Some Govt. Agencies, Colleges, Demand Facebook Passwords

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: Some Govt. Agencies, Colleges, Demand Facebook Passwords

Post by aerius »

Broomstick wrote:Or, better yet, just use some discretion as to what you do and don't put on line.
But then your friends will miss out on how you passed out drunk and got teabagged on your spring break vacation.
weemadando wrote:Or you could a) use privacy controls and b) live in somewhere that isn't aiming to be a Rand-ian shithole and actually has worked protections?
That's what I do, I have my profile locked down so that finding me takes a bit of work, and I could get it to the point where I have complete deniability of any online presence.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

J wrote:
Norseman wrote:I really fail to see the appeal of Facebook, why would anyone want a facebook account?
Without facebook, how would all your friends know that you're falling over drunk?

Getting badk on topic, I see a market for sanitized facebook & social media accounts. Soneone would make a nice clean profile of you with pretty pictures of safe & socially acceptable things & events which you can then submit to colleges, employers, and anyone else demanding an online profile.
It's called LinkedIn
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Norseman wrote:Not only do I not have a Facebook account, but I don't have any social media accounts whatsoever. I never saw a point. I really fail to see the appeal of Facebook, why would anyone want a facebook account?
Not to get too tangential, but it's about the only contact I have with friends who I don't live close to anymore. It's a nice, easy way to keep in touch with old college buddies and stuff.

Why employers want to see, say, the stupid D&D references, ME3 status updates, or random political rants is beyond me, though.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Norseman wrote:
Broomstick wrote:This is just another reason I don't have a Facebook account...

Of course, these days, if you tell a potential employer you don't have a Facebook account they might not believe you.
Not only do I not have a Facebook account, but I don't have any social media accounts whatsoever. I never saw a point. I really fail to see the appeal of Facebook, why would anyone want a facebook account?
Because, though I've lived in the UK for the last ~4 years, I spent the 25 years before that in India. I know what is going on in the lives of my friends and family, I can see photos from parties, meetups, get-togethers. I can play Scrabble with my eldest sister (who moved to the US in 1996). I can follow a few select bands that I like.

You miss the 'convenience' aspect. A couple who have just had a baby don't need to mail a set of photos to their respective friends, trying to recall if they've missed someone - you upload the pics into an album and it is broadcast to everyone on your list - or everyone on lists you choose to show them to.

Some of us *are* social people, we like to stay informed about those around us.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Broomstick wrote:Or, better yet, just use some discretion as to what you do and don't put on line.
I've never used Facebook, but I was under the impression that what other people posted about you was just as damning as what you posted about yourself. And since most people have no real censor, you can be screwed either way. I remember a case of at least one person getting in trouble for graffiti because someone else posted a photo. So unless you know there's nothing incriminating out there, you might as well not have one.

Also, to the people who use FB: doesn't email already let you keep in touch with people with exactly the same functionality? I'm just curious.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

It does but everyone seems to prefer to use Facebook for some reason.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Scrib wrote:
I've never used Facebook, but I was under the impression that what other people posted about you was just as damning as what you posted about yourself. And since most people have no real censor, you can be screwed either way. I remember a case of at least one person getting in trouble for graffiti because someone else posted a photo. So unless you know there's nothing incriminating out there, you might as well not have one.

Also, to the people who use FB: doesn't email already let you keep in touch with people with exactly the same functionality? I'm just curious.
Facebook has sort of gotten better: it's easier to allow/disallow tags that your friends might add to pictures, links or videos. So in theory it's harder to trace photos to you.

As for email: It requires *everyone* to be proactive. If there is a single type of content that you want to share with multiple types of people (your family, your spouse's family, college friends, ex-colleagues...) then email requires you to keep track of who you've sent what to. Facebook is more convenient - you upload and then those who want to, check it.

Email requires you to, every few months, send a "what's up?" mail to people. I would honestly prefer email, but a lot of my friends are just absolutely rubbish when it comes to being either proactive or even taking time to send a response.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I still think the best response would be to get so many people posting various lurid photos and details that most companies trying to weed out 'undesirable behavior' would find themselves unable to hire anyone.

But I'm unreasonably spiteful like that.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Uraniun235 wrote:I still think the best response would be to get so many people posting various lurid photos and details that most companies trying to weed out 'undesirable behavior' would find themselves unable to hire anyone.
It's already that way. Have you read the job descriptions most employers put out? They name requirements such as needing years of experience, when - surprise! - nobody available has those years of experience. They are not willing to train people anymore, thinking it cheaper to poach staff from other companies.

Then they wonder why they can't find anybody.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Id HR is asking if you have FB and you don't have FB, particularly if you are younger, they will pretty much bin our application as it sends off big warning lights that you aren't exactly the social type who works well in teams and will contribute to the work social environment.

In saying "omg why would u have the fb" you are purposefully othering yourself from the norms of the community.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Where you draw the line with that?

Sure, drunken photos are out. But what else? Would you self-censor your political views? What if one of your friends did something bad, and HR snooping finds this out? Or even didn't do anything bad, simple fact you have gay/punk/goth/whatever friends might mean you're out of the pool of candidates. Even by simple prejudice of the recruiter.

To give one personal example, on my brief move to Wales I have befriended a black girl, leftist radical human rights activist that would be prejudiced against in my home country for about two dozen reasons, political, religious, social life, skin color, etc. - Am I supposed to clean my account of her because every single conservative republitard would rather die than tolerate her, or anyone who would do it? :roll:

Basically, what you say can be said as 'why you want privacy? only evildoers have something to hide!' or 'I don't care how harsh judges and law are, I'm not a criminal!'.
Scrib wrote:Also, to the people who use FB: doesn't email already let you keep in touch with people with exactly the same functionality? I'm just curious.
Theoretically, telegraph gives you the same capabilities email does, yet people prefer the second one for some reason. Or, if you want to go by convenience angle, compare public phones with cell phones - mail just doesn't offer identical experience.

In fact, Facebook is so convenient I try to not use it to not lose too much time. I have gotten to a hour per month, though some of my friends use it all the time. It's basically just convenient internet in a pill for less technical oriented people.
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

Scrib wrote:Also, to the people who use FB: doesn't email already let you keep in touch with people with exactly the same functionality? I'm just curious.
Not with the same ease of use. With email, you have to keep track everyone else's email address constantly(OK it's less of a problem in the world of large capacity free webemail providers like GMail, Yahoo Mail and the rest). You have to manage the various lists of contacts by hand (your email software or webmail provider may or may not support it) and as mentioned, have to ping everybody repeatedly. Which may or may not get lost in their general email traffic with spam, newsletters and whatever else got dumped onto their mailboxes. With FB it's easier to limit who sees your posts (at least superficially, see tha various security scandals) and whose posts you'll see.

Sharing media is more problematic, because you can only send a limited amount of stuff around (limited by maximum size of mails) or have to sign up for and maintain a different backend services for storing and distributing media(say hello to juggling multiple accounts and access control hell for everyone involved). With FB, the media storage and sharing mechanisms are part of the service (even when security is still lacking).
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Irbis wrote:
Where you draw the line with that?
That is something each person has to decide for themselves, with the realization that there are potential consequences for whatever that person decides.

The point is you don't have to put everything on line. I certainly don't, even if I do put quite a bit of some topics out there. There are some things that I keep to myself.

There is nothing inherently wrong with FB, however, no matter what you do or what you believe there will be someone out there who doesn't agree and may use it against you. Even the choice NOT to use FB has consequences, as noted by JointStrikeFighter.
Sure, drunken photos are out. But what else? Would you self-censor your political views?
In order to keep a job at times yes, I HAVE self-censored my political views by simply keeping my mouth shut. I mean, hell, I lived in Chicago for 15 years and its reputation for voter fraud and influence trading is well-deserved. I have flat-out lied when asked who I did or did not vote for in an election in order to keep my employment. More often, though, I simply do not share that information, not with anyone. Often, not even with my spouse.

Now, should I have to do that? Absolutely not. That sort of situation is wrong. But sometimes life is unjust and I deemed concealing my viewpoint at work to be a lesser evil than losing my job. IF I was more politically active I might have valued speaking out at work over keeping my job. My choice. When I choose, there's a limit to how much I can whine about the consequences.

People who own a FB account have control over what they put up there (the issue of others making comments being something separate). Yes, in the US you have a right to your beliefs and to speak freely - it's the fucking First Amendment after all - but you are NOT shielded from the consequences of those actions. You have a right to be a Voodoo Priest and get facial tattoos and promote plural marriage and the eating of small dogs - but you do not have a right to dictate how others feel about your beliefs. Most people know if their views are mainstream or not. Right or wrong, if you're in a minority category of something you may be judged harshly for that. Which is exactly why I think being able to have some privacy is a valuable thing. That doesn't mean others will respect your privacy, or your views.
What if one of your friends did something bad, and HR snooping finds this out? Or even didn't do anything bad, simple fact you have gay/punk/goth/whatever friends might mean you're out of the pool of candidates. Even by simple prejudice of the recruiter.
Those are societal problems that did not originate with FB. The biggest problem is that by putting everything out there FB makes it so much easier for the bigots to shit on everyone else. That sort of thing has ALWAYS been a problem. Guilt by association is disgusting but it's nothing new.

I would certainly be in favor of some sort of law that forbids employers from demanding to see your FB profile as a condition of employment. However, such a law might come with a requirement that you not mention your employer by name or in a manner to identify a specific employer as well. It cuts both ways. You can't demand protection for yourself then be free to defame or slander others. (If you have a legitimate issue with an employer there are other channels to use.)
To give one personal example, on my brief move to Wales I have befriended a black girl, leftist radical human rights activist that would be prejudiced against in my home country for about two dozen reasons, political, religious, social life, skin color, etc. - Am I supposed to clean my account of her because every single conservative republitard would rather die than tolerate her, or anyone who would do it? :roll:
Or perhaps in a more concrete manner, was it right that I used to be threatened with physical harm, and occasionally more than just threatened, at school because my oldest sister was a politically active lesbian? I am well aware of the risks here, having experienced some really awful consequences myself. Which might be why I don't let it all hang out in public.

Here's the difference: in the old days some people found out about my sister's activities and lifestyle, but I didn't carry around a banner declaring it. Putting something on FB is like renting space on a billboard - it is VERY public and unlike more limited conversations like face-to-face or a small e-mail list, EVERYONE can happen by and see it. (Unless you're maniacal about the privacy settings, but it seems few are.)

My personal opinion is that the current generation of kids haven't a fucking clue why privacy is something to be valued. This really isn't a surprise in this country (I can't speak for others) as the current crop of young adults have been under 24/7 surveillance in the name of "safety" and "security", not to mention all the family photos and videos, and cameras at school and in public places. They've never had privacy so they don't know what they've lost. Now the older adults are all freaked out because instead of simply undressing in front of each other like we did in my generation the kids are e-mailing naked photos of themselves amongst their friends. Seems a logical extension of the the privacy-is-gone-get-over-it meme to me.

Yes, you have a right to whatever political or social views you want, or any other thought or belief. But if you insist on painting it on the side of your house or constantly talking about them to everyone there will be consequences, good or bad. The trouble is, too many people think the Magic Box on their desk or table doesn't have other people attached to it. It's a real human being on the other side of the modem. It's a LOT of real human beings on the other side of the modem. If you don't want it public don't put it on the internet. If you DO put it on the internet realize that no matter how innocent or innocuous it seems to YOU there will be someone out there who takes offense to it.

What makes FB more insidious than, say, Stardestroyer.net, is that this forum is controlled by someone who understands not everyone wants their full identity public when speaking here, and doesn't profit from selling anyone's information. FB was founded by someone who believes no one should have anonymity and clearly has never been bullied or stalked or harassed otherwise he would have built those protections into the system from the beginning, which he did not. There is HUGE profit to be made from selling information about people.
Basically, what you say can be said as 'why you want privacy? only evildoers have something to hide!' or 'I don't care how harsh judges and law are, I'm not a criminal!'.
What I'm saying is that how much privacy you have depends in part upon you. You shouldn't assume a for-profit corporation that is giving you free space on the internet has your best interests at heart. Doesn't mean they're evil - I don't mind certain "intrusions" if I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives. Where it gets to be a problem is, for instance, if participation in something like FB is required in order to be employed at any job.

Public indiscretions are nothing new in society, it's just that with FB it's so much EASIER to broadcast them. I imagine when photography first became common there was a similar problem - things that once happened and then were forgotten were now immortalized in the form of embarrassing photos. Used to be, though, that such photos had limited circulation, now with the internet a couple billion other people can see them, and you have little or no control over deleting them.

Or, to put it another way - displaying everything has consequences. NOT displaying anything also has consequences. Nosy bigots will take your refusal to reveal all as badly as a "wrong" answer. It's not right, but it is reality. I'm all for making the world a better place, but meanwhile you have to learn when to shut the fuck up and when not to display what should be your private life. It's not the way it should be, but that is how the world is.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:My personal opinion is that the current generation of kids haven't a fucking clue why privacy is something to be valued. This really isn't a surprise in this country (I can't speak for others) as the current crop of young adults have been under 24/7 surveillance in the name of "safety" and "security", not to mention all the family photos and videos, and cameras at school and in public places. They've never had privacy so they don't know what they've lost. Now the older adults are all freaked out because instead of simply undressing in front of each other like we did in my generation the kids are e-mailing naked photos of themselves amongst their friends. Seems a logical extension of the the privacy-is-gone-get-over-it meme to me.
It's not this simple, but there's a distinct minority that seems to think this way and you may be noticing them more than the rest.

Remember, there are people in "the current generation of kids" who have been bullied, stalked, or harassed, and others who fear it. There's something of a disconnect, though, between their expectations of what they need to do to preserve privacy and safety, versus the personal viciousness of bullies and bigots whose standards were set in the 1970s... and it's them who get to decide HR standards, because they're running the HR departments these days.

Yes, you have a right to whatever political or social views you want, or any other thought or belief. But if you insist on painting it on the side of your house or constantly talking about them to everyone there will be consequences, good or bad. The trouble is, too many people think the Magic Box on their desk or table doesn't have other people attached to it. It's a real human being on the other side of the modem. It's a LOT of real human beings on the other side of the modem. If you don't want it public don't put it on the internet. If you DO put it on the internet realize that no matter how innocent or innocuous it seems to YOU there will be someone out there who takes offense to it.

What makes FB more insidious than, say, Stardestroyer.net, is that this forum is controlled by someone who understands not everyone wants their full identity public when speaking here, and doesn't profit from selling anyone's information. FB was founded by someone who believes no one should have anonymity and clearly has never been bullied or stalked or harassed otherwise he would have built those protections into the system from the beginning, which he did not. There is HUGE profit to be made from selling information about people.
What I'm saying is that how much privacy you have depends in part upon you. You shouldn't assume a for-profit corporation that is giving you free space on the internet has your best interests at heart. Doesn't mean they're evil - I don't mind certain "intrusions" if I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives. Where it gets to be a problem is, for instance, if participation in something like FB is required in order to be employed at any job.

Public indiscretions are nothing new in society, it's just that with FB it's so much EASIER to broadcast them. I imagine when photography first became common there was a similar problem - things that once happened and then were forgotten were now immortalized in the form of embarrassing photos. Used to be, though, that such photos had limited circulation, now with the internet a couple billion other people can see them, and you have little or no control over deleting them.

Or, to put it another way - displaying everything has consequences. NOT displaying anything also has consequences. Nosy bigots will take your refusal to reveal all as badly as a "wrong" answer. It's not right, but it is reality. I'm all for making the world a better place, but meanwhile you have to learn when to shut the fuck up and when not to display what should be your private life. It's not the way it should be, but that is how the world is.[/quote]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Eulogy wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:I still think the best response would be to get so many people posting various lurid photos and details that most companies trying to weed out 'undesirable behavior' would find themselves unable to hire anyone.
It's already that way. Have you read the job descriptions most employers put out? They name requirements such as needing years of experience, when - surprise! - nobody available has those years of experience. They are not willing to train people anymore, thinking it cheaper to poach staff from other companies.

Then they wonder why they can't find anybody.
The theory I'd heard for that one was it's basically a visa scam - post impossible requirements, then when none of the applicants meet them they cry to the government about how they can't find any qualified citizens and they just have to hire some people from out of country who are willing to take shit wages.

I don't have any evidence for that one though.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Sometimes, although more often it\'s the company already has a specific person they want to bring over, in which case advertising for a VERY specific set of skills might be needed.
(to be able to sponsor a working immigrant generally you need to show you\'ve tried to hire locals first. Most countries seem to have categories of shortage jobs where that requirement is waived, however.)

Much more likely, its the HR deparment being dicks.
ie: Drafting department. \"We\'re going to need a new Cadder for this upcoming three year project.\"
Hr department. \"You sure? can you prove it?\"
\"this is our current workload, this is our projected workload. we need another guy.\"
\"What skills does he need?\"
\"The usual - AutoCad, a couple of projects in his portfolio to show. If he knows how to do rendering or use Sketchup or Revit that\'d be helpful, but 90% of the time he\'ll be making Cad structual drawings.\"

Job Advert:

Wanted: Highly experienced Draughtsman. Must have five year experience in Autocad, have a worked for the last three years (with a portfolio to show). Engineering degree helpful, but not required. Experience (2 years minimum) in rendering, Sketchup or Revit also beneficial.
Applicant must be ready for an immediate start and have their own car.

/sarcasam.

I\'ve seen adverts demanding 3rs experience in 2yr old software. Did i mention i hate HR departments?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote:Orwell, is that you? What next, they want to mic you up so they can listen to what you say?

Justifiable only for agencies like the CIA, I would think, but any CIA agent who wants to commit treason or divulge secrets is not going to use facebook anyway.
The IC does not* demand logins for social media accounts. Or you sitting there whilst the potential employer is over your shoulder looking through your stuff.

*Besides, they get all that through key loggers after you fart around at work.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."