Syria loading Sarin into bombs for deployment

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: Syria loading Sarin into bombs for deployment

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Formless wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Formless wrote: Why would they do it artificially? What makes people think that it is desirable in a bioweapon for it to be so infective and indiscriminate that the people releasing it cannot keep it from infecting friendly populations? Certainly no terrorist would use it, as the goals of terrorism are to promote an ideology or further a political cause.
Or because they think their god wants them to. If anything, we've been saved by the fact that religious fanatics are almost never found in the biological sciences; they've got plenty of engineers (thus all those terrorist bombs), but few if any biologists.
Man, I really hate this one. Even suicide cults keep the killing within the cult.
Nonsense; violent cults have never had any particular concern about killing outsiders.
mr friendly guy wrote: Unless I am misreading him, he implied religious fundies CHOOSE NOT TO learn biological science, rather than people have been actively denying them the opportunity to learn biological science.
Exactly. You don't find many religious people in the life sciences, much less religious fanatics.
Formless wrote: My beef is the idea religious fanatics (and lets face it, every time this line is used they're talking about muslims) are omnicidal, and the implication is that teaching them things they could be dangerous is a bad thing. Of course, education is what they need to break out of their beliefs, so its a sentiment that helps no one. I don't know any religion whose followers are that insane * , but of course its something the more cynical of atheists can say and reasonably hope no one notices they are spouting hateful bullshit. So I'm calling it out as hateful bullshit.
More nonsense. Christians are if anything more likely than Muslims, since it's the Christians who collectively have a desire for the end of the world and have been pushing for just that for a long time. Guys like Jerry Falwell actively wanted a nuclear war during the Cold War, and tried to convince Reagan to kick one off. There are thousands, maybe millions of Christians in America whom I'm sure would cheerfully release some Apocalypse-virus if they had access to one, completely certain that they and their particular sect will all get Raptured into Heaven if they can just kick off the End Times.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

If you honestly believe that your average Christian looks forward to the apocalypse, you are too stupid for words. I guess dehumanization really isn't that hard, is it?

BTW, I specified suicide cults, not dangerous cults. And I'm frankly unable to think of one dangerous cult that was actually omnicidal. Hell, even Aum Shinrykio thought it was going to take over the world after WWIII.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

It's not the average. It's the one exception who goes apocalyptically loony that we're worried about. It's not about preventing anyone from doing anything, it's boy isn't it fortunate that the really off the wall members of this group that occasionally comes out with apocalyptic rhetoric tend to steer themselves away from the study that'd let them do this sort of thing. Is it dehumanization to take people at their word? Because there is a very small minority that does say stuff like that like Falwell.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Formless wrote:If you honestly believe that your average Christian looks forward to the apocalypse, you are too stupid for words. I guess dehumanization really isn't that hard, is it?
Formless, shut the fuck up. That's not even close to what he's saying and you damned well know it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Flagg wrote:
Formless wrote:If you honestly believe that your average Christian looks forward to the apocalypse, you are too stupid for words. I guess dehumanization really isn't that hard, is it?
Formless, shut the fuck up. That's not even close to what he's saying and you damned well know it.
Correct. "Thousands, maybe millions of Christians in America" is a lot of people; but it's a tiny fraction of the entire American Christian population. The fringe of the fringe. Certainly not the "average Christian", unless 90-95% or so of the Christian population suddenly vanished or converted when I wasn't looking.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Hey Formless, here is a book written by an actual researcher on Bioterror, it's can be bought for a few dollars and it comes with Stuart Slade's personal recommendation. It's scary reading and it certainly refutes many of the claims you made earlier in this thread.
http://www.amazon.com/Biohazard-Chillin ... terror+ken

For those interested in how competent Bioterror-attack might be executed in practice, Greg Egan has written an excellent short story on the subject which is available free online called The Moral Virologist. It's science fiction but certainly not far from reality.
Inspired by the AIDS epidemic, a fundamentalist Christian devotes his life to the creation of virus that will kill those he views as sexually immoral.
http://eidolon.net/?story=The%20Moral%20Virologist
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Flagg wrote: Formless, shut the fuck up. That's not even close to what he's saying and you damned well know it.

Um ... that's EXACTLY what Lord of the Abyss said ...

"Christians are if anything more likely than Muslims, since it's the Christians who collectively have a desire for the end of the world and have been pushing for just that for a long time." (emphasis mine)

If that isn't what he was trying to imply, the problem lays with Lord of the Abyss being terrible at communication, not Formless for actually taking a literal reading of the words he wrote.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

cosmicalstorm wrote:Hey Formless, here is a book written by an actual researcher on Bioterror, it's can be bought for a few dollars and it comes with Stuart Slade's personal recommendation. It's scary reading and it certainly refutes many of the claims you made earlier in this thread.

