The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Gaidin »

Don't get me wrong. I dont' mean broke the Democrats. I mean brought the house down.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gaidin wrote:Don't get me wrong. I dont' mean broke the Democrats. I mean brought the house down.
Ah, I see.

I don't think it did either, really.

It was a serviceable speech, but not the strongest or most memorable of the night.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Gaidin wrote:Did Warren just break the DNC?
Hers', I think, was always going to be a somewhat divisive speech.

The contrast of the two sides on economics was solid, and she sure didn't hold back on going after Trump, but I don't think it moved people in the way that Michelle Obama or Bernie Sanders or Corey Booker did.
He meant it the other way, as in 'drop the mic' because she just broke all records in awesomeness in the DNC.

But to you, I think her speech was better than Booker's, probably better than FLOTUS though her speech was well done (she must of stole it from Mrs. Trump).
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Rogue 9 wrote:Eh. I suppose given the sorry state of history education in this country it doesn't matter much on balance, but I wasn't suggesting mentioning Dredd Scott; simply calling CItizens United a bad, terrible, subpar, malodorous, or what have you instead of "the worst" would have gotten the point across without dredging up the early history of this country by inviting comparison. For the same reason I always insist that Buchanan trumps whenever someone starts talking about a recent President as the worst one we've ever had. :razz:
Which always makes me mad. Our first gay president was such a colossal fuck-up. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lincon was a fuck up?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Flagg wrote:Lincon was a fuck up?
There's apparently a lot of circumstantial evidence indicating that James Buchanan was gay, and there were rumors even at the time.

Interestingly enough, the US really did nearly fall apart after he was elected. Maybe the Christians are onto something!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

No, but his predecessor James Buchanan was as queer is a three dollar bill and he absolutely was the biggest fuck-up president on record.

In a letter to Cornelia Roosevelt after William Rufus King (his longtime "roommate") was posted to Paris:

"I am now 'solitary and alone', having no companion in the house with me. I have gone a wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with any one of them. I feel that it is not good for man to be alone, and should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can nurse me when I am sick, provide good dinners for me when I am well, and not expect from me any very ardent or romantic affection."
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

He was apparently bisexual and outside any defined sexuality.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I knew about Honest Abe but had no idea about Buchanan.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They'll be doing the role call vote shortly, officially confirming Clinton as the winner of the Democratic primary.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Roll Call is underway. Looks like we're gonna find out how the Superdelegates are gonna vote.
Last edited by maraxus2 on 2016-07-26 05:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bernie has been working to bring 'round the Bernie or Bust people:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-el ... ou-n617186
PHILADELPHIA -- The Bernie or Bust movement appears to have been busted by Bernie.

After Sanders and Elizabeth Warren each gave Hillary Clinton full-throated endorsements at the DNC Monday night, Sanders delegates' desire to disrupt the convention seems to be losing steam after roiling the opening day. But all eyes will be on a potentially contentious roll call vote that with formally nominate Clinton Tuesday evening.

As if making up for lost time, Sanders crisscrossed a sprawling hotel and convention center complex downtown to take the message from his speech directly to individual state delegations.

From New York to Wisconsin to Iowa to California to Florida to Montana to Alaska, his message to the delegates was the same: The only way for his supporters to continue what they started is to elect Clinton and stop Donald Trump.

The delegation from California, which has been the source of the most vocal protests, jeered, but Sanders fired back without hesitation.

"It's easy to boo. But it is harder to look your kids in the face who will be living under a Donald Trump presidency," Sanders said told his supporters.

Related: Democrats Pull Back From Brink on First Night of Convention

But perhaps even more notable was how little pushback Sanders got from the other delegations.

His endorsement of Clinton passed without so much as a cough at the Wisconsin delegation's breakfast.

"They had a night to sleep on it," said Dorothy Krause, a Sanders delegate from the state. "The Bernie people are beginning to gain a greater understanding that the platform they helped create will carry in to Hillary's platform. That the work they did maters."

Democrats are taking solace in the fact that most of the opposition to Clinton among the delegates has come from states that won't be in play in November.

Wisconsin Rep. Mike Pocan said his state's experience as a battleground and its Republican governor have made the Democratic Party more unified. "There are no wings," Pocan said, "there's just like one big missile when it comes to Scott Walker."

Officials from Sanders' and Clinton's campaigns were in talks Tuesday to have Vermont, Sanders' home state where he controls all the delegates, to vote last and move to nominate Clinton by acclimation. The move would have the effect of both giving all of Sanders' supporters a chance to vote for him while also officially nominating Clinton unanimously.

PlayWill Sanders supporters come over to Clinton? Facebook Twitter Google PlusEmbed
Will Sanders supporters come over to Clinton? 4:46
"Obviously, there's going to be a boisterous response, but I'm not worried because of what you saw last night," said Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a Clinton supporter who plans to jointly announce her state's vote with Rep. Keith Ellison, a Sanders backer.

Meanwhile, Sanders warned his supporters against supporting third parties in November.

"They're focusing on very, very important issues," Sanders said when asked about Jill Stein, the Green Party nominee, at a breakfast sponsored by Bloomberg Politics. "But I think right now -- what is it, three, four months before an election -- you're going to end up having a choice. Either Hillary Clinton is going to become president, or Donald Trump."

And the group that has created the most robust infrastructure to support protests on the convention floor seemed to be floundering after Sanders' speech backing Clinton.

The Bernie Delegate Network had wanted to fight the nomination of Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine for vice president, but struggled to find a candidate willing to be considered for the job.

Full Coverage of the Democratic National Convention

At a press conference Tuesday, they announced they found a candidate. The only problem: They refused to reveal the name because, they claimed, the Democratic National Committee had conspired to prevent them from acquiring the forms needed to nominate the person.

"I think it won't be revealed to history for many years," said Norman Solomon, the California delegate who founded the network, who later said he would try to get the person to reveal themselves later in the day.

PlayDNC Election Confessions: Bernie Fans Come to Terms Facebook Twitter Google PlusEmbed
DNC Election Confessions: Bernie Fans Come to Terms 2:43
"Yes, there's a real person," he insisted, revealing only that it was not an elected official.

And he acknowledged that a survey of Sanders delegates showing major interest in protesting Kaine's nomination speech is not necessarily representative of Sanders' nearly 1,900 delegates, since responses were voluntary.

They would not survey delegates on whether Sanders' should be heeded, he added.
"It's easy to boo. But it is harder to look your kids in the face who will be living under a Donald Trump presidency"

Well said.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Roll call is in progress.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Democrats Abroad just cast their votes- 7 for Clinton and 10 for Sanders. So that's my vote counted.

Democrats Abroad was accompanied by a moving speech from Bernie's brother (who apparently lives in England).

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

From the bits of the roll call I've watched, the tone of the crowd seems quite positive. Hopefully not a lot of Buster disruption.

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

There has been substantial cheering for both Sen. Sanders and Sec. Clinton vote announcements. Zero boos that I can hear.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This is a much better show than the GOP joke.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

South Dakota clinches it. Clinton is now officially the Democratic nominee, and the first female nominee for a major party. :D

Rest in peace 2016 primary. ;)

The general election is well and truly under way.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Wait, Vermont passed? Why?
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ah I see why. Nice move.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yes.

Bernie stood up at the end of the role call to move that the rules be suspended and Clinton declared the nominee by acclamation.

Any objections any of the Bernie or Bust crowd had were throughly drown out by the applause of the crowd. :D

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Damn that virginia governor is tearing Trump a new one.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I felt that, while obviously coincidental, Bernie's final delegate tally of 1865 had some nice symbolism to it. 1865 being the year that the Civil War ended and slavery was abolished.

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Thanas wrote:Damn that virginia governor is tearing Trump a new one.
Damn, MSNBC cut back to talking heads when he was speaking.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ADD: The way Bernie Sanders phrased his request means that the official roll call vote of the DNC will be reflected in the records (i.e. not unanimous), so technically it wasn't by acclamation.

In other news, SDNetter Losonti Tokash was with the Nebraska delegation.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So I'm hearing Bernie Delegate walkout on my social media not seeing any stories so minor thing or invented thing?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton