Barack Obama's Vice President

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Who would you choose?

Joe Biden
5%
Hillary Clinton
4%
John Edwards
14%
Bill Richardson
47%
Brian Schweitzer
1%
Jim Webb
3%
Other
9%
McCain/Tarkin '08
18%

Total votes: 102

The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

New name that's recently been floated: Senator Jack Reed of RI. Will be accompanying Obama to Iraq along with Senator Hagel. Former Marine, "strong" on foreign policy (which is a perceived Obama short-coming). He obviously wouldn't help bring Obama any states, but could help placate the base as he has a consistent "liberal" voting record, and Veep candidates haven't been used to carry a state for a while anyways.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

If it weren't for the fact that it would take him out of the Senate, I would say Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI.) There is no one in Washington that the liberals in this country like more than Feingold, frankly. Of course, that's also the innate problem with an Obama/Feingold ticket: the "L" word.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

His idiotic vote on FISA changed the VP game entirely, in my opinion. If he wants to regain any shred of credibility with the disillusioned portion of his base, he should pick a senator who voted against it or another official who vocally and unequivocally denounced it. So as much as I hate to say it, Clinton is becoming more appealing.
Joe Biden also voted against it, and he has more genuine foreign policy experience. (Clinton's sniper-fire fiasco means that she won't be credible to the public on foreign policy.) There is certainly a danger of him being too mouthy, though. I find Joe tremendously entertaining when he mouths off, but most people don't.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Quick aside on the Clinton vote, I would read absolutely nothing into that. Had she been the nominee she would have voted for FISA just as Obama did, she voted against not because of some principal but because it would be tough to sell when she runs for re-election.

Anyway Dodd or Biden would be great but I'm generally iffy about pulling mroe than one of the two out of the Senate as they have great strength there and I think either of them would be an excellent SecState.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The Original Nex wrote:New name that's recently been floated: Senator Jack Reed of RI. Will be accompanying Obama to Iraq along with Senator Hagel. Former Marine, "strong" on foreign policy (which is a perceived Obama short-coming). He obviously wouldn't help bring Obama any states, but could help placate the base as he has a consistent "liberal" voting record, and Veep candidates haven't been used to carry a state for a while anyways.
I say Reed if for no other reason than the glut of pork that will be swathed upon my tiny state in the form of contracts for enough nuclear submarines to enable me to walk across Long Island Sound without getting my feet wet.
Seriously, I like Jack Reed. I voted for Jack Reed. Would he make a good VP? Meh...
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Quick aside on the Clinton vote, I would read absolutely nothing into that. Had she been the nominee she would have voted for FISA just as Obama did, she voted against not because of some principal but because it would be tough to sell when she runs for re-election.
Indeed.
If she had won, she no more would have been able to force the Democratic Congressional leadershit into line any more than Obama was.

Recognizing political realities, while I don't like Obama's vote, I realize why he did it and still plan on giving his campaign additional money simply because a McCain administration would probably be worse than Bush, and up until I read his tax plan and health 'reform' plan, I didn't think that was possible.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Quick aside on the Clinton vote, I would read absolutely nothing into that. Had she been the nominee she would have voted for FISA just as Obama did, she voted against not because of some principal but because it would be tough to sell when she runs for re-election.

Anyway Dodd or Biden would be great but I'm generally iffy about pulling mroe than one of the two out of the Senate as they have great strength there and I think either of them would be an excellent SecState.
The solution to that is to make Richardson Secretary of State. He'd be really good at it. Personally I'd pick Richardson for veep and Biden for Secretary of State, but it depends on what Obama's looking for in a veep. If he wants an attack dog, Biden's his man, but he'll have to be prepared to rein him in and possibly do damage control when he messes up. Also, Biden made some really stupid remarks about Obama and race early in the campaign, to the effect of, "Wow, it's a black guy who's clean and articulate, no wonder people love him." I imagine he is not Obama's favorite person.

Has Dodd really got enough foreign policy credentials to be Secretary of State? I like Dodd, and I will forever admire him for his FISA filibuster, but I'm not sure if Secretary of State is the best job for him.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower