Worldwide gun control disscussion

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: Worldwide gun control disscussion

Post by Channel72 »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Channel72 wrote:Which is why I don't really buy into arguments about gun restrictions mysteriously "not working". The real problem is the restrictions are too myopic - they are, by necessity, limited to certain jurisdictions. But criminals don't care about jurisdictions. Only federal level gun laws would have any hope of actually paying off in the long run. Now, of course, that won't happen due to the gun culture in America - but that doesn't mean restricting access to guns on a federal level isn't a legitimate solution.
The problem with that is that you're taking parts of the country that don't have a major gun crime problem, and telling them that there is this category of valuable property that they can't own or trade in, due entirely to the action of criminals who live hundreds of miles away.

It seems a bit unfair.

One of the reasons there IS a gun control debate in America is that there are sharp regional differences between the issue. Guns are viewed as a dangerous tool of criminals in the cities, but as a routine tool of personal protection in rural areas. Trying to legislate gun possession for the rural areas because of their impact on the cities is basically telling the rural areas that cities "outrank" them.
Obviously, some people living in rural areas are complicit in illegal gun trafficking. Actually, "rural" isn't even a useful description here - it's more like any region, sub-urban, rural or even urban, in a state with much more relaxed gun laws that ends up trafficking guns to larger metropolitan areas. Places like Indiana and Wisconsin, which service Chicago, and Pennsylvania and Georgia, which service New York/New Jersey.

Yes, it's unfair to the majority of law-abiding gun owners. Shrug, I guess? What's even more unfair is the innocent bystanders who get caught in the crossfire, when criminals who benefit from illegal gun trafficking end up shooting at each other.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:Presumably better mental health facilities would work well?
Not really. Most people with severe mental disorders are not dangerous to anyone but maybe themselves. There are some off-the-wall psychopathologies that only really show themselves when they land you in prison, and a few others where the person does not believe they need help. Garden variety bipolar disorder does not lead to murder. Being jealous of your spouse can, but abusers dont usually report their abuse to their therapist...

Most murders are either arguments between two people who have a competing interest (drugs, money, or in the really banal case, hockey), or relationships that implode spectacularly.

Even spree shooters dont usually do so because of their mental illness (they might have mental illnesses, but dont usually kill because of them), mostly because the overwhelming majority of mental illnesses wont overcome the psychological barrier to killing someone else. Oneself, sure, but not others.

There are plenty of reasons to want better mental health facilities and access to treatment providers and medication. Homicide is not one of them.
I was thinking suicide primarily. And also the mental health - poverty - crime cycle that is part of american exceptionalism.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

madd0ct0r wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:Presumably better mental health facilities would work well?
Not really. Most people with severe mental disorders are not dangerous to anyone but maybe themselves. There are some off-the-wall psychopathologies that only really show themselves when they land you in prison, and a few others where the person does not believe they need help. Garden variety bipolar disorder does not lead to murder. Being jealous of your spouse can, but abusers dont usually report their abuse to their therapist...

Most murders are either arguments between two people who have a competing interest (drugs, money, or in the really banal case, hockey), or relationships that implode spectacularly.

Even spree shooters dont usually do so because of their mental illness (they might have mental illnesses, but dont usually kill because of them), mostly because the overwhelming majority of mental illnesses wont overcome the psychological barrier to killing someone else. Oneself, sure, but not others.

There are plenty of reasons to want better mental health facilities and access to treatment providers and medication. Homicide is not one of them.
I was thinking suicide primarily. And also the mental health - poverty - crime cycle that is part of american exceptionalism.
Britain managed to reduce their suicide problems by making it harder to access handguns. Turns out when you don't have easy access to an effective way to kill yourself you have a chance to cool off before impulsively committing suicide.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

General Zod wrote:Britain managed to reduce their suicide problems by making it harder to access handguns. Turns out when you don't have easy access to an effective way to kill yourself you have a chance to cool off before impulsively committing suicide.
Actually, a big determinant in the suicide rate in UK back then was the switch in heating fuels for conventional ovens from "conventional" coal gas to more modern natural gases.

LINKYPOO

Who knew when you reduced the amount of Carbon Monoxide in standard cooking gases from 13%~ (1950s) to less than 1% (by 1975) it becomes really fucking hard to kill yourself via sticking your head into your home cooking oven?

So they switched to hanging and strangulation.

(60% killed themselves with domestic gas in 1960, but domestic gas died as a suicide method circa 1975, replaced by hanging and strangulation -- 40% in 1997).

LINKYPOO.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Well, since our friend Shep has decided to myopically focus on the city of Baltimore and Maryland-related gun control laws without providing a shred of context
I live in Maryland.

Maryland offers many opportunities to look at gun control; since we are one of the more crazier states. (Not as bad as California, but getting there slowly).

For example the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 LINK passed in response to Littleton; banned residents of Maryland from purchasing "Assault Weapons" -- weapons owned prior to a certain date were "Grandfathered" in.

(BTW, I am a bit confused myself here -- I already thought we had an assault weapon ban here in MD from the 1990s, I wonder if it was ever repealed or they just forgot about it).

Anyway, FSA 2013 banned a whole bunch of weapons by defining them as "Regulated firearms" -- go to hardcopy page 22 in the PDF and start reading.

Amongst them was the "Galil models AR and ARM semi–auto;".

So why did I mention the Galil?

See; the shooter in Baton Rouge used a Tavor -- he had a AR-15 in the trunk of his car that wasn't used.

In the words of Rorschach: "That's right. Human Bean Juice."

So why mention the Galil and Tavor?

Well...

Link

Harrisburg, PA (June 2014) – IWI US, Inc., a subsidiary of Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Ltd., is pleased to announce the TAVOR® SAR model for the state of Maryland is now shipping to area distributors. The Maryland model complies with all state statutes in effect as of date of shipment from IWI US, and still provides the TAVOR SAR fan an unprecedented experience in firepower and performance.

The model TAVOR SAR (TSB16MD) is built on the 16.5″ barrel model with a 3.5″ removable muzzle brake that yields an OAL of 30″ (minimum 29″ for MD) when attached and a 10-round magazine.

The TAVOR SAR Maryland model incorporates a full-length MIL-STD Picatinny top rail in addition to the standard short rail mounted at a 45° angle opposite the charging handle. Backup Iron Sights (BUIS) are embedded and spring loaded in the top of the Picatinny rail and the front post contains a Tritium insert on a standard AR thread, fully adjustable for windage and elevation (tool provided). The standard caliber is .223/5.56 NATO with a 9mm conversion kit available. Available in Black only. MSRP is $1,999.00

:angelic:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Well, since our friend Shep has decided to myopically focus on the city of Baltimore and Maryland-related gun control laws without providing a shred of context, here's a heat map that shows U.S. states sorted by gun deaths, colored by the types of gun control laws in those states.
I notice that it includes suicides and accidental gun deaths to skew the statistics. That's an old trick.

For example, Alaska has a rating of 19.8 gun deaths per 100K....because it's really cold and fucking dark for months and so suicides are sky high, artificially inflating Alaska's "Gun Death" rating.

When you look at

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... s/table-20
https://www.census.gov/popest/data/state/totals/2014/

Alaska has 2.986 firearms murders per 100K in 2014.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Broomstick wrote:I'm not OK with untrained people buying weapons. Frankly, I'd like to see required training before anyone can purchase their first gun.
What do you have against poor people and the disabled? Are you suggesting that I pay out of my own pocket to find an interpreter for the (since 2013) Maryland-mandated firearms training classes?
Broomstick wrote:I didn't say that, the Supreme Court of the US has said that.
You mean like they said:

LINK

But there is no reason to believe that an extra layer of regulation would have affected that behavior. Determined wrongdoers, already ignoring existing statutes and safety measures, are unlikely to be convinced to adopt safe practices by a new overlay of regulations
Broomstick wrote:Bullshit. Check your sources. Whether open carry or concealed you need a license to carry a handgun in Indiana, and you can wait up to 15 days for said license.
Indiana? Don't need any kind of license or training to purchase and/or possess a handgun.

You don't need a license to carry a hand gun if:

You're on your own property
It's unloaded and secured in vehicle
It's being carried to a shooting range or carried for legal hunting
It's unloaded and secured.

You can sell a handgun privately to anyone face to face with no restriction other than validating that the person is also a resident of Indiana.

Open carry of rifles is allowed without a license in Indiana. Just got to be careful about hunting regulations (automatically assumed to be a poacher/hunting etc).

License To Carry Handguns (LTCH) have been "shall issue" in Indiana as far back as 1986.

No waiting period at all. Pay your money, walk out the door with a ARMALYTE.

Illinois?

FOID is needed to purchase, possess and sell. If you want to sell to someone, you have to call the Illinois State Police and use their automated Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program (FTIP) plus keep a record for ten years.

