that this was a strategic decision to build in settlements that will remain in Israel's control in any possible peace agreement with the Palestinians.
But then, the Lebensraum policy that more than likely led to these murders would have continued if this family hadn't been killed.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Elfdart wrote:And just like that, Israel approves 500 new "settlements" (i.e. taxpayer-funded squatter houses) in the West Bank.
Some 500 housing units are due for construction in the settlements of Gush Etzion, Ma'ale Adumim, Ariel, and Kiryat Sefer.

To put this into perspective, here's the population for those 'settlements'.

Gush Etzion: 55,000
Ma'ale Adumim: 34,300
Ariel: 17,600
Kiryat Sefer: 46,200

500 new housing units amongst a population of 152,000+ isn't that much.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Amazing how quickly the matter of the family itself is laid aside...
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

It's just some children being murdered in cold blood in the name of politics. Who the hell cares about them, when one can discuss those politics instead?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

And Israel continues to justify my hatred of the nation and all it's peoples.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

General Schatten wrote:And Israel continues to justify my hatred of the nation and all it's peoples.
What do you mean by "and all its peoples." Because it sounds to me like you're saying people should be judged and hated based on the nation they were born in, which would make you a fucking bigoted piece of shit.

I'll be the first to condemn the Israeli government. But don't try equating that to villifying every person who happens to live their or be a citizen.

Edit: Let me add my condolences to all those who died or lost friends or family in this disgusting crime.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

General Schatten wrote:And Israel continues to justify my hatred of the nation and all it's peoples.
Thanks for that insight, Henry Ford.

On topic - how do we know it was EVIL MUSLIM TERRORISTS who killed the family?
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

A very similar attack happened in the same settlement in 2002, when a gunman broke into a house and executed the whole family inside. And yes, it can be argued that they brought it on themselves by living there, but that still does not excuse the killing of children, or a baby, who did not exactly have a choice in the matter.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

fgalkin wrote:A very similar attack happened in the same settlement in 2002, when a gunman broke into a house and executed the whole family inside. And yes, it can be argued that they brought it on themselves by living there, but that still does not excuse the killing of children, or a baby, who did not exactly have a choice in the matter.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I know that terrorists are the most obvious suspects, but if I were a serial killer, a psychopath, or someone with a grudge against the family, etc., terrorism would be a great cover for an apolitical crime.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

SancheztheWhaler wrote: On topic - how do we know it was EVIL MUSLIM TERRORISTS who killed the family?
Oh, an organization has already taken responsibility. After all, the people ought to know whom they owe this wonderful cause for celebration.

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:I know that terrorists are the most obvious suspects, but if I were a serial killer, a psychopath, or someone with a grudge against the family, etc., terrorism would be a great cover for an apolitical crime.
--------------

http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=211909

The "Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades of Imad Mughniyeh" claimed responsibility for the stabbing attack that killed five family members in Itamar, Al Hayat reported on Sunday.

Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades officials denied that the attack came from within their ranks, telling Al Hayat that they are not connected to the Imad Mugniyeh group.

-------------------

Al Hayat, where the claim was made of that is owned by the Saudis, BTW.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The place where this happened -- Itamar, was founded in 1984 and has a population of 1,000.

Small, but not exactly a bunch of plywood shacks put together in the middle of nowhere by crazed religious fanatics to claim the high ground or whatever.

They even have a small group of Indian Jews (Yes; the indians from the subcontinent) living within Itamar.

It's been attacked before, twice in 2002:

That spring, a Palestinian gunman got into the place; and shot dead two 17 year old students and one 14 year old student at the local high school before he was shot dead.

That summer, Palestinian gunman broke into a family's house and killed the woman of the house -- her 16 year old, 13 year old, 5 year old and seriously injured two more children. He also shot dead the head of the neighborhood QRF. A hour-long shoot out with the authorities then occured within the house which burned down from all the gunfire.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Likewise, the Palestinians continue to justify my hatred of their nation and all of it's peoples with their disgusting display of handing out sweets and candies in celebration of this brutal murder to random motororists on the streets, in much the same manner that they did when they celebrated the murder of several thousand people on a September morning a decade ago.

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Both sides suck.

Palestinians for lashing out like animals.

Israelis for putting their people in harms away.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

MKSheppard wrote:
Likewise, the Palestinians continue to justify my hatred of their nation and all of it's peoples with their disgusting display of handing out sweets and candies in celebration of this brutal murder to random motororists on the streets, in much the same manner that they did when they celebrated the murder of several thousand people on a September morning a decade ago.
Are you being sarcastic to make a point, or are you a bigot as well?
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Can't it be both?
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Sarevok wrote:Both sides suck.

Palestinians for lashing out like animals.

Israelis for putting their people in harms away.
I'll be most grateful if you'll show me a place where an Israeli can be out of the terrorists' reach.

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

The Romulan Republic wrote:What do you mean by "and all its peoples." Because it sounds to me like you're saying people should be judged and hated based on the nation they were born in, which would make you a fucking bigoted piece of shit.
Oh it has nothing to do with what nation they're born in, you moronic piece of shit, but what kind of people they continue to vote for and the initiatives they know those politicians advocate. I suppose I should add that there probably are an insignificant few who actually intend on real good, but like here in America they're so few in number to not be even worthy of noting.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Are you being sarcastic to make a point, or are you a bigot as well?
Sarcastic to make a point, and I also simply don't like the Palestinians due to the live feeds I watched in 9/11, and when the Palestinians attacked a US diplomatic convoy in the Gaza Strip with a command-detonated 150 pound bomb buried under the road.

The US State Department's crime? They were travelling into the Gaza Strip to interview Palestinian candidates for a Fulbright scholarship. No diplomats died, but several US security personnel guarding the diplomats died as their SUV took the full force of the blast and was all but distengrated, with their bodies being tossed 40 feet into the air.

Of course, nobody rushed to claim responsibility for THAT one; unlike other events...

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

The nation that protects Israel from international sanction and continues to sell them arms gets attacked and you expect the Palestinians not to celebrate? You sure live in a strange world Shep.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Aaron wrote:The nation that protects Israel from international sanction and continues to sell them arms gets attacked and you expect the Palestinians not to celebrate? You sure live in a strange world Shep.
Yeah, it's not like the US is the single largest donor or anything like that...

Am I the only one who finds it a bit nauseating that the first response of most people to an article about a family being killed and babies stabbed was "They Deserved it for being X", (on both sides)?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:
Aaron wrote:The nation that protects Israel from international sanction and continues to sell them arms gets attacked and you expect the Palestinians not to celebrate? You sure live in a strange world Shep.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit nauseating that the first response of most people to an article about a family being killed and babies stabbed was "They Deserved it for being X", (on both sides)?
Right. And you expect people to care about that? Israel still gets protected and they still get billions in aid for things that go boom. 3.3 billion dollars over 17 years, fair enough but that does nothing to address the imbalance. I can't think of a good analogy but giving some money to people you assist in oppressing doesn't seem like a good way to make friends to me.

Edit: IvP has always been a hot button here dude, pissing and moaning is par for the course.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Aaron wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:

Right. And you expect people to care about that? Israel still gets protected and they still get billions in aid for things that go boom. 3.3 billion dollars over 17 years, fair enough but that does nothing to address the imbalance. I can't think of a good analogy but giving some money to people you assist in oppressing doesn't seem like a good way to make friends to me.

Edit: IvP has always been a hot button here dude, pissing and moaning is par for the course.
So is ranting about the Right, how America sux cause of bible thumpers, that the world will disintegrate due to peak [Z], and arguing about cops or the death penalty.
Doesn't stop people arguing about it, or jumping towards it even when it's tangential.
Photography