Possible Powell endorsement on this Sunday's Meet The Press

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Re: Possible Powell endorsement on this Sunday's Meet The Press

Post by Tanasinn »

That was a surprisingly strong endorsement from Powell, from where I sit.

I have to admit, I feel a bit of glee at this.
Truth fears no trial.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

I'm not usually happy about being wrong but I'll take it this time.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

And Rush Limbaugh acts like a blubbering vagina for everyone's amusement.
(CNN) — Conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh Monday strongly defended his recent remark that Colin Powell endorsed Barack Obama largely because of race, and lashed out at members of the media and Democrats for appearing to take issue with his comment.

"So what if it's race?" Limbaugh said on his radio show. "Why is it so hard to admit that it's race…What's so problematic about admitting it?"

Limbaugh's original comments came in an email to Politico reporter Jonathan Martin Sunday, when the talk-radio host took issue with Powell's contention that his endorsement of the Illinois senator did not have anything to do with the color of his skin.

"Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race," Limbaugh wrote in the e-mail. "OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with."

The comments immediately caused a stir on several Democratic blogs and an Obama campaign spokeswoman called them "disgusting." They were also heavily reported on several news programs Sunday night and Monday morning. But Limbaugh made clear Monday he is not backing down from them.

"I thought it should be about race," he said. "I thought you liberals thought this was a historic candidacy because finally we are going to elect a black guy…why hide behind this, why act like it's not about race?"

"This was all about Powell and race, nothing about the nation and its welfare," Limbaugh added. The talk radio host also criticized members of the media for not addressing his claim that Powell likely hasn't endorsed white candidates who, according to Limbaugh, have similar political leanings and experience as Obama.

"Just so you know, I haven't come up with any," he said. "I worked diligently on this on the airplane on the trip home from Green Bay yesterday. I can't find any of these inexperienced white liberals that Powell has endorsed."

In announcing his endorsement of Obama, Powell said his decision was not based solely on race, but added "I can't deny that it will be a historic event for an African-American to become president."

"Should that happen, all Americans should be proud — not just African-Americans, but all Americans — that we have reached this point in our national history where such a thing could happen," Powell said on NBC's Meet the Press Sunday. "It will also not only electrify our country, I think it'll electrify the world."
It's cute the way he's hung up on the "no experience" angle; I think he's just angry that Powell isn't endorsing Palin's "experience" of supposedly being able to see Russia from certain parts of Alaska.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Good God, Rush Limbaugh is obsessed. Everything comes down to race for him. He can't even discuss football without bringing it up.

Gee, I wonder how quick Rush would be to rip someone who called McCain a racist? He'd probably say how ungrateful it was to call someone who served as a soldier a racist.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:I'm not sure what effect the endorsement itself will have on voters, but I'm thinking that it will open the door for more moderate Republicans to break ranks and endorse Obama if that's what they believe.
That's it. I was wavering, unsure how to vote for President for a couple of weeks now and this did it. My absentee ballot has been sitting on the Kitchen table with the line for President blank, but this articulation of Obama's qualifications by Gen Powell sums up exactly what I've been thinking: McCain has NOT displayed the wisdom and decision making capacity befitting a president (the possibility of Pres. Palin scares the shit out of me), while Barry Obama has been unflappable, on-message, and surprisingly thoughtful in his vision of America. When I go home today, I'll be filling in the blank for Barack Obama.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Kodiak wrote:That's it. I was wavering, unsure how to vote for President for a couple of weeks now and this did it. My absentee ballot has been sitting on the Kitchen table with the line for President blank, but this articulation of Obama's qualifications by Gen Powell sums up exactly what I've been thinking: McCain has NOT displayed the wisdom and decision making capacity befitting a president (the possibility of Pres. Palin scares the shit out of me), while Barry Obama has been unflappable, on-message, and surprisingly thoughtful in his vision of America. When I go home today, I'll be filling in the blank for Barack Obama.
I am thrilled, as a person who supports the idea of Obama becoming the President of the United States, to hear your words. I hope they reflect a small sea change in others as well.

I feel compelled to ask however, and this question is not intended to be incisive to you personally or to people of your faith at large, but merely a question of political science. If you had never become a member of these forums, if you had never had your opinions challenged in quite the same way as on these forums - would Powell's words have swayed you to make the same decision?
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

rhoenix wrote: I feel compelled to ask however, and this question is not intended to be incisive to you personally or to people of your faith at large, but merely a question of political science. If you had never become a member of these forums, if you had never had your opinions challenged in quite the same way as on these forums - would Powell's words have swayed you to make the same decision?
It's difficult to say, since during the past year these forums have become a part of my daily routine. I've been a big fan of Colin Powell for quite some time and I was quite disappointed when I learned that his own personal obligations precluded him from his own candidacy. When Powell left the Bush Administration in 2005 it made me look closer at a lot of what VP Cheney was doing behind the scenes. I was initially thrilled when McCain was candidating himself for the GOP nod, because I had really liked him when he ran against George W. Bush in 2000. To my dismay, however, the things that I really liked about him at the time have been quelled by his advisers in favor of a "mediocre middle" candidacy.

I've been increasingly dissatisfied w/ McCain's responses to many of the issues facing America, his negative campaigning, his snide attitude at debates, capped off by rushing to the aid of the economy :roll: (would it be nice if there were a republican w/ solid business/finance experience to explain this to us? oh wait, he lost :evil: )

I am a practicing Mormon living in one of the most liberal parts of the US, with a wide range of friends that have hugely diverging views on politics. I'd like to think that on this board I've shown myself to be open to other ideas and viewpoints, a skill I learned during my time as a missionary. I must say, however, that this board in its radically left-wing carnation is a highly concentrated form of liberal discussion. Did this board help me make this decision? It certainly did a fine job of pointing out the facts of the matter. I think that without all the pro-Obama that I read on this board I would've either left the line blank or written in Romney. California is Blue for Obama anyway, but at least now I have a decision I can live with.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

My absentee ballot has been filled out a week ago, I still keep forgetting to mail it.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Kodiak, thank you for that response. It was both thoughtful and heartful, and I respect both.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

And here's some proof: My absentee ballot

Democracy at work 8)
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP

Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

The hell? Nader's running again?
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Wait, I don't see the Louisiana Tax Payer's Party Nomination on your slip!

....a party that, I should add, has no Louisianaians on the ticket.... (found that funny on my absentee ballot).

I filed mines out for Obama, even before Powell's endorsement. I have it sitting on my desk at home, because it seems like I'll be home for Election, and I want to be at the polls if I am. If not, I'll have it mailed in on Oct 31
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

DarkSilver wrote:Wait, I don't see the Louisiana Tax Payer's Party Nomination on your slip!

....a party that, I should add, has no Louisianaians on the ticket.... (found that funny on my absentee ballot).

I filed mines out for Obama, even before Powell's endorsement. I have it sitting on my desk at home, because it seems like I'll be home for Election, and I want to be at the polls if I am. If not, I'll have it mailed in on Oct 31
I'm putting mine in the mail today. I expect postage to be high. Note, after explaining my thoughts to my wife she decided she "had a crush on Obama" an voted for him too :)
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Why is Bob Barr Number 2 on that ballot?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I think it's ironic that Alan Keyes and Barack Obama are on the ballot "competing" against each other for a political position 4 years later. And just like in 2004, Barack Obama is in a much better position to win than that bigoted asshole.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Aratech wrote:The hell? Nader's running again?
It's probably become a quadennial compulsion for the guy by now, though he certainly isn't going to get any coverage worth speaking about unless he holds the NYSE hostage.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Thanas wrote:Why is Bob Barr Number 2 on that ballot?
Ballot construction is very haphazard state by state. In some states the order is random, at it looks as though that's what California does. In Massachusetts it's done alphabetically, so Barr was first, McCain was in the middle and Obama was last.
The Yosemite Bear

suprised that the other side hasn't tried to discredit Powell yet.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:suprised that the other side hasn't tried to discredit Powell yet.
Given his ties to the current administration, how would they do that?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

The real trick would be to use this to try and tie the current administration to Obama. The current administration everyone hates and McCain is trying to present himself as an alternative to rather than a repeat of.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

Gandalf wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:suprised that the other side hasn't tried to discredit Powell yet.
Given his ties to the current administration, how would they do that?
I would think that as they try to claim that they are not wanting to continue with the same policies, that they would definately try to discredit Powell. It would boost their split with the administration that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You know, I can't remember when Nader wasn't running.... and I'm old enough to remember Watergate. He's going to run for President for as long as he remains upright. Maybe longer. He'll be our first zombie candidate.

When he STOPS running, that will be news.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Yosemite Bear

Broomstick wrote:
You know, I can't remember when Nader wasn't running.... and I'm old enough to remember Watergate. He's going to run for President for as long as he remains upright. Maybe longer. He'll be our first zombie candidate.

No Larouche will beat him to that honor, even from jail, you can't stop that nazi.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Broomstick wrote:

Well, somebody had to take up the mantle of Harold Stassen in national electoral politics.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Broomstick wrote:

Well, somebody had to take up the mantle of Harold Stassen in national electoral politics.
Nah..because the first few times Stassen was actually considered a serious contender instead of a political joke.
IIRC, Nader's never been seriously considered to be a contender.

Though if Ghouliani keeps running, he could uphold the 'honorable' Stassen tradition. :)
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant