Doug Jones beats Roy Moore

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doug Jones beats Roy Moore

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-12-30 03:07pm Indeed. Soon we'll see the generation of party people who came up under Reagan too. It's going to be a long and ugly legacy of letting Nixon walk.

The darkly curious side of me wonders just how horrific someone could be and not actually have a decent chance of winning an election. Moore was a slavery advocate and paedophile, and nearly got there. Trump... well we all saw that.
I think pretty much all that's left is "openly avowed member of the Klan or a Neo-Nazi group". Or "filmed committing rape/committing murder/using the N-word".

A Muslim terrorist would be right out, but not because they're murderous lunatics- just because they're the wrong kind of murderous lunatics for the American Right.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-12-30 03:07pm Indeed. Soon we'll see the generation of party people who came up under Reagan too. It's going to be a long and ugly legacy of letting Nixon walk.

The darkly curious side of me wonders just how horrific someone could be and not actually have a decent chance of winning an election. Moore was a slavery advocate and paedophile, and nearly got there. Trump... well we all saw that.
It all depends on the district. Moore was basically -30 points, -20 before the pedobear shit came out. In the vast majority of red states and districts, they lack margins with enough padding to let someone like him come even close. Close victory of a GOP candidate for statewide office in Alabama is a crushing rebuke. Any defeat is a gigantic one. Would that there was a midterm full of Roy Moore’s even minus the pedophilia.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I wouldn't wish for men like Moore to run against, because, much like Donald Trump, sometimes the unthinkable candidate who's a sure loss actually, you know, wins. And then we have to deal with them being in office. Plus every time someone like that even comes close, it further corrodes the reputation of American democracy and public trust in our government.

All that said... yeah. Narrowly losing in Alabama means he gets curb-stomped almost anywhere else. If Roy Moore is a sign of things to come, 2018 is going to be a really damn ugly year for the Republicans.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer party.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The old guard (read: probably baby boomers) are lashing out against Millennial Republicans who pulled support for Moore.
Roy Moore’s election loss is in the books but the fallout is still roiling Alabama Republicans, who were deeply divided over the flawed candidate they put forward — and voters rejected.

The state party’s old-school conservatives stuck with Mr. Moore amid reports of sexual assault and that he pursued sexual relationships with teen girls while he was in his 30s, even as younger Republicans balked, withdrawing their support.

Now the old guard is mulling over payback, with one Republican suggesting the Young Republican Federation of Alabama, or YRFA, should lose its seat on the state GOP’s 21-member steering committee.

The main combatants have gone quiet ahead of a pivotal party meeting in late February.

Gina Grant, head of the Talladega Republicans and the sponsor of the attempt to strip the young Republicans of their seat, didn’t respond to repeated requests to talk from The Washington Times. Neither did Jackie Curtiss, chairwoman of the Young Republican Federation of Alabama.

But the youth group is still pursuing the battle over election blame online, recently taking to Facebook to post a meme of a cartoon of a dog sitting inside a burning building with a speech bubble that says “This is fine.” Above the Facebook post it read: “Republicans who think we need more candidates like Roy Moore.”

“I can guarantee you there will be another fight somewhere for sure,” said Cody Holt, a member of the Birmingham Young Republicans, an arm of the YRFA. “For a long time after we pulled our support for Roy Moore there was a feeling we had a target on our back and getting stripped of that seat was a real possibility.”

Ms. Grant’s attempt to strip the young Republicans of their seat has been put on hold, but could resurface during the Alabama GOP’s two-day winter meeting in Montgomery, which is set to kick off on Feb. 23.

Terry Lathan, chairwoman of the state Republican Party, declined to talk on “internal” party matters.

As questions surged about Mr. Moore ahead of the election and Republicans in Washington urged him to drop out, the GOP steering committee announced it was sticking by the embattled candidate.

The Young Republican Federation of Alabama, though, went in the opposite direction, calling on Mr. Moore to step aside if he was unable to refute all the allegations against him.

Ms. Lathan downplayed the break prior the election on Twitter, saying the decision was out of line with the base of the party.

Things have been “very tense” since, according to Mr. Holt, who said members of the older generation feel betrayed by the younger folks’ decision to distance themselves from Mr. Moore. Meanwhile, the younger Republicans feel the party embarrassed itself by sticking with Mr. Moore.

“The state party still hasn’t apologized,” Mr. Holt said. “They haven’t acknowledged the fact that they had a terrible candidate.”

Exit polls showed Democrat Doug Jones had a 23 percentage point edge among voters between the ages of 18 and 44. Mr. Moore enjoyed a 10 point lead among voters at least 45 years of age.

David Wisdom, a member of the Greater Birmingham Young Republicans who co-hosts a “Young Alabama” podcast, said both sides need to look for common ground, and warned against party payback.

“It is just not smart to alienate the younger portion of your voters because of down the road,” Mr. Wisdom said. “I am thinking about the party’s health 20 or 30 years from now, and if we alienated the young people now we will not have party.”

The fight is similar to a battle within the Alabama GOP five years ago after Stephanie Petelos, then-chair of the Alabama Federation of College Republicans, publicly embraced same-sex marriage in the wake of a Supreme Court decision striking down key parts of the Defense of Marriage Act.

Ms. Petelos said more people would come out in favor of same-sex marriage if “they didn’t live in fear of backlash from party leaders.”

The party responded by taking up a proposal that would bar any member of the steering committee from staking out positions that run contrary to the GOP platform, including on traditional marriage.

The effort, which ultimately failed, was backed by then state party chairman Bill Armistead, who went on to become Mr. Moore’s campaign manager.
Republicans: when someone tries to right the boat before it capsizes, throw them overboard.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That millennial Republicans backed Moor is deeply disturbing. It means that the Republican Party is getting MORE crazy, not less, with the younger generations- that it is likely to continue morphing into an outright Nazi Rape Party.

In other words, it confirms what I've been thinking for a while: there is no saving or reforming the Republican Party. It must be beaten, and broken, utterly and at every turn (preferably through legal/democratic methods), if any semblance of democracy in this country is to survive.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-01-09 03:34pmThat millennial Republicans backed Moor is deeply disturbing. It means that the Republican Party is getting MORE crazy, not less, with the younger generations- that it is likely to continue morphing into an outright Nazi Rape Party.
"The state party’s old-school conservatives stuck with Mr. Moore amid reports of sexual assault and that he pursued sexual relationships with teen girls while he was in his 30s, even as younger Republicans balked, withdrawing their support."
In other words, it confirms what I've been thinking for a while: there is no saving or reforming the Republican Party. It must be beaten, and broken, utterly and at every turn (preferably through legal/democratic methods), if any semblance of democracy in this country is to survive.
You're drunk, go home.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-01-09 03:36pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-01-09 03:34pmThat millennial Republicans backed Moor is deeply disturbing. It means that the Republican Party is getting MORE crazy, not less, with the younger generations- that it is likely to continue morphing into an outright Nazi Rape Party.
"The state party’s old-school conservatives stuck with Mr. Moore amid reports of sexual assault and that he pursued sexual relationships with teen girls while he was in his 30s, even as younger Republicans balked, withdrawing their support."
Okay, I completely misread that. My apologies.
You're drunk, go home.
[/quote]

Quite sober. Just sleep-deprived and distracted.

Though, I actually stand by my view that the Republican Party is beyond saving (and does not deserve saving), since it was based on far more than one post.

My hope would be that the young Millenial Republicans (and any others) who aren't completely insane would either jump ship to the Democrats, or to a third party. If the Greedy Old Perverts Party finally collapses, then the Democrats would likely split into a Centre Right party, and a progressive party, both of which would support civil rights and social justice, with the primary disagreements being over foreign policy and economics. Which I think would be a much healthier political environment for our country, and a much safer one for the world.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Or both: we could have a Sane GOP and "not shit" Democrats. The GOP has always been salvageable, it's just deep in the cronism: "The fight is similar to a battle within the Alabama GOP five years ago after Stephanie Petelos, then-chair of the Alabama Federation of College Republicans, publicly embraced same-sex marriage in the wake of a Supreme Court decision striking down key parts of the Defense of Marriage Act.

Ms. Petelos said more people would come out in favor of same-sex marriage if “they didn’t live in fear of backlash from party leaders.”"

The difference is that Democrats don't pander to a base that hates gays with a burning passion. When enough of that base finally just. fucking. dies (thanks Obamacare....) you'll have more progress. There are more socially regressive morons being born each day, but from all my reading: they just can't outbreed other millennial who couldn't care less about what X group is doing in their free-time.