Shooting discussion devolves

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

ryacko
Padawan Learner

Re: Shooting discussion devolves

Post by ryacko »

White Haven wrote:WHILE ("A well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state" = true)
LET "Armedcivilians" = true

By which I mean it's been a long time since the 2nd amendment as actually written has been relevant. Do I support blanket bans? Nope. But I support a free discussion of the subject without one side being able to hide behind a constitutional amendment that has quite clearly expired by its own language.
The British attempted to disarm the militia, leading to the shot heard round the world, leading to the Revolutionary War.

Although it does beg the question of whether or not unilateral succession is allowed, by regional authorities and their militia.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

As usual, you miss the point entirely. To clarify still further, I was making the argument that the wording of the second amendment to the US constitution is structured such that 'While A, B.' Since A, the need for a well-regulated militia, hasn't been terribly relevant to US national defense for quite a long time, B, the right of the people to bear arms, is no longer an automatic assumption. My point is emphatically and explicitly not that mass confiscation should result, as there is no ', else C' tailed onto the end of things to define what happens when A is no longer true.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

PeZook wrote: Doesn't this argument kind of assume ALL citizens will rise up in a righteous fight against the government, though?

Because it seems to ignore the fact that in any remotely realistic (ie. "not Red Dawn") scenario, the LOYALIST faction will also be armed thanks to 2nd amendment magic...and may or may not be ready to commit violence on the rebels with the guns that are supposedly there to keep the government in check.

Not all rebellions are justified by a righteous fight against opression, either. My own country used to have the right to revolt outright guaranteed as a freedom for the nobility, and it led to nothing but problems.

I tell you what.

If the Occupy movement was open-carrying like the Tea Baggers were, I bet the NYPD and others would have been a lot less willing to engage in some good ole police brutality.

Occupy Northern Virgina(VA is a open carry state) never faced any problems with the police in Arlington, despite the potential security threat they posed to the many, many DoD and Contractor facilities in the city. ONV had many people open-carrying.

Across the river in DC, both Occupy DC and Occupy The District faced severe harrassment and questionable conduct from both District and NPS cops.

Obviously correlation isn't causation, but something to think about.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

White Haven wrote:As usual, you miss the point entirely. To clarify still further, I was making the argument that the wording of the second amendment to the US constitution is structured such that 'While A, B.' Since A, the need for a well-regulated militia, hasn't been terribly relevant to US national defense for quite a long time, B, the right of the people to bear arms, is no longer an automatic assumption. My point is emphatically and explicitly not that mass confiscation should result, as there is no ', else C' tailed onto the end of things to define what happens when A is no longer true.
What about intent considering that at the time of the writing being in the militia meant "all adult age males?" As at the time of writing everyone who did not count (IE non-white or female) had the right to bear arms as everyone of adult age was in the militia of what ever area they lived in. Does the fact that universal membership in the militia was a fact at the time have any bearing on your position?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Lonestar wrote:

I tell you what.

If the Occupy movement was open-carrying like the Tea Baggers were, I bet the NYPD and others would have been a lot less willing to engage in some good ole police brutality.

Occupy Northern Virgina(VA is a open carry state) never faced any problems with the police in Arlington, despite the potential security threat they posed to the many, many DoD and Contractor facilities in the city. ONV had many people open-carrying.

Across the river in DC, both Occupy DC and Occupy The District faced severe harrassment and questionable conduct from both District and NPS cops.

That's hilarious. Because all of those Occupy sites were of totally equal profile.

Maybe Arlington police actually had good leadership and no violent idiots on the front line?

Maybe NY and DC faced more serious police actions because there was WAY MORE POLITICAL PRESSURE to be rid of them?

If they had been open carrying, do you think that they should have opened fire on police following a lawful order to move them?

Do you think that had Occupy armed themselves the police wouldn't have just rolled in with even more overwhelming force?

Do you honestly think that the way Tea Partiers and Occupy members were treated by the media, politicians & police should in any way be seen as comparable?

Seriously, it's like you're trying to set up an introduction to a bat shit Clancy novel.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

White Haven wrote:As usual, you miss the point entirely. To clarify still further, I was making the argument that the wording of the second amendment to the US constitution is structured such that 'While A, B.' Since A, the need for a well-regulated militia, hasn't been terribly relevant to US national defense for quite a long time, B, the right of the people to bear arms, is no longer an automatic assumption. My point is emphatically and explicitly not that mass confiscation should result, as there is no ', else C' tailed onto the end of things to define what happens when A is no longer true.
Why do you assume that the second amendment is worded in the form of "While A, B", instead of "Because A, B"? The various draft forms of the 2nd Amendment don't indicate that A is meant to be a condition for the use of B, but rather to explain why B exists.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

weemadando wrote:
That's hilarious. Because all of those Occupy sites were of totally equal profile.

Maybe Arlington police actually had good leadership and no violent idiots on the front line?

Maybe NY and DC faced more serious police actions because there was WAY MORE POLITICAL PRESSURE to be rid of them?

If they had been open carrying, do you think that they should have opened fire on police following a lawful order to move them?

Do you think that had Occupy armed themselves the police wouldn't have just rolled in with even more overwhelming force?

Do you honestly think that the way Tea Partiers and Occupy members were treated by the media, politicians & police should in any way be seen as comparable?

Seriously, it's like you're trying to set up an introduction to a bat shit Clancy novel.

So you think the Police would be just as quick to misbehave if there's a crowd of people with some known to be armed, then in areas where it's essentially impossible for the average joe to legally carry?

Interesting.

By the way, the implication that the Arlington PD(home of the Pentagon, DARPA, various contractor and government facilities) wouldn't be under immense political pressure to do something about them is pretty fucking stupid.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Beowulf wrote:
Why do you assume that the second amendment is worded in the form of "While A, B", instead of "Because A, B"? The various draft forms of the 2nd Amendment don't indicate that A is meant to be a condition for the use of B, but rather to explain why B exists.
The same issue applies with that wording, however. While, because, if, FOR ALL X, whatever you want. A is the grounds by which B is justified, so if A is no longer valid, B no longer follows automatically. Does it still follow in some form? Maybe. That's for the legislature to decide with relevant firearms laws. I'm not a gun owner, I'm not against civilian ownership of firearms. I don't have a horse in this race, I'm looking at the 2nd amendment from a fairly disinterested perspective.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Lonestar wrote:
weemadando wrote:

So you think the Police would be just as quick to misbehave if there's a crowd of people with some known to be armed, then in areas where it's essentially impossible for the average joe to legally carry?
There were cases of police "misbehaviour", but more often it was dumb or pointless, yet [probably] legal orders from above being followed. If Occupy had been armed then the response would likely have had even more overwhelming force to clear.

And why do you assume that police misbehaviour is tied to lack of firearms ownership? Why isn't it just as likely that the police would just shoot anyone and then say "well, he was reaching for his personal weapon, too bad so sad"?

Do you really have that intense a distrust of your police and govt that you believe that you need to be armed to protect yourself from them at all times?
Interesting.

By the way, the implication that the Arlington PD(home of the Pentagon, DARPA, various contractor and government facilities) wouldn't be under immense political pressure to do something about them is pretty fucking stupid.
Occupy NYC and other large sites were daily visuals on international news. I wasn't even aware that there was an Occupy Arlington. They may have still had pressure, but it's orders of magnitude different.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Lonestar wrote: I tell you what.

So? My point was that parts of an armed populace may just as well (actually, some certainly will ; There were plenty of British loyalists in the colonies...) support an opressive government AGAINST undesirable troublemakers, or overthrow a legal government brownshirt style. Or did you miss my example of Poland, which had the right to revolt outright guaranteed by law? And how it never worked the way it was supposed to, because nobles would go "Waaah waaah reform is injustice! WE USE OUR RIGHT AND REBEL!!!"

Pro-gun people are always awfully quick to say guns are just tools...which, surprise surprise, they actually are, and can be used in a number of ways depending on what the tool-used wants - but the prevailing narrative is always "Citizenry with arms will keep the gubmint in check!"

Unless they vote for the fascist laws themselves, then the same armed citizenry will brandish their FREEDOM causing guns at the latinos and blacks who try to vote.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Lonestar wrote: I tell you what.

By that rationale, people in Europe (where there is no open carry, at all, only some concealed in rare cases) would be beat up on a daily basis at police road-checks.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Does Europe suffer from widespread systemic police corruption?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Some nations do, like Italy and Greece. Also some eastern countries like Poland used to suffer from it, but I do not know if it is still prevalent over there. But Italy and Greece, yeah definitely. Maybe even more than the US.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I generally think police corruption in the US is substantially different in cities vs. rural areas. Since rural police tend to be watched by the State Troopers. City police in the US get away with a lot though. Their is a reason New Yorkers refer to the NYPD as "The World's Biggest Gang".

Though to be fair, that's because the NYPD is known for being exceptionally ruthless in stopping crime. A substantial improvement from when they used to participate in it. All anecdotal I know, but it's a fairly typical attitude here.
Best care anywhere.
Lord Falcon
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Falcon »

I say attack the source of the problem directly. Repeal the 2nd Amendment entirely. My fellow Americans and I are too immature to be playing with guns.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Congratulations for making immature sweeping claims about people you have never met. I'm sure you shouldn't be playing with fire, either, you precious snowflake you.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Lord Falcon is as mature as someone who shouts "MOLON LABE" as their only contribution to this debate, and should probably be forced to live in a town full of these people.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I think he would do himself a service just by reading at least a few pages back on the the thread and realizing he needs to say more than that.
Best care anywhere.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Lord Falcon wrote:I say attack the source of the problem directly. Repeal the 2nd Amendment entirely. My fellow Americans and I are too immature to be playing with guns.
Your an idiot. Go back and read the thread, pay attention to the posts that actually offer solutions, like licensing, safety courses and safe storage. There has also been a bunch of us promoting UHC and mental heath care funding.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Lord Falcon wrote:I say attack the source of the problem directly. Repeal the 2nd Amendment entirely. My fellow Americans and I are too immature to be playing with guns.
Please, don't lump myself, Lonestar, a number of other posters, and millions upon millions of responsible gun owners and users with yourself. I find it offensive. Like Aaron and others have said, go back and read the last few pages and see the points raised about stricter controls on those with mental disorders possessing firearms and increased availability of resources for mental health.
Lord Falcon
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Falcon »

I've never owned a gun. I don't see the reason. They are weapons, just that. The 2nd Amendment was specifically made to allow us to overthrow a tyrannical government. But in those days, they didn't have heavy machine guns that could kill dozens or hundreds within minutes. I personally don't want to shoot any living creature, ever. And I am willing to make sacrifices for the greater good. If it means less massacres of children, I will gladly say no one should own a gun. There are some countries that prohibit citizens owning guns and they work out just fine.
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

Lord Falcon wrote:I've never owned a gun. I don't see the reason. They are weapons, just that. The 2nd Amendment was specifically made to allow us to overthrow a tyrannical government. But in those days, they didn't have heavy machine guns that could kill dozens or hundreds within minutes. I personally don't want to shoot any living creature, ever. And I am willing to make sacrifices for the greater good. If it means less massacres of children, I will gladly say no one should own a gun. There are some countries that prohibit citizens owning guns and they work out just fine.
I'd argue that, in your position, that you aren't really "sacrificing" anything. Unless I'm missing something. You already eschew guns, so you're not sacrificing anything as much as reinforcing your position.

Anyway, I don't own a gun. Each member of my family does, however. While I don't think across-the-board banning is something that would work, I do think that there needs to be more steps taken to make sure that weapons aren't as easily acquired, and maybe limit their production. I know people (here and in the media) keep pointing at mental health or video games, but unless you have a way of detecting when someone is going to snap and go on a mass-shooting spree a la Minority Report, then perhaps we should deal with things that are more tangible. Like the number of guns in circulation. Licensing and following up with storage inspection. Prohibiting certain types of guns/magazine/clip sizes. Etc. I feel like these have all already been mentioned.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Lord Falcon wrote:I've never owned a gun. I don't see the reason. They are weapons, just that. The 2nd Amendment was specifically made to allow us to overthrow a tyrannical government. But in those days, they didn't have heavy machine guns that could kill dozens or hundreds within minutes. I personally don't want to shoot any living creature, ever. And I am willing to make sacrifices for the greater good. If it means less massacres of children, I will gladly say no one should own a gun. There are some countries that prohibit citizens owning guns and they work out just fine.
You already don't use or own a firearm. So, I don't really see the sacrifice for you.

EDIT:
And I know some will consider it a 'slippery slope' argument, but if you're willing to sacrifice one freedom for the 'greater good', what's next? Banning cars on public roads and forcing people to use public transit because of vehicle accidents? Banning alcohol due to people drinking too much and harming themselves or getting behind the wheel of a vehicle?

And I'm not asking this cause I want to be rhetorical, I really want to know, how much would you personally, Lord Falcon, be willing to 'sacrifice' for the 'greater good'. Cause, see, myself? I always feel uneasy about any attempt to take away a freedom.
Kneecap64
Redshirt

Post by Kneecap64 »

And while we talk about this, guess what? Another shooting.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/news/sources ... -co/nTcf5/

It's sadly seems to be becoming a just about everyday occurrence now.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Agent Fisher wrote:Cause, see, myself? I always feel uneasy about any attempt to take away a freedom.
Aren't you similarly uneasy about people dying for your 'freedom'. Its always other people, of course, who suffer. Convenient, really.