Obama considers protecting Native American site; conservatives disapprove

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Obama considers protecting Native American site; conservatives disapprove

Post by Knife »

Utah has been on a big kick the last 5-10 years about how Utah should own Utah and 'take back' our lands from the Feds. This factors into it, most State politicians give lip service to it in election years.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

SCRawl wrote:It seems as though Patroklos has pointed out that an Executive Order protecting a greater area is just a paper tiger without the funds and manpower to back it up. And I don't read anything in the article about more of either of these being forthcoming. Perhaps funding is implicit with declaring it a national monument, I confess that I don't know that.
I assume it is. And even were it not, it puts the shitheels who violate the land in federal court. And if this is just "this is our land, fuck off Feds" like Knife said it might be, then all the more fucks to them.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

SCRawl wrote:It seems as though Patroklos has pointed out that an Executive Order protecting a greater area is just a paper tiger without the funds and manpower to back it up. And I don't read anything in the article about more of either of these being forthcoming. Perhaps funding is implicit with declaring it a national monument, I confess that I don't know that.

Funding is implicit.

Right now, it is the BLM that has jurisdiction over that area because it is basically federal trust land as far as I can tell (designated a Primitive Area, which is probably why the two guys are stationed there). But the BLM is not huge and it has to cover a lot of land. National Monuments are under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, which has better funding (almost triple BLM's budget) and MUCH less area to cover under its aegis. In addition, the area is already bordered by Natural Bridges National Monument and Canyonlands National Park, which just means that the NPS expands its current operation a little bit. The area is already pretty remote and accessible only by forest roads and the road to Natural Bridges. This makes the area easy to control access to. I have looked at the proposal map, and the way it is structured, you also get the Forest Service involved, because it contains a national forest within it. The USFWS also gets brought in because their goals are ALSO the protection of wildlife and plants.

Most people are law-abiding as well. Much of the protection from grave robbery and site desecration will happen on its own. People dont think much of grabbing stuff off trust land. "Oh look, an arrowhead" and they pick it up, or they write their name on a rock or something. On trust land, that is not a problem. Designate a place a National Monument, and people know and will quietly accept that they are not supposed to fuck with shit.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est