Firing range instructor dies after 9-year-old girl shoots hi

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Firing range instructor dies after 9-year-old girl shoot

Post by Batman »

I'm not sure about 'better' but it certainly would have been safer.
Why do civilians (leave alone kids) need access to automatic weapons again?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Batman wrote:I'm not sure about 'better' but it certainly would have been safer.
The reasons tend to boil down to "we like them" or "because people we dislike* have them too."

*This can include criminals, police, the government, or whomever one has deemed a gun-worthy threat.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Batman wrote:I'm not sure about 'better' but it certainly would have been safer.
You've got the question backwards. The question you should be asking is "Why do civilians need to not have access to automatic weapons?" And if your answer is "because automatic weapons in civilian hands are a significant danger" then you should know whether or not that is actually true. Automatic weapons have been regulated since the Prohibition, became even more heavily regulated despite all the evidence suggesting that the previous regulations were sufficient, and unless there have been more incidents in the past eighty years than the four I'm familiar with, it would suggest that they really aren't something to worry about.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LaCroix wrote:Even if it were a single shot this is a 9mm weapon - the recoil would be already hard to deal for a kid that age, and even grown up people have hurt themselves when underestimating/being surprised by recoil.
^ This.

I was a full grown adult when I first fired a gun and the gentleman instructing me was cautious about starting me on low-powered guns first and gradually working my way up to more powerful weapons. Even if you're cautioned and prepared recoil very much can surprise you. In the thread I made awhile back discussing the possibility of a gun purchase there was a lot of discussion about being physically able to handle a particular weapon.

I'm OK with teaching a 9 year old about guns, but traditionally a kid that young fires something like .22.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Only in 'MURICA would someone think that this was a brilliant idea.
To be fair – most Americans also think was a stupid idea.
GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Like I said, it's the 18th century mentality at work. Back in those days, on the frontier, a boy could be expected to help provide for his family by shooting small game for the pot.
Actually, in my area – within spitting distance of the third largest city in the US, remember – boys were shooting small game for the family up to the 1960's, a lot of my contemporaries around here would take their .22s to school and leave them in the coat room, with the idea being they could bag a rabbit or the like going to or from (if they got something prior to school it would also hang in the coat room until time to go home). Although, again, the boys were using .22 single-shots, not Uzis.
I'd argue they don't need access, and in many places they effectively don't have access. That's why this is a story you hear from Arizona, not, say, Massachusetts.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I will also point out that despite WV being a very solid NRA supporting state, there's nothing like Bullets & Burgers here. Guns are something you're trained in by your father, your uncle, or other male relative when you're 8-10yrs old. You're taught not just how, but when, where and why to shoot. BB-guns and Airsofts lead to .22s and .410s. Then you get into the 30-aughts and other deer rifles. It's not unusal for a boy to have his first deer by age 13.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Is it bad that my immediate reaction was that this man deserved a Darwin Award? Though the majority of the blame should be on the parents who thought this was a good idea as well as the range for failing to have age restrictions.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:Is it bad that my immediate reaction was that this man deserved a Darwin Award? Though the majority of the blame should be on the parents who thought this was a good idea as well as the range for failing to have age restrictions.
No, the majority of the blame lies on him - he was the instructor for this child, he himself switched to full auto, he stood at the wrong position, he didn't take a hold on the gun for safety. All his own fault.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

LaCroix wrote:
Adamskywalker007 wrote:Is it bad that my immediate reaction was that this man deserved a Darwin Award? Though the majority of the blame should be on the parents who thought this was a good idea as well as the range for failing to have age restrictions.
No, the majority of the blame lies on him - he was the instructor for this child, he himself switched to full auto, he stood at the wrong position, he didn't take a hold on the gun for safety. All his own fault.
Someone said "Guns don't kill gun nuts, Darwinism does."
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.