The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Gandalf »

"People outside of the United States do not understand what's going on in this election."

Obama has been to other countries, so he knows we get CNN/Fox/etc right? Clod.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gandalf wrote:"People outside of the United States do not understand what's going on in this election."

Obama has been to other countries, so he knows we get CNN/Fox/etc right? Clod.
I think he meant that they don't understand how the fuck Trump could actually challenge Hillary Clinton.

Which... yeah.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

That was a hell of a speech.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Upon being asked by an audience member for his show what question he would ask Trump, Stephen Colbert replied "Well, we're not broadcasting right now, so I'd say what does Vladimir Putin's dick taste like?" :lol:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show- ... ald-trump/
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Ok. Catching up on the speeches.

I like what I am seeing from Kaine. His mode of communication is very personal, so it is a bit different from some of the other candidates and comes off as a bit odd. But I generally like where he is. He is really really catholic, in what I am getting the impression is the good way. Not the doctrinaire asshat way but the...Jesuit sort of way.

And I love his method of taking the piss out of Trump.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So Mitt Romney, Michael Bloomberg and John Hutson all appeared in video or in person at the DNC cautioning vs Trump. Party unity, just not the way Trump wanted it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Politics do make strange bedfellows.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Been going through the speeches.

Very impressed with O'Malley and Joe Biden, they both killed it.

In fact, there were so many great speeches. Reid, Jackson and of course Obama.

Also there is this:
http://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/7 ... 80/photo/1
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'll have to go back and watch O'Malley's speech, since I missed it.

I've always rather liked O'Malley. He seemed to be someone who wasn't afraid to speak his mind during the election. I recall him being the only candidate who actually called Trump a fascist, and he was, I believe, the only one to give a specific number on how many more refugees the US should take when the Guardian asked the candidates.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Put a pin in something Maraxus2 said a few days back because the Republican and Democratic Conventions have been a night and day difference. Much better speakers, much better speeches and only the massive cloud of controversy colors changed between conventions.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:So Mitt Romney, Michael Bloomberg and John Hutson all appeared in video or in person at the DNC cautioning vs Trump. Party unity, just not the way Trump wanted it.
Yeah, the guy that lost last time and 2 who the Republicans think are RINO's. Hopefully it will help with moderates, but any talk radio listeners will blow it off as sore losers and not "real" Republicans.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Diamond Joe Biden used the M word last night. He fuckin' slayed.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

"Tim Kaine will be driving you TO and FROM the prom, Mister."
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

A law professor at Harvard, Laurence Tribe, has concluded that Trump's requests to Russia to reveal Clinton emails "appear to violate the Logan Act and might even constitute treason".

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/l ... z4FjE3YPwz
For Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe, not only do Donald “Trump's "jokes" about Russia amount to "inviting an adversary to wage cyberwar against the U.S.," but they also "appear to violate the Logan Act and might even constitute treason,” he tweeted Thursday.

The latest tweet from the liberal legal giant whose name has been floated as a Supreme Court pick comes after Trump and his campaign brushed aside the backlash over his remark. The Republican nominee himself telling Fox News that he was "being sarcastic."

“Imagine what our 1st president would've said about a candidate inviting a foreign power to intrude into a US election for the 45th president,” Tribe previously tweeted Wednesday, adding that he “must have been hallucinating” at hearing Trump’s calls for Russian hackers to infiltrate Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s emails.

He also wrote, "I've been saying the Russian hacking into DNC is Watergate on e-steroids."

Though a former Obama mentor, Tribe also buttressed Trump’s charge against former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz, one of his other former law students, over his citizenship and eligibility to serve as president.

He told The Guardian in January that according to the “originalist” judges Cruz so adored, “Cruz wouldn’t be eligible because the legal principles that prevailed in the 1780s and 90s required that someone be born on US soil to be a ‘natural born’ citizen.” Tribe subsequently penned an op-ed titled “Under Ted Cruz’s own logic, he’s ineligible for the White House” in the Boston Globe.
And Democratic Congressman David Cicilline, who's on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, has asked Obama to withhold classified briefings from Trump.

https://cicilline.house.gov/press-relea ... fied-intel
PAWTUCKET - U.S. Congressman David N. Cicilline (D-RI), a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, today requested that, in the interest of protecting America’s national security, President Obama withhold classified materials and briefings from Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for President.

“The Republican nominee’s call for hostile foreign action represents a step beyond mere partisan politics and represents a threat to the republic itself. It suggests that he is unfit to receive sensitive intelligence, and may willingly compromise our national security if he is permitted to do so,” wrote Cicilline. “With this in mind, I respectfully ask that you withhold the intelligence briefing to Mr. Trump in the interests of national security.”

Since 1952, Democratic and Republican presidential candidates have traditionally received classified national security briefings after securing their party’s nomination. But in recent weeks, Trump’s volatile behavior and murky business dealings have raised serious questions about the depths of his relationship with the Russian government.

Cicilline, who has been a forceful advocate for human rights in Russia, made his request just hours after Trump encouraged the Russian government to interfere in the 2016 presidential election by hacking former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The full text of Cicilline's email is embedded below. A pdf version of his letter is available to view here.

------

President Obama,

Since 1952, the White House has authorized the U.S. intelligence community to provide major party presidential nominees with classified briefings on the state of international affairs. These briefings feature the discussion of sensitive intelligence, and are designed to help prepare candidates for the solemn national security responsibilities that they will assume upon taking office.

As the Republican nominee for president, Donald Trump will presumably be eligible for this courtesy in the near future. However, on July 27, 2016, Mr. Trump urged Russian intelligence services to conduct cyberespionage operations into the correspondence of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, saying, “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope that you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” In light of these recent statements, I respectfully ask you to suspend Mr. Trump’s access to these briefings.

It is my belief that these statements, when considered in the broader context of the Republican nominee’s prior conduct, warrant a re-examination of his access to this sensitive intelligence. These remarks reflect more than just a lack of good judgment—it is an explicit call for intervention from an adversarial foreign power to undermine the American democratic process, and represents an action just short of outright treason.

Unfortunately, this intervention would be only the latest chapter in Russian efforts to interfere in this presidential election. In May, National Intelligence Director James Clapper announced that the intelligence community had seen some indications that foreign governments were attempting to hack U.S. presidential campaigns. And in June, CrowdStrike identified Russian intelligence agencies as the source behind the hack of the Democratic National Committee—an assessment that has been largely corroborated by the U.S. intelligence community.

The Republican nominee’s call for hostile foreign action represents a step beyond mere partisan politics and represents a threat to the Republic itself. It suggests that he is unfit to receive sensitive intelligence, and may willingly compromise our national security if he is permitted to do so. With this in mind, I respectfully ask that you withhold the intelligence briefing to Mr. Trump in the interests of national security.

Sincerely,
David N. Cicilline
Member of Congress

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

The White House has made it clear that they trust the people who deliver the briefings and will NOT deny Donny Jingles a daily intelligence briefing in the greater interests of a smooth transition of power.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Dalton wrote:The White House has made it clear that they trust the people who deliver the briefings and will NOT deny Donny Jingles a daily intelligence briefing in the greater interests of a smooth transition of power.
Not to mention it would make things worst. Oh how the right would howl if Obama denied Trump his security briefings while giving Secretary Clinton her briefings.

Also Laurence Tribe? Hope he gets no where near the supreme court if that's his level of legal reasoning if he can't the difference between past and future tenses. As Wild Zontargs, is it treason to ask for Putin to personally hunt down and shoot America's last remaining wild unicorn? Because he can do that about as easily as what Laurence Tribe thinks Trump actually said. Has over ten months of Trump campaigning taught none of these people pattern recognition?

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You know, at this point, I think I might be willing to deny Hillary her briefings to keep Putin's lap dog from getting his.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The Romulan Republic wrote:A law professor at Harvard, Laurence Tribe, has concluded that Trump's requests to Russia to reveal Clinton emails "appear to violate the Logan Act and might even constitute treason".

Where was this guy when Obama was joking about killing musicians with Predator drones?

As has been pointed out, it is physically impossible for the Russians to hack into Clinton's email at Trump's request - the only thing they are capable of doing, if anything, is handing over the information they already stole. But to you that just makes Trump even more guilty - not only is he trying to commit impossible treason, he's an idiot too.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Grumman wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:A law professor at Harvard, Laurence Tribe, has concluded that Trump's requests to Russia to reveal Clinton emails "appear to violate the Logan Act and might even constitute treason".

Where was this guy when Obama was joking about killing musicians with Predator drones?

As has been pointed out, it is physically impossible for the Russians to hack into Clinton's email at Trump's request - the only thing they are capable of doing, if anything, is handing over the information they already stole.
And as I pointed out, even if it is impossible, that doesn't change what Trump said- do you really think he knows jack about computer security/hacking?

And even if you presume that it was a joke (I don't), its still asking a foreign government to intervene in our election by releasing stolen data.

And even if Obama's joke was comparable (which I am not conceding), "someone else is guilty too" is not a defence, except in the minds of the infantile. Its just a lame attempt at deflection.
But to you that just makes Trump even more guilty - not only is he trying to commit impossible treason, he's an idiot too.
Don't put words in my mouth, asshole.

Besides, we knew Trump was an idiot long before this. Or at least, those of us not engaging in apologetics for Putin's lap dog did.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hillary Clinton is about to speak.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

She named dropped Hamilton. She is hip and cool.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Any speaking she is, per TYT the random Hillary chants are not out of nowhere, they are to drown out protest chants. The neatest thing the DNC did this year was put a solid ten to twnety hardcore Hillary supporters in front of the various TV audio banks so they can chant over the protests.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Fairly solid speech, although something about Clinton's way of delivering it, at times, seems stilted and grating to me.

Appreciate her continued praise of Sanders. It makes me hopeful that they're actually going to keep listening to progressives rather than making the mistake of thinking "Now that we have Bernie's endorsement and the nomination, we can ignore them."

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

For Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe, not only do Donald “Trump's "jokes" about Russia amount to "inviting an adversary to wage cyberwar against the U.S.," but they also "appear to violate the Logan Act and might even constitute treason,” he tweeted Thursday.

The latest tweet from the liberal legal giant whose name has been floated as a Supreme Court pick comes after Trump and his campaign brushed aside the backlash over his remark. The Republican nominee himself telling Fox News that he was "being sarcastic."

“Imagine what our 1st president would've said about a candidate inviting a foreign power to intrude into a US election for the 45th president,” Tribe previously tweeted Wednesday, adding that he “must have been hallucinating” at hearing Trump’s calls for Russian hackers to infiltrate Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s emails.

He also wrote, "I've been saying the Russian hacking into DNC is Watergate on e-steroids."

Though a former Obama mentor, Tribe also buttressed Trump’s charge against former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz, one of his other former law students, over his citizenship and eligibility to serve as president.

He told The Guardian in January that according to the “originalist” judges Cruz so adored, “Cruz wouldn’t be eligible because the legal principles that prevailed in the 1780s and 90s required that someone be born on US soil to be a ‘natural born’ citizen.” Tribe subsequently penned an op-ed titled “Under Ted Cruz’s own logic, he’s ineligible for the White House” in the Boston Globe.
And Democratic Congressman David Cicilline, who's on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, has asked Obama to withhold classified briefings from Trump.

https://cicilline.house.gov/press-relea ... fied-intel
PAWTUCKET - U.S. Congressman David N. Cicilline (D-RI), a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, today requested that, in the interest of protecting America’s national security, President Obama withhold classified materials and briefings from Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for President.

“The Republican nominee’s call for hostile foreign action represents a step beyond mere partisan politics and represents a threat to the republic itself. It suggests that he is unfit to receive sensitive intelligence, and may willingly compromise our national security if he is permitted to do so,” wrote Cicilline. “With this in mind, I respectfully ask that you withhold the intelligence briefing to Mr. Trump in the interests of national security.”

Since 1952, Democratic and Republican presidential candidates have traditionally received classified national security briefings after securing their party’s nomination. But in recent weeks, Trump’s volatile behavior and murky business dealings have raised serious questions about the depths of his relationship with the Russian government.

Cicilline, who has been a forceful advocate for human rights in Russia, made his request just hours after Trump encouraged the Russian government to interfere in the 2016 presidential election by hacking former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The full text of Cicilline's email is embedded below. A pdf version of his letter is available to view here.

------

President Obama,

Since 1952, the White House has authorized the U.S. intelligence community to provide major party presidential nominees with classified briefings on the state of international affairs. These briefings feature the discussion of sensitive intelligence, and are designed to help prepare candidates for the solemn national security responsibilities that they will assume upon taking office.

As the Republican nominee for president, Donald Trump will presumably be eligible for this courtesy in the near future. However, on July 27, 2016, Mr. Trump urged Russian intelligence services to conduct cyberespionage operations into the correspondence of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, saying, “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope that you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” In light of these recent statements, I respectfully ask you to suspend Mr. Trump’s access to these briefings.

It is my belief that these statements, when considered in the broader context of the Republican nominee’s prior conduct, warrant a re-examination of his access to this sensitive intelligence. These remarks reflect more than just a lack of good judgment—it is an explicit call for intervention from an adversarial foreign power to undermine the American democratic process, and represents an action just short of outright treason.

Unfortunately, this intervention would be only the latest chapter in Russian efforts to interfere in this presidential election. In May, National Intelligence Director James Clapper announced that the intelligence community had seen some indications that foreign governments were attempting to hack U.S. presidential campaigns. And in June, CrowdStrike identified Russian intelligence agencies as the source behind the hack of the Democratic National Committee—an assessment that has been largely corroborated by the U.S. intelligence community.

The Republican nominee’s call for hostile foreign action represents a step beyond mere partisan politics and represents a threat to the Republic itself. It suggests that he is unfit to receive sensitive intelligence, and may willingly compromise our national security if he is permitted to do so. With this in mind, I respectfully ask that you withhold the intelligence briefing to Mr. Trump in the interests of national security.

Sincerely,
David N. Cicilline
Member of Congress
Dude, how many times in this thread and the ones before it have you accused or posted others accusing people of treason or being a traitor?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Appreciate her continued praise of Sanders. It makes me hopeful that they're actually going to keep listening to progressives rather than making the mistake of thinking "Now that we have Bernie's endorsement and the nomination, we can ignore them."
Things usually calm down after the Primary's over. People forgive when they're going into the general, and they'll really go away after a Clinton victory. I'd be very surprised if the last Bernie holdouts remain a coherent movement with a separate identity after a Clinton inauguration, and I'd suspect they'll mostly blend back into the anti-establishment Left. Bernie people who work in Congress or the states or wherever will be just fine in a Clinton administration, just like the Clinton people get along just fine with the Obama folks. They don't forget tho. Apparently the easiest way to start a fight among the Clinton campaign staffers is to ask the room whether Michigan and Florida should have counted in the 2008 primary.

Pretty pleased with this convention, all things considered. The Party looks very unified behind Clinton, which is the sine qua non of her getting into the White House.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.