Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by Solauren »

Now THAT is classy trolling.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by Sidewinder »

The Ukrainian Armed Forces is manufacturing fake news about Russian aircraft it shot down.
The rhk111 Philippine Defense Updates, March 8, 2022 wrote:Ukrainian Armed Forces caught manufacturing Fake News about a supposedly downed Russian Aircraft

An official Twitter Account of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine with the Name Генеральний штаб ЗСУ (@GeneralStaffUA) was caught sharing Fake News about the shooting down of a Russian Aircraft recently.

The Account, which was verified as “Official” by Twitter and has a Blue Check Mark beside its name, shared a Picture on March 7, 2022 with a Caption that said, “… Another aircraft of the Russian Occupiers lands on Ukrainian Soil …”.

However, it was noticed by Netizens like the Intel Slava Z Account on Telegram that the Picture was derived from News Articles of a Russian Aircraft that was shot down over Turkey back in 2015.

The original Picture was modified in that it was flipped both Horizontally and Vertically, then darkened on some Parts to make it harder to track down that it was modified. But thanks to the internet, they were caught.

Now if the OFFICIAL Ukrainian Government is so desperate as to start making Fake News like this about the War, then it makes you wonder how much more they have made recently?

<Snip.>
The picture can be seen on https://therhk111philippinedefenseupdat ... craft.html
Archived links to the sources include https://archive.ph/qVAgF and https://archive.fo/K8TM1
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Doesn't really matter when OSINT people are looking at photos of shot-down planes and counting the tail codes.

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Sidewinder wrote: 2022-03-10 08:59amAnyone else feel like this is a suspiciously specific denial?
Not really. It's about as credible as Powell at the UN, because it leaves out a lot of necessary detail. Perhaps the most important one being why the US would operate such things so close to Russia, in a territory to which Russia lays claim.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Sidewinder wrote: 2022-03-10 06:31pm The Ukrainian Armed Forces is manufacturing fake news about Russian aircraft it shot down.
So? Russian media is not reporting anything BUT fake news.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Sidewinder wrote: The Ukrainian Armed Forces is manufacturing fake news about Russian aircraft it shot down.
Even if that’s a piece of Ukrainian fake news, so what?

Putin is claiming Ukraine doesn’t have a right to exist, and is full of evilz USA chemical/biological weapons manufacturing + Nazi maternity wards that must be destroyed. Oh, and that Russia is not actually invading, merely sending hundred thousand + troops on a special military operation.

There’s a big difference between understanding Putin’s logic for the war (that he’d rather invade Ukraine than risk letting it join NATO) and agreeing with it, or actually buying into all his propaganda BS.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

There are websites devoted to documenting and cataloging all destroyed or abandoned russian equipment, with photographs.

There are 12 russian aircraft that can be proven to be shot down in ukraine, if an official Ukrainian twitter posted a different photo, it's not propaganda it's just fog of war.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/a ... pment.html
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

There is a certain amount of psychological aspect to it.

Russia is downplaying their loses in their own media. Fine. They are probably outright denying stuff people know is true.

For example, anyone associated with one of the down craft is going to know about it, even if Russia is denying it.

So, from the point of view of people that were connected to a downed craft - if Russia is denying that craft, and it's true, how much of the other stuff they are denying is true? COULD every downed Aircraft that Ukraine is claiming be true? Going up, are we going up to DIE?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2022-03-10 08:46pm There are 12 russian aircraft that can be proven to be shot down in ukraine, if an official Ukrainian twitter posted a different photo, it's not propaganda it's just fog of war.
Also makes a few Russian officials have to waste time confirming it's not legitimate.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-03-10 05:55pm Now THAT is classy trolling.
I laughed so hard Mom asked what was the matter! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is the bit about the egg carton armor real?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Sort of. Russian spaced Explosive Reactive Armor is supposed to include spacers that look like egg cartons, but the pictures look like it's only the egg carton shaped spacers and no actual armor:

There's supposed to be explody bits in that bag, that explode if they get hit and push the projectile away from the tank. There's no explody bits, just the egg carton-shaped cardboard spacers. This is what it should look like:

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Pretty funny and uncanny predictions of the Ukraine war from 2021 by a former russian mp.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/commen ... rom_april/
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sidewinder wrote: 2022-03-10 06:31pm The Ukrainian Armed Forces is manufacturing fake news about Russian aircraft it shot down.
Yeah, it's called "propaganda".

Plenty of people out there doing the work to confirm actual aircraft shot down.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Tribble wrote: 2022-03-10 07:28pm
Sidewinder wrote: The Ukrainian Armed Forces is manufacturing fake news about Russian aircraft it shot down.

Putin is claiming Ukraine doesn’t have a right to exist, and is full of evilz USA chemical/biological weapons manufacturing + Nazi maternity wards that must be destroyed. Oh, and that Russia is not actually invading, merely sending hundred thousand + troops on a special military operation.

There’s a big difference between understanding Putin’s logic for the war (that he’d rather invade Ukraine than risk letting it join NATO) and agreeing with it, or actually buying into all his propaganda BS.
Sergei Lavrov claimed with a straight face to international diplomats that Russia hasn’t invaded Ukraine.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2022-03-11 01:02am Sort of. Russian spaced Explosive Reactive Armor is supposed to include spacers that look like egg cartons, but the pictures look like it's only the egg carton shaped spacers and no actual armor:

(SNIPPED IMAGE)

There's supposed to be explody bits in that bag, that explode if they get hit and push the projectile away from the tank. There's no explody bits, just the egg carton-shaped cardboard spacers. This is what it should look like:

(SNIPPED IMAGE)
Almost like someone took the armor out and sold it off or something.....

Ah, Russian corruption, you amusing bastard!

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Col. Crackpot wrote: 2022-03-11 11:19am
Tribble wrote: 2022-03-10 07:28pm

Sergei Lavrov claimed with a straight face to international diplomats that Russia hasn’t invaded Ukraine.
Well at least Russia is consistent. So what happened first, pissing themselves or splitting their sides laughing at him? :wanker:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It seems Russia is trying to solve the conscript problem. Bolding is Mine.

Russia Is Recruiting Mercenaries
BBCNews wrote:Social media channels and private messaging groups are being used in Russia to recruit a new brigade of mercenaries to fight in Ukraine alongside the army, the BBC has learned.

The BBC has spoken to a serving mercenary and a former fighter with close links to one of Russia's leading mercenary organisations, who have shared details of the recruitment campaign.

The serving mercenary said many veterans of the secretive Wagner organisation were contacted on a private Telegram group a few weeks before the start of the war. They were invited to a "picnic in Ukraine", with references to tasting "Salo", a pork fat traditionally eaten in Ukraine.

The message appeals to "those with criminal records, debts, banned from mercenary groups or without an external passport" to apply. The message also included that "those from the Russian-occupied areas of Luhansk and Donetsk republics and Crimea - cordially invited.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So, a merc could sign up for this with his buddies, go to the Ukraine, and surrender and then bugger off?

Now way this could backfire!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-03-12 02:28pm So, a merc could sign up for this with his buddies, go to the Ukraine, and surrender and then bugger off?

Now way this could backfire!
It's more the type of people this will draw. Those who will have no compunction against committing crimes against civilians, whether it's theft, slaughter, or rape.
Seriously, think about it -- what crime did you commit to get kicked out of and Banned by a Mercenary Group?

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Col. Crackpot wrote: 2022-03-11 11:19am Sergei Lavrov claimed with a straight face to international diplomats that Russia hasn’t invaded Ukraine.
Amazing what botox will let you do!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... itary-aid/

Vladolph is getting desperate. Already begging for Chinese military aid. Hopefully China tells him to pound sand.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Col. Crackpot wrote: 2022-03-13 06:19pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... itary-aid/

Vladolph is getting desperate. Already begging for Chinese military aid. Hopefully China tells him to pound sand.
Well the Chinese are probably going to charge him an arm and leg for it. All the juicy next gen military tech as a possibility? The Chinese would most certainly like all the schematics on the Russian jet engines.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Apparently there are "encouraging" signs about peace talks between the two countries, Russia is still demanding Ukraine never join NATO in exchange for withdrawing.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I have got to say, as a finnish person we've lived all our lives with the thread of Russia on our borders and the idea has always been that if they attack, they'll steamroll us and our tactic basically to make them bleed for it, basically make the price so high it no longer seems palatable.

But after seeing the Russian army in action and learning just how hollow a shell it is of the red army that was. I don't really fear a russian attack anymore, I now believe if they tried, we'd curbstomp them so incredibly hard.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

You're also in the EU, so other EU states would be able to directly contribute as well.