For those interested in how competent Bioterror-attack might be executed in practice, Greg Egan has written an excellent short story on the subject which is available free online called The Moral Virologist. It's science fiction but certainly not far from reality.
Inspired by the AIDS epidemic, a fundamentalist Christian devotes his life to the creation of virus that will kill those he views as sexually immoral.
First of all, for all his technical expertise Stuart Slade is a neocon fucktard who I wouldn't pay to give me a blowjob. Sorry, but putting his stamp of approval on the book isn't exactly selling it to me. Just FYI.

Also, care to name which claims you think it refutes? Because so far, basically everything I've written is based on things you too can find in the public domain thanks in part to the fact that diseases are a matter of public health, and to the US government declassifying much of their biowarfare program (the parts that they didn't burn, that is).

But anyway, there is a difference between "killing one group of people I hate" and "starting the motherfucking Apocalypse". That much should not be hard to understand.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Flagg wrote: Formless, shut the fuck up. That's not even close to what he's saying and you damned well know it.

"Christians are if anything more likely than Muslims, since it's the Christians who collectively have a desire for the end of the world and have been pushing for just that for a long time." (emphasis mine)

If that isn't what he was trying to imply, the problem lays with Lord of the Abyss being terrible at communication, not Formless for actually taking a literal reading of the words he wrote.
Heh. I was about to post that too, but you beat me to it. :)

Its also amazingly ignorant of the religion's history and belief system. For starters, the Catholic Church, which is not only he single biggest but most historically influential christian sect hands down, doesn't believe in the Rapture (because seriously, its not there in the Bible), and specifically has the belief that "none know the hour or the day" of Judgement.
xthetenth wrote:It's not the average. It's the one exception who goes apocalyptically loony that we're worried about. It's not about preventing anyone from doing anything, it's boy isn't it fortunate that the really off the wall members of this group that occasionally comes out with apocalyptic rhetoric tend to steer themselves away from the study that'd let them do this sort of thing.
Manufacturing a weapon takes more than just a handful of wackjobs with a laboratory. At best, a small scale operation can achieve something like the Tokyo subway attack, maybe scale it up if we assume a more competent group of attackers. That's not the end of the world, as Aum discovered. And as I've said already, if you want access to something like the Spanish Flu you need access to things most institutions keep under lock and key precisely because its so dangerous.

Fearing these things is either a product of insanely unreasonable paranoia, or a belief that a sizable group with some small power is actually able to do something harmful.
Is it dehumanization to take people at their word? Because there is a very small minority that does say stuff like that like Falwell.
Very small. And I think smaller still actually believe what they are saying, or would follow through if they had their hands on the Football and could just nuke anyone and everyone they felt like. There are major social pressures at work that keep people from shooting up a mall, let alone blowing up the world. It is true that people can be broken down and convinced to do these things, but I think few people are aware just how much effort it takes to do that.

Also, there is the original statement which everyone has backpedaled from. Go ahead and read it yourself, without mr friendly guy's commentary. What does it say about how we should treat fundies? Is that attitude right? I still don't think so. But everyone has ignored it because apparently I think Fundies are denied education (hint: no).[/quote]
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:

Really? Lord of the Abyss dehumanized Christians and suggested "your average Christian looks forward to the apocalypse"? Where? You get to shut the fuck up, too.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

What part of "desire for the end of the world" do you not understand, Flagg?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Formless wrote:What part of "desire for the end of the world" do you not understand, Flagg?
Where did Lord of the Abyss say that the average Christian wants to bring about the end of the world, retard? Point it out.

And guess what, he's right, 100% in what he's saying, in that there are a large number of Christians in America alone that actively look forward to the end of the world. rapture ready forums abound. During the turn of the millenium Israel security had to pick up protection of the Dome of the Rock due to fears that christian fundamentalists would try and destroy it to bring about the rebuilding of the Jewish temple and thus... The end of the world.

How many Muslims look to bring about some scriptural end times scenario?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Flagg, Emphasis mine wrote:Where did Lord of the Abyss say that the average Christian wants to bring about the end of the world, retard? Point it out.
Point out where I said he did, asshole.

Stop strawmanning, and take your own advice. I believe it was "Shut the fuck up"?

Edit: P.S. incidentally, haven't you said in the past that you hate it when people use the word "retard" as an insult? Just thought I'd point that out.
Last edited by Formless on 2012-12-07 02:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I didn't strawman shit, you little liar. What, did you think I couldn't go and quote your own post on this very page back to you? :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Seriousely, you're splitting hairs now? I'll even take that bait: What is untrue about what he said? And how many Muslims do the same?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

...AND? Are you deliberately trying to look illiterate? Or do you not understand the distinction between looking forward to the apocalypse (a belief which can enable apocalypse seekers) and trying to provoke the apocalypse?

This isn't splitting hairs, this is you getting a hair up your ass about nothing.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I'd like to point out that the Rapture is based on scripture. Specifically, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17:
13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.
It's not much, but there it is.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Formless wrote:...

...AND? Are you deliberately trying to look illiterate? Or do you not understand the distinction between looking forward to the apocalypse (a belief which can enable apocalypse seekers) and trying to provoke the apocalypse?

This isn't splitting hairs, this is you getting a hair up your ass about nothing.
No, it's you splitting hairs. Because you're claiming that Lord of the Abyss 1) Said something that he clearly didn't and 2) Don't seem to realize that there are even more Christians looking forward to the "end times" than there are trying to bring it about. So really, shut the fuck up.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Formless wrote: Edit: P.S. incidentally, haven't you said in the past that you hate it when people use the word "retard" as an insult? Just thought I'd point that out.
No you moron, that was Los. I was the guy arguing the opposite. Nice try at a vendetta, though.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Flagg, what does it take to get you to admit that you have either grossly misread or misrepresented a basic English sentence? And at what point am I forced to believe that you are a liar about what you read?
Flagg wrote:
Formless wrote: Edit: P.S. incidentally, haven't you said in the past that you hate it when people use the word "retard" as an insult? Just thought I'd point that out.
No you moron, that was Los. I was the guy arguing the opposite. Nice try at a vendetta, though.
Okay, sorry. No vendetta intended, merely curiosity.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Formless wrote:Flagg, what does it take to get you to admit that you have either grossly misread or misrepresented a basic English sentence? And at what point am I forced to believe that you are
And now you're trolling.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Formless wrote:
cosmicalstorm wrote:Hey Formless, here is a book written by an actual researcher on Bioterror, it's can be bought for a few dollars and it comes with Stuart Slade's personal recommendation. It's scary reading and it certainly refutes many of the claims you made earlier in this thread.

First of all, for all his technical expertise Stuart Slade is a neocon fucktard who I wouldn't pay to give me a blowjob. Sorry, but putting his stamp of approval on the book isn't exactly selling it to me. Just FYI.

Also, care to name which claims you think it refutes? Because so far, basically everything I've written is based on things you too can find in the public domain thanks in part to the fact that diseases are a matter of public health, and to the US government declassifying much of their biowarfare program (the parts that they didn't burn, that is).

But anyway, there is a difference between "killing one group of people I hate" and "starting the motherfucking Apocalypse". That much should not be hard to understand.
He still has great technical expertise and that's exactly the subject. In short that book clearly explains that it would be perfectly possible for a small group of dedicated researchers to create disease that could kill millions, possibly billions. And that was possible back in the 70's. Bio-science hasn't exactly become harder since that time. You started out this debate with the following claim
In reality, nothing is as brutal or indiscriminate as a nuclear bomb, and many bioweapons are essentially vat grown chemical weapons (eg. botulism toxin, ricin, etc.). Others are designed to incapacitate, but not kill (because sick soldiers don't fight and take up room in the hospital). Getting them to spread person to person zombie-plague style is actually very hard, despite media portrayals, and its as easy to stop as to create a proper quarantine. If I had the choice between having anthrax spores dropped on my house and having sarin dropped on it, I would take the Anthrax any day. With anthrax I at least don't have to worry about skin exposure.

Point is, there are a shitload of potential bioweapons out there, most of which are no more scary than chemical weapons (and many are less scary). Saying that they are as a whole more indiscriminate than goddamn nuclear bombs is just media scaremongering at work.
This stupid claim has now been thoroughly disproved by several posters. Have a nice day :D
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Flagg wrote:
Formless wrote:Flagg, what does it take to get you to admit that you have either grossly misread or misrepresented a basic English sentence? And at what point am I forced to believe that you are
And now you're trolling.
And now you are right back to substance-less one liners. Someone remind me why I bothered responding to you in the first place?
cosmicalstorm wrote:This stupid claim has now been thoroughly disproved by several posters. Have a nice day :D
Thanks for not showing any work, facts, analysis, or arguments whatsoever.

And no, I'm still not buying your damn book. You can stop with the salesmanship. You're terrible at it.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

I understand that you would prefer to continue trying to steer the discussion in some other direction. But the claim you made is all wrong. You could devastate countries, possibly the world with Biological Warfare, this fact was firmly established before I was born.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

1) "True, I never said bioweapons are harmless or shouldn't be classified as WMDs."

2) Repeating a claim does not make it so. Actually, that's being generous. I made several claims in that and later posts. So far you haven't even clarified what you are contesting.