Roman Polanski Finally Arrested.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Re: Roman Polanski Finally Arrested.

Post by SCRawl »

PeZook wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Technically, he "plead guilty to sex with a minor".
Ah, so he wasn't actually sentenced?
No, that's why he left town: he was afraid of the sentence that the judge was going to impose. He thought that he was going to get little more than the slap on the wrist he'd already received. I think that he weighed the consequences of exile from America against years in "pound me in the ass" prison and, well, the rest is history.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

It seems that he wasn't. AFAIK He plead guilty, was sent for a psychiatric evaluation to Chino State Prison. He spent 42 days there and all reports that were released indicated that he should not be incarcerated. In fact, he was supposed to go on probation - and Polansky admittedly was okay with that.

He fled from US to UK and later to France when LA DDA told his lawyers that he insists to put Polansky in jail.

Of course I cannot verify how much of the above is actually true, since most info we have today is based on articles in newspapers and magazines. And there are shit-faced bastards among journalists too.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PeZook wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Technically, he "plead guilty to sex with a minor".
Ah, so he wasn't actually sentenced?
Correct. Between the time he pled guilty and the scheduled hearing for his sentencing he fled the country.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The man might actually be ill of course, but then again considering his past it's a fair bet he'll do anything not to get extradited... He might just be using the Pinochet defense; claim "I'm too old/weak/sickly to stand trial!" in order to get out of prison and into a hospital, presumably followed by a quick race to the nearest border with France.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

He was denied bail, and will have to continue staying in prison (he wanted house arrest), because of the flight risk he poses.