Is Donald Drumpf racist?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Is Donald Drumpf racist?

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:I wouldn't go as far as claiming that it is racist, just that using it resembles some of the anti-German racist behaviour of the past and that I would not use it for that reason alone.

It doesn't go as far as "Washington Redskins" to me btu I do think it is in bad taste.
Yeah, basically this. I heard enough stories from my grandfather of the shit he got for being second generation German-American (with a forcibly anglicized name) during WW2, so it kind of pisses me off personally.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Purple wrote:All I am saying is that if you dislike someone because he acts a certain way and than you show your dislike of him by acting in that exact same way this tells something about you as a person.
Except for the fact that John Oliver is a comedian rather than a presidential candidate. He doesn't have to be dignified.
That... and the fact that when certain folks try to be the better man, be above it all, and not dignify the attacks with a response or counter attack, they end up in the defensive and lose elections. See John Kerry and the Swift boat attacks.

You folks appear to have a short-memory span.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

ArmorPierce wrote:That... and the fact that when certain folks try to be the better man, be above it all, and not dignify the attacks with a response or counter attack, they end up in the defensive and lose elections. See John Kerry and the Swift boat attacks.

What does that have to do with anything? How does someones personal success being on the line lower the standard he sets for him self in our eyes? Why should such a person get a free pass? Not to mention that a certain comedian and indeed all the people doing this are not running for office and that the people who are aren't the ones doing it.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Purple wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:That... and the fact that when certain folks try to be the better man, be above it all, and not dignify the attacks with a response or counter attack, they end up in the defensive and lose elections. See John Kerry and the Swift boat attacks.

What does that have to do with anything? How does someones personal success being on the line lower the standard he sets for him self in our eyes? Why should such a person get a free pass? Not to mention that a certain comedian and indeed all the people doing this are not running for office and that the people who are aren't the ones doing it.
It gives him a free pass due to the fact that he is engaging in a parody of how ridiculous the concept is genius. John Oliver does not genuinely believe the statements that he is making. He is saying it to mock Donald Trump for how ridiculous he is and demonstrate what a dumb ass he is

This is not a free pass to engage in racism... the point was never racist in the first place, it was to respond to racism and hypocritical double-standard while mocking for him.

If you were making assertions that all Mexicans are illegal immigrants and they should go back to their country, and then it came out that your grandfather was a illegal immigrant and I in response yelled at you mockingly to go back to your country, does that make me the actual racist?

And please, lets stop engaging in this fantasy of Germans being victims of racism in America. German is the largest ancestry group for Americans period. If we are going to go down that route we can pretty much say every group and person was racist against every other group and person... or that the original British colonists were racist against more recent British colonist arrivals (sounds ridiculous doesn't it?)... the term racism effectively loses all meaning at that point.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

ArmorPierce wrote:If we are going to go down that route we can pretty much say every group and person was racist against every other group
I thought that was a running theme throughout most of your history. In addition to the lot occasionally uniting in racism against the natives.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Pointing it out that Trumps family immigrated from Europe (duh) and had a funny sounding name that was anglicized and making fun of it in response to his racism by parody/satire/mocking is fine until it becomes the de facto way you spell/say his name.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I personally prefer, "Donny Jingles." It just makes me smile.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I'd call him Donny Dumptruck, but 'Dumptruck" is reserved for Poe. :twisted:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

ArmorPierce wrote:
Tanasinn wrote:No. Which is part of why John Oliver's meme never really took off outside of tumblr spamming it and the occasional subreddit.
That's not what happened. Donald Trump was mocking Jon Stewart for angolizing his name. The whole Drumpf thing started as a response to Donald Trump's mocking and pointing out that Donald Trump's own family changed their name. Also, I think it is related to the fact that 'Drumpf' kind of looks like 'Dumb'

http://gawker.com/donald-trump-lashes-o ... -489657795
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -name.html
The only bigotry in this whole spat is the not-so-subtle anti-Semitism of Trump attacking Jon Stewart for not keeping his family name, Liebowitz. Herr Drumpf and his Jew-baiting minions can fuck right off.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Flagg wrote:I'd call him Donny Dumptruck, but 'Dumptruck" is reserved for Poe. :twisted:
What Poe are you referring to?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Flagg wrote:I'd call him Donny Dumptruck, but 'Dumptruck" is reserved for Poe. :twisted:
What Poe are you referring to?
Ask Havok. :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Elfdart wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:
Tanasinn wrote:No. Which is part of why John Oliver's meme never really took off outside of tumblr spamming it and the occasional subreddit.
That's not what happened. Donald Trump was mocking Jon Stewart for angolizing his name. The whole Drumpf thing started as a response to Donald Trump's mocking and pointing out that Donald Trump's own family changed their name. Also, I think it is related to the fact that 'Drumpf' kind of looks like 'Dumb'

http://gawker.com/donald-trump-lashes-o ... -489657795
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -name.html
The only bigotry in this whole spat is the not-so-subtle anti-Semitism of Trump attacking Jon Stewart for not keeping his family name, Liebowitz. Herr Drumpf and his Jew-baiting minions can fuck right off.
I find it very amusing that folks are making assertions of Anglo-Saxon racism against germanic people when the term Anglo-Saxon refers to the Germanic people and culture that invaded and became the dominant culture in the UK.

It's kind of like calling a Jew or a Palestinian a racist anti-Semite... you can call it classism, or perhaps nationalism, but calling it racism is just silly.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ArmorPierce wrote:I find it very amusing that folks are making assertions of Anglo-Saxon racism against germanic people when the term Anglo-Saxon refers to the Germanic people and culture that invaded and became the dominant culture in the UK.

It's kind of like calling a Jew or a Palestinian a racist anti-Semite... you can call it classism, or perhaps nationalism, but calling it racism is just silly.
This is not talking about Anglo-Saxons, (besides, anybody with a knowledge of history knows Germanic people =/= Germans). What we are talking about is the kind of racism against German immigrants that happened in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Whose cases are well documented had you bothered to do a little google search before looking like an utter idiot.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Thanas wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:I find it very amusing that folks are making assertions of Anglo-Saxon racism against germanic people when the term Anglo-Saxon refers to the Germanic people and culture that invaded and became the dominant culture in the UK.

This is not talking about Anglo-Saxons, (besides, anybody with a knowledge of history knows Germanic people =/= Germans). What we are talking about is the kind of racism against German immigrants that happened in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Whose cases are well documented had you bothered to do a little google search before looking like an utter idiot.
Allow me to attempt to explain this in terms that your feeble mind can digest.

1. German is the number 1 ancestry group in America in terms of population size. Youre assertion is that the older American Germans were exercising racism against more recent German arrivals.

2. German is a nationality, not a race. Racially, they were the same as the then dominant American population. Your claim that people are expressing racism against Germans is retarded and a fantasy. You can claim classism, or even nationalism, but racism does not make sense.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Racism is not something that can be changed by simply assimilating to the dominant culture.

For instance, German immigrants were able to assimilate to American culture to the point that forget that German is the dominant population in terms of ancestry group size.

In contrast, the Cherokee, who despite having assimilated and adopted American customs and beliefs, were still forced on to the trail of tears.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You are being a fucking idiot. By your argument there was also no racism against the Irish either. Newsflash - everybody who has ever emigrated to the USA en masse has been a subject of racism. The accounts of racism vs German immigrants are well documented as well. Quite frankly, you are the same kind of idiot as those who go "Islam is a religion, not a race, thus there can be no racism vs muslims".
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Thanas wrote:You are being a fucking idiot. By your argument there was also no racism against the Irish either. Newsflash - everybody who has ever emigrated to the USA en masse has been a subject of racism. The accounts of racism vs German immigrants are well documented as well. Quite frankly, you are the same kind of idiot as those who go "Islam is a religion, not a race, thus there can be no racism vs muslims".
German is the largest American ancestry group and Irish is the second largest ancestry group.

Yes! That's not racism! If both are actually the same race and would be indistinguishable by changing your name then that's not racism. Calling that racism cheapens what actual victims of racism experience.

People who say that about Islam are factually correct, you can't be racist against religion! You can discriminate against a religion, and be racist against adherent groups of the religion.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ArmorPierce wrote:Yes! That's not racism! If both are actually the same race and would be indistinguishable by changing your name then that's not racism. Calling that racism cheapens what actual victims of racism experience.
So,let me ask you something. You are claiming that what the Irish faced is not racism because Irish and WASPs are the same race? So you would agree that the policies of the nazis were not racist because German Jews and German Nazis were of the same race?

You seem to be hung up on biology when even somebody as out of touch with knowledge as you should know that racism actually does not mean discrimination of the biological category "race", but of the political category "race".

For example, if I say that all turks are shit-eating donkey-fucking imbeciles, that would be racist. It would be just as racist if a Turkmen from Syria would say it despite being of the same biological race. If a Frenchmen would say Germans are Nazi-worshipping cretins, it would still be racist. Get it?
------------
------------
My LPs
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

ArmorPierce wrote:
Thanas wrote:You are being a fucking idiot. By your argument there was also no racism against the Irish either. Newsflash - everybody who has ever emigrated to the USA en masse has been a subject of racism. The accounts of racism vs German immigrants are well documented as well. Quite frankly, you are the same kind of idiot as those who go "Islam is a religion, not a race, thus there can be no racism vs muslims".
German is the largest American ancestry group and Irish is the second largest ancestry group.

Yes! That's not racism! If both are actually the same race and would be indistinguishable by changing your name then that's not racism. Calling that racism cheapens what actual victims of racism experience.

People who say that about Islam are factually correct, you can't be racist against religion! You can discriminate against a religion, and be racist against adherent groups of the religion.
I just needed to comment on the accusation that the Irish were never victims of "real" racism.

Once upon a time, Irish immigrants were considered to be lazy, shiftless thugs, so sub-human that they almost qualified as an entirely separate species, let alone race. Political cartoons by people like Nast depicted them as ape-like and inherently criminal. Right-wing nativists like the Know-Nothings wanted them barred from entering the country because they viewed the Irish as an unruly mob bringing crime and drugs (some of which still survives today with the "alcoholic Irishman" stereotype), refusing to assimilate into American society, and practicing a degenerate alien religion. Any of this starting to sound familiar?

At its worst, racism against the Irish contained elements of the exact same bigotry you see directed at black people, Mexicans, and Muslims today. And that's not even getting into how the British treated the Irish during that same time period.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Just because Germans are the largest ancestry group now, doesn't mean they were then. And even if they were, there was a very large "native born" vs "immigrant" prejudice at the time. I mean in WWI there was an attack on everything "German" in the US, this is historical fact. It may have largely been nationalist, but there was racism at play, too.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw