BREAKING: SHOOTING AT FORT HOOD

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

hongi
Jedi Council Member

Re: BREAKING: SHOOTING AT FORT HOOD

Post by hongi »

He's awake and able to talk.
SAN ANTONIO – A U.S. Army hospital spokesman says the man suspected in a deadly shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas, is conscious and able to talk.

Dewey Mitchell, a spokesman at Brooke Army Medical Center, says Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan remains in stable condition. Mitchell says Hasan has been awake and able to talk since he was taken off a ventilator Saturday.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Sounds like Hasan was a terrorist wannabe.
U.S. intelligence agencies were aware months ago that Army Major Nidal Hasan was attempting to make contact with people associated with al Qaeda, two American officials briefed on classified material in the case told ABC News.

It is not known whether the intelligence agencies informed the Army that one of its officers was seeking to connect with suspected al Qaeda figures, the officials said.

Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-MI) said the CIA had, so far, refused to brief the intelligence committees on what, if any, knowledge they had about Hasan's efforts.

CIA director Leon Panetta and the Director of National Intelligence, Dennis Blair, have been asked by Congress "to preserve" all documents and intelligence files that relate to Hasan, according to the lawmaker.

Hoekstra said he is "absolutely furious" that the house intel committee has been refused an intelligence briefing by the DNI or CIA on Hasan's attempt to reach out to al Qaeda, as first reported by ABC News.

Investigators want to know if Hasan maintained contact with a radical mosque leader from Virginia, Anwar al Awlaki, who now lives in Yemen and runs a web site that promotes jihad around the world against the U.S.
More at the link. God DAMN but if this is true its going to make it a lot harder to be a muslim in the US.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Sounds like Hasan was a terrorist wannabe.
U.S. intelligence agencies were aware months ago that Army Major Nidal Hasan was attempting to make contact with people associated with al Qaeda, two American officials briefed on classified material in the case told ABC News.

It is not known whether the intelligence agencies informed the Army that one of its officers was seeking to connect with suspected al Qaeda figures, the officials said.

Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-MI) said the CIA had, so far, refused to brief the intelligence committees on what, if any, knowledge they had about Hasan's efforts.

CIA director Leon Panetta and the Director of National Intelligence, Dennis Blair, have been asked by Congress "to preserve" all documents and intelligence files that relate to Hasan, according to the lawmaker.

Hoekstra said he is "absolutely furious" that the house intel committee has been refused an intelligence briefing by the DNI or CIA on Hasan's attempt to reach out to al Qaeda, as first reported by ABC News.

Investigators want to know if Hasan maintained contact with a radical mosque leader from Virginia, Anwar al Awlaki, who now lives in Yemen and runs a web site that promotes jihad around the world against the U.S.
Wow, if they didn't inform them, well, whatever happened to "Each hand doesn't have a clue what the other's doing" problem that allowed 9/11?
How hard is it to inform a base "Say, one of your officers is meeting radicals, keep an eye on him in case he starts to crack".
More at the link. God DAMN but if this is true its going to make it a lot harder to be a muslim in the US.
As opposed to after 9/11? :P.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

9/11 of course made life more difficult for Muslims, but a lot of people were willing to see it as an aberration of sorts, holding to the idea that most Muslims were not that sort of violent terrorist.

If, however, we keep having episodes of terrorism or murder connected to Muslims then it begins to form a pattern that will indeed make life ever harder for all Muslims, not just the radicalized ones.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

By most accounts this guy is a devout Muslim. But he also goes to a strip club and drinks beer? Didn't the 9/11 hijackers do the same thing?
Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan came into the Starz strip club not far from the base at least three times in the past month, the club's general manager, Matthew Jones, told FoxNews.com. Army investigators building their case against Hasan plan to interview Jones soon.
It's quite interesting to see how the Muslim community is reacting to this. Most of course have come out condemning the actions, no ifs or buts. But some are pointing to his alleged discrimination, the associated PTSD he might have gotten from his patients and all that sort of bullshit to say that 'hey look, maybe it wasn't a religious attack after all'. Then the info filters in about how he had contacts with terrorists, had extremist views and got into debates in his mosque about American foreign policy...I wonder what they'll come up with.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

I don't know. Is it terrorism if he targeted military targets and was selective with who he killed? Is it normally considered terrorism if you target civillians?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I would think this is easily covered in the Military Justice code and he will likely be charged with some variety of treason or some such which means death penalty should be on the table.

Also I would be surprised if he goes near a courtroom for this. Keeping it within the military justice system seems like the best course of action.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

ArmorPierce wrote:I don't know. Is it terrorism if he targeted military targets and was selective with who he killed? Is it normally considered terrorism if you target civillians?
Just FYI there are a shit load of civilian contractors on a military base.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

ArmorPierce wrote:I don't know. Is it terrorism if he targeted military targets and was selective with who he killed? Is it normally considered terrorism if you target civillians?
This would more probably fall under terrorism. This is a generalization but a military attack would attempt to have a military outcome, i.e. to move a military force from a position, to draw out an attack, etc., etc. Terrorism on the other hand attempts to force a political outcome through the use of fear on a populace, which is what it sounds like he might have been trying to do.

The realities are more nuanced that that, but I think it gives you the gist.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

General Schatten wrote:
Just FYI there are a shit load of civilian contractors on a military base.
As he methodically moved around the room, he spared some people while firing on others several times. He seemed to discriminate among his targets, though it is unclear why. All but one of the dead were soldiers.

“Our witnesses said he made eye contact with a guy and then moved to somebody in uniform,” said Representative K. Michael Conaway, Republican of Texas.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

even though hasan's scum, you kind of have to pity him. and the way that douchebags like Robert Spencer are using it to say that all muslims are bad makes me want to puke.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

What is there to pity? Because he decided to kill a bunch of people instead of going AWOL and potentially face prison time?

His choices for not being deployed were not ??? and KillKILLKIILLLLLL!!!!

He's a fucking lunatic and I won't shed a tear for him when the USCMJ hangs him as a traitor.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Don't use acronyms you don't understand. That means Uniformed Services Code of Military Justice, and a book of laws doesn't string a guy up. It does prescribe the punishment, though. Pity it won't be by firing squad, I'd like to see an execution done in the old fashion one last time. Mind you, there's never anyone more perfectly deserving of murder. This fellow has the same sympathies as Benedict Arnold, but he was so pathetic that he couldn't even succeed in actually committing treason, so he had to settle for wandering around with a gun one day. "Loser" comes to mind as a good and appropriate description for someone who even fails at committing treason.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I know what it means. I used it as the USCMJ has different procedures, punishments, etc. than a civilian court and as such has different punishments available.

Any court martial is going to follow the USCMJ and as such I was using that as the code he will be judged against.

The book of laws used is significantly different from the normally understood code of laws in America and deserves distinction.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's the Onion, but damned if that isn't true. :banghead:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

KrauserKrauser wrote:I know what it means. I used it as the USCMJ has different procedures, punishments, etc. than a civilian court and as such has different punishments available.

Any court martial is going to follow the USCMJ and as such I was using that as the code he will be judged against.

The book of laws used is significantly different from the normally understood code of laws in America and deserves distinction.
Duh.

And I also know this. The point was that you made it sound like the USCMJ was an organization, which is not factual, and I wanted to provide a correction for those people (who are honestly probably going to be the majority) who read this thread and have never heard the acronym before. It's no big deal, but I wanted to make the note.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:This fellow has the same sympathies as Benedict Arnold, but he was so pathetic that he couldn't even succeed in actually committing treason, so he had to settle for wandering around with a gun one day. "Loser" comes to mind as a good and appropriate description for someone who even fails at committing treason.
Hey, hey, don't you compare a random lunatic with a gun to a war hero and brilliant commander who had good reasons to be bitter and disillusioned with the Continental Congress.
Razorgeist
Youngling

Post by Razorgeist »

Has it been explained why exactly no action was taken against him beforehand if there were warning signs?
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know.
I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." - David Cronenberg

"Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys that like to lie in a tub while other guys pee on him?" - Bill Hicks