Take an innocent life, pay a $500 fine

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Take an innocent life, pay a $500 fine

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
PKRudeBoy wrote:The problem is the fact that those warning shots still go somewhere. If you shoot into the ground, there's less risk, but it could still ricochet. If you shoot into the air, that bullet could end up hitting a kid half a mile away.
Not this "warning shots are so dangerous" nonsense again. This danger is vastly overestimated.
Well, it's dangerous enough that reckless discharge of a firearm under normal conditions is and should be illegal- but self defense should be at least as good a defense against that as it would be against charges of assault or manslaughter.

I mean, the odds of shooting with every intention of killing your target and missing, and thus having the bullet go "somewhere" and maybe kill someone, are rather high. So clearly, from a consequential viewpoint, shooting to miss on purpose can't be worse than shooting and missing by accident.
General Zod wrote:
The laws notion that you can only use guns when intending to use deadly force appears flawed to me.
If you're not willing to follow through the gun can be taken from you and used against you or someone else. It becomes a massive liability if your attacker calls your bluff.
I get this- but the point is, if you're in a situation where someone actually is attacking you, and you try to defend yourself with a deadly weapon, but hesitate to kill... why is this somehow your fault? Why are you more of a criminal for hesitating to kill your attacker, and trying NOT to kill them, than you would be for shooting your attacker dead?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Simon_Jester wrote:I get this- but the point is, if you're in a situation where someone actually is attacking you, and you try to defend yourself with a deadly weapon, but hesitate to kill... why is this somehow your fault? Why are you more of a criminal for hesitating to kill your attacker, and trying NOT to kill them, than you would be for shooting your attacker dead?
If you're not willing to kill someone if it comes down to it, why are you even carrying a gun? It's pure negligence.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

General Zod wrote: If you're not willing to kill someone if it comes down to it, why are you even carrying a gun? It's pure negligence.
What's the proportion of times a gun being brandished NEEDS to be used to kill someone? That is, how many criminals will charge someone carrying a gun just to test whether or not they are capable of shooting in the first place, and then how many at that point will ignore a warning shot? Whether or not willingness/intent to kill should be some sort of psychological prerequisite to gun ownership (as you seem to think is necessary) has a lot to do with what the answer to this question is. I don't know the numbers or even how to find them reliably, but if, say, 99% of the time a warning shot is fired it ends the confrontation, you don't have a statistical case. At what level would be that proportion need to be in order for the trade-off to be valid? 50/50? 60/40? etc.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: That is, how many criminals will charge someone carrying a gun just to test whether or not they are capable of shooting in the first place, and then how many at that point will ignore a warning shot?
Maybe they don't need to charge them. Maybe they just decide to shoot first because what have they got to lose?
Whether or not willingness/intent to kill should be some sort of psychological prerequisite to gun ownership (as you seem to think is necessary) has a lot to do with what the answer to this question is. I don't know the numbers or even how to find them reliably, but if, say, 99% of the time a warning shot is fired it ends the confrontation, you don't have a statistical case. At what level would be that proportion need to be in order for the trade-off to be valid? 50/50? 60/40? etc.
[/quote]

Not gun ownership, gun carrying. There's plenty of other options available if you're not willing to follow through on killing someone and it doesn't really make you any safer.

But don't take my word for it.

Code: Select all

After we adjusted for confounding factors, individuals who were in possession of a gun were 4.46 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.16, 17.04) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Individuals who were in possession of a gun were also 4.23 (95% CI = 1.19, 15.13) times more likely to be fatally shot in an assault. In assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, individuals who were in possession of a gun were 5.45 (95% CI = 1.01, 29.92) times more likely to be shot.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

General Zod wrote:But don't take my word for it.

Code: Select all

After we adjusted for confounding factors, individuals who were in possession of a gun were 4.46 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.16, 17.04) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Individuals who were in possession of a gun were also 4.23 (95% CI = 1.19, 15.13) times more likely to be fatally shot in an assault. In assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, individuals who were in possession of a gun were 5.45 (95% CI = 1.01, 29.92) times more likely to be shot.
Three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. The average gunshot victim with a gun in that study was a black male with prior arrests, with a fairly high probability of being out of work. They also tended to be in locations with high illicit drug use and lower income. The likely actual scenario is that gun possession by a gunshot victim in the survey location tends to be highly correlated with being a criminal (gangs and/or drugs). If this is the case, then it doesn't mean that gun possession by non-criminals would show the same effect. Given that there were ~24k LTCF permits issued in the city and 1 million people, their probability of getting permit holders in either case or control group is fairly small.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

General Zod wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I get this- but the point is, if you're in a situation where someone actually is attacking you, and you try to defend yourself with a deadly weapon, but hesitate to kill... why is this somehow your fault? Why are you more of a criminal for hesitating to kill your attacker, and trying NOT to kill them, than you would be for shooting your attacker dead?
If you're not willing to kill someone if it comes down to it, why are you even carrying a gun? It's pure negligence.
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 0#p3875380
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 7#p3875997

Read the thread. I already addressed this.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

General Zod wrote:
The laws notion that you can only use guns when intending to use deadly force appears flawed to me.
If you're not willing to follow through the gun can be taken from you and used against you or someone else. It becomes a massive liability if your attacker calls your bluff.

Exhibit A.
I think the risk is justified as demonstrated by a whole bunch of police forces and civilian self defence laws around the world.
It´s the absoluteness the law argues. It argues as if 0 percent of all situations could benefit from a gun used in a less than deadly manner and I think that is just black and white thinking.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Thanas wrote:
PKRudeBoy wrote:The problem is the fact that those warning shots still go somewhere. If you shoot into the ground, there's less risk, but it could still ricochet. If you shoot into the air, that bullet could end up hitting a kid half a mile away.
Not this "warning shots are so dangerous" nonsense again. This danger is vastly overestimated.
Well, it's dangerous enough that reckless discharge of a firearm under normal conditions is and should be illegal- but self defense should be at least as good a defense against that as it would be against charges of assault or manslaughter.

I mean, the odds of shooting with every intention of killing your target and missing, and thus having the bullet go "somewhere" and maybe kill someone, are rather high. So clearly, from a consequential viewpoint, shooting to miss on purpose can't be worse than shooting and missing by accident.
Here we go again with you conveniently forgetting that we have discussed this several times in the past. Over here warning shots are perfectly legal and have been since the birth of the nation.

Nobody ever got killed with them. :roll:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Uh... Thanas?

I think you missed a subtlety there.

I am responding to you, not disagreeing with you.

Randomly discharging firearms in a populated area IS dangerous and, I assume, illegal in Germany as well as the US. I don't think anyone in their right mind would think it should be legal to, say, fire "warning shots" at a random person who happens to be standing on your front lawn not threatening anyone. Especially the people across the street from you.

However, as I explicitly said, it's common sense that if you are in fear of your life, you are justified in shooting in the general direction of your target if you're justified in shooting at all. Clearly, as a minimum bare point of logic, you should not be liable for more punishment if you deliberately missed the attacker than if you had fired with intent to kill and missed anyway.

That is a minimum. If you disagree with that I am flabbergasted.

Beyond that point, I can think of a vast array of circumstances under which warning shots are justified, and if you read my posts you'll find that I have been coming out in defense of them throughout this thread. But at a bare minimum, no one should get years in prison for firing a warning shot when they wouldn't get years in prison for trying to kill someone and missing.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:Uh... Thanas?

I missed nothing. You are the one who apparently doesn't remember a thing of the past discussions.

Randomly discharging firearms in a populated area IS dangerous and, I assume, illegal in Germany as well as the US.
No, warning shots are quite okay over here even in populated areas. And nobody got ever killed by one either in Germany.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

General Zod wrote: Maybe they don't need to charge them. Maybe they just decide to shoot first because what have they got to lose?
What?
General Zod wrote: Not gun ownership, gun carrying. There's plenty of other options available if you're not willing to follow through on killing someone and it doesn't really make you any safer.
Is the distinction really important for the purposes of the question I asked?

My only point is that your supposition is true IF AND ONLY IF the majority of cases in which a warning shot is fired FAILS to end the confrontation/danger/whatever you want to call it. If you are presupposing that firing a gun without the intent to kill is negligent (as you have done), you must also be presupposing that warning shots are inherently ineffective. I don't know one way or the other; I want numbers (if they are even available) or some evidence that warning shots are really so ineffective.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Thanas wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Uh... Thanas?

I missed nothing. You are the one who apparently doesn't remember a thing of the past discussions.

Randomly discharging firearms in a populated area IS dangerous and, I assume, illegal in Germany as well as the US.
No, warning shots are quite okay over here even in populated areas. And nobody got ever killed by one either in Germany.

No Thanas. You are not reading what he is actually saying. He is referring to Civilian Warning Shots.

He is saying that while randomly discharging a firearm for no reason, or taking potshots at people who are not threatening is and should be illegal (because there is a risk of hitting someone else), the necessity of self defense ought indemnify someone from shooting at people who are threatening their own lives, and this applies equally to intentionally hitting AND intentionally missing the attacker.

He uses three lines of reasoning (note: I am not attempting to create valid syllogisms here. I could, but why go through the effort? I trust you will understand my meaning)

1) It is a criminal act to kill someone. The necessity of self defense justifies the killing of the attacker. Thus, provided it can reasonably lead to successful self defense against a potentially lethal attacker, actions that would otherwise be criminal are justified in the case of self defense, up to and including homicide.

Discharging a firearm in an unsafe manner (shooting to miss, warning shots etc) is generally a criminal offense. However, doing so can reasonably lead to successful self defense, and doing so is far less severe than murder. Ergo, firing warning shots is or should be a legitimate form of self defense and ought not be prosecuted.

2) Most bullets fired by civilians in self defense miss their original targets. Shooting at someone with the intent to kill them is legitimate and legally justified self defense, even if most bullets miss. Therefore, the risk (whatever that risk actually is. Logically it does not matter what it is) of hitting unintended targets is justified by the necessity of self defense, all on its own, in addition to justifying actually killing someone. So clearly, if someone shoots to miss rather than shoots to kill, this should be covered under Self Defense, because the harm they do is definitionally less than had they actually killed someone intentionally in their Self Defense.

3) Someone who fires warning shots is clearly unwilling to kill someone and is desperately attempting to de-escalate the situation and thus preserve life. As the law currently stands in the US, this is taken as evidence that they did not need to use lethal force, rather than as evidence of peaceful good and life preserving intention, and people who do this are prosecuted. This is Fucking Insane, because it sets up homicide or retreat as the binary means of self defense. Resultant from this, many innocent people are imprisoned or dead. Therefore, we should allow warning shots.

At No Point did Simon disagree with you. Generally, when someone says that they do not disagree with you, and that you misread something they said to mean the opposite of what you think they said, you should go back and re-read, rather than assume they are trying to gaslight you.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sorry, maybe I am just getting too fed up with people who think warning shots are something fired randomly or dangerous. My apologies.
------------
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Alyrium has correctly represented my position. Thank you, Alyrium.

Thanas, apology accepted, no problem. I'm sympathetic to getting fed up with people who hold random idiotic opinions. I run into them at work a LOT. Although I do find it a bit frustrating when people attribute such opinions to me without fully taking time to assimilate my statements and arguments. I'm sure you understand.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: No Thanas. You are not reading what he is actually saying. He is referring to Civilian Warning Shots.
German self defense law explicitly allows (and implicitly demands, by direct interpretation of the rule that the least damaging method of self defense has to be used, if possible) warning shots.

The recommended methods (as advancing steps of escalation) of civil defense with a firearm are as follows:

1) Threatening to shoot
2) Warning shot
3) Shooting to wound - at a "less lethal" area (arm/leg)
4) Shoot to kill - at torso/head

You are free to use any/all of these steps, if it is necessary. You are not bound to do all of them - you allowed to proceed immediately to step 4 if the situation (reasonably) calls for it - like when the person you are defending against has a gun, too.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

LaCroix wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: No Thanas. You are not reading what he is actually saying. He is referring to Civilian Warning Shots.
German self defense law explicitly allows (and implicitly demands, by direct interpretation of the rule that the least damaging method of self defense has to be used, if possible) warning shots.

The recommended methods (as advancing steps of escalation) of civil defense with a firearm are as follows:

1) Threatening to shoot
2) Warning shot

You are free to use any/all of these steps, if it is necessary. You are not bound to do all of them - you allowed to proceed immediately to step 4 if the situation (reasonably) calls for it - like when the person you are defending against has a gun, too.
Sure. But german self-defense law is also sane. On the other side of the pond... Oh Dear. Here, our system of law and precedent has created a situation where if a gun gets pulled, you damn well better at least put the person in the hospital (unless the situation de-escalates immediately after a gun comes out), because if you dont it is taken as proof that you did not need to use lethal force and ergo did not need to threaten lethal force, and ergo committed felony assault.

At least for black people. White people often get more leniency.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
LaCroix wrote:

1) Threatening to shoot
2) Warning shot

Sure. But german self-defense law is also sane. On the other side of the pond... Oh Dear. Here, our system of law and precedent has created a situation where if a gun gets pulled, you damn well better at least put the person in the hospital (unless the situation de-escalates immediately after a gun comes out), because if you dont it is taken as proof that you did not need to use lethal force and ergo did not need to threate n lethal force, and ergo committed felony assault.

At least for black people. White people often get more leniency.
Yeah, it's excactly the opposite around here.

If you shoot someone, and haven't at least verbally threatened to shoot, and/or given a warning shot, you are under greater pressure to justify a wounding or killing, since you never tried a last-ditch deescalation. Not that you would get in big trouble, because law states you do not have to accept any chance of harm in a real self-defense situation, but shooting without warning is frowned upon as excessive.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.