Who's nervous about this war?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

But what good is an organization (UN) that cannot or will not support its own many resolutions?? The Un needs to be restructured as a global Salvation army or Red cross not a enforcement group.. To many nations including theUS puting self-intrest first..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Not nervous at all. Iraq has no real defense ability, the U.S. can bomb them into the stone age if need be, chemical/bio weapons are unlikely. City hard points can be hit with precision bombs, artillery, or whatever else the U.S. wants to throw at them..... just saddened that five years from now, more people will have died from this course of action, then by forced inspections. Sure people will have a sense of "see Saddam isn't around isn't this great!", but that sense of relief, that quest for "justice" was at the expense of many innocent lives.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Wilsonian idealism led to the League of Nations, not the bloodshed itself - That just led to a desire to exact the revenge which, ironically, would have removed Germany's ability to rearm like it did thanks to Wilson's attempts at compromise.

Furthermore, the international system of the 19th century worked just fine. The peace of the Vienna Congress lasted for an entire century, and had no formal international body to back it up, just informal meetings between diplomats of sovereign nations. In comparison, the League of Nations lasted two decades, and the UN, it appears, will last somewhat less than six.

The amount of bloodshed in the First World War was less than that in the ideological war that followed it, and much was caused by the stalemate, which was partially a cause of British entry, and partially a cause of the technology of the time.

The way politics were handled back then was not to blame. The system itself worked just fine; nothing is going to eliminate all war.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Baghdad doesn't seem to be doin too well- from Robert Fisk (interviewed Osama Bin Laden on occasion)

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/mid ... ory=388279
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Re: Who's nervous about this war?

Post by Zoink »

Trytostaydead wrote: Plus, all our "allies" are abandoning us, and tensions are heating up all over the world over possible terrorist strikes or other wars...
Contrary to all the CNN hype, america's allies would never abandon the U.S.

Even countries like France aren't "anti-US", they are against the current administrations position on how Iraq should be dealt with, they're in agreement with the large section of the US population who think the same way (are these americans "traitors"?).

CNN seems unable to grasp the concept of France not wanting Iraq to use chemical weapons against US troops, or wanting to help (including $$$) rebuild Iraq.... its because they're goal all along was to disarm Iraq, and to help the Iraqi situation, not be anti-US. Their position was influenced by internal politics, as was the US position, as is every country's position.

As for terrorist threats, I agree that the threat will go up. You can only hope that the terrorist infrastructure was been sufficiently damaged that large scale attacks are not possible.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: nothing is going to eliminate all war.

That's why the rabid peace position is undefendable. But the necessity or inevitability of war doesn't, by itself, justify all wars.
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Post by Sienthal »

If nothing else I can be worried about, I'm worried about hown piss poor our economy will be. Bush estimated at least 170 billion dollars to fight this war, money we already don't really have. Not to mention that gas prices are going up further, airlines are going bankrupt, and schools are crapping out.

However, I am also worried about the political stability of the mideast and even other parts of the world. A flood of refugees into other countries can cause civil unrest if rival cultures are encountered, and a fair deal of money will need to be given to created camps and opportunities for these refugees to get on with their lives. That aside, these other countries may take the US's focus on Iraq to plan against Israel, or against any other country that they can while this war goes on. Around the world, the UN is in my opinion severely challenged in its authority as a result of this.

Finally, there is of course military concerns, though those are lesser than the aforementioned.
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

*raises hand* I'm rather worried.

Not because I think that things will go poorly, but simply because I have people I care about down there and anything other than sending them back home worries me. I want them home, safe and sound. :|
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Re: Who's nervous about this war?

Post by jegs2 »

Trytostaydead wrote:I'm extremely nervous. Not only this time are entering enemy cities, but last time we did that in Somalia against relatively rag tag militia, we suffered heavily, but now we're going up against Republican guards, a general populace who hates us, and possible WMDs. Plus, all our "allies" are abandoning us, and tensions are heating up all over the world over possible terrorist strikes or other wars, like N. Korea and Iran is even suspicious that they will be targeted next. I'm genuinely worried..
I'm nervous, because some of my comrades are going in harms way, while I'm here and can do nothing to help. However, I know they're well trained and prepared for their mission, and I pray the Lord will see us successful.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Anyone with a brain should be worried. Its not that comforting to see the massive disparity in firepower and troop quality, the fact remains that we have no clue whats going to happen if we go in there and Sadaam now has nothing to lose. In the first Gulf War he stayed his hand on chemical weapons because it was fairly clear that he was going to remain in power. Now, its failry clear that he will be dead or in exile, so what does he have to lose?

I'm worried that the chemical attacks will inflict massive casualties, not just military but civilian as well. Sadaam may very well turn Baghdad into a poison gas cloud. Not a good prospect there. I am also concerned by some reports that the US chem gear is simply not as good as it needs to be.

Once we go in and they surrender en masse and we take Baghdad fairly bloodlesly THEN I'll breath a sigh of relief, but frankly until then I am holding my breath. Victory is certain, but the cost of that victory is NOT and that is the frightening possibility. I DO NOT want to see thousands of dead women and children lying scattered in the streets and villages of Iraq as Sadaam tries to slow our troops advance with gas.

That would be the nightmare scenario for me.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

I'd say I'm more... apathetic, mainly because it's been talked about for over a year and a half. Though maybe when the shit really does hit the fan I'll be a bit more... concerned.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

For those you who believe in destiny, I've felt something in my bones.. as if there's a great turning point about to occur and it doesn't feel all that good. IMHO, I believe this is just the beginning. One day, I expect to see a draft card in my mailbox, or some other reason for me to join.. maybe I'm just being morbid, but I really don't feel too good about this.
Your right, this is a turning point. Weather it is a good one or a bad one will be up to history. Global alliances are shifting some what, and people are changing to adapt to the new political reality. But then again, such things happen some what often through out history. We are hardly unique in this.

As for the draft, don't be daft. The US military is a professional military and really has no use for large amounts of conscripts. The current conflict is so one sided that needing thousands or hundreds of thousands more troops quickly is doubtful if just down right stupid. The current talk about the 'draft' is a political ploy by some democrates to raise more opposition to the coming war.

While people would be morons not to have aprehension about war or conflict, this is not the end of the world senerio that some think.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The infantry don't have enough high-explosive firepower either. 40mm grenades and M136 (Bofors AT4) weapons are pretty much it. Carl Gustav recoilless rifles and other similar weapons just aren't common enough- not to mention how many HE rounds they're packing in comparison to the largely uneeded AT rounds.
Weapons organic to Marine infantry battalion;

1. MK 153 SMAW
2. Dragon
3. M136 HEAT (AT4)
4. MK 19
5. M203

Add on top of the the abilities of the 60mm and 81 mm mortars. Three of those weapon systems are available at the platoon level (along with the 60mm mortar) with the Dragon and the MK19 being at the Battalion level. I really don't see what else we can give the ground pounders. As for the problems with the Abram in MOUNT, yah, I agree. But I don't know how much the Bradley's and LAV's can stop gap those inabilities, let alone CAS and CIFS.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Do you really think the US Army will really try to root out urban opposition via urban warfare, rather than just waiting out a siege?
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Do you really think the US Army will really try to root out urban opposition via urban warfare, rather than just waiting out a siege?
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I'm nervous about all wars.

I wanted to join the military, but due to the fact that I am now a three time 4F catagory I can't. (Diabetes, FUBAR vision, & Childhood Neurological Trauma (Re my stepdad hit me so hard it cracked my skull, caused me to have epileptic fits for a couple of years, and made me mostly blind in one eye))

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

Knife wrote: Weapons organic to Marine infantry battalion;

1. MK 153 SMAW
2. Dragon
3. M136 HEAT (AT4)
4. MK 19
5. M203

Add on top of the the abilities of the 60mm and 81 mm mortars. Three of those weapon systems are available at the platoon level (along with the 60mm mortar) with the Dragon and the MK19 being at the Battalion level. I really don't see what else we can give the ground pounders. As for the problems with the Abram in MOUNT, yah, I agree. But I don't know how much the Bradley's and LAV's can stop gap those inabilities, let alone CAS and CIFS.
But none of those are good at chucking big HE shells are they, and man-portable HE is important in urban combat against dug-in enemies (especially when the politacal situation doesn't allow you to bomb everything). I wouldn't be too confident in taking the Bradley into an urban combat situation where the enemy is likely to have a lot of RPGs, and as for the LAV...
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Anyone know what's the status on the LAV varient with the 105mm cannon?
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I can't say I'm worried, because I really don't care much for either Iraq or the US.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

I'm worried what will come out of this war. It's like a political Pandora's Box.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'm concerned about some aspects. But I don’t think where going to see heavy US loses one way or another, a biochemical attack is unlikely to inflict all that many deaths, and Urban combat wont bring many either.

The reason is numbers and supplies. Battles like Grozny in 1996 or Stalingrad could only be sustained because both sides had open lines of supply and keep feeding men into the grinder. The US wont do this, and it will be able to cut of supplies.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Soulman wrote:
But none of those are good at chucking big HE shells are they, and man-portable HE is important in urban combat against dug-in enemies (especially when the politacal situation doesn't allow you to bomb everything). I wouldn't be too confident in taking the Bradley into an urban combat situation where the enemy is likely to have a lot of RPGs, and as for the LAV...
Bunker Defeat Munition. Shaped charge will breach any obstacle and the frag grenade that’s right behind to take care of anyone inside. There's also missiles from gunships. The US Army got pissed at pilots for shooting too many Hellfire's at soft targets in the last war. But if ground fire or strong construction rules out rockets or guns they will be used. The most recent laser designators can be used very easily by troops.

Lack of coordinated artillery and air support was the reason for many Russian losses and a lot of destruction in Grozny.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

<----- see location.

I'm a little nervous.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

XPViking wrote:<----- see location.

I'm a little nervous.

XPViking
8)
Good luck man. Be careful.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'm worried about the civilian and military casualties. Saddam's not going to leave without a fight, and many people might die. Also, I'm worried about what will happen to Iraq after the war.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB