New Horizons probe successfully arrives at Pluto

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: New Horizons probe successfully arrives at Pluto

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Minor nitpick, it's rogue not rouge[/]. Rouge is a colour.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

No, all rouge planets found are bigger than Jupiter, not smaller than Mercury. They aren't planets because they don't orbit a star, they wander around the galaxy as "rouge" objects.
Ok see we were talking about planets within the solar system, not the objects wandering in interstellar space. In that case, they are all bigger than Jupiter and may in fact be brown dwarfs. So they are either labeled as brown dwarf, sub-brown dwarf, or rogue planet. So they are given their own unique name because they are obviously not the a typical planet that you would find orbiting a star.

Your question was why you can't have a really large dwarf planet? Well again one of the definitions of a dwarf planet is that it has not cleared out it's orbital path of debris. If it's really large, such as one of the current 8 planets, then it would be expected to have enough gravity to clear it's path. If it didn't, they it would probably be classified as something new, since it doesn't fit the standard idea of a dwarf planet. Here is (IMO) a reasonable way to think about it:

Of all the current planets with the current definition, Mercury is the smallest planet at twice the size of Pluto. If an object is found in the Kuiper belt that is smaller than Mercury and hasn't cleared it's orbital path, then it's a dwarf planet. If it HAS cleared it's path, then it's a planet. If in the unlikely event it's Mercury-sized or bigger and has not cleared it's path, then either it will be defined as a planet that's in an area of the solar system too volatile to be permanently cleared, or it will be defined as something new...but like hell if I know what it could be.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Minor nitpick, it's rogue not rouge[/]. Rouge is a colour.

So would Mars be a Rouge planet?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I see what you did there. And it was bad.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I see what you did there. And it was bad.
You're welcome. :-P
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Update - New Horizons takes first color images of Pluto and Charon.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/plutos-fir ... ons-probe/
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

It's not much, but it's still fucking incredible.
What a strange and beautiful paradox :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Pretty good, considering how far away Pluto still is — about 3/4 the distance from the Earth to the Sun. We can see Charon; I wonder how soon the smaller satellites will become visible?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The 'second and third' satellites are about one tenth to one twentieth the size, so they will likely be visible from one tenth or one twentieth the distance.

The 'fourth and fifth' satellites are in turn about one tenth the size of THOSE, so they will likely be visible from about one tenth of THAT distance.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah the other moons are pretty tiny. We should get a nice closeup look at them though in a couple months.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

And right on schedule, New Horizons just got a pic of the entire Pluto family.

http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/nasa- ... nown-moons

I'm getting excited here. Not too much longer and we get closeups of the surface!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I'll try not to <squee> too loudly when that happens. 8)

Some fascinating stuff coming down from Dawn as well now that it's finally closed in enough for mapping orbits — those big bright spots on Ceres are apparently tight clusters of little bright spots and even tinier bright spots, the smallest so far visible maybe a mile or two across.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

New images from Pluto. The probe has gotten close enough to begin seeing some surface details. Still quite fuzzy, but getting there!

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/different-f ... w-horizons
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Is it me, or is that not exactly a smooth sphere? Looks very lumpy, though it's probably trick of the light/too soon to tell anyway...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Chimaera wrote:Is it me, or is that not exactly a smooth sphere? Looks very lumpy, though it's probably trick of the light/too soon to tell anyway...
I can see what you mean, but it's probably just illumination.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Might even be a little of both - if it's truly much more lumpy than the average "full size" planet that's yet another argument for the "dwarf planet" or "Kuipier object" status.

It's very exciting for us geeks.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah it's still 24 million miles away. The pics we'll be getting next month are going to be fantastic though!
orbitingpluto
Youngling

Post by orbitingpluto »

Chimaera wrote:Is it me, or is that not exactly a smooth sphere? Looks very lumpy, though it's probably trick of the light/too soon to tell anyway...
A Planetary Society blog post touched on this, it is a trick of light and how the camera works.
A lot of people are commenting that Pluto does not look round in these photos. You're right, it doesn't look round, but that's just an artifact of the way the camera works and the way the images have been enlarged and processed. The processing tends to turn anything that is especially bright into something that looks like a mountain, and anything that is especially dark into something that looks like a hole. In fact, since Pluto is quite large enough for the force of its self-gravity to overcome the strength of its icy material, there is no question that it will be very much round, more round than Ceres. (Pluto has the same density as Ceres, so has similar ice/rock composition, but Pluto has more than 14 times Ceres' mass, so its gravity is significantly stronger.) Roundness is one of the very few things that we can confidently predict about Pluto before New Horizons' flyby, because basic physics does a remarkably good job of predicting bulk physical properties of space objects.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

orbitingpluto wrote:
A Planetary Society blog post touched on this, it is a trick of light and how the camera works.
A lot of people are commenting that Pluto does not look round in these photos. You're right, it doesn't look round, but that's just an artifact of the way the camera works and the way the images have been enlarged and processed. The processing tends to turn anything that is especially bright into something that looks like a mountain, and anything that is especially dark into something that looks like a hole. In fact, since Pluto is quite large enough for the force of its self-gravity to overcome the strength of its icy material, there is no question that it will be very much round, more round than Ceres. (Pluto has the same density as Ceres, so has similar ice/rock composition, but Pluto has more than 14 times Ceres' mass, so its gravity is significantly stronger.) Roundness is one of the very few things that we can confidently predict about Pluto before New Horizons' flyby, because basic physics does a remarkably good job of predicting bulk physical properties of space objects.
I thought it might be something like that given Pluto's mass. Thanks :)

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Only one million miles to go! Probe is close enough to be picking out surface features such as craters and mountains.

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/one-million ... -than-ever

And here's a live progress tracker for the probe too:

http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/eyes-on-pluto.html
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

And we have flyby!

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newho ... index.html

First closeup color images of Pluto:

http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/a-por ... and-charon

Beautiful. This is sweet. It's a shame we can't get live video from the probe, but distance and all that.

Edit - check out the Google doodle for today. heh

Edit - live briefing on NASA TV:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Damn, are those two objects actually that close to each other?

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Damn, are those two objects actually that close to each other?
I think so. The images are composites of the black and white + color data taken recently but I see nothing saying it's a composite of separate images of Pluto and Charon. I think they really are that close...which screams "binary planet" to me.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well I knew they were pretty close in but I thought it'd be, I dunno, half the Earth-Moon distance or something, not "We can get them both in one neat photograph and still see surface detail."

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'm sure that's just one of many surprises waiting for us once the full data starts coming back.

Oh and watching NASA TV - it's hilarious to see the head engineers and mission planners complaining that they arrived at Pluto a minute and a half early, missing the exact aim point by 70km. :)