Palin Discussion [split]

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Oh, dear Jesus, let's stop hearing "Commander of Alaska's National Guard" right, fucking now. EVERY Governor holds that title for their state. You're not going to be in the field with them in the event "Red Dawn" becomes a reality.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

Skylon wrote:
Max wrote:Somewhere, the faint pop of Anne Coulter's head exploding can be heard.
I really dunno about this. I know neo-cons were on their knees, praying for Romney, but on the surface, she seems conservative enough for them.

I think it was a brilliant choice, except I'm not sure how formidable she is. It's pretty easy to imagine Biden utterly wiping the floor with her in the VP debate based on what I'm hearing now.
Yeah.. but she's a woman. IIRC, Anne doesn't think women should vote, let alone run our country. On top of the fact that she publicly endorsed Hillary over McCain.

*shrug* It was a joke, it made me giggle.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Skylon wrote:Oh, dear Jesus, let's stop hearing "Commander of Alaska's National Guard" right, fucking now. EVERY Governor holds that title for their state. You're not going to be in the field with them in the event "Red Dawn" becomes a reality.
And that's where you're WRONG! She's been working on the Alaskan bear-cavalry for years now, and she's not afraid to use them against her enemies. :P
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Max wrote:[

Yeah.. but she's a woman. IIRC, Anne doesn't think women should vote, let alone run our country.
So, if I ever see Anne Coulter should I just smack her ass and say "bitch, shut up and make me a sandwich, your place is the kitchen"?

I know she was psycho, I never caught THAT one.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:reposted from the other thread
ray245 wrote:Looking at the other boards and juding at their view for the US elections...I am REALLY afriad that McCain can win...
I am too... At this very moment, I am positive millions of women across america are going "I was going to vote for Obama... But now Im going to vote for McCain! HEhas a women on HIS ticket!"

Because, you can NOT underestimate Americans stupidity
Once it comes out how virulently pro-life she is any woman who wasn't about to vote McCain anyways will come running back to Obama. Not to mention that the REPUBLICANS, the party of sexists and racists, has plenty of it's own voters who will not vote for a woman.

This is a bad and desperate pick by a bad and desperate campaign.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

How in the world do you pick a VP with an active investigation of abuse of power hanging over her head, one instigated by her own party in the legislature?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

This doesn't make any sense. This is a terrible ticket. Romney or Crist would have been cynical but potent tickets and adding someone like Huckabee would have shored up McCain's flighty Evangelical base while also getting a good public speaker into his staff to deliver the stuff McCain never seems to state with enough enthusiasm.

But Palin? Okay, so, her big merits are ovaries, energy, and overturning Roe v Wade? This isn't going to appeal to women voters or male voters or any voters outside of the demographic that McCain already has locked up. It may energize ultraconservative women voters, but who cares, they aren't Hillary people anyway. When many women wanted to vote for McCain, they cited his neutral stance on abortion as a reason--but they were wrong, McCain is pro-life. Adding Palin to the ticket is going to make it extremely difficult for those women to remain in McCain's camp, let alone attract new ones from the independant and liberal-leaning women's groups.

I think not only is Biden going to chew her up and spit her out while behaving himself like a Yankee gentleman in the V.P. debates, but Hillary herself has many good reasons to come out and absolutely eviscerate this woman. I've got nothing good to say about her yet, since everyone else except McCain in this race also has a lot of kids. Being a mother rather than a father should not be that much greater an appeal to women, and I hope it won't be.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

What was her intro music?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'd like to congradulation Senator McCain on selecting someone who faces possible corruption charges as we speak, truely there is not greater symbol of the Republican party than a Hard Core Conservative currently being investigate for Corruption(FYI She's not a Neo-Con, Conservative yes, but the We must conqueror the world for the sake of Jesus she is not)

That said she is in favor of
Lower Taxes(To the point at which it makes no sense)
High Defense Spending
Kick-Backs
The War in Iraq(But not in Iran)
"W"
Overturning Roe V Wade
And official corruption(Innocent until condemned by the media and all)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Ok, now I fucking loathe McCain. Selecting Palin isn't a cheap ploy to entice Hillary voters at all, it's a cheap ploy to create a sense of victimization amongst more conservative female voters who otherwise would stay home.

I just don't think that there are many Hillary voters out there who would jump to McCain because he picks a staunchly conservative VP candidate who happens to be female. Palin is a cynical pick aimed squarely at turning out the GOP base who for the most part is turned off by McCain. It's an effort to manufacture sexism charges against Obama, so the GOP can use it as a wedge to rally conservative voters to the polls out of a sense of injustice in response to the inevitable democrat attacks on Palin's record.

It's cynical, pandering, and divisive politics at its worst. Fuck John McCain. Goddamn dickhole.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

irishmick79 wrote:They'll still throw around the inexperience shit, but when the Dems try and throw it back they'll cry 'sexism!'
So get Hillary to accuse Palin of inexperience. She practiced that shtick for a long time on Obama, so she damn well ought to be good at it by now.
Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

Post by Phil Skayhan »

For those (like myself) who were wondering what the abuse of power investigation is:
Palin facing investigation in Alaska wrote:

By Manu Raju
Posted: 08/29/08 11:47 AM [ET]
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R), Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) running mate, faces an investigation over her controversial firing of a public safety commissioner.

State lawmakers approved an investigation late last month into whether the governor retaliated against former commissioner Walt Monegan for not firing a state trooper entangled in a divorce and ongoing custody battle with Palin’s sister. The investigation will also examine whether Palin or any of her family members pressured Monegan to fire state trooper Mike Wooten because of the messy divorce.

Palin has denied any wrongdoing. But Democrats will undoubtedly use the allegations to attack the “clean-government” reputation of the first-term governor.

The McCain campaign said Palin “did nothing wrong and has nothing to hide.”

“It’s outrageous that the Obama campaign is trying to attack her over a family issue. As a reformer and a leader on ethics reform, she has been happy to help out in the investigation of this matter, because she was never directly involved,” the McCain campaign stated.

“Her sister’s former husband was a state trooper and several years ago was suspended from duty after making threats and using a taser on his stepson. One of her staff members did talk about this episode with the office of public safety, but the governor was not aware of his actions. He was wrong to do so and was later suspended for it.”

Lawmakers approved $100,000 to conduct the investigation, which may pick up steam weeks before the November elections.

Palin, 44, will appear with McCain at an Ohio rally Friday. The first-term governor came into office with a call to clean up the state's politics, which have been dogged by numerous scandals, including the indictment of legendary Sen. Ted Stevens (R) last month. When Stevens was indicted on seven felony counts, Palin said she shared her state’s “dismay” over the turn of events.
Happily married gay couples with closets full of assault weapons. That's my vision for America
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

sketerpot wrote:
irishmick79 wrote:They'll still throw around the inexperience shit, but when the Dems try and throw it back they'll cry 'sexism!'
So get Hillary to accuse Palin of inexperience. She practiced that shtick for a long time on Obama, so she damn well ought to be good at it by now.
The dems will have to do that. Hillary won't make a difference to the more conservative female voters, though - their storyline will be "first the DNC destroys Hillary, now Palin. Look, Hillary's so broken that she's singing Obama's tune!"

This pick is a drive to turn out the base, pure and simple.
- Old Russian Saying
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

It looks like a something-out-of-nothing to me, especially if they've got a record of the guy tasering his own stepson.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:It looks like a something-out-of-nothing to me, especially if they've got a record of the guy tasering his own stepson.
Evidently he begged to be tased.

As for Palin, the only calculated part of her selection might be the possibility of interposing her between Biden and McCain when he goes on the attack, so that they can perhaps make Biden look like a jerk who's being mean to the pretty lady. Other than that it's a pretty transparent and weak declaration that the GOP is diverse, too.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Okay, I listend to Limbaugh long-enough for me to stomach it. Looks like the neo-cons got no huge issue with her. I figured they would, but considering their lack of rationality, ya never know...

Further, considering how much her "understanding what it's like to pay the bills" crap was touted, I am wondering if she got picked because of that gaff about McCain not knowing how many homes he had.
-A.L.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Quite surprised me, as I would never have expected the party to overcome its ideology and it's own internal power dynamics to make anything like this choice.

Unsurprising on another level, however, because to do this shows how desperate the GOP are to win this election and they are not sure that even their Diebold-nobbled districts can swing it against Obama/Biden. The Republicans are playing their last card and tossing the rest of their chips into the pot. This is their last chance to keep their death-grip on power and they know it, their last chance to derail what is turning into a generational movement against them. If this fails, they don't get another shot until 2016 at the earliest, and perhaps not for another two decades if an Obama presidency really takes off.

Deeply cynical, as they think Vice Presidential Barbie is going to swing enough young male voters and women (especially disgruntled Hillary supporters) over to their side, and also because it's yet another racist dogwhistle pitting her against Obama —young pretty white woman being menaced by the black man, etc...
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Wow, John McCain has finally joined the now and proven to the nation that he's with it. You know, 1984.

This is a pure desperation move. He's trying to pick up the Hillary supporters by picking a female, not understanding that the whole Hillary supporter thing is a cult of personality.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Hey, Van Halen is always current.

Palin looks like she's being used, pure and simple. Poor girl.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Is it possible Palin gets charged while running? Won't that be.. practically suicidal for McCain?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Oh look, she posed for VOGUE

That's a little unsettling, and not a photoshop.
ImageImage
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

This pick isn't about Hillary supporters at all. That's a red herring.

The only people who are going to be moved by this pick are your traditional conservatives who are otherwise turned off by McCain. Once they can start crying 'sexism' whenever Obama/Biden attacks Palin, the republicans can start drumming out their base conservatives by creating a false sense of outrage.

Just you wait - you'll see stories upon stories of how Palin is just this innocent good mom who is getting savaged by sexists in the DNC. The only people who are going to eat that crap up are the conservatives who otherwise hate McCain, but might hit the polls for him to fight this completely manufactured 'injustice'. They'll attempt to stir up anger amongst their base in an effort to get them to turn out on election day.
- Old Russian Saying
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Is it possible Palin gets charged while running? Won't that be.. practically suicidal for McCain?
You really think a Republican controlled State Legislature is going to help flush the party's Presidential aspirations down the tube?

Say what you will about the GOP, but they have a much tighter "Follow your fucking orders" mentality than the Dems do.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Damn, that IS a shop. I got punk'd.
ImageImage
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Damn, that IS a shop. I got punk'd.
So did RedState with their 'scoop' of it being Pawlenty.
Then again, RS gets a lot of things wrong. :lol:
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant