Wingnut yells 'Heil Hiter' @ Jewish man at townhall (update)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Wingnut yells 'Heil Hiter' @ Jewish man at townhall (update)

Post by Vympel »

Through the Ideological Rabbit Hole

It's all on video.
Unalloyed xenophobic rage presents a challenge similar to one posed by habitual lying—just as it's hard to keep up with one's own falsehoods, it's difficult to remember whether shouting "Heil Hitler!" at a Jew is good or bad.

Take, for instance, this woman at a healthcare town hall sponsored by a Las Vegas radio station. After watching an Israeli immigrant to the United States praise his homeland's government-run healthcare system, she is moved to respond, "Heil Hitler!"

What does that mean? Well, it could mean "Heil Hitler, you Jew, you are a subhuman blood-sucker," a sentiment common to right-wing extremists who actively seek the violent overthrow of the federal government. Or it could mean, "By supporting government-run healthcare, sir, you may as well be shouting 'Heil Hitler,' because you are supporting Barack Obama, who is a Nazi"—a sentiment also common to right-wing extremists who actively seek the violent overthrow of the federal government. You see the problem? The feverish, paranoid snake that is contemporary right-wing political thought has begun to eat its own tail, and the swamp is full of anti-Semites and Nazi-haters who both seek the same thing—a return to the "real America."

As you can see from the look of terror that crosses this woman's face when the Israeli challenges her—"I'm a Jew! You're telling me, ‘Heil Hitler'? Shame of you!"—she appears to have briefly forgotten which one she is. In the most cosmic of ironies, she is wearing an Israeli Defense Forces t-shirt, so it's not likely that she's a rabid neo-Nazi. Still, you can see in her eyes that she is frantically checking an exhaustive catalog of political outrages in the back of her mind—which is worse, supporting healthcare reform, or yelling "Heil Hitler" at a Jew?

She quickly decides that it's the former, and tells the Israeli that, as a Jew, he should be more frightened than anyone of Obama's policies. It's about as comprehensive a tangle of our current political dynamic as we've seen—a middle-aged white woman who seems to believe that Jews are good to the extent that Israel is good because Israel kills Arabs but bad to the extent that one of them supports socialized medicine shouts "Heil Hitler" at an Israeli because Hitler was bad to the extent that he was like Obama but was also good to the extent that he was against Communist Jews. It's taxing to remember where the political lines are drawn when the only thing you care about is hating the president.

And it's like a comment thread on Red State brought to life. The woman here had probably written "Heil Hitler" into dozens of comment forms during her long, lonely nights of rage, and she clearly was shocked when she realized she'd said it in real life. "Heil Hitler!" "Let's bring an assault rifle to the next town hall!" It's a reverse TRON, and the trolls have escaped into our world.

After she tells the Israeli that he should be more afraid than anyone else of nationalized healthcare—because, just like in Israel, it's an anti-Semitic plot—she mocks him with a caustic "boo-hoo" because he complained about an $8,000 trip to the emergency room without healthcare. Jews are so cheap!
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Re: Insane wingnut yells 'Heil Hiter' at Jewish man at town hall

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

I think the word for this is "class." There's a certain level of class involved in yelling "Heil Hitler" at a Jewish Israeli, then not only refusing to apologize but actually telling him how he, as a Jew, ought to feel about Barack Obama, then mocking him because had to wait on line in an emergency room for hours to pay a large fee for care that would have been practically free in his homeland, and finally mocking him only after a couple of goonish fellow travelers have come to back you up. So yes, pure class, from a classy lady. Hopefully the internet will find out who she is and ruin her life for being such an appalling waste of skin.

EDIT: @ Fire Fly
lol, whoops
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Hopefully the internet will find out who she is and ruin her life for being such an appalling waste of skin.
The internet doesn't have to do much; she identified herself.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Nice mob mentality. As soon as the woman gets backed in a corner, some fellow brownshirts taking a protective stance around her so she can continue her insults.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

What a bunch of fucking assholes.

But hey, that's what you get when you invite people to mob.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Fire Fly wrote:
Pablo Sanchez wrote:Hopefully the internet will find out who she is and ruin her life for being such an appalling waste of skin.
Her name and phone number are all over the interwebs and I see this becoming... unlpeasant for her. I bet she's used to preaching to the choir, but I guess she'll now learn about a thing called consequences when you're hatespeech reaches the outside world.

On the bright side, if she plays here cards right I see her becoming Palin's or Joe the Plumber's sidekick.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

The brain donors at Rapture Ready are climbing all over each other claiming she's a leftist agent provocateur... :lol:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

God, I needed that laugh.

Why can't more Democrats be like that?
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
Kaiser Caesar
Youngling

Post by Kaiser Caesar »

I am proud to be from Massachusetts today. :mrgreen:

And to answer Aratech, Barney Frank comes from Massachusetts, as blue as they come on the east coast. He can spend a lot more political credit smacking down morons like this without much fear of reprisal.
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Kaiser Caesar wrote:
I am proud to be from Massachusetts today. :mrgreen:

And to answer Aratech, Barney Frank comes from Massachusetts, as blue as they come on the east coast. He can spend a lot more political credit smacking down morons like this without much fear of reprisal.

I see. Make's me feel better that half of my family lives up there.
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

wautd wrote:Nice mob mentality. As soon as the woman gets backed in a corner, some fellow brownshirts taking a protective stance around her so she can continue her insults.
Every neo-Nazi I've ever argued with honestly believes they're some kind of oppressed minority whose right to be fucking slime is being infringed upon... and they typically believe they're allowed to defend that right through coercion and intimidation. Just another fine example of what happens if you teach everyone that they're entitled to believe whatever they want to, as though life beliefs were as flippant a thing as the color of car you buy.

If nothing else, hopefully this will give the Dems some idea of how futile "bipartisanship" is and prompt some kind of spine growth in them like Frank's retort implies, but I won't hold my breath.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Kaiser Caesar wrote:And to answer Aratech, Barney Frank comes from Massachusetts, as blue as they come on the east coast. He can spend a lot more political credit smacking down morons like this without much fear of reprisal.
Barney Frank survived being outed at a homosexual, and he survived a scandal where a man he was involved with ran male prostitutes out of his house without his knowledge (for which Frank was officially censured). At this point he has to recognize that there's not much he could do to lose an election in his district. This, combined with the fact that he has an acid wit, makes him great for TV.

Also I have to assume that his town hall had a much more balanced attendance and the astroturf campaign to bus shouters in from surrounding areas to shut down the conversation failed, so that instead of a hostile audience Frank was facing a mixed bag of supporters and teabaggers. This makes a huge difference when you're trying to humiliate someone verbally. If that woman had been backed by the typical legion of shrieking troglodytes, the video would have been much less entertaining.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Kaiser Caesar
Youngling

Post by Kaiser Caesar »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Kaiser Caesar wrote:And to answer Aratech, Barney Frank comes from Massachusetts, as blue as they come on the east coast. He can spend a lot more political credit smacking down morons like this without much fear of reprisal.
Barney Frank survived being outed at a homosexual, and he survived a scandal where a man he was involved with ran male prostitutes out of his house without his knowledge (for which Frank was officially censured). At this point he has to recognize that there's not much he could do to lose an election in his district. This, combined with the fact that he has an acid wit, makes him great for TV.

Also I have to assume that his town hall had a much more balanced attendance and the astroturf campaign to bus shouters in from surrounding areas to shut down the conversation failed, so that instead of a hostile audience Frank was facing a mixed bag of supporters and teabaggers. This makes a huge difference when you're trying to humiliate someone verbally. If that woman had been backed by the typical legion of shrieking troglodytes, the video would have been much less entertaining.
It also does kind of help that Republicans in Massachusetts usually do not vote for any political race besides Governor.

And on the second part, it might have been even more hilarious - until they charge the stage and tear him bit by bit, of course. :P
Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

wautd wrote:
Fire Fly wrote:
Her name and phone number are all over the interwebs and I see this becoming... unlpeasant for her. I bet she's used to preaching to the choir, but I guess she'll now learn about a thing called consequences when you're hatespeech reaches the outside world.
I doubt it... she was wearing an Israeli Defense Force t-shirt. I guess she didn't know the guy she saluted was jewish as well, whoops!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Re: Wingnut yells 'Heil Hiter' @ Jewish man at townhall (update)

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

My only regret is that it isn't in my power to show these people what a Nazi regime would do were they behaving in this manner.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Paradox wrote: I doubt it... she was wearing an Israeli Defense Force t-shirt. I guess she didn't know the guy she saluted was jewish as well, whoops!
She's also wearing cross earings, and talks about "biblical" values.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

General Schatten wrote:My only regret is that it isn't in my power to show these people what a Nazi regime would do were they behaving in this manner.
Enlist them in the SA and then purge them as homosexual degenerates during the night of the long knives?
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Samuel wrote:
General Schatten wrote:My only regret is that it isn't in my power to show these people what a Nazi regime would do were they behaving in this manner.
Enlist them in the SA and then purge them as homosexual degenerates during the night of the long knives?
No, if they were rabble rousing in Nazi Germany I'm pretty sure the gestapo would just pick them up on charges of collaboration and conspiracy, just for demonstrating. Though yours sounds tantalizingly ironic.
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

General Schatten wrote:
Samuel wrote:
No, if they were rabble rousing in Nazi Germany I'm pretty sure the gestapo would just pick them up on charges of collaboration and conspiracy, just for demonstrating. Though yours sounds tantalizingly ironic.
It wins bonus points for Magnificent Bastardry. But I can't help but note that while deliciously ironic, it's a tad inefficient.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Aratech wrote: It wins bonus points for Magnificent Bastardry. But I can't help but note that while deliciously ironic, it's a tad inefficient.
So it would fit into Nazi Germany perfectly :-)

Videos like this make me appreciate 'Wiederbetätigung' is still in our criminal code ('furthering the resurgence of Nazism' is the best I can do to translate it). Had she done that in Austria, she might have gotten a few months in prison for that action.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Raesene wrote:
Aratech wrote: It wins bonus points for Magnificent Bastardry. But I can't help but note that while deliciously ironic, it's a tad inefficient.

Videos like this make me appreciate 'Wiederbetätigung' is still in our criminal code ('furthering the resurgence of Nazism' is the best I can do to translate it). Had she done that in Austria, she might have gotten a few months in prison for that action.
I know certain states in the Union do have a similair law, the police are either ignorant of this law or don't follow it because they view my loyalist state as a Confederate one.

WV Code Chapter 6 Article 1-5 Unlawful speeches, publications and communications.
It shall be unlawful for any person to speak, print, publish or communicate, by language, sign, picture or otherwise, any teachings, doctrines or counsels in sympathy with or in favor of ideals, institutions or forms of government hostile, inimical or antagonistic to those now or hereafter existing under the constitution and laws of this state or of the United States, or in sympathy with or in favor of the propriety, duty and necessity of crime, violence or other unlawful methods of terrorism, as a means of accomplishing economic or political reform, or in sympathy with or in favor of the overthrow of organized society, the unlawful destruction of property or the violation of law

WV Code Chapter 6 Article 1-6 Display of red or black flag unlawful.
It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession or to display any red or black flag, or to display any other flag, emblem, device or sign of any nature whatever, indicating sympathy with or support of ideals, institutions or forms of government, hostile, inimical or antagonistic to the form or spirit of the constitution, laws, ideals and institutions of this state or of the United States.

6-1-7 also says the first offense is a misdemeanor with either a 100-500 dollar fine or imprisoned in a county jail for no more than a year. Second offense is a felony with one to five years in a state penetentiary. Sadly these laws are not followed as they should (Tev and Nitram can attest to the number of Confederate Battleflags flying in the state, if you don't want to take my word).

:finger: Right at you Johnny Reb!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

General Schatten wrote:
Raesene wrote:

I know certain states in the Union do have a similair law, the police are either ignorant of this law or don't follow it because they view my loyalist state as a Confederate one.

WV Code Chapter 6 Article 1-5 Unlawful speeches, publications and communications.
It shall be unlawful for any person to speak, print, publish or communicate, by language, sign, picture or otherwise, any teachings, doctrines or counsels in sympathy with or in favor of ideals, institutions or forms of government hostile, inimical or antagonistic to those now or hereafter existing under the constitution and laws of this state or of the United States, or in sympathy with or in favor of the propriety, duty and necessity of crime, violence or other unlawful methods of terrorism, as a means of accomplishing economic or political reform, or in sympathy with or in favor of the overthrow of organized society, the unlawful destruction of property or the violation of law

WV Code Chapter 6 Article 1-6 Display of red or black flag unlawful.
It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession or to display any red or black flag, or to display any other flag, emblem, device or sign of any nature whatever, indicating sympathy with or support of ideals, institutions or forms of government, hostile, inimical or antagonistic to the form or spirit of the constitution, laws, ideals and institutions of this state or of the United States.

6-1-7 also says the first offense is a misdemeanor with either a 100-500 dollar fine or imprisoned in a county jail for no more than a year. Second offense is a felony with one to five years in a state penetentiary. Sadly these laws are not followed as they should (Tev and Nitram can attest to the number of Confederate Battleflags flying in the state, if you don't want to take my word).

:finger: Right at you Johnny Reb!
And it would get struck down in the courts on First Amendment grounds so quickly if the state ever did attempt to enforce that law the governor's head would spin.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Patrick Degan wrote:And it would get struck down in the courts on First Amendment grounds so quickly if the state ever did attempt to enforce that law the governor's head would spin.
Ah well, failing that they could still be hit with displaying the battleflag higher on the flagpole than the state flag.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

General Schatten wrote:No, if they were rabble rousing in Nazi Germany I'm pretty sure the gestapo would just pick them up on charges of collaboration and conspiracy, just for demonstrating. Though yours sounds tantalizingly ironic.
If this were Nazi Germany, most of them would have gotten in on the ground floor. They'd be the party. And they'd get to hit actual socialists (real socialists, not the pansy-ass not-socialists we have in the US) with actual clubs. They'd be violent, clueless, and feelin' good!

I mean, seriously, who owned all the mobs of armed right-wing thugs in that country?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov