The first female Marines ever to complete infantry training

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Slacker
Jedi Knight

Re: The first female Marines ever to complete infantry train

Post by Slacker »

Zwinmar wrote: Don't get me wrong, a static and/or guerrilla defense is demanding but certainly not in the same way that we had to move. Not to mention, we did this is hot, humid weather including out in the Mojave desert where as, unless I'm mistaken, Stalingrad took place during cooler months.
My wife's now 80-something year old grandmother, who as a teenager dragged wounded soldiers off the battlefield while SMGing Damn Nazis in the bitter Ukrainian winter, first as a partisan and then with a scout unit attached to the Red Army, might have a counter-argument handy somewhere. I mean, let's be real here-just because their hell was different from your hell doesn't mean your hell is hardercore. You're not an inherently better soldier than a Roman Legionnaire because your training practices are different. Seriously.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Can we really use the examples of people forced into extraordinary circumstances in one of the world's most brutal modern wars to justify standards one way or another for average soldiers in a nation not undergoing existential military crisis?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Beowulf wrote:The question isn't whether females could fight in Stalingrad. The question is whether the average female could fight in Stalingrad. We know some were successful at combat. We don't know how many female soldiers there were that simply couldn't hack it. And above that, how many female soldiers did hack it for that period, but were destroyed by the experience (health problems severe enough that they weren't able to be productive members of society afterward). And of course, how those numbers compare to male soldiers.
Since when is this about the "average female"?
These candidates are a self selecting pool of volunteers. Nobody's getting conscripted here.