The North Carolina GOP wants to establish a religion

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Scrib
Jedi Knight

Re: The North Carolina GOP wants to establish a religion

Post by Scrib »

Simon_Jester wrote:Personally, I think anyone should be allowed to pray in school as long as they're not disruptive (no incense candles, etc.) But teachers shouldn't be leading mass prayers; that is not in our job description.
My school had a simple "ten seconds of silence to pray or meditate in your own way" policy during assembly. Of course, people from theoretical religions that needed to make loud noises or gesticulate or move up and down out of their seats were fucked but we never had those.

It seemed to work fine.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Simon_Jester wrote:Personally, I think anyone should be allowed to pray in school as long as they're not disruptive (no incense candles, etc.)
Isn't this already how it works? Every time I've seen people complain about how prayer is banned, they're either basing it off hearsay or confusing the banning of teacher-led prayer with the banning of individual student prayer.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Jesus fuck. NC is completely controlled now by the GOP, so there's this. Now they just proposed a bill to raise taxes on parents if their students register to vote at their colleges.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

They also have in motion a bill to ban non-gender specific housing (set up to make life easier for LGBTQ, especially the TQ part) at state colleges, despite the board of trustees having approved it and the state congress having no say in this sort of thing normally. One of the three proposers there was even a Democrat, just to make it worse.

For the college vote bill, this article has a quote that's quite frankly incredible:
Jay DeLancy of the NC Voter Integrity Project also voiced support for the student voting restrictions, citing a case in which college students in Buncombe County changed the outcome of a race for a county commission seat in 2012.

"That race showed how easily college students can be manipulated like pawns," DeLancy said in a press release. "These bills will protect students from such abuse."
So apparently this bill is to prevent students from risk of the literal terrible abuse of being able to vote for Democrats.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Dalton wrote:Jesus fuck. NC is completely controlled now by the GOP, so there's this. Now they just proposed a bill to raise taxes on parents if their students register to vote at their colleges.
Well, to be honest, what do you expect when the previous governor says things like
N.C. Gov. Bev Perdue wrote:I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that
There seems to be a fair amount of stupid down there - and not just limited to the GOP.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Dalton wrote:Jesus fuck. NC is completely controlled now by the GOP, so there's this. Now they just proposed a bill to raise taxes on parents if their students register to vote at their colleges.
On top of a bill to reduce early voting hours and sunday voting. They're not even trying to hide their plan to keep control of the state government by making it harder to vote against them.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:
CaiusWickersham wrote:Also, there was a time when the states had established churches. Madison hoped that movement of citizens between the states would eventually lead to their disestablishment as the states accepted the notion of freedom of conscience and the "we won't stop you" attitude of the Establishment Clause.
There was also a time when the states only allowed people who met a property requirement to vote; the times, they are a-changing.
Not to mention that among the said voter's property had to be a firmly attached penis. No vaginas allowed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

Two words for y'all: Bible Belt. Three if you insert any of the following terms in front of it:

Idiotic
Moronic
Stupid
Dumb
Ignorant
(etc...)

My apologies in advance to any sane, free-thinking humans that still exist in those areas. :wink: Unfortuately, I can't claim that Alaska is that much better. After all, we got Sarah Palin to deal with... :?
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

CaiusWickersham wrote:
Terralthra wrote:It doesn't, actually. Nowhere in the Constitution does it outright say "the Supreme Court shall decide if laws are constitutional." The Supreme Court decided in Marbury v. Madison that they had that power. The doctrine of judicial review was widely practiced and accepted before that, but it is not explicit.
No, Marbury was the first time the Supreme Court reviewed an executive act that was part of the pissing match between the Federalists and Democratic-Republican parties. The power of judicial review had always been assumed in the colonies (including North Carolina) and was accepted during the Constitution's ratification.
Yes, exactly - it was assumed. It is not explicit in the Constitution.

As an aside, court cases are properly italicized, not underlined.
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

Italics can be easily missed, especially in the middle of long paragraphs. It's been my practice to underline after a law professor complained about it and no judge I've filed motions with has ever complained.

Anyway, looks like the bill is dead. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... 16154.html
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Well, North Carolina is in the midst of a the same horrifying (to the GOP) demographic shift that occurred in Virginia starting about 10 years ago, where well-educated northern liberals poured into the suburbs of major metropolitan areas in great enough numbers to change the political landscape of the state. Virginia is now a solidly purple state, and North Carolina could go that way with another decade of liberal influx. They have to try to get all this crap in while they still can.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Alferd Packer wrote:Well, North Carolina is in the midst of a the same horrifying (to the GOP) demographic shift that occurred in Virginia starting about 10 years ago, where well-educated northern liberals poured into the suburbs of major metropolitan areas in great enough numbers to change the political landscape of the state. Virginia is now a solidly purple state, and North Carolina could go that way with another decade of liberal influx. They have to try to get all this crap in while they still can.
Actually NC has really weird politics. At the national level we've been a red state now shifting blue/purple, but at the state level NC has for decades been a solid "blue" state. Not so much because a majority of the voters support a liberal ideology, but because the democrats have been been more powerful as a party (complete with some blatant gerrymandering). This finally broke in 2010 when the anti-democrat backlash at the national level got state republicans enough seats to control the legislature, but until this year we had a democrat for a governor and the republicans didn't have a veto-proof majority. She decided not to run in 2012 (not surprisingly after having to spend the past two years fighting desperately just to keep things from getting worse), and the republicans won the election. Now for the first time in decades the republican party has a solid majority in the legislature and a governor who is little more than a rubber stamp for the most conservative elements of the party.

So, less "get this done while we can" and more "we're finally in power, time to do everything we've waited 50 years to do".
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

TimothyC wrote:
N.C. Gov. Bev Perdue wrote:I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that
There seems to be a fair amount of stupid down there - and not just limited to the GOP.
I actually could get behind that proposal if not for the fact that there are so many tea party republicans in congress right now. An extra two years, for congressmen to actually get stuff done instead of worrying about elections would do a whole lot of good.

I would also, instead support the President having the power to dissolve Congress, a la many parliamentary democracies, but that is just a crazy pipe dream.
Last edited by Dalton on 2013-04-10 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote attribution.