Reports of Chechen authorities order families to kill LGBT relatives/pay ransoms for the release of LGBT family members.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Reports of Chechen authorities order families to kill LGBT relatives/pay ransoms for the release of LGBT family memb

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-22 01:30pm Or just reign in their Chechen lackies. Although I also think that realistically, Hell will freeze over before Russia does anything serious to mitigate or end this.
This is rather unrealistic, because the whole thing is controlled by a warlord. Remove him and his loyal men, and the region will likely break off or degenerate into more civil violence again. Or you can use a military solution, but then the outcry would be much greater, we are talking something like Third Chechen War..
Putin's Russia is likewise an overtly homophobic state, albeit Chechnya seems to have taken it to a new level.
It is no wonder. Chechnya is not much different from other Islamic nations in Central Asia. If anything, it is on the same level of hostility towards LGBT.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Reports of Chechen authorities order families to kill LGBT relatives/pay ransoms for the release of LGBT family memb

Post by The Romulan Republic »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-01-22 01:45pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-22 01:30pm Or just reign in their Chechen lackies. Although I also think that realistically, Hell will freeze over before Russia does anything serious to mitigate or end this.
This is rather unrealistic, because the whole thing is controlled by a warlord. Remove him and his loyal men, and the region will likely break off or degenerate into more civil violence again. Or you can use a military solution, but then the outcry would be much greater, we are talking something like Third Chechen War..
I'll concede to your greater knowledge of the region on this point, although were it my own country, I would say that some things are worth fighting a war over, and upholding the state's authority to intervene to prevent what amounts to the genocide of its citizens is one of them.
It is no wonder. Chechnya is not much different from other Islamic nations in Central Asia. If anything, it is on the same level of hostility towards LGBT.
Not surprising, no. Appalling, but not surprising.

Then again, Christianity was doing this shit (and still is, in some places) up until a few decades ago, so let's not treat it as a specifically Muslim problem.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Christianity is actually almost a non-entity in heavily secular states. Thankfully it is very weak, incomparable in terms of political influence relative to Wahhabite Sunni Islam, which dominates the war-torn region.

But a war in Chechnya... most non-Chechens / non-Ingush already have left the place (were pushed out over the course of two wars, much like ethnic cleansing in the Yugoslav wars), so it will be a very tough sell to the population.

Russians never came back after the purge in Chechnya. If the state could not provide security for its dominant ethnicity, then I am afraid it cannot do the same for subjects of Kadyrov’s little bandit fiefdom.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali