Libertarianism - Good or bad?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Libertarianism - Good or bad?

Post by K. A. Pital »

Lord Zentei wrote:Yes, obviously. Or is it? I'd think that if you want to add a large bureaucracy you need to provide evidence that the cost-benefit of that endeavour is favourable. Burden of proof must rest with the one who wants to spend more money, right? ;) In any case, I think it pretty clear that all too often a bureaucracy will favor special interests, as per capture theory.
Yup, that's right. And nonetheless on the average HDI is higher in nations with greater economic interventionism and thus bigger state bureaucracies. I know this might be a cause/effect problem (First World economies are big and thus can support big bureaucracies, not vice versa).
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Re: Libertarianism - Good or bad?

Post by Lord Zentei »

Stas Bush wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:Yes, obviously. Or is it? I'd think that if you want to add a large bureaucracy you need to provide evidence that the cost-benefit of that endeavour is favourable. Burden of proof must rest with the one who wants to spend more money, right? ;) In any case, I think it pretty clear that all too often a bureaucracy will favor special interests, as per capture theory.
Yup, that's right. And nonetheless on the average HDI is higher in nations with greater economic interventionism and thus bigger state bureaucracies. I know this might be a cause/effect problem (First World economies are big and thus can support big bureaucracies, not vice versa).
Yes, the latter possibility seems more likely to me, actually. You can also look at the rates of growth and infer from that which came first, the welfare or the wealth. For all that, I've always maintained that some measure of welfare is necessary.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka