Germany to join French mission against ISIS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Germany to join French mission against ISIS

Post by Broomstick »

That supposes that the civilians are allowed to flee - what if they're threatened with being shot if they leave their trucks? Or their family members are being held against their obedient behavior?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Broomstick wrote:That supposes that the civilians are allowed to flee - what if they're threatened with being shot if they leave their trucks? Or their family members are being held against their obedient behavior?
Then they are basically screwed, unfortunately. I don't think the USAF is taking that possibility into account. At least, during a recent series of airstrikes which destroyed 200+ oil trucks, the civilian drivers all fled their trucks before they were destroyed, so it seems there were zero or few casualties. Whether these fleeing civilians were later punished or executed by ISIS is unknown.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Broomstick wrote:That supposes that the civilians are allowed to flee - what if they're threatened with being shot if they leave their trucks? Or their family members are being held against their obedient behavior?
This is my answer to that sort of thought. ISIS kills a hell of a lot of people each day for the fun of it. Every further day they exist more people die. It is thus better to force them to kill more people for a short while and than end them permanently than to just leave them be. Thus anything that we do to end them is justified as long as we don't go all ham and drop atomic bombs or something.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.