Obama's Cabinet & Cabinet level positions

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Re: Obama's Cabinet & Cabinet level positions

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

The Spartan wrote:What? Are you fucking stupid? They would love having him in a position of power in Obama's administration, not die from "confused anguish."

This is more of the same nonsense that what's-his-name was spouting about hoping McCain won to galvanize the Democrats or some other such bullshit.
Thanks for derailing the thread with your ignorance. If you pay any attention at all you'll realize that the Republican establishment and most of the base, from National Review to Free Republic, absolutely detests and distrusts McCain, always have. He's their Lieberman. Only reason he got the nomination was that he was the most middle-road candidate that wouldn't over-represent any particular faction. In fact, the whole fucking reason why he picked Palin was his VP was because he had to shore up the base for fear they would stay home.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Don't play mod. You were the one who brought up a pure spam pick just because you wanted to go "Hur-hur!!!"
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Fareed Zakaria for Secretary of State.
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Let a Republican be Secretary of Agriculture and call it a day.
Thanks for derailing the thread with your ignorance. If you pay any attention at all you'll realize that the Republican establishment and most of the base, from National Review to Free Republic, absolutely detests and distrusts McCain, always have. He's their Lieberman. Only reason he got the nomination was that he was the most middle-road candidate that wouldn't over-represent any particular faction. In fact, the whole fucking reason why he picked Palin was his VP was because he had to shore up the base for fear they would stay home.
Translation: fucking over our nation's veterans even more is a small price to pay for a superficial swipe at Republicans.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

It was more of a joke than anything, but whatever.

Bill Clinton for Supreme Court Justice.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I'll tell you this once before I start deleting your shit. Put something that isn't one line spam. It's getting fucking annoying.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

Stravo wrote:Colin Powell.
I second the motion.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Interesting. The New York Times suggested that if Gates stays on, Kerry might be a candidate for Secretary of State, since Kerry gave Obama the platform in 2004 which launched Obama into prominence. He wouldn't be a bad choice for SecState.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

irishmick79 wrote:Interesting. The New York Times suggested that if Gates stays on, Kerry might be a candidate for Secretary of State, since Kerry gave Obama the platform in 2004 which launched Obama into prominence. He wouldn't be a bad choice for SecState.
Would Kerry be willing to give up his Senate seat? I seem to recall an interview where Clinton basically said she would turn down a cabinate post to stay in the Senate. I wouldn't be suprised if Kerry felt the same way.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
irishmick79 wrote:Interesting. The New York Times suggested that if Gates stays on, Kerry might be a candidate for Secretary of State, since Kerry gave Obama the platform in 2004 which launched Obama into prominence. He wouldn't be a bad choice for SecState.
Would Kerry be willing to give up his Senate seat? I seem to recall an interview where Clinton basically said she would turn down a cabinate post to stay in the Senate. I wouldn't be suprised if Kerry felt the same way.
I guess that's the real question. For Kerry at least, a cabinet level post is going to be the closest he gets to the White House, whereas Hillary can still harbor presidential ambitions in eight years. It might be smart for Hillary to position herself as a key democrat voice outside of the administration if she's considering another white house run.
- Old Russian Saying
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Kerry has done what most potential Secs do, and that is be dismissive, but leave the door open. My bets are on Kerry or Richardson for SecState though.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Kerry will be, within a year at most I'm sad to say, the Senior Senator from Massachucettes. His length of service gives him a crapload of perks and he has a lot more freedom to say shit as a Senator who knows he is never getting to the White House. I rather suspect that he would prefer to keep his Senate seat given the weight he sitll has and is likely to gain in that chamber.

Total aside but pulling Senators is probably foolish in terms of the legislative side of things so I'd rather pull them only if they are a singular expert in their field. The better deal would be to find solid House Democrats with good experience who could use some national exposure.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Dargos wrote:
Stravo wrote:Colin Powell.
I second the motion.
While we're on the subject of rules of conduct in N&P, if you don't have anything besides "me too", keep it to yourself.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

The Washington Post has come out with an interesting page tracking the possible nominees for cabinet posts. One of the more interesting possibilities was Arnold Schwarzenegger for Energy Secretary.
- Old Russian Saying
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

irishmick79 wrote:The Washington Post has come out with an interesting page tracking the possible nominees for cabinet posts. One of the more interesting possibilities was Arnold Schwarzenegger for Energy Secretary.
Are those people whom it's been leaked that they're being considered, or are they just there because of media speculation? I can't imagine Obama offering Schwarzeneggar a cabinet post.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

irishmick79 wrote:The Washington Post has come out with an interesting page tracking the possible nominees for cabinet posts. One of the more interesting possibilities was Arnold Schwarzenegger for Energy Secretary.
Schwarzenegger would be a good choice if Obama's genuine about making a bipartisan cabinet. He's not a blatant neocon or rabid fundie, and reasonable enough to work with both parties from what (admittedly little) I've seen of his governing style. Plus he's had to deal with California's own energy and budget problems.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
Are those people whom it's been leaked that they're being considered, or are they just there because of media speculation? I can't imagine Obama offering Schwarzeneggar a cabinet post.
For now, it looks like pure speculation. I imagine the page will be updated as more information emerges.
- Old Russian Saying
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I've heard NJ governor Jon Corzine's name mentioned as SecTreas. Frankly, I'd prefer he stay here. He's about the only politician in the state who's capable of admitting we're broke and we can't borrow our way out of it, and I just can't see an acting governor having the ability to stand up to the legislature in an election year. Also, if Corzine resigned, that would be the third governor in a row who didn't finish out a term, and the second in a row not to make it through his first term. Five governors in eight years is ludicrous enough; we don't need to make it six.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

RedImperator wrote:I've heard NJ governor Jon Corzine's name mentioned as SecTreas. Frankly, I'd prefer he stay here. He's about the only politician in the state who's capable of admitting we're broke and we can't borrow our way out of it, and I just can't see an acting governor having the ability to stand up to the legislature in an election year. Also, if Corzine resigned, that would be the third governor in a row who didn't finish out a term, and the second in a row not to make it through his first term. Five governors in eight years is ludicrous enough; we don't need to make it six.
Yeah, no kidding. NJ Governors must have the shortest political life span in the United States. What's made that post so volitile? Does it really amount to just corruption/scandal issues?
- Old Russian Saying
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Since a lot of this is wild speculation and rumors we heard from our cousin's co-worker's best friend's grapevine, I've heard talk about Christine Gregoire (just got reelected as governor of Washington) being picked for a spot for various reasons. I think it's highly unlikely, as she just got reelected, we've got Democratic supermajorities in both houses, and she doesn't have to pander anymore.

Me, I'm hoping for Bill Richardson in somewhere.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

irishmick79 wrote:
RedImperator wrote:I've heard NJ governor Jon Corzine's name mentioned as SecTreas. Frankly, I'd prefer he stay here. He's about the only politician in the state who's capable of admitting we're broke and we can't borrow our way out of it, and I just can't see an acting governor having the ability to stand up to the legislature in an election year. Also, if Corzine resigned, that would be the third governor in a row who didn't finish out a term, and the second in a row not to make it through his first term. Five governors in eight years is ludicrous enough; we don't need to make it six.
Yeah, no kidding. NJ Governors must have the shortest political life span in the United States. What's made that post so volitile? Does it really amount to just corruption/scandal issues?
Whitman resigned to head the EPA. McGreevy got outed in some bizarre gay extortion/nepotism scheme (he gave his ex-boyfriend a job as the head of the state Homeland Security department to keep him quiet) and resigned, though I maintain he was up to his neck in dirty money and got out while the getting was good. Now we have Corzine. In between, we had Donald DiFrancesco, who was Acting Governor after Whitman but gave up seeking the job full time because (hey, surprise!) he was corrupt, and then Dick Codey was Acting Governor after McGreevy quit (he was also Acting Governor after Corzine almost got killed in a car wreck, but I'm not counting that time because it was only a few weeks).
X-Ray Blues
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

From CNN wrote:(CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Rahm Emanuel will bring a "tough-minded" and "pragmatic" approach to the White House when he becomes President-Elect Barack Obama's chief of staff, according to people who know the Chicago, Illinois, native.

A Democratic aide told CNN that Emanuel, a former member of the Clinton administration, had accepted the position Thursday.

After leaving the Clinton White House, Emanuel was an investment banker on Wall Street and later was elected to the House of Representatives from a heavily Democratic Chicago district. He quickly rose to become the fourth-ranking Democrat in the House.

It is Emanuel's combination of experiences -- plus his strong personal relationship with Obama -- that would make him a strong chief of staff, said CNN political analyst Paul Begala, a fellow Clinton veteran.

"He has spent more time in the White House than President-elect Obama has. That matters a lot. It is a special place with its own rhythms," Begala said.

"But, maybe, most importantly, he's got the relationship. He has known Barack and Michelle Obama for a number of years."

Before reports emerged that he had accepted the position, Emanuel told WLS-TV in Chicago that he had to consider the possible impact on his family.

"I have a lot to weigh: the basis of public service, which I given my life to, a career choice. And most importantly, what I want to do as a parent," Emanuel said in an interview that aired Wednesday.

Emanuel added: "This is not a professional choice. This is a personal choice about what my wife and I want to do for our family, as much as what to do with my career."

Emanuel's at-times blunt approach would ensure the White House ran smoothly for the new president, said Mack McLarty, President Clinton's former chief of staff.

"Rahm is high energy. He's direct. He's a tough-minded pragmatist. So I think the years have been good to him in that regard," McLarty said. "I think the high-energy directness will serve him well.

"Rahm, like a lot of us, made mistakes, but he quickly corrected them."

However, the lawmaker's direct style has ruffled a number of feathers in Washington, and Emanuel is known as one of the toughest partisan fighters on Capitol Hill.

After reports that Emanuel had agreed to be Obama's chief of staff on Thursday, the top Republican in the House, Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, questioned the president-elect's pick.

"This is an ironic choice for a president-elect who has promised to change Washington, make politics more civil and govern from the center," Boehner said.

But David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst who has worked in five administrations, said that the contrasting styles between Obama and Emanuel could help the new president get things done in Washington.

"They are obviously setting up a good cop/bad cop routine in the White House. ... Barack Obama can be the good guy," Gergen said.
Looks like a good start.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

irishmick79 wrote:
Pretty much, and not even gubernatorial scandals.. Corzine's name is Mudd around here because he's associated with the state's financial Charlie Foxtrot, and people want all of the programs they currently have at no increase to taxes, which just isn't plausible in Jersey right now. So when Corzine cuts programs or raises taxes to do something, people chew him out. Despite the fact that he's on a $1 (one dollar) salary.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

CNN has now revealed that Obama has been talking to Hillary Clinton about offering her Secretary of State. With Richardson as the second choice. :evil:

Why? Just... why? What the fuck makes Clinton more suited to this post than Richardson? And why does Obama apparently feel beholden to suck up to her endlessly? She lost, damn it. Bygones may be bygones to some, but I haven't forgotten her campaign as, essentially, the white candidate, or her notion that in Florida and Michigan, votes for her should count but not votes for Obama. :banghead: And in the end, I want the best guy for the job. So I repeat: what on God's earth makes her better for this post than Richardson, besides name recognition?

Also, any chance she'll turn it down? The fact that she's confirming nothing, and that she went out to Chicago to talk with Obama, suggests she's going for it. Give her a nice padded resume for the 2016 run I suppose.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Because as a United States Senator, Hillary Clinton is entitled to stand on the chamber floor and heap criticism upon the Obama administration for all to see. She is also, as a powerful Senator with her hands in any number of committees and subcommittees, in a position to cause untold legislative mischief and headaches for the administration.

Whereas as Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton is entitled to say "Yes, Mr. President" and carry out Obama's orders with a smile on her face. It's a case of "keep your enemies closer".
X-Ray Blues