Cops shoot dog, leave note

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SVPD
Jedi Master

Re: Cops shoot dog, leave note

Post by SVPD »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Are you serious? 2 fucking days of additional training just on what different kinds of dogs are like? Do you know how much additional expense that would be across all the cops that get trained in the U.S. or even in Canada? No, the answer to your maybe is "no."
I was being over-generous on the time it would require. Frankly, you can go down the list of the top 10 or so dog breeds, which make up the vast majority of dogs a cop will see, with their general temperment and how to read a dog's body language in two hours. It is not at all difficult.
2 hours would be much more realistic. Thank you.
Also: Are cops not required to do some sort of professional development courses etc in order to keep their jobs?
Not exactly. It is an obligation of the department to provide the training to the officers, not of the officers to go obtain it. The officers must be paid their normal wage or overtime. Therefore, any professional development training focusing on domestic dogs would have to be weighed against the time and money available for training, and other topics that need to be covered. Dog identification is pretty far down the list compared to other things that are far more serious (active shooter in a school or similar situation) or far more common (DUI arrest, accident reporting, subject search).
Body language is really god damn easy, and if you are in a house with children, or the dog looks well taken care of and is otherwise happily lounging around in a back yard, the chances of it being abused or ill-tempered are pretty damn low.

This sort of shit can be taught in hours. There is no excuse for not doing it.
As a matter of fact there's a perfectly good excuse: It takes time and money. That doesn't mean a little bit (like 2 hours in a basic academy) can't be found to try to address it, but the fact of the matter is that avoiding offending your moral sensibilities is not very high on the list of things that need to be accomplished by law enforcement.

As for your asinine lecture on canine body language, that's totally irrelevant because A)
I've had good dogs since I was born and already know it; just because you assume other cops don't know what its like doesn't mean I don't and
B) You don't have the foggiest idea what the dog in question was actually doing, and despite your hystrionics to the contrary, even very amicable breeds may attack when the perceive an intrusion of some sort.

Particularly when the cop enters a back yard. Ascertaining dog presence and temperament is as easy as walking up to the gate and whistling before you go inside. Any dog will come to investigate. You can determine how personable they are from there.

[
Even if I accept your premise that humans are somehow special and thus the only things worthy of direct moral consideration, which I do not, the family deserves better than a fucking note.
You can not accept it all you want, but quite frankly I didn't say humans were the only things worthy of moral consideration. It doesn't really matter if you disagree because really if you expect police to work under conditions where they are expected to risk being bitten for no reason other than to avoid violating your ideas of what's morally consistent, you're smoking crack.. unless you're planning on a very large increase in police pay. Your argument is no different than lolbertarians who feel that anyone who feels their rights are threatned by an arrst is perfectly entitled to use force to defend themselves against it. It expects police to unrealisticlly accept an increase in risk to their person for no reason other than consistency with someone's philosophy.

Good luck with that. It's really easy to make claims like that when you won't be the one tking the risks, now, isn't it?
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

fajner1 wrote:It's weird how cops have their own little version of diplomatic immunity. If a civilian shoots a dog, he's screwed. If a cop shoots a dog, he's following protocol. And it's also simple logic: If there was a robbery, any dog would be barking. The dog started barking at the cop, not at the fake burglars.

Also, would this count as damage to property or animal cruelty?
Well gee, moron, if a civilian handcuffs someone and puts them in their car its kidnapping; if a cop does it its an arrest.

The dog might not have been barking at a burglar because the burglar took the simple precaution of tossing it some meat, did his buisness and already left by the time the cops show up. If it takes 5 or 6 minutes to get to a call (which is pretty good) you can easily grab some valuables and the dog can have wolfed down a sirloin.

As for damage to property, the city should compensate the people for the loss of the dog.
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

White Haven wrote:I love how 'The dog is running at me and barking' is apparently justification to open fire. News flash, if you walk into a back yard occupied by a dog, or walk near one, or drive past, or whatever, you're going to be barked at and the dog is going to run as close to you as the fence allows. It's more or less equivalent to saying 'The dog was conscious.'
Bullshit. If you walk into the back yard, there's already no fence between you and it. The fact that dogs act like dogs does not compel the police to risk being bitten in order to perform their duties.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
White Haven wrote:I love how 'The dog is running at me and barking' is apparently justification to open fire. News flash, if you walk into a back yard occupied by a dog, or walk near one, or drive past, or whatever, you're going to be barked at and the dog is going to run as close to you as the fence allows. It's more or less equivalent to saying 'The dog was conscious.'
Can you point out in the article where the threatening behavior was described as "running at me and barking"? Again, I would like an answer.
How is it more believable that a dog regularly around preschoolers being preschoolers (jumping on the dog, tugging on the dogs ears etc) and surrounded by strange people would become aggressive when someone enters the yard, than a person (cop or not) doing something they do in order to avoid being punished on a regular basis--lie--or was also something that people are on a regular basis--negligent and stupid?

For me, this is a matter of simple probability.
Then your understanding of what is and isn't probable is severely impaired. Polcie are significantly larger than preschoolers. Dogs understand the difference between children and adults. Police are unfamiliar to the dog. Finally, police carry various items on them that may give off odors unperceptible to us but which might be disturbing to the dog.

The fact of the matter is that, as KS pointed out, you don't know. You're just making assumptions based on your personal outrage.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
If a friendly and cooperative person became instantly aggressive and charged me with a knife in hand. Yeah, I'd shoot him. If it were a teethless dog, or perhaps a dog that qualifies as small then probably not. Just as I probably wouldn't shoot a child if they ran at me with a knife.
Except there is no evidence other than the cops word that this occurred, and the dogs owner would take said dog to work her... namely to a preschool. For a dog to be that good around shit loads of small children, said dog must be very very well socialized.
So what if there is no evidence other than the cops' word? You are still trying to make assumptions about its behavior in this situation based on the biased views of the homeowner on its behavior when A) said owner was present B) it was in a situation it was familiar with and C) was surrounded by small, unthreatening children.
Anyway, this is another strawman. The officer didn't shoot the dog because it might change its behavior. It shot the dog because it was acting in a threatening manner
Based on what? The hand-written scrawl of a cop who had reason to lie, or could not read a dog's body language for shit?
You will now demonstrate that this officer had a reason to lie or that he could not read the dogs body language. In the second ase, you will also demonstrate that he was A) properly trained or B) that the department had a legal obligation to provide such training and yet failed to do so.
Yeah, and what do parents say about their children who just got down shooting up their school? "Timmy was such a nice boy. I can't believe he would do that" So, you'll excuse me if I'm not as moved by the words of the owner who loved the dog as you are.
There is denial, then there is track record. Have you taken a lab around children lately? A dog taken regularly to a preschool is not a dangerous or aggressive dog by definition.

So, either that dog went insane, or the cop's note and subsequent police report are inaccurate. What do you honestly think is more likely?
False dilemma. There is no reasont he dog needs to go insane in order to attack the officer; it only needs to perceive him as a threat. That is more likely than any conjecture on your part which is based on nothing more than your outrage and desire for the dog to have acted int he way you assume. Direct testimony by the officer who was present is more powerful than probability because all it is, is probability. Unlikely probabilities do occur; this is what makes them unlikely as opposed to impossible.
Ah so you're basically admitted that the officer would need to have been bitten in order to satisfy your burden of proof in this circumstance. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what else could be done in order to satisfy those who think the police are lying everytime an situation that invokes an emotional response arises.
In this situation, without a witness or camera, yeah. It is more likely he went in with his gun drawn because it was a potential burglary, saw the dog running toward him to say hello, shot it out of reflex and then went "oh...Fuck. I am going to catch a ton of shit for this" and lied.

He does not have to be a horrible person for the first part. However I am sick and tired of reading reports of cops shooting dogs behind fences, or tied up, or dogs that outside of lightning-strike probability are being friendly and then using the Southpark Hunting Rule of saying "Oh shit, its coming right for us!"

They and their departments need to man up and take some god damn responsibility for that shit. A simple note and later, a personal apology saying "Sorry, I went in with my gun drawn because I thought your house might be being robbed, and I accidentally shot your dog" followed by a departmental reprimand would be sufficient for this case. Instead, he blames it on what is by all available evidence a dog that was more likely to pin him to the ground for doggy kisses.[/quote]
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Enigma wrote:I wonder how aggressive can an eleven year old Yellow Lab be?

For the most part I side with the law enforcement agencies but in this case and in my opinion the cop fucked up and is covering his ass.

As for the officer not knowing that labs in general are non-violent and are very sociable strikes me as very odd. I am sure he has been to many houses due to some law enforcement issue like burglary, domestic violence and so forth and yet never encountered Labs?

This wouldn't be much of an issue if the dog was a pit bull, boxer, doberman, german shepherds, etc... that got shot but instead it was a old Lab. My guess is that he was trigger happy. He was startled by the dog and immediately shot it.
Because we all know dogs come with signs saying how old they are, and burglar alarms always go off in conditions of excellent visibility?

Last week we went apple picking. There was a German Shephard at the orchard. The owners told us this dog (which was very friendly) was 10 years old. You certainly could not tell from the dog's appearance or behavior. It could as easily have been three years old.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Alphawolf55 wrote:Kamikaze seriously what does it take for you to just admit that a cop fucked up and is covering his own ass, normally I attempt to at least somewhat respect your side because you claim that you would speak against a cop that expouses too much bullshit but it seems like in this case, you're just being straight up defensive because it was a cop. If a citizen did something near the same I doubt you'd take his word for it.
Probably it takes actual evidence that they fucked up beyond people looking for a reason to be outraged and engaging in conjecture.
The fact is we have two different possible scenarios.

The dog was a friendly dog that went up to the officer, the officer was a bit jumpy,shot the dog when it didn't need to happen and to cover his fuck up basically exagerrates the risk for himself, and then because he felt uncomfortable dealing with the family he just left a note.

Or somehow this friendly dog that works with kids and has no record of violence after living for 11 years (which is like 60 in lab years) decided to go crazy one day and go against all behavior, and somehow the cop was unable to you know, leave the fucking area.

So either the cop is misleading people or the owner is. Why is it you automatically assume it's the owner.
Probably because there is anothe rpossible scenario, where the dog felt itself and/or its home threateneed and attacked. You're just creating a false dilemma.
Also stop acting like dogs somehow magically become violent whenever police officers are around. The fact is, dogs are pretty consistent in behavior. This was probably not the first time the dog saw a stranger, and yet it has no record of attacking them.It's ridiculous to believe the one time it magically gets violent it's when an officer is there (and conventienly no one else). Hell I'll even admit that there might be a point made when people say that a normally friendly dog will become violent in a swat raid because hey the officers to the dog would be attacking a member of the family but that doesn't work in this case. No one was being threatened in this case, the dog would have saw the cop as it would any other person, there's no reason to believe it'd act any different from normal in this case.

Strawman. No one said anything about magically becoming violent. Many dogs that are perfectly fine around families and children become agitated when unfamiliar people come around. Many dogs bark at the mailman angrily even after he's been copming for years.

You're just selectively picking examples of dog behavior and excluding others in order to pretend you have a point.
Also SVPD, fuck you for suggesting even 2 days of your life to learn something as simple as dog behavior is ridiculous.
I suggested that increasing all polcie academies by 2 days when multiplied by the number of officers that get trained and their hourly wge would be hugely expensive in comparison to the importance of this issue. Quit strawmanning, you dishonest little cumstain. No one said anything about "2 days out of your life". Training time is training time to the officers; they get paid regardless. It's got to do with waste of resources.
You're expected to be on the force for 20 years, work with dogs all the time,
If you're a canine officer, or work with one regularly. If not no, you do not "work with dogs all the time". Do you have the police confused with the animal cops on that TV show?
and you think officers can't take 2 fucking days to learn somethin?
No, I'm not taking 2 days of my own time to learn shit. Expecting the taxpayers to pay for 2 days of my time is ridiculous, especially for a matter that could be addressed in 2 hours.
You know what, how about you learn it for fucking free on the weekend. Plently of other jobs require people to keep up on their skills and sometimes at their own expense. You don't want to learn how not to go overboard and shoot things, don't do the job.
You will demonstrate conclusivly that the officer went overboard.

Police are contract employees. You cannot require them to train at their own expense. Police can go obtain additional training on their own time, but it cannot be required. People's non-work time is not there to be taken up by demands for free work for every little thing that catches someone's fancy or outrages people looking for a reason to be outraged.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

fajner1 wrote:
Which means the police officer should just take the risk if it comes and attacks them?
Yes, he should. He's the trespasser. I mean, I suppose that there should have been a Beware of Dog sign on the gate, but still. Any dog would bark from the moment the cop opened the gate. Anyone with a sense of logic would know that if there was a dog, then it would be constantly barking if there were burglars. And the cop knew perfectly well they had a dog before he went there.
No dumbass, he is not the tresspasser. He's there in response to his legal duties to incestigate a possible crime and arrest the criminal, if any were present. The dog may perceive him as a tresspasser but unless you're prepared to exempt the police from investigating burglaries at residences with dogs then you cannot place any blam on the officer for intruding.

Moreover, many dogs will bark, but not all. You do not know this. You are assuming and speculating. The dog was old and may not have heard very well, and thereby not heard him come in the gate.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

loomer wrote:How many dogs does this raise 2010's total to? Isn't it now something absolutely fucking crazy like 6 dogs owned by people who weren't actually breaking the law? To me, that's excessive on a level where training needs to be revised regardless of cost, especially if the officers are getting off scot free.
6 dogs in a year for a country of 300 million people is an absurdly low rate. I'd also like to know why you think whether the owner was breaking the law somehow relates to the dog's behavior. The officers are not "getting off scot free"; that is simply predjudicial language to imply they have necessarily done something wrong. Offending the sensibilities of dog lovers and people who like to be outraged at the cops is not a crime.
If I shoot a police dog snooping around my property, I'm up on murder charges. If I do it over in America, I'd be facing a felony in plenty of states, with a potential for twenty years in prison in some of them. To me, that is proof a dog is close, though not equivalent, to a person, not merely a 'family pet' as SVPD claims (incidentally, anyone who's had a long-term pet die knows that the grief can hit just as hard, or harder, than the death of a human family member. I cried more when my dog died last year than when my uncle did this year)
And a police dog would be "snooping around" your property without its handler and probably several other officers why exactly? Aside from the fact that a trained polcie dog is an expensive taxpayer asset, the fact of the matter is that if you shot that dog its quite reasonable to believe you would shoot its handler as ell.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

General Schatten wrote:
SVPD wrote:Are you serious? 2 fucking days of additional training just on what different kinds of dogs are like? Do you know how much additional expense that would be across all the cops that get trained in the U.S. or even in Canada? No, the answer to your maybe is "no."
So wait, you're against familiarizing police officers with a ubiquitous feature of modern American society? Fuck off.
You fuck off. If they're that ubiquitous (which they are) then most officers are already familiar, then the training is superfluous, and claims that this officer didn't know how to read the dog are absurd.

If it's not that ubiquitous, then 2 days is an absurd amount of resources to spend on this. 2 hours should be plenty. Of course you're just a strawmanning asshole who likes to pretend that objecting to the time and expense of 2 days of training means opposition to any and all such training.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Sela wrote:Is there a legal case here? The family clearly has damages + pain and suffering. The burden of proof is on the officer that the dog was violent/aggressive (which he cannot substantiate beyond his own word).
The burden of proof is satisfied by his statement that the dog was acting aggressively. There is no reason other than conjecture to think he is not telling the truth and no other evidence is available. It is neither legal nor ethical to demand that someone satsify a burden of proof knowing that it is inherently impossible to meet that standard regardles of the facts.
Further, the dog was (presumably) behind a fence on private property (so it's not a case of mishandling by owner).

Irrelevant, since the officer was responding to a burglary call. Moreover, since the owners had a burglar alarm and would know that false alarms were a possibility, they could assume that the police would come in contact with their dog when responding to a call.
The officer was being negligent (failing to assess the presence of a dog before entering).
You are simply guessing at this, and it is irrelevant because he had a duty to go in there regardless. What hshould he have done differently if he determiend there was a dog? Not fully investigated the burglar alarm?
The officer used lethal force where he might easily have used non-lethal force instead (had he not been negligent of the dog's presence).
No he might not have "easily" excercised nonlethal force. Burglary calls require drawn firearms because burglars are often armed. It takes time to switch weapons, and a dog, or even a human, can cover ground rapidly in that time, especially since dropping the firearm is not acceptable; it must be holstered. You are simply making pronouncements on tactical matter that you know nothing about.
Finally, even if it was an 'accident', that still leaves the not so small issue of him having damaged their property.
It was not an accident at all, except in the sense that the shooting was incidental to the reason the officer was there. He damaged their property because of a response to a burglar alarm which they had installed.
Let's turn the situation around. Say a terrorist was on the run, and hid in my empty house. In order to get at him there was a running gun-fight and I come home to find one dead terrorist and a wall of my house looking like swiss-cheese. Surely I'm entitled to compensation?
Utterly irrelevant example. The police were not their because of an alarm you installed
Here we have a cop in pursuit of a burglar (or checking a burglar alarm) and a dog is killed. If the dog is property (and he is) then why isn't the family entitled to compensation?
The family should be compensated by the city, but not because the officer did anyting wrong. They should be compensated because they were not at fault for the death of the dog either.
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
And how do they respond to being scared? How do they respond in situations where they are trapped and their fight or flight instinct is engaged? Because all this bird egg stuff is sweet and is evidence of how gentle the dog can be, but it is not applicable to a situation that could be defined as scary to the dog.
Generally? They hide under a table/bed/porch. They are the WORST guard dogs possible, perhaps with the exception of some of teacup breeds, save that it is temperament, and not size.
I had a lab when I was a kid. I was walking the dog and was threatened by kids from school that didn't like me. The dog didn't cower, it barked loudly, bared its teeth and I had to hold it back. Labs do not "generally" cower at all. They aren't good guard dogs but they are not the wilting flowers you're pretending.
How exactly, again, did the cop scare the dog that much? Did he start taking pot shots at it? There is almost no animal in the world, let alone a dog, that when scared will turn and fight if it has another option. Even african predators will retreat, or hold their ground and display. Dogs are no different. If the cop cornered the dog, then he is at fault and should have backed the fuck off rather than shoot. Your argument is self-defeating.
No, his argument is not self defeating because dogs will only back into a corner like that if they perceive a threat only to themself. You are simply cherry-picking dog behavior in order to make veiled implications the officer did this on purpose. Seeing as the family didn't complain of bullet holes anywhere nor is there any evidence he did so, you are doing nothing more than trying to score rhetorical points.

Dogs will attack people that intrude on their territory; their "den" without backing down or displaying. The dog may or may not have been scared; perceiving a threat is not the same as being scared.
In this case, you can derive motive. The person with the knife has a reason to be advancing toward the cop in a threatening manner, they generally articulate their intention to injure the police officer, and the knife is generally in the person's hand or close by. There is evidence that backs up the officer's claim.
And dogs, being pre-equipped with weapons and not using tools would never be able to provide that kind of evidence. You are using the physiology of the dog to subtly create a burden of proof that is impossible to satsify.
Now, take the opposite. A cop (not this one, but for the sake of argument) is a sadistic prick/has a really bad week and shoots a dog for no reason. You will defend that officer apparently against rather significant opposition based only on his word, a mountain full of unjustified assumptions that run counter to the known behavior of the dogs breed and the individual dog... and you will do so purely on the say so of that officer.
Except that you have no evidence whatsoever that the cop (this one or hypothetical) is a sadistic prick or had a bad week; in fact both are entirely subejctive assertions.

The officer was actually there and observed the behavior and that is more powerful evidence than general breed temperment or the dog's history in totally dissimilar situations.
No. It wont. And generally the cop would only be confronted with such an individual if said person was suspected of a crime/had gone dangerously insane/had already been dangerously insane.
Which has happened in the past.
The dog is not dangerously insane, the dog was not suspected of a crime giving the officer a reason to actually confront the dog, and the chances of the dog going insane are very very low.

The chances of a person going insane are very low; dogs cannot commit crimes, and you do not know the dog's mental state at that time. Moreover, perception of threat could cause a dog to react in a way a person would not. Finally, it is disingenuous to point out that the dog committed no crime; the police had a report of a burglar alarm and their duty to investigate did require them to confront the dog.
When the correlation between 1 set of behavior in one circumstance and its behavior in another is very very strong, we call that correlation a behavioral syndrome.

Why? Because the same physiological pathways that lead to a dog being just fine with kids, lead to them not being aggressive or defenses in other sets of conditions. Same cause, high correlation. So yes, the behavior in one set of conditions DOES mean that they will behave similarly in others.
No, it means no such thing. It means that there is a higher likelyhood they will behave similarly in other situations, and that likelyhood is in part dependant on the similarity of the siutations.
Take a look at a lab. You notice those floppy ears, big eyes... puppy features? Same fucking cause.
"Labs are cute" is not an argument.
When the two behaviors have the same physiological cause, it is not a leap. That said, I am not and have not said that the cop was certainly in the wrong. Only that the probability was amazingly small that he was not.
The behaviors are not caused exclusively by physiology; they are also caused by the circumstances. The fact is that the probability is anything but amazingly small. On the contrary, the probability is mazingly small that the circumstances were anything but as the officer describes.
You on the other hand have relied on suppositions that are counter-indicated by all available evidence in your desperate attempt to defend another cop. Admirable, but in this case misguided.
Sorry, but they are not counter-indicated by any evidence whatsoever. Conjecture about this situation based on gneeral behavior of other dogs in dissimilar situations and this dog, again in dissimilar situations.

There's nothing the least bit desperate about attempts to defend this cop. What's desperate is your attempt to find fault because this is really about your personal sensibilities being outraged.
Some kind of witness, the dog having a history of freak aggressive incidents. Anything that would give a rational person the reasonable expectation that perhaps the dog was aggressive. In this case, we have the say so of a cop that under a likely scenario has incentive to lie.
Except that the sceanrio is not likely. The likely scenario is that the dog did what he said it did. All you're doing is attempting to make the standard impossible to satisfy; the officer cannot magically conjure a witness, and why should the dog need to have a history of acting aggressively? Family pets tht normally cause no trouble are well known to become aggressive defending their "pack".

Your claim of "incentive to lie" is simply Appeal to Motive, and a motive you are assuming he has bsed on nothing but conjecture.
Do we typically allow people accused of murder to claim self defense with no additional evidence?
No, because human beings are not dogs; they can be spoken to and do not come pre-equipped with weapons. If the officer came into the back yard an encountered a person, he would give verbal commands forst; verbal commands a dog cannot understand. If the person charged him unarmed, he would use an alternate weapon. If the person charged him with a knife (the equivalent of the dog's teeth) he would shoot. That range of options is not available with dogs because dogs are not capable of communicating beyond the very rudimentary, cannot be reasoned with, are automatically armed, and are less vulenrable to less-lethal weapons.
No, you dont. You do however have to have the reasonable expectation that you will be harmed, and affirmative defenses like that require evidence. In this case, the officer's word and the dog's past behavior are all we have. Expectation of harm=not reasonable. Were a witness to come forward that would change.
You have no evidence beyond your own conjecture and your own standards that there was anything unreasonable about the expectation of harm here.

More to the point, this is not a simple case of self defense, and so requiring an affirmative defense is not necessarily applicable. Unlike a civilian who is attacked by an assailant, the officer is not merely defending himself, he is executing his official duties by being there in the first place. He does not have an option to not investigate the alarm.
I never said blood drawn=ability to act either. I said it would, in the absence of a witness, satisfy the burden of proof on the officer. It is the only thing that really can. In any self defense case the defense must show that the killer had a reasonable expectation that they would be harmed. That is just not here.
In otehr words, reasonable expectation of harm can only be satisfied by harm, unless there was a witness. Such as who, at a burglar alarm call? A second officer? Then you'd be moving the goalposts and claiming he's covering his buddy.

The officers word alone, in the absence of evidence that he is lying, satisfies the burden of proof. The burden of proof lies on those making the assertion of lying, and mere conjecture based on past behavior in dissimilar situations is not proof. It is certainly not enough proof tosatisfy a court of law.
No. I am not doing that. Logic and evidence do that for me. You are a cop. If you have a suspect who is suspected of a crime for a reasonable reason and when confronted with the evidence available has nothing to say but "Trust me, I am an X" would you simply take his word for it?
You are not using either logic or evidence and apparently do not understand either concept. Your example is utterly irrelevant; it would be as if you were trying to charge that suspect with a crime based on nothing more than his crimes in the past.
Freak incidents like that are unfortunate. I do believe it is why police have partners, cameras, etc.
Police have partners for safety and cameras in ther car primarily for the same reason. The point of those things is not so that whenever they are absent we can assume the officer is lying.
Since when did the accused say so become evidence?
He's not accused of anything. Moreover, the accused's say so is evidence jsut like anyone else's testimony. If a defendant takes the stand, you cannot disregard his testimony simply beause he is the defendant, nor even on the basis that he "has an incentive to lie" because he is on trial. That's simply presumption of guilt.
Which could more easily given all the other evidence be a lie to cover up the shame of a tragic mistake.
Not more easily at all. Again, simply your myopic assumptions because you're outraged at an animal being harmed.
When the physiology by which aggressive behavior is controlled is the same, yes, I do, and it is.
Aggressive behavior is controlled primarily by the situation, not by physiology. Football players are highly aggressive on the football field but generally not in any other situation. Physiology does not prevent them from exercising aggression based on the situation.
I can for example predict with a high degree of accuracy how many animals will react in one situation given its behavior in other, often far more disparate situations provided the mechanisms are the same. You can do the same with people. A person who is aggressive or friendly in one stressful situation is highly likely to aggressive or friendly in another stressful situation. Frankly being poked, prodded and jumped on by three year olds is MORE stressful than a guy calmly entering your yard.
You have no idea what is or isn't more stressful to the dog. The man is an unknown, he is in the "pack's" territory, and he is an adult male. The three year olds are small puppy-like creatures, familiar to the dog. You're just making up bullshit.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

This is insane.

We have two scenarios.

The cop entered the yard and an 11 year old golden labrador that is unusually amicable in temperment is in the yard. This dog is cleared to work with preschoolers, which require a dog to be well behaved above and beyond what a normal dog would be, because preschoolers are notorious for grabbing dogs in sensitive spots (ears, tails, genitals) and yanking. Somehow, against all breed standards and the fact that this particular dog must literally have no violent bones in its body due to the work it does, the dog acts violently towards the cops, justifying it being shot in self-defense.

The cop entered the yard and an 11 year old golden labrador that is unusually amicable in temperment is in the yard. The cop misinterprets the dogs behavior or is an asshole or for whatever reason shoots the dog for reasons other than self-defense. The cop then either lies about it or reports his misconception that the dog was aggressive.

The reason why this conversation is impossible is that SVPD and Kamikaze Sith are so biased in opinion that they won't even acknowledge that it is extremely unlikely that the dog that was described could possibly ever become aggressive and attack someone, even though this is a dog that has tolerated hordes of four and five year olds almost certainly grabbing its sensitive bits for years without the dog so much as snarling, even to the point that they are informing an animal biologist who specialized in behavior (an thus has an excellent idea what it takes to get a particular animal to attack) that HE is wrong here. That takes some serious balls.

The fact that the burden of proof is on the cop to demonstrate that shooting the dog was somewhow justified slips by as does the fact it is EXTREMELY unlikely that this particular dog would act in the way they insist it must have is irrelevant. Cops have done something, so they must always be right, always.

Kamikaze Sith, you often have complained that people just don't seem to trust cops and won't give cops the benefit of the doubt. This is why. Not just the news article, but yours and SVPDs response. How can ANYONE trust someone given broad authority over their other citizens when they won't even concede the POSSIBILITY that that authority can and has been abused? Here, you are so much in Blue Wall mode that you won't even concede the POSSIBILITY that the cop was lying or did something wrong, but rather are being so bold to claim that an elderly lab that is so even tempered that it is safe to work with small children must have just spontaneously went psycho one day in the face of all past behavior and its very biology. You are the answer to your own complaint, many people don't trust the police because they believe the police are more loyal to each other than the truth and any cop will cover anothers ass rather than see him punished for wrong doing and here you and SVPD, pushing forward an extremely unlikely scenario SOLELY on the basis that it protects the cop without even so much as admitting the possibility that the cop could have been wrong.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Okay, so maybe the cop misjudged the dogs behavior. That's a reasonable scenario, you can mistake an affectionate dog for one that is aggressive.
But you know what? That's still a bad thing! Because it clearly shows that that cops judgment can NOT be relied upon. To be fair, that only actually applies to his judgment regarding dogs - but it certainly won't inspire trust into cops in general. And that is a serious problem - trust is essential for good law enforcement. Behavior like this certainly doesn't inspire any - even more so since the cops did not take any actual responsibility.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Humane respect for what the proles hold dear wouldn't go amiss either. People consider their pets to be members of the family, cops investigating a potential burglary that find a pet in the back yard should probably try to weigh up what the owners would have them do in that situation; kill the dog and get inside the house as soon as possible, or risk a little slowness and lost items by leaving the dog be.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

I love how SVPD and Sith believe there has to be absolute proof that the dog wasn't violent, but there doesn't need to be proof that the dog was violent, that's such a double standard argument especially where you don't take into account past behavior

I mean what if this scenario was turned around. One day, a guy shoots a cop on duty and they're all alone. No one around. The guy claimed that the cop just went psycho one day and was going to shoot him and wasn't going to give him a chance to surrender. He shoots the cop dead, but hey it turns out this cop has been rewarded multiple times for good behavior and has never been cited as being violent. I doubt you guys would say "Well new behavior can come up around strangers"

Seriously, at this point what does it take for someone to be able to prove that a dog acted badly? This story basically shows that as long as a dog is the right size and there's witnesses, a cop can claim a dog was violent and there should be no doubt and no second questioning. At what point do you get to question a cop's claim? I mean no one is saying that he shot the dog on purpose to be a prick, merely that he made a horrible judgment call and that the situation needs to be rectified.

I mean cops are jumpy people, they always assume violence is goiNg to happen. I once had a cop yell at me and reach for his gun when I tried to pull my drivers license out when his partner asked for it. He then yelled whats in my brown bag that was clearly potato chips and why I had potato chips. Cops think everyone is just one violent act from attacking them, it's not unreasonable to believe they're paranoid enough to use violence when not needed.

Also fuck you SVPD, you totally ignored my point about dogs becoming violent.You claim that this dog might've become violent around a stranger, but the fact is ithas no history of doing so. This is not a case where you can claim the dog was protecting its family, because one the family wasnt around, and two to the dog. The officer wouldn't seem out of the ordinary.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Enigma wrote:Bullshit on acting aggressively. This is just based on personal experience but I've encountered many Labs and in every case they never acted aggressively even though I was a stranger.
While I am completely horrified by the death of this animal I am forced to call you out on your personal observation. First of all, any dog without proper training regardless of breed can become a problem. Secondly, your personal experience doesn't change the fact that there are aggressive Labradors out there that have caused serious injury.

Again, while I don't condone the death of the dog at all, your dismissal based on your own personal experience doesn't hold up. Unfortunately, my fiancee's lab was put down due to aggression issues some years ago. Part of the problem was because he was protective to a fault, which could possibly be the case if officers were responding to a call and the Lab mistook them for intruders and tried to defend his home.

Tell me how aggressive an 11 year old Lab can be?

Aggressive Labs are an exception to the rule. An old Lab that has been around a lot of children will not just go suddenly berserk when a cop shows up. Now tell me that the Lab in question wasn't trained and yet be allowed to be near a lot of children.
Isabel and her brother Matthew Hallock said Gloria had been part of the family since she was a puppy. They said she was not an aggressive dog.

"I'm a preschool teacher. This dog goes to school with me. It's around kids all the time,” said Mary Kate Hallock. “It's just a gentle giant and is eleven and a half years old also."
Do you think that the owner would be that reckless and let an untrained dog near small children? Puh-leeze.

Your experience is about one dog that went bonkers doesn't hold up either.

For me, I am basing on personal experience with encounters with many Labs\Retrievers along with knowing the temperament of the breed. Just by what is described by the owners of the dog, the cop fucked up. The 11.5 year old Lab was not Cujo wanting to rip the shit out of the cop.

The cop should have left the back yard and called animal control instead of being trigger happy.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

The cop should have left the back yard and called animal control instead of being trigger happy.
This is a very good point - if you don't know how to handle a situation, get someone who can! If you don't know that you can't handle a situation, you are an idiot - knowing what you are capable of is important after all.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

SVPD wrote:
Enigma wrote:I wonder how aggressive can an eleven year old Yellow Lab be?

For the most part I side with the law enforcement agencies but in this case and in my opinion the cop fucked up and is covering his ass.

As for the officer not knowing that labs in general are non-violent and are very sociable strikes me as very odd. I am sure he has been to many houses due to some law enforcement issue like burglary, domestic violence and so forth and yet never encountered Labs?

This wouldn't be much of an issue if the dog was a pit bull, boxer, doberman, german shepherds, etc... that got shot but instead it was a old Lab. My guess is that he was trigger happy. He was startled by the dog and immediately shot it.
Because we all know dogs come with signs saying how old they are, and burglar alarms always go off in conditions of excellent visibility?

Last week we went apple picking. There was a German Shephard at the orchard. The owners told us this dog (which was very friendly) was 10 years old. You certainly could not tell from the dog's appearance or behavior. It could as easily have been three years old.
I take the owner's description of the dog's temperament over the cop's account because it is easy to account for the dog's temperament just by going to the school and talk to the other teachers and administrators about whether the dog was gentle and mild or were there any complaints of aggressive behavior towards the children like growling or biting.

I still stand by my opinion and again, I do have a lot of respect for those in law enforcement but this story doesn't sit well and I firmly believe the officer was at fault. That is unless there is new evidence that justifies the officer's actions.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Alphawolf55 wrote:I mean cops are jumpy people, they always assume violence is goiNg to happen. I once had a cop yell at me and reach for his gun when I tried to pull my drivers license out when his partner asked for it. He then yelled whats in my brown bag that was clearly potato chips and why I had potato chips. Cops think everyone is just one violent act from attacking them, it's not unreasonable to believe they're paranoid enough to use violence when not needed.
I just love broad generalisations fueled by anecdotal evidence. They're clearly the height of reason. Your argument is unassailable, good sir, and totally flawless.

In this situation, I personally believe the officer in question was responsible, but I find it more likely that he misinterpreted the dogs intent than it being some intentionally malicious act. I've had dogs charge at me, barking and growling, and was certainly terrified on those occasions, because you can't be certain if a dog will attack or not in those situations unless you're very familiar with dogs or the dog in question. It is important to remember that people can make mistakes, yes, even police officers.

Still, the way the whole situation was handled doesn't sit well with me at all.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

WLBT
Cop shoots dog, leaves note
Posted: Oct 01, 2010 11:07 AM EDT Updated: Oct 01, 2010 3:15 PM EDT

OAKLAND, CA (NBC) - An Oakland, California family is upset after their pet dog was shot by police officers responding to a burglar alarm.

Officers say they thought the dog was a threat, but the family wonders if the officers could have used less than lethal force.

The Hallock family says they're not angry at Oakland Police for shooting their dog during a false burglar alarm call on their property, but they do question why it had to happen in the first place.

Gloria was an 11-year-old dog who had problems walking because she had arthritis in her hips.

"My dad called and asked if they had tasers, mace or pepper spray or baton. They had all those things. I just don't get why they had to reach for the gun and shoot three times," says Isabel Hallock.

Oakland police say when they arrived at the Hallock home, Gloria growled and barked at the officers and then approached them in a threatening manner.

Police say they made a split second decision and fired three times at Gloria.

One bullet hit her head.

The officers left a handwritten note on the front door of the Hallock home letting them know what had happened.

"I had to read it five or six times before I could believe it and actually it took two days for it to really sink again," Isabel says.

All the Hallock family has now are memories of Gloria captured in photos and home video.

For Isabel coming home is just not the same anymore.

"It's just weird because for the past eleven years, I've been hearing those familiar sounds that I've gotten used to them and now I'm just never going to hear them again," she says.

Officials say the officer in this case has not been placed on leave and continues to work.

Authorities have not decided if they are going to further review the case.
The dog had arthritis her hips and problems walking! The cops said that she growled and barked at the officers and approached in a threatening manner? How did the dog approach in a threatening manner? By limping? The officers was in no danger!

If I was that cop and I see a limping dog slowly coming towards me, growling and barking, I wouldn't just whip out my gun and shoot it. I'd have lots of time to take out the pepper spray and spray the dog.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

But but but... the 11 year old lab with the unusually amicable personality and hip problems COULD have gone all psycho without warning and torn their faces off (despite being absolutely non-violent in the past), thus were a clear danger to armed police officers! Thank Jesus that these brave keepers of the peace were able to stop her before she went all Kujo on them!

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Yeah, my lab is 12, has hip problems and arthritis and guess what? When he wants too, he can still haul ass over the backyard with no problem. My dog limps sometimes too. Just because the dog limped normally doesn't mean it would limp when it was going to see who was coming into it's backyard.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Yeah, sure. My fiance's parents black lab is much the same way, particularly in pursuit of a tossed ball. Now tell me, how likely is your 12 year old lab going to go into a Cerberus-esque psycho rage at someone they don't know in the backyard and thus have it be justified to shoot him?

Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Generally? They hide under a table/bed/porch. They are the WORST guard dogs possible, perhaps with the exception of some of teacup breeds, save that it is temperament, and not size.

How exactly, again, did the cop scare the dog that much? Did he start taking pot shots at it? There is almost no animal in the world, let alone a dog, that when scared will turn and fight if it has another option. Even african predators will retreat, or hold their ground and display. Dogs are no different. If the cop cornered the dog, then he is at fault and should have backed the fuck off rather than shoot. Your argument is self-defeating.
Actually, my argument had nothing to do with the cop intentionally corning and continuing to advance on the dog. I'm not sure where you got that from.

I'm simply pointing out that a situation could have occurred the caused this dog to behave aggressively. The fact that this dog was in pain makes it not as predictable.

In this case, you can derive motive. The person with the knife has a reason to be advancing toward the cop in a threatening manner, they generally articulate their intention to injure the police officer, and the knife is generally in the person's hand or close by. There is evidence that backs up the officer's claim.
I don't see the difference. In this example you're still taking the word of a police officer.
Now, take the opposite. A cop (not this one, but for the sake of argument) is a sadistic prick/has a really bad week and shoots a dog for no reason. You will defend that officer apparently against rather significant opposition based only on his word, a mountain full of unjustified assumptions that run counter to the known behavior of the dogs breed and the individual dog... and you will do so purely on the say so of that officer.
I will do so because I have no evidence that he is lying regarding this situation. You have plenty of evidence of this animals behavior in other unrelated situations. You have zero evidence that this officer is lying, or is a liar.
No. It wont. And generally the cop would only be confronted with such an individual if said person was suspected of a crime/had gone dangerously insane/had already been dangerously insane.

The dog is not dangerously insane, the dog was not suspected of a crime giving the officer a reason to actually confront the dog, and the chances of the dog going insane are very very low.
I love how you just jump from one extreme to the other. So, this dog would need to have gone insane to attack? Please.
When the correlation between 1 set of behavior in one circumstance and its behavior in another is very very strong, we call that correlation a behavioral syndrome.

Why? Because the same physiological pathways that lead to a dog being just fine with kids, lead to them not being aggressive or defenses in other sets of conditions. Same cause, high correlation. So yes, the behavior in one set of conditions DOES mean that they will behave similarly in others.

Take a look at a lab. You notice those floppy ears, big eyes... puppy features? Same fucking cause.
Again, you're just stating that an officer if attacked by this dog would simply be in an unreasonable position to prove to you that he was attacked.

Also, kids present a much smaller threat than a full grown adult.
When the two behaviors have the same physiological cause, it is not a leap. That said, I am not and have not said that the cop was certainly in the wrong. Only that the probability was amazingly small that he was not.

You on the other hand have relied on suppositions that are counter-indicated by all available evidence in your desperate attempt to defend another cop. Admirable, but in this case misguided.
You show me some evidence that says this cop is in the wrong and then I'll glady support punishment. However, so far all you've given us is the same quality evidence that the cop has. The cop has his observations of THAT incident. You have the observations of others, who might be biased, in completely different situations.
Do we typically allow people accused of murder to claim self defense with no additional evidence?
Uh if you have no evidence that they actually murdered than yeah. Do you think the courts assume someone is lying? They let the evidence tell the story. The evidence at the scene. While character evidence is certainly useful it won't obtain you a conviction or absolve you of one where the evidence is overwhelming.

In this case we have the unfortunate position of a dead animal and the word of a cop that I am assuming has not been demonstrated to be a liar. If you have evidence that he has lied, then please present it because that would change my position on this significantly. To me a cop that lies is useless.
No, you dont. You do however have to have the reasonable expectation that you will be harmed, and affirmative defenses like that require evidence. In this case, the officer's word and the dog's past behavior are all we have. Expectation of harm=not reasonable. Were a witness to come forward that would change.
You don't know what you're talking about. Guilt requires evidence. You are assumed to be innocent. Remember? Or I guess maybe that doesn't apply to police because you feel that being held to a higher standard means that we have less rights as people.
I never said blood drawn=ability to act either. I said it would, in the absence of a witness, satisfy the burden of proof on the officer. It is the only thing that really can. In any self defense case the defense must show that the killer had a reasonable expectation that they would be harmed. That is just not here.
No, the prosecution must show beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused was not in danger of life or limb. You have a pretty funny idea of the criminal system.
No. I am not doing that. Logic and evidence do that for me. You are a cop. If you have a suspect who is suspected of a crime for a reasonable reason and when confronted with the evidence available has nothing to say but "Trust me, I am an X" would you simply take his word for it?
That evidence would be obtained at scene. No court in the world would convict a man of burglary because he has a past history of burglary, but no evidence on scene of actual burglary. Probably a shaking example, but there must be evidence of that incident is my point.

The dog in this case was shot in the head. Where? Directly in front? Or to the side? Those are important questions. If it is directly to the front then that tells us that the dog was facing the officer.
Freak incidents like that are unfortunate. I do believe it is why police have partners, cameras, etc.
Indeed. Police have partners for safety, and if one existed in this case don't pretend like you'd accept that officers word. Cameras aren't standard issue on uniforms...yet. I personally can't wait for that to be the case.
Since when did the accused say so become evidence?
Since it was decided that you were presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Which could more easily given all the other evidence be a lie to cover up the shame of a tragic mistake.
Has this officer demonstrated poor judgement and the desire to cover it up by lying?
When the physiology by which aggressive behavior is controlled is the same, yes, I do, and it is.

I can for example predict with a high degree of accuracy how many animals will react in one situation given its behavior in other, often far more disparate situations provided the mechanisms are the same. You can do the same with people. A person who is aggressive or friendly in one stressful situation is highly likely to aggressive or friendly in another stressful situation. Frankly being poked, prodded and jumped on by three year olds is MORE stressful than a guy calmly entering your yard.
So, you're saying that an adult could engage in the same abusive behavior and not be bitten in self defense. Really, what you're saying is that this dog simply does not have a fight instinct?
Milites Astrum Exterminans