Police Strip MA man of weapons, gun liscense.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Police Strip MA man of weapons, gun liscense.

Post by SirNitram »

Link
ARLINGTON (CBS) – A blog threatening members of Congress in the wake of the Tucson, Arizona shooting has prompted Arlington police to temporarily suspend the firearms license of an Arlington man.

It was the headline “1 down and 534 to go” that caught the attention. “One” refers to Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in the head in the rampage, while 534 refers to the other members of the U.S. House and Senate.

Police are investigating the “suitability” of 39-year-old Travis Corcoran to have a firearms license

“We certainly take this as a credible threat, and credible until we prove otherwise,” said Arlington police Captain Robert Bongiorno.

In his blog Corcoran writes, “It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot indiscriminately. Target only politicians and their staff and leave regular citizens alone.”

Police visited Corcoran’s home and found a “large amount” of weapons and ammunition. Sources told WBZ-TV that 11 guns were removed.

The length of the suspension, or whether Corcoran’s license will be revoked will be determined by the outcome of the investigation.

Corcoran runs an online comic book business, HeavyInk.com, in Arlington. His views prompted comic book writers like Paul Cornell to tweet his fans, “I can’t stop someone selling my books, but please don’t buy them from HeavyInk.” And another from writer Gail Simone, “You have my pity. May you grow a soul someday, because you desperately are in need of one.”

Corcoran, who has no criminal history, has not been arrested and does not face any charges. Arlington police saying they are working with the Capitol Police in their investigation, and members of the Massachusetts congressional delegation have been alerted.
I've been hearing of this looney-toons crazy, naturally, from another guy whose work went out through HeavyInk. But I'm kinda glad this clear insanity was reacted to. Also, 11? Is that a 'large amount' in terms of most weapon collections?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Niz1
Redshirt

Re: Police Strip MA man of weapons, gun liscense.

Post by Niz1 »

Lets hope they take his licence away asap.

I wouldnt have thought 11 is a particularly high number of weapons to have for a collector. Im in Britain and even with our much lesser gun culture than the states pre-Dunblane laws I can remember knowing at least 3 people with 10-15 guns each. And this is bearing in mind that I dont move in collectors circles or know a large amount of gun enthusiasts. I mean say you have a wall display of 4/5 antique revolvers a couple of shotguns and a couple of rifles for hunting thats still nearly 10 guns and I doubt you would even consider yourself a massive collector with that. Ofc all of that is anecdotal so take with a pinch of salt.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

SirNitram wrote:
I've been hearing of this looney-toons crazy, naturally, from another guy whose work went out through HeavyInk. But I'm kinda glad this clear insanity was reacted to. Also, 11? Is that a 'large amount' in terms of most weapon collections?
Not really

Consider
1x Pistol
1x Revolver
1x Shotgun (Home defense)
1x Shotgun (Sporting)
1x Hunting Rifle
1x Plinking rifle
1x Antique/Inherited gun

Thats seven and that's a typical small collection because different guns do different things. For example buddy of mine has a 12 gun collection of which

5x Pistols (a .22 Plinking pistol, One standard size glock and one subsized glock both in 9mm and a vintage 1911 his dad smuggled back from WWII still in .45 ACP, and one sports competition pistol can't recall the model)
3x Rifle 1 for plinking, two hunting rifles one is for varmit hunting the other is a deer hunting rifle.
2x Shotguns, One he uses only for skeet shooting and he babies, one double barrel something for quail hunting
1x .38 special little compact Revolver

Your numbers can really get pushed up by pistols you own.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

11 guns ain't much of a "collection". I've got more pistols than that.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

On the other hand, number of guns aside, I find it appropriate that the authorities are investigating someone who publicly called for the shooting of public officials - like the entire House of Representatives.

Really, that's unacceptable. Freedom of speech does not cover blatant threats. Threats have consequences.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Broomstick wrote:On the other hand, number of guns aside, I find it appropriate that the authorities are investigating someone who publicly called for the shooting of public officials - like the entire House of Representatives.

Really, that's unacceptable. Freedom of speech does not cover blatant threats. Threats have consequences.
Indeed. RKBA is not absolute and if someone is fucking crazy enough to issue death threats against public officials, then I have no problem with their gun rights being proscribed until they prove themselves stable enough to have their RKBA restored.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

SirNitram wrote:I've been hearing of this looney-toons crazy, naturally, from another guy whose work went out through HeavyInk. But I'm kinda glad this clear insanity was reacted to. Also, 11? Is that a 'large amount' in terms of most weapon collections?
I've got one gun less than him, for a months still anyway before I get that Benelli shotgun for IPSC style shooting.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

As I usually do when I see a story like this, I checked Free Republic for their... "special" brand of input.

Some of them realize that yes, this guy broke the law, and yes, should not have guns.

Some of them realize he broke the law, but don't think taking away his guns is right, and that they should have a trial about it first.

Some people think "oh well if he gets his guns taken what are they gonna do about the person who tweeted about someone killing palin" or something.

Still other people are just like "rawr first amendment! guns are most basic right of any person!"
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

SirNitram wrote:Also, 11? Is that a 'large amount' in terms of most weapon collections?
I think the 'large amount' was refering to the amount of ammo stored.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Spoonist wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Also, 11? Is that a 'large amount' in terms of most weapon collections?
How much are we talking? 'Cause it's not unusual for a gun enthusiast to have a separate safe devoted entirely to storing ammo. In fact there's even an entire market for ammo safes.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

General Schatten wrote:
Spoonist wrote:
How much are we talking? 'Cause it's not unusual for a gun enthusiast to have a separate safe devoted entirely to storing ammo. In fact there's even an entire market for ammo safes.
I always assumed that was more because of the safety issues. You don't want fire anywhere near ammo.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Like a house fire?

Safes that protect against that exist but are a lot more expensive.

I have an ammo safe that might hold a couple thousand rounds (depending on calibre) but I have it as an extra layer of security because I have kids.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ammo like paper towels or soap is cheaper in bulk. Much cheaper in fact. Most gun enthusiasts I know tend to buy six months worth of range ammo or more in one go. Figure 50-100 100 per range visit then add in range visits twice a month so two hundred a month add six months and you end up with a possible 1200 rounds on hand. And that's for one caliber.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I've been hearing of this looney-toons crazy, naturally, from another guy whose work went out through HeavyInk.
The forum at the site in question is all a-flutter.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

A lot of the comment responses supporting tin that article are actually supporting the douchenozzle.

Something along the lines of "You can shout fire in a crowded room, IF THERE REALLY IS A FIRE! Our FREEDOMS are being taken away!"
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

And he had a blog where he defended himself... which is now down because apparently he comes across as evil- defending political murder does that. I can't think of an instance where it would be acceptable in a functioning democracy.

Anyone know where it is still stored on the net?