Michael Brown Case

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Surprised nobody is talking about the riots in St Louis.

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, german police keeps mounted units for the same reasons. Nobody messes with a giant horse and people don't like to attack animals anyway.
Let's not tar all police because there's one department that needs serious house-cleaning.
I wrote:.Those US police [/b]in the photos seem to suffer from the "being a massive pussy" and "not being taught proper riot control" symptoms.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Broomy, think about what cops mounted on horses in the South would be portrayed as. The cops are also leaving the peaceful protestors alone during the day. The problem seems to be that they're being hit with Molotov cocktails, bricks and occasionally gunfire at night, so they're going overboard to break up the crowds before the sun sets.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Frankly, I'm not sure what is going on down there, between the divergent stories and the journalists being harassed/arrested. My comment was mostly to point out that there are far more effective ways to handle crowds than what is being used.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

With my department we had an issue where an officer didn't allow a camera crew to setup outside the crime scene tape near a major crime. He received discipline for that and we all received training which was basically...the press is free to setup anywhere in a public place that isn't considered a crime scene and taped off with crime scene tape.

Here the police have setup a media blackout thus we have no idea what the context of these photographs are. Normally, I would be inquiring what the context of those photographs that Thanas and others web-wide have posted but since they've effectively kicked the media out whatever context people decide those photos have is entirely the fault of the strategy being implemented here.

EDIT - I have heard reports of gunfire aimed at police and the like but I don't know how widespread it is or if it is isolated incidents. If there is widespread attacks on police with firearms then the deployment of armored vehicles and rifles is prudent.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:With my department we had an issue where an officer didn't allow a camera crew to setup outside the crime scene tape near a major crime. He received discipline for that and we all received training which was basically...the press is free to setup anywhere in a public place that isn't considered a crime scene and taped off with crime scene tape.

Here the police have setup a media blackout thus we have no idea what the context of these photographs are. Normally, I would be inquiring what the context of those photographs that Thanas and others web-wide have posted but since they've effectively kicked the media out whatever context people decide those photos have is entirely the fault of the strategy being implemented here.

EDIT - I have heard reports of gunfire aimed at police and the like but I don't know how widespread it is or if it is isolated incidents. If there is widespread attacks on police with firearms then the deployment of armored vehicles and rifles is prudent.

If. Frankly, this department is not above lying through its teeth to justify doing whatever it wants. Like murdering people. Multiple independent witnesses vs the police report in Browns murder. I find it telling that the department decides on a narrative before it investigates. So whatever the reports are, kind of like the LAPD, so long as the lips of their mouthpieces are moving, they are lying until proven otherwise.

Either way, they dont have the right to create a media blackout. They dont have the right to attack journalists, arrest journalists, arrest politicians who are sitting in their cars, or for that matter, shoot unarmed black men.

Either way... if the police wish to behave like an occupying army, let them be treated as one.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

That the police in Ferguson are actively trying to get the media away from everything they do is pretty damning, I think. If they're responding with a reasonable degree of force they have no reason to want the media out of there. The media quite probably isn't going to start shooting at the police, throwing bricks, or hurling molotovs. Fuck, were the police responding in a reasonable way they would actively want the media there to prove that people are providing a good reason to display the level of force that's being displayed.

But the media is getting forced out of the area. Call me paranoid, but I think that alone is enough to justify the suspicion that the police know that what they're doing is illegal as hell and unethical beyond belief.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

Thanas wrote: It does. On August 5 in Beavercreek, Ohio, 22-year-old John Crawford was killed in a Walmart when a toy gun he had picked up from inside the store was apparently mistaken for a real gun. LeeCee Johnson, who had two children with Crawford, said that she was on the phone with him, and that his last words before she heard gunshots from police officers were, "It's not real."
http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/bea ... ned/ngxw7/
The model of "toy" gun in question http://www.crosman.com/croswords/?p=3136
That Walmart does sell AR-15's in several variants.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:That the police in Ferguson are actively trying to get the media away from everything they do is pretty damning, I think. If they're responding with a reasonable degree of force they have no reason to want the media out of there. The media quite probably isn't going to start shooting at the police, throwing bricks, or hurling molotovs. Fuck, were the police responding in a reasonable way they would actively want the media there to prove that people are providing a good reason to display the level of force that's being displayed.

But the media is getting forced out of the area. Call me paranoid, but I think that alone is enough to justify the suspicion that the police know that what they're doing is illegal as hell and unethical beyond belief.
The foreign PR value of an Al-Jazeera media crew being forced to dissassemble thier camera is hilarious. Next time that happens to CNN in some "3rd world shithole" I will laugh.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Ron Johnson walks with protesters

I'm on my phone so you'll just have to click the link, but it seems there's been a complete shift on how they're treating the riots.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Again, mostly tweets and pics. Johnson spent Thursday night policing instead of occupying.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Gaidin wrote:
Again, mostly tweets and pics. Johnson spent Thursday night policing instead of occupying.
But Policing means that the pack of adrenaline-chasing, half-literate apes with delusions of grandeur and a power trip complex can't strap on all their tacticool gear and play commando! Where are your priorities, man?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Nice to see that somebody with a functioning brain took over the situation. :D
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Finally a real cop in charge.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Even veterans from the U.S. military think Ferguson police were being total cocks.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

They even brought knives. Surely that would be my riot control tool of choice. :lol:
They were literaly equipped worse for riot control than most police forces in 3rd world countries.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

salm wrote:They even brought knives. Surely that would be my riot control tool of choice. :lol:
They were literaly equipped worse for riot control than most police forces in 3rd world countries.
All cops carry knives.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Do you carry two of them, including a K-bar?
------------
------------
My LPs
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:With my department we had an issue where an officer didn't allow a camera crew to setup outside the crime scene tape near a major crime. He received discipline for that and we all received training which was basically...the press is free to setup anywhere in a public place that isn't considered a crime scene and taped off with crime scene tape.

If. Frankly, this department is not above lying through its teeth to justify doing whatever it wants. Like murdering people. Multiple independent witnesses vs the police report in Browns murder. I find it telling that the department decides on a narrative before it investigates. So whatever the reports are, kind of like the LAPD, so long as the lips of their mouthpieces are moving, they are lying until proven otherwise.

Either way, they dont have the right to create a media blackout. They dont have the right to attack journalists, arrest journalists, arrest politicians who are sitting in their cars, or for that matter, shoot unarmed black men.

Either way... if the police wish to behave like an occupying army, let them be treated as one.
Agreed. The picture of the confederate flag with the chief's son seriously biased me against them anyway. The media blackout helped me rationally justify it. So, yeah. "If" is a very generous word at this point.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Thanas wrote:Do you carry two of them, including a K-bar?
Ha. I must have missed that picture...

No. I just carry one knife in my left cargo pocket. or those that are curious that knife is a Gerber Guardian. It's small and concealable. Many cops carry two knives though but those are also usually small knives.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
salm wrote:They even brought knives. Surely that would be my riot control tool of choice. :lol:
All cops carry knives.
You bring knives to riots?
And do you wear it in a way that somebody could snatch it?

I´ve been to plenty of riots and have never seen a cop with a knife, esspecially not a combat knife.
They have tonfas and sometimes but not allways a handgun (which I hope is secured safely enough that nobody can grab it.) Some have pepper spray.

They are basically walking tanks with a stick.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

salm wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
All cops carry knives.

I´ve been to plenty of riots and have never seen a cop with a knife, esspecially not a combat knife.
They have tonfas and sometimes but not allways a handgun (which I hope is secured safely enough that nobody can grab it.) Some have pepper spray.

They are basically walking tanks with a stick.
It's a training thing. A small knife is useful for a lot of things that have nothing to do with stabbing people. The KA bar is stupid to bring. I don't know who they had running things Wednesday night, but that was just a massive leadership failure, they basically violated every rule of counter insurgency (which all apply for crowd control too). There was a reason we were taught to take off our helmets, gloves and sunglasses when engaging key leaders in Civil Affairs.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

It's a training thing. A small knife is useful for a lot of things that have nothing to do with stabbing people. The KA bar is stupid to bring. I don't know who they had running things Wednesday night, but that was just a massive leadership failure, they basically violated every rule of counter insurgency (which all apply for crowd control too). There was a reason we were taught to take off our helmets, gloves and sunglasses when engaging key leaders in Civil Affairs.
A small knife for tool reasons I have no issue with.
My post was unprecise.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

salm wrote:
All cops carry knives at all times while on duty. A knife is a tool that can function as a weapon during an extreme situation such as struggling with someone trying to take your handgun.
Like I said in my previous post I keep mine in my left cargo pocket. It's concealed and in a sheath. It would be no easier to snatch than some of the other weapons on my belt such as my OC and baton.
You haven't looked closely enough. EDIT - Assuming of course you're talking about US cops. If not then I can't speak for them.
Then you're not in the US. All cops in the US are armed with handguns while on duty and in a uniformed assignment.