no charges for cop who shot kid holding bb gun

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Re: no charges for cop who shot kid holding bb gun

Post by TheHammer »

cadbrowser wrote:So, for no other reason than it looks cool. Ok.

I appreciate what TheFeniX and Grumman have been discussing regarding this because it makes sense. It seems to me that a balance of civilian instruction on the do's and dont's, and police common sense would be a good thing that could possibly prevent senseless acts like what is being reported here.

I also understand how the make all toy handguns obviously fake thing I mentioned earlier wouldn't really work. Or, perhaps, it would work, but not on a significant scale to mitigate the issues at hand.
Well there is a reason why these events aren't all that common and make national news when they do occur. Human beings are fallible, and being such things that aren't weapons will be mistaken for being them even when all proper procedures are followed. The system isn't broken simply because it isn't perfect, there really isn't anything here to fix other than to educate anyone playing with toy guns to drop them immediately if challenged.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Re: no charges for cop who shot kid holding bb gun

Post by cadbrowser »

TheHammer wrote:Well there is a reason why these events aren't all that common and make national news when they do occur. Human beings are fallible, and being such things that aren't weapons will be mistaken for being them even when all proper procedures are followed. The system isn't broken simply because it isn't perfect, there really isn't anything here to fix other than to educate anyone playing with toy guns to drop them immediately if challenged.
Not sure if it would be as easy as that as was mentioned earlier. Someone yells, "Drop the gun!", and you are holding a table leg, or a water pistol...you are probably going to look around to see who actually has a gun.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada