another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Re: another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

I still don't get the Batman bit. He seems to be thinking about something (Batman being known for his mind rather superpowers), but isn't that a good thing? I really don't understand what they're trying to say despite Axis Kast's post, other than that he is either indicisive or not acting quickly enough.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Hey guys, I bring to you a brand new "WTF" comic,

Just like the Batman cartoon, im forced to ask, WTF is being said here? We didn't get the Olympics because.... Obama burned an American Flag?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

The current right wing meme is that Obama is travelling around the globe telling people he's sorry that America sucks so much. When in truth he's saying "I'm sorry Bush ruined relations between you and us, let's try to forget that ever happened.". But as usual the right wing sees "Force all the world to follow american neoconservative doctrine" as proper geopolitics and anything else is treasonous.

Also, what a tré classy political comic. It shows Obama lynching a white uncle sam. That certainly can't have ulterior tones.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

What advice is that? I've heard nothing about Afghanistan since the latest Taliban raid and conservative snipes.
As far as I can tell from recent media reporting (or rather, the hook they've used to attract attention from viewers), the comics are in response to the drama surrounding Obama's decision regarding the deployment of more troops, as desired by his generals.

In this, Obama may have suffered flak that Nancy Pelosi rightly ought to have taken.
Which would make them hypocrites, for six years we squandered our initial successes in Afghanistan and not a peep from the conservitards.
I think you and others are beginning to take these cartoons too literally. This thread now plays host to complaints about the mundane. Is it really "terrible" or outrageous to compare Obama to a hyped-up Batman? It's a figment of popular culture, recognized even in the latest JibJab short. The closest I've seen lately to outrages is the idea that Obama pitched the Olympics by sopping drivel about how America sucks.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Axis Kast wrote:I think you and others are beginning to take these cartoons too literally. This thread now plays host to complaints about the mundane. Is it really "terrible" or outrageous to compare Obama to a hyped-up Batman? It's a figment of popular culture, recognized even in the latest JibJab short. The closest I've seen lately to outrages is the idea that Obama pitched the Olympics by sopping drivel about how America sucks.
Yes, it should be taken seriously, these cartoons are evidence of the gross lack of knowledge and outright dishonesty American conservatives have.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Yes, it should be taken seriously, these cartoons are evidence of the gross lack of knowledge and outright dishonesty American conservatives have.
They're proof that people like to laugh, and oversimplify. It's been a year; Obama doesn't have much to look back on yet. The comics about his failure at Olympic hurdles are hasty but accurate. You're just buttsore because he's your man.

How many comics made Bush out to be a warmonger vis-a-vis Iran? Did we go to war with Iran? No. Did it turn out that Bush's dark suspicions were correct? Yes. And guess what? The Europeans are even less happy about it - and more accusatory - than we are. You never cried about those comics.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

dude, I'm just laughing because Brazil has till 2016 to clean up the worst slums in the world.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:dude, I'm just laughing because Brazil has till 2016 to clean up the worst slums in the world.
The only way that's likely to happen is if by cleaning the slums up you mean moving them a few miles away from the Olympic events and then pretending they don't exist anymore.
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Duckie wrote:Also, what a tré classy political comic. It shows Obama lynching a white uncle sam. That certainly can't have ulterior tones.
I'm not certain that's a specific instance of a racist message. Isn't it common for anti-US protesters to have, along with signs and the like, little lynched/burning effigies of Uncle Sam? I don't think it's so much racist as it is a grab-bag collection of the most commonly recognized anti-American sentiment.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:
Duckie wrote:Also, what a tré classy political comic. It shows Obama lynching a white uncle sam. That certainly can't have ulterior tones.
I'm not certain that's a specific instance of a racist message. Isn't it common for anti-US protesters to have, along with signs and the like, little lynched/burning effigies of Uncle Sam? I don't think it's so much racist as it is a grab-bag collection of the most commonly recognized anti-American sentiment.
Is it? I've never heard of that before, although granted I haven't ever seen a full-blown anti-american protest before. If so, I guess it's... okay... kinda. Having a black man with a lynched white man seems kind of "Obama's Lynching White America", like all those payback fears the PUMAs and McCain voters had about "the blacks being in charge". But I could be reading into it too much.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Raj Ahten wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:dude, I'm just laughing because Brazil has till 2016 to clean up the worst slums in the world.
The only way that's likely to happen is if by cleaning the slums up you mean moving them a few miles away from the Olympic events and then pretending they don't exist anymore.
That more or less worked for China last year.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Duckie wrote:Is it? I've never heard of that before, although granted I haven't ever seen a full-blown anti-american protest before. If so, I guess it's... okay... kinda. Having a black man with a lynched white man seems kind of "Obama's Lynching White America", like all those payback fears the PUMAs and McCain voters had about "the blacks being in charge". But I could be reading into it too much.
Yeah, I would actually put money on it not being a racist dog whistle this time.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

More Afghanistan Nonsense...
Seriously where WERE These people for Bush? For 7 years we wondered around with out heads up our ass and NOW they say the war is a bad thing?

Oh and one more,
Apparently supporting Public Option is giving in to Insurance Companies???
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Vain
Padawan Learner

Post by Vain »

Darth Raptor wrote:
Duckie wrote:Is it? I've never heard of that before, although granted I haven't ever seen a full-blown anti-american protest before. If so, I guess it's... okay... kinda. Having a black man with a lynched white man seems kind of "Obama's Lynching White America", like all those payback fears the PUMAs and McCain voters had about "the blacks being in charge". But I could be reading into it too much.
Yeah, I would actually put money on it not being a racist dog whistle this time.
I think the big purple lips give that one away. Big ears, sure. Obama's lips don't stand out, though (at least, imho). That's a caricature of a black stereotype, not of BHO.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

How is it "Afghanistan nonsense" to point out that much of Obama's base of support may want him out of Afghanistan? Note that this didn't apply to Bush.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

erik_t wrote:How is it "Afghanistan nonsense" to point out that much of Obama's base of support may want him out of Afghanistan? Note that this didn't apply to Bush.
Except the comic implies it's somehow betraying the troops to even consider pulling out.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Um, what? We're talking about this one, right?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

erik_t wrote:Um, what? We're talking about this one, right?
More generic Right Wing talking point. It's been blended with a need to make a decision NOW NOW NOW NOW MOVE ALREADY WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE IT! otherwise he betrays the troops by leaving them unsafe.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Except the comic implies it's somehow betraying the troops to even consider pulling out.
Sorry. Not seeing it. Please explain.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

SirNitram wrote:
erik_t wrote:Um, what? We're talking about this one, right?
More generic Right Wing talking point. It's been blended with a need to make a decision NOW NOW NOW NOW MOVE ALREADY WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE IT! otherwise he betrays the troops by leaving them unsafe.
Again... based on what? You (and others) are reaching terribly to be offended by this cartoon.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Goddamn. I love the media. "Sure, we gave the previous guy carte blanche and looked the other way when told and nodded our heads and supported them vocally when told. But now we want you to fix in 8 months what it took the last guy 8 years to break. What? You aren't done yet? And why haven't I gotten all of my investments back? I thought you were fixing the economy too?"
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:More Afghanistan Nonsense...
Seriously where WERE These people for Bush? For 7 years we wondered around with out heads up our ass and NOW they say the war is a bad thing?

But but but everything was fine and dandy during the Bush years. Or that's what I remember FOX news saying back then all the time anyway.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

erik_t wrote: Again... based on what? You (and others) are reaching terribly to be offended by this cartoon.
Oh dear. We're into the rabbit hole of 'OMZG OBJECTING TO IT OR PLACING IT HERE, OR WORSE, EXPLAINING IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE OFFENDED!'

Stop projecting motives onto me, you fallacious jackass. I pointed out why it's stupid and ridiculous. You got your answer, clearly you want to make this personal, and the only way was by lying.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I don't see it either. I'm happy to spot racists in every shadow and conservitards under every bed, but this just looks like a cartoon about how Obama is under pressure from his base to withdraw from Afghanistan. The worst you could ding it for is conflating the liberal base's position on Iraq and Afghanistan; the left is much more divided on the latter.

And Nit, I really don't see what you're melting down about. He said you were reaching and asked for proof of your assertions. For the first, you are, and for the second, you didn't provide any. You made a bald-faced assertion about how the comic repeats some right-wing meme without pointing to a single thing in the comic which indicated that. I don't see a damn thing in that cartoon about how Obama is betraying the troops, and given how it portrays him sympathetically (his posture mirrors the posture of the soldier under fire), I can't imagine how anyone can see this as an anti-Obama cartoon. Anti-left, maybe, but that's not the argument you made.

And while we're on the subject, I don't see anything "personal" about erik_t's response, either, unless holding longtime board members/Senators/moderators to the same standards as everyone else is now a personal attack.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Not to mention McCrystal has done things that should get him fired. The whole Bill Tillman coverup comes to mind, recent comments and violation of military proceedure....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin