Rampage shooting in Santa Barbara by misogynist 22-yo.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Rampage shooting in Santa Barbara by misogynist 22-yo.

Post by MKSheppard »

Flagg wrote:And we were in the middle of the Great Depression, crime was high, and millions of people in America rode horses and had no electricity or indoor plumbing. If only we had a time machine we could send you back there.
Well, you see, there's this myth going around that the NRA didn't do shit about gun politics until the old guard was coup d'etated by Wayne LaPierre clones at their Convention in what, the middle to late 1970s. :angelic:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

MKSheppard wrote:
Flagg wrote:And we were in the middle of the Great Depression, crime was high, and millions of people in America rode horses and had no electricity or indoor plumbing. If only we had a time machine we could send you back there.
Well, you see, there's this myth going around that the NRA didn't do shit about gun politics until the old guard was coup d'etated by Wayne LaPierre clones at their Convention in what, the middle to late 1970s. :angelic:
So? Aside from the dark passenger voices in your head, has anyone in the thread said otherwise? Dexter reference FTW.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

madd0ct0r wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:
Other people do think they need a gun, other people have NEEDED a firearm and successfully defended their lives with them. People have stopped muggings, women (and presumably men) have stopped rapists, people have stop home invasions, and defending themselves from couple of guys who were up to no good making trouble in their neighborhood.
madd0ct0r wrote:On phone. Would you consider this to be a reputable source?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firea ... gun-use-2/
Probably not though thats only because I find most any surveys suspect at best and prone to bias. Surveys tend to use leading questions or confusing ones to try to get the result they want. The bias of the person making the survey and studies is called into question, too often they seem to take construct a study to reach preconceived results. Doing a bit of research one of the primary authors David Hemenway and Deborah Azrael seems anti-gun. Saying shit like "anyone using a gun is a wuss", "They’re somebody to look down at because they couldn’t defend themselves or couldn’t protect others without using a gun" because I guess little old ladies being menaced by some 20 year old, women being raped, and people being attacked should do the honorable thing and engage in fisticuffs. I just eye-rolled at that bullshit so hard my eyeballs are hurting. Pro-gun or anti-gun, I think most save this idiot can agree that potential rape victims and the elderly fighting some in shape young person IS NOT FUCKING BRAVE.

That actual factual legitimate anger aside, these studies are also around 20 years old (though I wanted to write 10 years because I keep thinking the 90s were still last decade) and from a no doubt small sample size. I also question who would over the phone be admitting to using firearms illegally.

This is a problem (well one of them) with the NRA. There refusal to allow any government research into gun violence makes it so there is only biased studies like this or NRA fund overtly pro-gun studies that are just as untrustworthy and biased as this study. I think we can both agree that some unbiased neutral studies would be good for everyone. Well everyone save maybe the NRA and the Brady Campaign but personally I think both of them can eat a bag of soggy rotten donkey dicks with a butter knife. Both are moronic zealots.
So basically, you dismiss the havard source, which isn't just a paper but is a summary paper that summarises a bunch of different other studies into self defence with guns claims. You defend your self with righteous (not right) anger, at the idea of forcing grandma to beat off a mugger with her handbag, but then freely admit you ain't got any data or statistics to back this up and that they probably don't exist (at least, not ones where you think the author likes guns). So there ain't shit I can do here becuase just like the NRA, you're refusing to engage at a level above gut reactions and truthiness.

I will bet you $25 on payapl though, that, in any five year period over the last two decades, in the continental USA, more people were killed by by guns than cases where a gun was used in self defence against rape or by a senior citizen to prevent a mugging. $25, on the table.

Here's the problem. Joun_Lord is kinda right. If you want well-designed studies people without an axe to grind are going to be better at designing studies to look at guns as a public health issue, and then offering recommendations as to how we can balance the risk against what we perceive to be the rights of our citizens.

On a personal level, the sense of security offered by a gun is pretty much false, because they will never need to use it. For some groups however, it is the only effective security they have. If I am in certain parts of the country (Texas), I dont feel particularly safe. There is for instance a serial gay-basher in Dallas right now. The police are not doing a great deal to investigate it, and even if they were that does nothing for the victims who will likely be bankrupted by hospital bills. Transpeople (and cispeople who look like transpeople) are seeing an uptick in their already high rates of hate crime victimization this year. Then there are places like Alaska, where household gun ownership is a necessity not only because subsistence hunting is common up there, but because the wildlife tries to kill you (to the point that six year olds get both bear and moose countermeasure training in addition to earthquake, fire, and in some areas volcano drills)

There are ways to reduce the public health risk from guns that dont require removing that security from law-abiding citizens. Better background checks, enforcement of gun-free areas, getting rid of open carry (because it permits more rapid risk-assessment, that guy walking down the street with an AR-15 is likely up to no good if doing so is generally illegal), that sort of thing.

But lets operate on the statistical assumption that household firearm ownership increases the risk of homicide. Controlling for other factors (poverty and urbanization), we can look at that. I will use the homicide rate rather than the gun-related homicide rate to avoid auto-correlation. All stats are for 2013 (except urbanization, that is census data from 2010).

Model Summary
Model R R Square Adjusted R Square Std. Error of the Estimate
1 .500a .250 .202 2.24752
a Predictors: (Constant), UrbPerc, PovertyPerc, GunOwn

ANOVAa
Model Sum of Squares df Mean Square F Sig.
1 Regression 79.182 3 26.394 5.225 .003b
Residual 237.414 47 5.051
Total 316.596 50
a Dependent Variable: Homicide
b Predictors: (Constant), UrbPerc, PovertyPerc, GunOwn

Coefficientsa
Model Unstandardized Coefficients Standardized Coefficients t Sig.
B Std. Error Beta
1 (Constant) -1.016 2.658 -.382 .704
GunOwn -4.317 2.720 -.231 -1.587 .119
PovertyPerc 212.264 62.791 .458 3.380 .001
UrbPerc 4.507 2.473 .267 1.822 .075
a Dependent Variable: Homicide

As you can see, the poverty rate is the only one that matters, at least on a macro-scale.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

ugh, its midnight hetre and im drunk. the outputs look familiar, but could you walk me through them?

I'm reading gun ownership as 2.27452 on error of estimate comapared to a base rate of 1.5 for the stats input- ie gun ownership is much less predicatable then urbanisation and poverty but not sure if that's internal correlation or external data error that you input.

And then I'm reading homicide tied to gun ownership is practically zero (0.003), although that leads to the obvious question as to whether gunowernship includes illeagel gunownership. For cowboys riding along, I'll accept that of course criminals won't follow gun owenrship laws, but also that gun control makes it much hard for bangsticks to enter the criminal markets. In the usa this might take a while to play out given the plentiful supply currently available. It'd be a cruel irony for the target of burglaries to be your gun safe.

And finally for al's model I'm reading coeffecieents as being the main statement of importance of that factor against the factors listed in the predictors pragraph in order. so constantXconstant is the -1.016 score and 212.264 is povertypercXconstant while 62.791 is povertypercXurbanperc.
The latter just means a half decent correlation between urbanised percentage and poverty percentage coinciding with homicide in that year set data, which seems reasonable. I'd call above 80 a strong correlation, and above 60 a decent one. Either way, 212 is an order of magnitude above the next strongest correlation, and way, way above anything else.

Pity its not what i'm arguing. But i'll check with al my reading is correct before proceeding. I'll sober up in the meantime. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I wouldn't carry a gun. I'm most at risk when wandering out out at night drunk. That's also when I'm least equipped to manage a lethal weapon and the idea of waking up to find I've shot someone accidently, well, fuck that.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Wow you were...trashed.

Basically, neither gun-ownership (households with guns) nor urbanization (defined as percent of the population living in a census designated metro area) were predictive of homicide. The slopes for those curves were indistinguishable from zero (and the best fit was a linear curve, I checked that). Only poverty was, with a positive slope. Poverty goes up, homicide goes up, and this explained about 20% of the variation in homicide rates. If I wanted to, I could get the GINI coefficients for each state and use that as a predictor variable as well, but I did not think to do so last night.
And then I'm reading homicide tied to gun ownership is practically zero (0.003), although that leads to the obvious question as to whether gunowernship includes illeagel gunownership.

No, this is legal household ownership.
but also that gun control makes it much hard for bangsticks to enter the criminal markets.
It really doesn't. If the war on drugs it is that we are absolute shit when it comes to interdicting smuggling by well organized criminal syndicates.

On the other hand, our career criminal element is not responsible for most murders. Most murders are committed by people who know eachother well (one is more likely to be killed by a spouse than anyone else, last I checked). For planned-out murder (for a bit, not five seconds...) whether they have a gun or not is irrelevant. If Richard really wants to kill Catherine he'll find a way, gun or no. For crimes of passion, they will use whatever is to hand, and knives, a baseball bat, or fists will work just as well.

There is some benefit to gun control, but our existing laws most likely saturate the positive gains we will make through gun-control measures.

Wait times mean that someone who just found out their wife is cheating on them and WANTS a gun to kill her has to wait for one, which for most people will let cooler heads prevail, so long as he is not mad with rage sufficient to lose control and kill her right there with the baseball bat in the closet. With no access to guns at all, he wont fixate on that method and will get creative in the day or so he has to stew in his rage.

Gun-free zones permit a similar cooling off period for more casual conflicts. If you are in a bar and dont have a gun, it is harder to immediately escalate to lethal force and other people can pull you away from the fight before it gets to the point of beating someone's head on the floor.
The latter just means a half decent correlation between urbanised percentage and poverty percentage coinciding with homicide in that year set data, which seems reasonable. I'd call above 80 a strong correlation, and above 60 a decent one. Either way, 212 is an order of magnitude above the next strongest correlation, and way, way above anything else.
I did check correlation between my predictors, there was very little. You just misread the readout (I formatted them before posting, but apparently board software did not even like the spaces. I will use images next time)
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Joun_Lord wrote:Well no, its not the America had decided the situation is fine.
If you people didn't think it was fine, you'd do something about it. You haven't done so, and continually refuse to do so, so what we're left with is that you do. The rest of the developed world has shown the problem can in fact be dealt with, and that dealing with it does not involve creating a dystopia or whatever, so you can fuck off with this whiny exceptionalism routine.
Our economy being shit and making people have to resort to unsavory methods to survive, the perpetually poor inner city minorities and rural white trash who have had to do the same even before the economy went down the crapper but now have to do more so, our horrific prison system, our nearly as horrific mental health system where it exists, racism, classism, sexism, and of course most importantly some people have little regard for life are all reasons for these media whored shootings and the vast numbers of other shootings nobody cares about because its two black people or two white people or they can't find some other angle to whore it with.
What horseshit. You think Canada, Britain, Australia, Japan etc don't have these things? Inequality is everywhere, poverty is everywhere, mental healthcare is just flat out trashy and ineffective anywhere you go. The prison system across the anglosphere ranges from bad to bad.

We didn't have to resolve our countries into utopias to get serious about cracking down on guns and murder, we just hit them with tough laws, which were and are broadly successful in their intended purpose.
Last edited by the atom on 2016-06-03 06:42am, edited 1 time in total.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

What a useless whiny post.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The problem with the assault weapon ban was they went after "scary looking" guns. The good part was limiting magazine capacity. We know from incidents during shootings that when the shooter had to switch magazines, that's usually when they got stopped, like in the Giffords shooting. And there really is no valid argument against limiting magazine capacity on all civilian owned firearms.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Flagg wrote:The good part was limiting magazine capacity. We know from incidents during shootings that when the shooter had to switch magazines, that's usually when they got stopped, like in the Giffords shooting.
At Columbine

Shitstain #A had a 9mm Carbine with 13 x 10 round magazines and fired it 96 times.
Shitstain #B had a 9mm TEC-9 with 1 x 52 rd, 1 x 32 rd, 1 x 28 rd and fired it 55 times.

At Giffords

Shitstain #C had a 9mm Glock 19 with 2 x 33 (!!!) round magazines. Fired 31 times. Jammed after reloading, enabling takedown.

The takeaway from this is the bigger the magazine capacity, the less shots, curiously. Mainly because outside of standard capacities, the extended ones are pieces of shit that jam.
And there really is no valid argument against limiting magazine capacity on all civilian owned firearms.
US v. Miller, where they upheld the NFA as constitutional because there was no milita use for short barrelled shotguns. :wtf: Thus, 30 round magazines in ARMALYTES and 15 round magazines for BLOCKS are constitutional as they are protected as a milita item.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

the atom wrote:]If you people didn't think it was fine, you'd do something about it. You haven't done so, and continually refuse to do so, so what we're left with is that you do. The rest of the developed world has shown the problem can in fact be dealt with, and that dealing with it does not involve creating a dystopia or whatever, so you can fuck off with this whiny exceptionalism routine.
What do you mean "you people"?

The rest of the world HASN'T shown violence can be solved, they've shown gun violence can be solved which is kinda stupid for multiple reasons. The 1st and most obvious is obviously the fact that only a symptom of a problem has been solved and not the actual problem.

Gun violence is the symptom of a larger problem. Treated the symptom and the problem remains. Place like the United Kingdumb and Ausfailia still have violence, still have murders, despite having some advantages over American't beyond not being America. I'll get to that more later.

2nd, nobody can agree on what the best solution is. Total disarmament, banning guns because they look scary, putting a gun in every pot? Even looking towards the Eurocommies don't help because again they didn't solve their problems they only slapped a band-aid on it and called it a day. People want the problem solved but not some quick half assed measure that tramples all over rights of people in exchange for making them little safer.
What horseshit. You think Canada, Britain, Australia, Japan etc don't have these things? Inequality is everywhere, poverty is everywhere, mental healthcare is just flat out trashy and ineffective anywhere you go. The prison system across the anglosphere ranges from bad to bad.

We didn't have to resolve our countries into utopias to get serious about cracking down on guns and murder, we just hit them with tough laws, which were and are broadly successful in their intended purpose.
Getting back to that now thats its later, I know Cunuckistan, Britaint, Ausfailia, and Japan (can't think of an insulting name for Japan, maybe Japanned? No thats not very good) have the problems but nowhere even close to the levels America still have to say nothing of the levels it had during the far worse 80s or 90s. All those countries have atleast a universal social safety net to provide a minimum of income for people or high enough employment where few people need it. Most if not all those countries have universal health care. All those cuntries have good school systems. Most if not all those countries do not have racial ghettos where unemployment is high, education is low, violence is high, and people giving a shit is very, very low.

And the prison system? America's prisons and jails can be compared to 3rd world ones. Violent, dirty, overcrowded hellholes run for profit. Eurocommie and Canadia are practically holiday resorts compared to American jails. The jails of Europe, America's hat, and Japan aims to rehabilitate prisoners rather then just punish them like the American ones do. Japan's prisons aren't exactly nice themselves being ran like boot camps but there is little to no prisoner on prisoner violence, rape, and revenge killings so still superior to American prisons. Japan's prison population is on the rise, sure, but not because of hardened criminals but because of of lonely old people wanting attention.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2009/0 ... lice-study

Those countries have it far better then America and yet they still have violence, still have murders. The homicide rate in the UK changed little after the handgun ban, even exceeding pre-ban number, and only going down significantly in the 2010s when the homicide rate in the US was down too. Gun crime went up and only went down around the same time as the murder rate went down. Knife crime remained about the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London#Murder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_ ... nife_crime

Clearly just banning handguns did not solve the problem of gun crime itself or the far more important problem of crime in general. Strangely criminals don't follow laws, bizarrely they are little affected by these laws beyond having easier victims.

But clearly we should follow the example of the UK and ban guns and ignore all the other crime including gun crime because we can pat ourselves on the back because we did.......something.

Or we could take the time to do it right.
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: On the other hand, our career criminal element is not responsible for most murders. Most murders are committed by people who know eachother well (one is more likely to be killed by a spouse than anyone else, last I checked). For planned-out murder (for a bit, not five seconds...)
You'll find the majority of murder suspects and victims have a lengthy criminal history,

Spousal murders in 2014 accounted for 614 of <12,000 murders.

By far the largest category, putting aside Unknown, is Acquaintance murders, with Stranger running second.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/c ... p_2014.xls
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Andras wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: On the other hand, our career criminal element is not responsible for most murders. Most murders are committed by people who know eachother well (one is more likely to be killed by a spouse than anyone else, last I checked). For planned-out murder (for a bit, not five seconds...)
You'll find the majority of murder suspects and victims have a lengthy criminal history,

Spousal murders in 2014 accounted for 614 of <12,000 murders.

By far the largest category, putting aside Unknown, is Acquaintance murders, with Stranger running second.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/c ... p_2014.xls
Read it again and put on your reading comprehension goggles. I said your spouse is more likely to kill you than anyone else. As in, any one other specified person. Stranger covers a LOT of people in terms of just raw numbers, but each individual is low risk. When it comes to parsing out risk, that random stranger you see is unlikely to kill you.

Acquaintance covers a lot of people and a lot of categories. It covers friends, co-workers (but not boss or employees, separate category), classmates etc. But the victim still knows them. Either way, any given person is not very likely to kill you.

Your spouse is ONE very specified person (maybe a few more if you are poly or FLDS). If someone is going to kill you, the odds are on the spouse.

Tally up all the people the victim knows, and it is more likely than Stranger, by a large margin. And the stranger category is the one most likely to benefit from gun control measures we already have in place, because most of those deaths occur during mundane arguments (road rage for instance), where some "you may not bring guns here" laws will stop guns from being available as an instigator.

Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Getting back to that now thats its later, I know Cunuckistan, Britaint, Ausfailia, and Japan (can't think of an insulting name for Japan, maybe Japanned? No thats not very good) have the problems but nowhere even close to the levels America still have to say nothing of the levels it had during the far worse 80s or 90s. All those countries have atleast a universal social safety net to provide a minimum of income for people or high enough employment where few people need it. Most if not all those countries have universal health care. All those cuntries have good school systems. Most if not all those countries do not have racial ghettos where unemployment is high, education is low, violence is high, and people giving a shit is very, very low.

And the prison system? America's prisons and jails can be compared to 3rd world ones. Violent, dirty, overcrowded hellholes run for profit. Eurocommie and Canadia are practically holiday resorts compared to American jails. The jails of Europe, America's hat, and Japan aims to rehabilitate prisoners rather then just punish them like the American ones do. Japan's prisons aren't exactly nice themselves being ran like boot camps but there is little to no prisoner on prisoner violence, rape, and revenge killings so still superior to American prisons. Japan's prison population is on the rise, sure, but not because of hardened criminals but because of of lonely old people wanting attention.

Those countries have it far better then America and yet they still have violence, still have murders. The homicide rate in the UK changed little after the handgun ban, even exceeding pre-ban number, and only going down significantly in the 2010s when the homicide rate in the US was down too. Gun crime went up and only went down around the same time as the murder rate went down. Knife crime remained about the same.

Clearly just banning handguns did not solve the problem of gun crime itself or the far more important problem of crime in general. Strangely criminals don't follow laws, bizarrely they are little affected by these laws beyond having easier victims.

But clearly we should follow the example of the UK and ban guns and ignore all the other crime including gun crime because we can pat ourselves on the back because we did.......something.
What's your point? That American jails are run by corrupt arseholes who make their money per prisoner so they spend their time bribing judges? That the legal system is non functional because the people who get the final say are appointed for life, largely senile and waiting to die? That the police are ineffective because there are 300,000 separate police forces, most with effectively no training or oversight and somehow they all seem to get their jollies shooting black people? That the lead contaminating the public water supply has so corroded the brains of the average American that they are unable to imagine what a functional health care system might look like? That Amercians have a relationship with guns that can, at best, be described as childish in the extreme? Do you think this is actually news to anybody? Because you're acting like you think it is.

Hahahahahahahaha. Bull. Fucking. Shit.

We all know that you won't take the time to do it right, you'll take the time to do nothing at all. There will be no changes until the next time some dickhead picks up mommy or daddies legally owned firearm (which they leave lying about the house unsecured and fully loaded out of fear of rapist muslim gangbanger coyote drug dealer home invaders) and shoots 20 people in the school cafeteria because they aren't nice enough to him/no one has had sex with them yet. Even then the only change will be the NRA increasing the funding they provide to any politician running against a candidate who even makes noises about gun control.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Alkaloid wrote:

What's your point? That American jails are run by corrupt arseholes who make their money per prisoner so they spend their time bribing judges? That the legal system is non functional because the people who get the final say are appointed for life, largely senile and waiting to die? That the police are ineffective because there are 300,000 separate police forces, most with effectively no training or oversight and somehow they all seem to get their jollies shooting black people? That the lead contaminating the public water supply has so corroded the brains of the average American that they are unable to imagine what a functional health care system might look like? That Amercians have a relationship with guns that can, at best, be described as childish in the extreme? Do you think this is actually news to anybody? Because you're acting like you think it is.

We all know that you won't take the time to do it right, you'll take the time to do nothing at all. There will be no changes until the next time some dickhead picks up mommy or daddies legally owned firearm (which they leave lying about the house unsecured and fully loaded out of fear of rapist muslim gangbanger coyote drug dealer home invaders) and shoots 20 people in the school cafeteria because they aren't nice enough to him/no one has had sex with them yet. Even then the only change will be the NRA increasing the funding they provide to any politician running against a candidate who even makes noises about gun control.
But dude, it's hard! Don't you understand?! It's just really hard! :banghead:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Alkaloid wrote:What's your point? That American jails are run by corrupt arseholes who make their money per prisoner so they spend their time bribing judges? That the legal system is non functional because the people who get the final say are appointed for life, largely senile and waiting to die? That the police are ineffective because there are 300,000 separate police forces, most with effectively no training or oversight and somehow they all seem to get their jollies shooting black people? That the lead contaminating the public water supply has so corroded the brains of the average American that they are unable to imagine what a functional health care system might look like? That Amercians have a relationship with guns that can, at best, be described as childish in the extreme? Do you think this is actually news to anybody? Because you're acting like you think it is.
My point if you could read, clearly you can't so clearly you must be a product of American schools, is parts of America are 3rd world countries with the crime levels to match. Some parts of America are economic deadzones, violent warzones, corrupt hellzones, like the Zone from Stalker but with fewer mutants. Some Americans have it so bad they have no choice but to turn to violence to try to survive, to try to eat, to try to pay their rent, because their education and job prospects are so dim they have no chance of ever finding a job, of being a productive member of society.

Its stupid to say "why can't you be more like these Eurocommie cuntries with their universal healthcare, basic income, and less systemic racism" because America with it exceptionalism has in many parts become a 3rd world exception in the 1st world.

And the Europeon relationship with guns is childish. One that treats everyone like children by banning an object from public possession because they can't be trusted with it like they are a bunch of preschoolers having scissors taken away by the teacher because little Timmy was a dickhole with his Hanna Montana scissors. A relationship of fear where people rather then understanding something just want it taken away. The American relationship with firearms is by no means perfect but atleast its a fairly adult relationship where people are trusted with firearms because they are adults until they abuse them.

Not doing something right after some cocksuckers shoots up a school ≠ not doing anything. Because trying to pass half assed measures that don't do shit beyond passing meaningless feel good measures based on muh feels and how scary an object looks is definitely not doing anything to stop gun violence. Just passing laws and calling it a day does not stop gun violence, does not get to the root of the gun violence because.......dot dot.......gun violence is the symptom of a larger problem and you ain't doing shit without addressing the cause thus you ain't doing shit about the problem by passing laws that have nothing to do with most shootings anyway and based on scary features like shoulder things that go up.
Flagg wrote:But dude, it's hard! Don't you understand?! It's just really hard! :banghead:
Well it is hard dude, like a little boy watching his first Nicki Minaj music video. In what way is it easy to fix gun violence, hmm? Surely you can enlighten me and the rest of the class how it easy it is si'?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Flagg wrote:But dude, it's hard! Don't you understand?! It's just really hard! :banghead:
Well it is hard dude, like a little boy watching his first Nicki Minaj music video. In what way is it easy to fix gun violence, hmm? Surely you can enlighten me and the rest of the class how it easy it is si'?
I'm mocking and banging my head about people who won't do anything, even make the attemp, because "it's too hard! NRA! Waaa!"

Of course it isn't easy. Anything truly worth doing isn't.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Joun_Lord wrote:And the Europeon relationship with guns is childish
Just replace this with urban and it applies to both europe and the US.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Joun_Lord wrote:And the Europeon relationship with guns is childish. One that treats everyone like children by banning an object from public possession because they can't be trusted with it like they are a bunch of preschoolers having scissors taken away by the teacher because little Timmy was a dickhole with his Hanna Montana scissors. A relationship of fear where people rather then understanding something just want it taken away. The American relationship with firearms is by no means perfect but atleast its a fairly adult relationship where people are trusted with firearms because they are adults until they abuse them.
It's not "childish" to protect people from something harmful.

It's not childish to pass laws against, for example, drunk driving. People who drive drunk are dangerous, and only morons think that it's a good idea to "treat people like adults" and drive drunk until they hurt someone. By the time the person has hurt someone, yes, we can punish the person who did it, but odds are someone's already dead. As a result of treating drunk driving like a public health hazard, and legislating harsh disincentives to drive drunk - even if you personally didn't hurt anyone or damage anything in the process - way fewer people are dying as a result of DUI, both absolutely and relative to the number of vehicle miles travelled. There are also fewer non-alcohol-related deaths because the government studied road safety as a public health hazard, found ways to reduce vehicle fatalities, and made those ways into law. Seat belts and airbags, for example. As a result, the roads are way way safer, and your odds of dying in a traffic accident have dropped precipitously.

Why don't we do this with guns? Oh, right, the gun advocates have lobbied to make it illegal for the CDC to study gun violence. Worth noting that guns killed more people last year than cars did, and a hell of a lot more people use cars on a daily basis. Per person-hour of use, cars are literally several orders of magnitude safer than guns, yet - excluding morons - we accept government study and regulation of automobiles at both manufacturer, purchaser, user, and passenger levels as a matter of course. Is that "childish"? Or simply an acknowledgement that some things are dangerous to people? I'd love to propose some gun legislation that would actually reduce gun violence, with evidence to back me up, but I can't really do that, because it's been made illegal to thoroughly study the problem. So, I don't know what we can do to reduce gun violence, other than maybe ask some other countries. Because some countries have way less gun violence than us, and there's no clear trend of economic inequality that explains why it's higher some places than others.

What I do know is that I'm tired of the gun lobby saying there's nothing we can do about the problem.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Terralthra wrote:It's not childish to pass laws against, for example, drunk driving. People who drive drunk are dangerous, and only morons think that it's a good idea to "treat people like adults" and drive drunk until they hurt someone. By the time the person has hurt someone, yes, we can punish the person who did it, but odds are someone's already dead. As a result of treating drunk driving like a public health hazard, and legislating harsh disincentives to drive drunk - even if you personally didn't hurt anyone or damage anything in the process - way fewer people are dying as a result of DUI, both absolutely and relative to the number of vehicle miles travelled. There are also fewer non-alcohol-related deaths because the government studied road safety as a public health hazard, found ways to reduce vehicle fatalities, and made those ways into law. Seat belts and airbags, for example. As a result, the roads are way way safer, and your odds of dying in a traffic accident have dropped precipitously.
The problem with the drunk driving example is the fact America already does have laws on the books or scrolls or rolls or whatever that does the same thing for guns. Using guns improperly, including probably while intoxicated, is already illegal and we have harsh legislation in place to disincentive abuse of firearms. Banning drunk driving of it isn't treating people like children, its punishing people who abuse something potentially very deadly. Its not attacking an object that is only deadly when abused or attacking people who didn't get behind the wheel sloshed to the gills, it goes after people who do the god awfully retarded act of drinking and driving.

As the article states though the fact fewer people are dying from drunk drivers isn't just because of laws but changes in behavior. Just like the fact people still act like inhuman monsters and shoot up schools or theaters or malls despite it being illegal as all hell, people even to this day, probably right this very second as I'm typing and the second when you are reading my probably grammatically unsound ridden words someone is behind the wheel shit faced. Traffic deaths in general are down because of safety measures as you said (I'll get to that more later) but also down because people are driving less and because of new standard technology in motor vehicles. The laws probably helped some but also factors outside just passing laws helped alot too.

But safety measures did help alot all the same. But so does safety measures on firearms. Yes there are legally enforced safety measures for firearms in various districts and even some on the national level. Things like drop safety tests and magazine disconnects are standard is many areas to make firearms safer. NFA weapons like machine guns (actual machine guns, not "assault weapons) and short barrel long guns are extremely heavily restricted on a federal level. Background checks are mandatory on all official gun purchases and any over state lines.

There IS some firearm regulations, there have been efforts to make firearms themselves safer and to make society safer. Maybe not as much as could be done, sure I even think so, but still its disingenuous to say nothing has been done. I'd love for drop tests to be federally mandated and other shit like that.
Why don't we do this with guns? Oh, right, the gun advocates have lobbied to make it illegal for the CDC to study gun violence. Worth noting that guns killed more people last year than cars did, and a hell of a lot more people use cars on a daily basis. Per person-hour of use, cars are literally several orders of magnitude safer than guns, yet - excluding morons - we accept government study and regulation of automobiles at both manufacturer, purchaser, user, and passenger levels as a matter of course. Is that "childish"? Or simply an acknowledgement that some things are dangerous to people? I'd love to propose some gun legislation that would actually reduce gun violence, with evidence to back me up, but I can't really do that, because it's been made illegal to thoroughly study the problem. So, I don't know what we can do to reduce gun violence, other than maybe ask some other countries. Because some countries have way less gun violence than us, and there's no clear trend of economic inequality that explains why it's higher some places than others.

What I do know is that I'm tired of the gun lobby saying there's nothing we can do about the problem.
I've said before I think its shitty the NRA blocking any research into gun violence. Even though I'm heavily pro-gun I still think research into gun violence to find ways of making guns themselves safer and to create smartly crafted laws to make people safer. I'm not against more gun laws, I'm not against more regulation, I'm just against stupid and ineffectual ones that criminalize people who didn't do shit wrong, doesn't make any fucking body safer, and is done for the sole purpose of attacking firearms rather then to actually help people

And I don't know about last year but atleast in 2014 the number of deaths by motor vehicles from what I can find is higher then firearm deaths. Vehicle fatalities were finished at 32,675 while guns had 8,124 homicides. The number is closer to even counting suicides, with the number of firearm related suicides in 2013 (can't find the numbers for 2014) being 21,175, but there is a considerable difference between someone popping themselves on purpose because they wanted to die and someone accidentally or purposely killing themselves and/or others because of drunken or reckless behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... S._by_year
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/c ... 0-2014.xls
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm
http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... ar-deaths/

So cars are still extremely dangerous objects despite all those safety features and laws, more so still then guns. But that ain't me saying (typing) that those laws and safety features are bullshit, no they are good just like I said some more laws and safety features for firearms are good.

Seems like the biggest thing that needs done is dealing with suicides. But of course just banning guns will not stop suicides and will not stop the cause of the suicides. Which has been the point I've been hammering at like a redneck showing his wife how he feels about her burning his bacon lard popcorn.

And I'm not sure what you are going on about with your "no clear trend of economic inequality" to explain why its higher in some places? That is a proven fact gun violence and violence in general that nobody cares about because its not important when someone gets fucked up or killed by a method other then a scary firearm are higher in areas of economic inequality. Poor 3rd world nations where the population is poor as hell, violent as hell. Soviet Russia with its economy in the toilet, murder rate nearly double the US's. Any US city with large economically destitute ghettos, violent crime is common (look to places like Chicago or DC). Economically wasted regions like Appalachian coal belt, violent crime, murder, drugs crimes, all are way way up compared to the days when the economy and job prospects weren't shit. Even some of the less economically developed areas of Europastan where crime remains a problem, where even gun crime is still a problem despite gun bans completely fixing the problem completely and any gun crime in Europe now being completely and udderly imaginary.

Now compare that to areas like the relatively wealthy Eurocommie countries where the wealth is better spread, any upscale areas in the US, wealthier states, rural areas that didn't go down the crapper and so on. Low crime.

Now maybe this is me reaching like a Republican senator in a reststop restroom but it seems to me that wealthier areas, areas with people who aren't in such economic or financial shambles that they are desperate enough to turn to crime........don't have as much crime while areas with people who do not have any financial prospects and have to turn to crime to survive.......have more crime.

Nah, clearly no clear trend of economic inequality to explain why violence is higher in some areas. Nope. Clearly the poorest cities wouldn't have the highest crime rates. Clearly

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/22/ ... n-america/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... _residents

And no thats not an attack on poor people. People gotta do what they gotta do to survive even if it means doing some terrible shit. I ain't saying I approve either but I understand only too well.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

My point if you could read, clearly you can't so clearly you must be a product of American schools, is parts of America are 3rd world countries with the crime levels to match. Some parts of America are economic deadzones, violent warzones, corrupt hellzones, like the Zone from Stalker but with fewer mutants. Some Americans have it so bad they have no choice but to turn to violence to try to survive, to try to eat, to try to pay their rent, because their education and job prospects are so dim they have no chance of ever finding a job, of being a productive member of society.

Its stupid to say "why can't you be more like these Eurocommie cuntries with their universal healthcare, basic income, and less systemic racism" because America with it exceptionalism has in many parts become a 3rd world exception in the 1st world.
Again, what's your point? You're saying large parts of the country are a shithole and acting like it is a) news to people and b) and excuse for a government to take no action over the massive number of people being shot.
And the Europeon relationship with guns is childish. One that treats everyone like children by banning an object from public possession because they can't be trusted with it like they are a bunch of preschoolers having scissors taken away by the teacher because little Timmy was a dickhole with his Hanna Montana scissors. A relationship of fear where people rather then understanding something just want it taken away. The American relationship with firearms is by no means perfect but atleast its a fairly adult relationship where people are trusted with firearms because they are adults until they abuse them.
Except in this example Timmy has cut Marys throat, Dianne is over in the corner cutting herself, the student teacher is strip searching Tina because she's black and had the nerve to bring nail clippers and little Johnny has disfigured 3 students plus the class rabbit and is looking for someone else to carve up. Meanwhile the teacher looks on going "well this is all obviously horrible but I can't do anything about it because their daddies said they were allowed to have scissors. I guess this is just the cost of doing business".

(Also seriously what's with this bugbear about guns being banned in Europe? They aren't banned, they're regulated. I can't think of a singe country in Europe where if you need a gun and can demonstrate a a capacity to take responsibility for it you can't get one. Might be why you don't hear stories about toddlers shooting their mothers with a handgun that 'fell out of her handbag' coming from Norway)
Not doing something right after some cocksuckers shoots up a school ≠ not doing anything.
OK, cool. Care to give me some examples of this great American approach of not half arseing the job? You know, the ones making concrete progress in reducing the murder rate to something the rest of the first world would consider an acceptable level? I'll wait.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

MKSheppard wrote:From Bodymore:

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/balt ... e-shooting
Investigators say 23-year-old Warren was a member of a "hitmen for hire" club and was arrested Tuesday night with two guns on his person.

Police believe he was the only shooter.

At the time of his arrest Warren was on probation for armed robbery and is "a person of interest in more than one crime of violence," Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis noted.

Warren is allegedly part of the "10 Grand Club," which Davis described as "a group that considers themselves bad guys, hitmen for hire."

The shooting happened during a Memorial Day cookout shortly after 3 p.m. on East 43rd Street near York Road. When officers arrived they found four victims with gunshot wounds -- and a fifth was found inside a nearby residence.

Investigators believe the shooting stemmed from an earlier altercation.
I'm sure he had his HQL and had been background checked through 11-jillion databases by MSP.
Continuing this vein, local Baltimore Media got to investigating Mr Warren's background and found:

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/hitm ... nt-charges

---------------------

BALTIMORE (WBFF) -- Police arrested David Warren Wednesday in connection to the quintuple shooting in east Baltimore on Memorial Day.

Warren, 24, has a history of violent crime charges in Baltimore City, but most of the charges have been dismissed.

According to Maryland Judiciary Case Search records, Warren has beaten 10 cases and more than 100 charges, ranging from attempted murder to robbery.

"We don't have more bad guys than usual. We just have more bad guys who, for whatever reason or reasons, aren't facing the consequences that I think normal, everyday people expect them to face," Baltimore City Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said.

Baltimore Police labeled Warren as a 'hired hitman' Wednesday when announcing his arrest.

Davis continued he hopes other parts of the criminal justice system are held to the same standard his department is when it comes to convicting violent repeat offenders.

Attorneys say the city's judicial system is overloaded with cases and defense attorneys use all the methods available to them to get exonerate clients.

"You would think at least at some point or another, (police and prosecutors) would have labeled him as a VROa Violent Repeat Offender," former prosecutor turned defense attorney Kurt Nachtman said. "It's entirely possible that they don't have strong enough cases. It's also entirely possible that he just managed to slip through the cracks on the prosecution side, as well."

Warren is charged with five counts of 1st and 2nd Degree Attempted Murder, 1st and 2nd Degree Assault, and various firearm charges in relation to Monday's shooting.

---------------

You can go look at one of Mr Warren's cases from 2012 here:

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/ca ... ilLoc=DSCR

:angelic:

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:If I wanted to, I could get the GINI coefficients for each state and use that as a predictor variable as well, but I did not think to do so last night.
Just curious; here's the GINI for Maryland 1979-1999:

http://www.mdp.state.md.us/msdc/income_ ... table1.pdf

and crime stats for Maryland 1975-2013 in XLS from the Office of the Governor:

http://www.goccp.maryland.gov/msac/coun ... ebsite.xls

What do your maths say?

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:There are ways to reduce the public health risk from guns that dont require removing that security from law-abiding citizens. Better background checks
Won't work.

Maryland has been 100% UBC for handguns since about 1996 when they ended private sales for handguns.

Sales of handguns by FFLs in Maryland has been 100% registered since about 1966 (Maryland State Police 77R Form).

Marylanders haven't been able to buy handguns in Virginia or Pennsylvania since 1968's GCA, if you want to buy one, it has to be shipped to a Maryland FFL and be registered with the MD State Police (again Maryland State Police 77R Form)
getting rid of open carry (because it permits more rapid risk-assessment, that guy walking down the street with an AR-15 is likely up to no good if doing so is generally illegal), that sort of thing.
Actually, our former Attorney General, Douglas Gansler, said that it was okay for the State of Maryland to sharply restrict concealed carry permits (Maryland has them but you can't get one unless you spend Donald Trump money in Bribes), because according to Gansler, our rights aren't being infringed because in Maryland you can open carry a rifle. :wtf: :angelic:

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Wait times mean that someone who just found out their wife is cheating on them and WANTS a gun to kill her has to wait for one, which for most people will let cooler heads prevail, so long as he is not mad with rage sufficient to lose control and kill her right there with the baseball bat in the closet. With no access to guns at all, he wont fixate on that method and will get creative in the day or so he has to stew in his rage.
Pff. Recent case near me involved a federal cop who was getting a messy divorce from wife.

Wife places restraining order on cop, tells local police all about his guns; local police remove them for "safekeeping"

Link

Wife gets shot in the head a few days later at her school.

Turns out way back when they lived in Arizona/Nevada, Cop bought a handgun in Vegas, and when he came to Maryland a year or so ago, he never registered his .40 Cal BLOCK like he was required to under the 2013 Firearms Safety Act:

A PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE STATE WITH THE INTENT OF BECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL REGULATED FIREARMS WITH THE SECRETARY WITHIN 90 DAYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY.

So when the wife wrote: ".40 caliber handgun", the cops confiscated the guy's .40 Caliber S&W and called it a day.

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Alkaloid wrote:Again, what's your point? You're saying large parts of the country are a shithole and acting like it is a) news to people and b) and excuse for a government to take no action over the massive number of people being shot.
A, it does seem news to people considering people keep saying America should look to Europe to solve their gun violence problem when the violence problems Europe was plagued with that got their bans and the main problem facing America right now, which isn't the mass shootings the "lame stream media" (Zod damn that is such a dumb phrase) tries to paint as the problem, are different. The circumstances are different, the economic situation is different. And the main gun violence problem in America, inner city gun violence, has not been solved in Europe. The main problem with guns themselves, suicide, has not been solved either considering quite a few Europeon countries including Polandball, France, FInland, Based Belgium, and Lithuania all have higher suicide rates then the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate

B, its not a tumor.......I mean an excuse for the gubmint to take no action as I've said multiple times I want the government to take action. Just taking ineffectual action that would not reduce violence, gun violence, or increase public safety as many of the bills floated in the aftermath of the shootings (and before the shootings and every single law making session, but clearly the people are doing it for public safety, clearly) is arguably worse then doing nothing.
Except in this example Timmy has cut Marys throat, Dianne is over in the corner cutting herself, the student teacher is strip searching Tina because she's black and had the nerve to bring nail clippers and little Johnny has disfigured 3 students plus the class rabbit and is looking for someone else to carve up. Meanwhile the teacher looks on going "well this is all obviously horrible but I can't do anything about it because their daddies said they were allowed to have scissors. I guess this is just the cost of doing business".
No the teacher stops Timmy and then blames everyone else for his crime, tries to take away their scissors and completely ignores when Tina kills Jacob because they are both black. And the asshole bully gym teacher named Nick R Allen attempts to stop the teacher from taking away the scissors while also ignoring Tina and Jacob but more then happy to verbally abuse Mikey, the boy who plays with dolls. And nothing gets done because both teachers are taking extreme positions and ignoring a significant portion of the problem.
(Also seriously what's with this bugbear about guns being banned in Europe? They aren't banned, they're regulated. I can't think of a singe country in Europe where if you need a gun and can demonstrate a a capacity to take responsibility for it you can't get one. Might be why you don't hear stories about toddlers shooting their mothers with a handgun that 'fell out of her handbag' coming from Norway)
Sounds like more or less banned with a few exceptions, regulated to the point of being banned except in select circumstances. Thats almost like NFA weapons in the US except anybody can still get those weapons if they pass the rigorous back ground checks and can afford their substantial prices.

Having to demonstrate a need to own something is downright childish, the fact someone has to prove they need it, has to get permission from mummy and daddy to own something, can be denied just on the whim of some governmental idiot is amazingly demeaning. I know for a fact most Eurocommie countries self defense is not a reason to need a gun, for the most part the only reasons someone in most Europeon countries can own a gun is to defend live stock from predators.
OK, cool. Care to give me some examples of this great American approach of not half arseing the job? You know, the ones making concrete progress in reducing the murder rate to something the rest of the first world would consider an acceptable level? I'll wait.
NFA items are restricted, background checks are mandatory on all non-private gun sales and even on private ones over state lines, and beyond that not alot and nothing relatively recently I can think of. Which is a problem but not one that can be solved by half arseing the job the other direction.

More laws aren't going to help much to reduce the murder rate or suicide rate considering as I have shown the suicide rate is higher in some Euro countries and the murder rate isn't significantly lower. A 2nd or possibly 1st world country (I'm not sure if the old political rules of anything Western and a democracy being 1st, any Commie or former commie nation being 2nd, and everyone else being 3rd still apply, I could have swore those definitions have changed to meet economic criteria but I could be mistaken.....hmm steak) of Russia despite having much stricter laws has nearly double the homicide rate. Even in America places with stricter gun laws don't have fewer homicides. DC has some very strict laws and their violent crime rate is 3 times the national average. Chicago despite having some pretty heavy gun laws Doc has a homicide rate usually found in warzones but nobody cares except Spike Lee and nobody cares about Spike Lee.

More laws doesn't mean fewer deaths. Even if more laws were a good things, which some more laws ARE so long as they aren't dumber then a box of Trump voters......or Hillary voters.......or Gary Johnson voters, clearly more then new laws need done. But far more then that needs done.

Ironically America SHOULD look to Europe for that. Europe despite being a somewhat repressive, nanny state with funny accents does have some really really good ideas when it comes to social welfare, police policy, prison systems, and possibly beer. I don't drink beer or any alcohol so I couldn't say but everyone says Euro beer is substantially superior to American beer, with most American beer being fermented piss. Sure smells like piss.