Would You Trust Donald Trump to Decide Who Can Buy A Gun?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Would you trust somewone like Donald Trtump to unilaterally decide who may purchase a gun?

Yes
9%
No
91%

Total votes: 46

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Re: Would You Trust Donald Trump to Decide Who Can Buy A Gun?

Post by Zeropoint »

I'm a gun owner myself, and one of the guns I own is a Scary Black Rifle (although it's the civilian, semi-auto only version of the M14, not the current M16). It even has a feature that could be described as a "shoulder thing that goes up". :P

Having said that, I would be willing to support some tightening of firearms ownership and carry regulations, IF they were reasonable, not blatantly unconstitutional (like the watch list thing), and seemed reasonably likely to actually be effective in reducing the incidence of gun violence. Most of the restrictions that get proposed, though, don't meet those criteria as far as I can tell. For example, making college campuses "gun-free zones"--that doesn't do anything to stop the person who specifically came there to shoot it up. If you think that banning semi automatics or easily changeable magazines is going to make a difference, you haven't seen cowboy action shooters work their manual repeaters with fixed magazines.

I think we'd be better off trying to discover and counteract the toxic memes that are driving people to become violent. That's much, much harder than just banning the possession of certain objects, but it would address the problem, not just a symptom.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Re: Would You Trust Donald Trump to Decide Who Can Buy A Gun?

Post by amigocabal »

An update.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... shes-back/

Clearly, Trump is appealing to voters who share the same values as Mike Thompson has.