Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

Post by Alyeska »

HMS Conqueror wrote:Biological sex is in fact an objective attribute, not a social construct
XY Females and chimera born individuals disagree. There are more than 2 genders.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Also, looking at the photos, I don't think anyone is going to be forced to find her attractive. She's quite pretty, though I'm not a fan of her nose. If someone is 'forced', it just means they're going 'ew a tranny not hot not hot its the shows fault she's hot not mine'.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

Serafina wrote:
HMS Conqueror wrote:Yep. People do not have a right to force others to be sexually attracted to them (or pretend to at least), even if they believe that is minimum standard for them to be treated humanely.
How the hell is participating in a beauty pageant "forcing others to be attracted to her"?

Black people also don't have the right to "force racists to be attracted to them". Should we therefore ban then from beauty pageants?
"We" shouldn't ban anything; organisers of pageants should be free to set entry criteria, and there are in fact black-only beauty pageants.
HMS Conqueror wrote:That is an opinion, not a fact, and one most people disagree with.
Really now. Tell me then, what are the differences between a ciswoman and a transitioned transwoman?
One used to be a man.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

And that matters how, outside of reproduction and certain medical conditions?
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

So how is asking for an equal chance to be considered "forcing people to be attracted to trans women?" Answer me right the fuck now.

So sure they can make it a beauty pageant for cisgendered women only, but I also have the right to call them out as being transphobic fuckheads.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Which thing is "Her Majesty's Ship Conqueror" looking at?

The objective facts- there's genetics, but people can argue with him about whether the genetics should matter, objectively. Saying "the genes matter because they matter, dammit!" is a pretty crazy argument all by itself- tautological at best.

The subjective facts... he's actually on firmer ground there, in that the argument might be unethical/bigoted/whatever but at least it isn't crazy. There, he's referring to something that is not only true but that the pageant operator doesn't have to be insane to care about- the large fraction of its audience they'd alienate by having transsexual contestants. Since it's actually true that they would run into problems because of that, at least it's not a stupid argument for him to advance. The problem is that he then smacks into an ethical wall: is it ethical to make a decision that enforces a prejudice because other people are prejudiced?

For example, would it be ethical to refuse to issue a home loan to a minority because other people in the neighborhood would object, or be unwilling to buy houses in the neighborhood? I would say "no."

So which is Conqueror trying to argue here?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

HMS Conqueror wrote:
Serafina wrote:
HMS Conqueror wrote:That is an opinion, not a fact, and one most people disagree with.
Really now. Tell me then, what are the differences between a ciswoman and a transitioned transwoman?
One used to be a man.
So, when asked for the difference between a transsexual woman and a cissexual woman, your answer is "one is transsexual". Brilliant :roll: . How exactly is that NOT discrimination against transsexual women?

As for beauty pageants only for black women, or any other specific group: They are blatantly advertised as such and they are INCLUSIVE for one specific group rather than EXCLUSIVE for one specific group. They are still discriminating, but it's positive discrimination instead of negative discrimination.
So the black beauty pageant only allows one specific group amongst many. The contest in question bans one minority without restricting the majority in any way.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

There are also Tran-sexual beauty pageants, though I only heard of them in south east asia.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Serafina wrote:As for beauty pageants only for black women, or any other specific group: They are blatantly advertised as such and they are INCLUSIVE for one specific group rather than EXCLUSIVE for one specific group. They are still discriminating, but it's positive discrimination instead of negative discrimination.
So the black beauty pageant only allows one specific group amongst many. The contest in question bans one minority without restricting the majority in any way.
That is an extremely bad argument to make no matter how you feel about the tournament in itself - if the tournament defined itself as cis-women only then it would be inclusive for one specific group as well.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Just a few points:

1) cosmetical surgery etc is allowed. Hormone treatment as well.
2) the rules are not set up by the canadian org but rather the international org owned by Trump, so its his rules. (Yes he has changed them since his takeover).
3) the rules seems to be not published online, rather you get a subset of them when you file for participation
4) the question regarding gender was not as clear as it could be so a transgendered could easily be misled into answering female into a slot which is meant to exclude them.
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

I'm having trouble imagining a more conservative institution than a Miss Universe pageant.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

tim31 wrote:Everyone remember when Miriam Rivera was the subject of a tv show in which they basically allowed men to become sexually and possibly emotionally attracted to her before she revealed to them that she was pre-op? And that the men involved sued the producers for being publically humiliated? That was only nine years ago. Attitudes aren't changing fast enough. Hell, it's been said on here that transpersons are the poor cousins in the the LGBT hierachy. If they can't get unanimous support from that base...
I watched parts of that show despite myself. Didn't they bill the show as Miriam has a big secret, ie she is a man (the words from the commercial). For that to be true I supposed it would depend on how much surgery she actually had prior to appearing on the show. However based on that advert it was clear the contestants were set up so the audience could have a big laugh when they reveal, I am a transexual ho hum ho hum. I can understand why they would feel humiliated and they were duly compensated.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Simon_Jester wrote:There, he's referring to something that is not only true but that the pageant operator doesn't have to be insane to care about- the large fraction of its audience they'd alienate by having transsexual contestants. Since it's actually true that they would run into problems because of that, at least it's not a stupid argument for him to advance. The problem is that he then smacks into an ethical wall: is it ethical to make a decision that enforces a prejudice because other people are prejudiced?
It is not ethical nor fair, but it may be mercenary if you think of yourself as a business and not a front for social change. If either a number of the participant countries or their viewers object due to sexual or social prejudices, the organizers may lose money. The prejudices of the organizers or even lack thereof become irrelevant if a contestant isn't considered to be marketable as a sex object.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Lagmonster wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:There, he's referring to something that is not only true but that the pageant operator doesn't have to be insane to care about- the large fraction of its audience they'd alienate by having transsexual contestants. Since it's actually true that they would run into problems because of that, at least it's not a stupid argument for him to advance. The problem is that he then smacks into an ethical wall: is it ethical to make a decision that enforces a prejudice because other people are prejudiced?
It is not ethical nor fair, but it may be mercenary if you think of yourself as a business and not a front for social change. If either a number of the participant countries or their viewers object due to sexual or social prejudices, the organizers may lose money. The prejudices of the organizers or even lack thereof become irrelevant if a contestant isn't considered to be marketable as a sex object.
But isn't the point to get ratings? I can't see any better way than to let her compete and "leak" her history to the press or somesuch. In my view, just disqualifying her is a missed business opportunity.
There are hardly any out there who wants to see the event that wouldn't because of such a controversy, instead it would cater to an extra audience not normally reached by this type of event.
By letting her compete but then giving her a bad score in the evaluations would work wonders for ratings + catering to the conservative audience/values of birther Trump.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I think you're under-estimating the backlash there would have been. They would have faced boycotts from what's probably their core audience, and I don't think that an one time ratings boost would be worth that from their perspective.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

I don't think so. Conservatives everywhere love the doublestandard of preaching against what they themselves do later on.
Fox TV has several times catered specifically to this with more nudity while schreeching vs the very same thing in editorial positions. It's not new.

So I believe that the effective choices of several so called conservative networks shows that this is something which would create business, even given a conservative audience.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

HMS Conqueror wrote:The problem in this case is not ignorance, but lack thereof. It's ridiculous to try to dictate to people what they should find attractive for political reasons.
If Joe Q. Public can't even tell that an individual is transgendered by appearance alone and would find them attractive without that knowledge - but would overturn that opinion upon learning the truth - then their opinion is utterly idiotic and need not be considered. No one is forced into anything in that scenario.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Bright wrote:If Joe Q. Public can't even tell that an individual is transgendered by appearance alone and would find them attractive without that knowledge - but would overturn that opinion upon learning the truth - then their opinion is utterly idiotic and need not be considered. No one is forced into anything in that scenario.
I don't really disagree that what's happened here is wrong, but I don't like your logic here.

I mean, would you consider it a bad thing if I decided I wasn't into a girl who was totally cool except that she wanted me to pretend I was raping her whenever we had sex? I'd know it was consensual, but I'd still feel uncomfortable doing it. Illogical, right?

*I get that its a sensitive issue and these people get a lot of undeserved flak, so if you misconstrue that as some sort of negative comment about transexuality, well, I didn't mean it that way.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Ryan Thunder wrote:I mean, would you consider it a bad thing if I decided I wasn't into a girl who was totally cool except that she wanted me to pretend I was raping her whenever we had sex? I'd know it was consensual, but I'd still feel uncomfortable doing it. Illogical, right?

*I get that its a sensitive issue and these people get a lot of undeserved flak, so if you misconstrue that as some sort of negative comment about transexuality, well, I didn't mean it that way.
Well, that' throw up the question why a transwoman would make you "feel uncomfortable".
Not to mention that no one demands that you have a personal relationship with the person wanting to participate in this contest, so your example is totally not applicable.

Also, get this:
It' not a womans responsibility if you are attracted to her, and if that makes you uncomfortable. That's YOUR responsibility, and you can't demand that she changes/disappears due to it. Regardless of whether it's because that woman is black, trans* or you have a religious problem with being attracted to women, you don't get to dictate other peoples behavior because of your own feelings.

So yes, Brights logic is perfectly sound.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Serafina wrote:Well, that' throw up the question why a transwoman would make you "feel uncomfortable".
It's subjective. You wouldn't ask a man to objectively explain a preference for redheads, would you?
It' not a womans responsibility if you are attracted to her, and if that makes you uncomfortable. That's YOUR responsibility, and you can't demand that she changes/disappears due to it. Regardless of whether it's because that woman is black, trans* or you have a religious problem with being attracted to women, you don't get to dictate other peoples behavior because of your own feelings.
Of course not. I agree. That's not the point. The point is that I can be attracted or unattracted to whomever I bloody well please, and logic rarely has a place in that, much to my detriment and that of others.

Which means that if a lot of men are unattracted to a transwoman (yes, even if they decide that after they get to know her thinking she's not a transwoman), that's their prerogative and their opinion is still valid.

None of this means she shouldn't be allowed to compete or win.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Backpedal engaged! Guess they got enough bad press to fear loosing money over this.
Transgender beauty queen allowed to compete in Miss Universe Canada
By msnbc.com staff
April 2, 2012, 10:17 pm
MSN.com

The Miss Universe Organization will allow Jenna Talackova to compete in the 2012 Miss Universe Canada pageant after all, provided that she meet the legal requirements for being a woman in Canada.

The head of Miss Universe Canada kicked her out two weeks ago after discovering that she is transgender. The official said that Talackova had to have been born a female to participate.

At the time, a brief statement on the front page of the website for Beauties of Canada, the company that oversees the Miss Universe Canada pageant, stated that Talackova had been removed from the competition “because she did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form.”

Handout via modelmayhem.com

Jenna Talackova may be allowed to compete in Miss Universe Canada after all. She started hormone therapy at age 14 and underwent surgery at 19.

Talackova then tweeted that she was “disqualified for being born.”

Miss Universe Canada organizers boot transgender contestant

Proving one's gender varies by province in Canada, according to the Vancouver Sun, and may require medical documents.

In 2010, when she was 19, Talackova competed in Miss International Queen, a competition for transgender and transsexual people. In an interview posted on YouTube, she said she knew she was a girl at age 4.

Speaking with a girlish lilt, the tall blonde contestant said that she started hormone therapy at age 14 and underwent a sex change surgery at 19.

GLAAD, a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy group said the Miss Universe had taken an important first step.

The group released a statement, saying, “The Miss Universe Organization should look to state non-discrimination laws and institutions including the Olympics, NCAA and The CW's America's Next Top Model, which do not discriminate against transgender women."
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... rse-canada
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Great news!
And they didn't even have to be taken to court for it - where they probably would have lost anyway. Since you can get your birth certificate changed in Canada, you have legal documentation that says that you HAVE been born a girl.

Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

Sorry I'm late to the party, but this is a complete 'wait, what the fuck?' :wtf: moment. (It's a good thing, though.)
Bill O’Reilly Sticks Up For Transgender Miss Universe Contestant

Conservative Fox News host Bill O’Reilly seemed supportive of a transgender woman’s right to compete in the Miss Universe competition during his show on Friday. During a segment about Miss Universe’s decision to prohibit Jenna Talackova from participating in the pageant because she is trans, O’Reilly asked, “What right does the Miss Universe pageant have to violate this lady’s right to be a woman? They are basically saying because you weren’t born a woman you don’t have a right to be a woman..t doesn’t sound right to me.” The comments represent a significant evolution for O’Reilly, who in 2010 compared transgender people to Ewoks.

Source

I think we've all been sucked into bizarro land.
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I think he was being sarcastic there, dude.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

My sarcasm meter is completely broken when it comes to Falafel boy. I just can't tell anymore.
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360