Plus you cannot open carry either a rifle or handgun in Illinois, even with a permit, and it wasn't until 2013 that Illinois legalized SHALL ISSUE concealed carry.

Waiting Period of 72 hours for Handguns, 24 hours for rifle and shotguns.

So...um....yeah....your postulate of:

Chicago has highly restrictive gun laws. Illinois does not.

is only true if you are comparing Chicago to the rest of Illinois.

When you compare Illinois to next door Indiana... it's...

for Indiana.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

MKSheppard wrote:
Broomstick wrote:I'm not OK with untrained people buying weapons. Frankly, I'd like to see required training before anyone can purchase their first gun.
What do you have against poor people and the disabled? Are you suggesting that I pay out of my own pocket to find an interpreter for the (since 2013) Maryland-mandated firearms training classes?
My disabled husband managed to get firearm training and owned guns in Illinois, FOID and all, for many years.

Oh, right - you're deaf. Yes, you might have to pay for an interpreter. I imagine there are other instances where you'd have to pay for an interpreter. Or maybe you can organize a group of deaf people to take a class together and you can pool your resources for an interpreter. Yes, that sucks. Being disabled costs more than not being disabled, reality sucks that way. And I don't think blind people should play with guns, sucks to be them, but when you can't see to aim you'd be a hazard to others.

We don't give poor people a break on the cost of learning to drive, I don't see why we should have to give them a break on the cost of fire-arms training, either. Fact is, a gun isn't the only way to defend yourself and/or keep yourself safe.
Broomstick wrote:I didn't say that, the Supreme Court of the US has said that.
You mean like they said:
Stop putting words in other peoples' mouths, fuckwicket. That's dishonest debating.
Broomstick wrote:Bullshit. Check your sources. Whether open carry or concealed you need a license to carry a handgun in Indiana, and you can wait up to 15 days for said license.
Indiana? Don't need any kind of license or training to purchase and/or possess a handgun.
And stop moving the fucking goalposts. I specifically said carry a handgun FOR A REASON. I did not say "purchase" or "possess" or "transport in the trunk of your car" I said CARRY WHETHER OPEN OR CONCEALED. So stop pretending I said something else, asshole. You're deaf, not stupid.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

MKSheppard wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:It's fair to say that while AR-15s are technically not 'high powered' in the sense of high muzzle energy per bullet, they are unusually dangerous rifles due to their high rate and volume of fire and the ease of carrying great masses of ammunition.
You realize you're making the case for banning tons of fudd sporterized hunting rifles due to their ease of being rapidly reloaded from stripper clips, and the rapid rate of fire that a Mauser-type action allows?

https://youtu.be/haf9QURxO4E

Or by the way, this is being used to talk about restricting lever action guns in Australia due to the controversy over the Adler A110 lever action shotgun over there. :lol:
Basically, the argument "mass shooters are a threat, and we should restrict guns to reduce that threat" extends to whatever guns are most deadly. Exactly why or how those guns are most deadly is irrelevant.

You can engage with that argument and defeat it on its merits, I think. But for the sake of not being a dishonest loony, one should actually engage it, not laugh it off or fail to understand it.
TheFeniX wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:2) On the other hand, several high-profile mass shootings recently have involved nasty and highly dangerous rifles, enough to form a pattern, so we might want to at least consider if maybe they're too available.
The civilian AR-15 has been available for purchase since the 60s. It's recent popularity didn't just come out of a vacuum. So what happened?

Price dropped and availability went up. That said, remove it and what are mass killers left with? Multiple other guns that are functionally the same yet might cost a bit more. Fact is, the AR-15 is functionally the same as something like... [a boatload of other guns]...

You talk about the AR-15 like it's this magical weapon, way above the destructive capabilities of other firearms.
No, no I do not.

I do describe them as "unusually dangerous rifles," but that is in the same sense that my uncle is an "unusually tall man." He's six feet five inches tall- significantly and noticeably taller than average, but not "OH MY GOD GIANTS WALK AMONG US" tall. And yet... he is unusually tall. Well above average. If I call him "unusually tall," it is not me panicking, thinking of him as a supernatural creature, or otherwise acting like some cartoonish idiot.

So please stop strawmanning and actually listen to what I am trying to say.

My point is this. AR-15s, and numerous other models of firearms that can easily be used to shoot large crowds of people with an unusually high probability of killing many of them, are in some sense "more dangerous." Quite a few gun control advocates look at these "more dangerous" firearms. And they argue that these "more dangerous" or "more powerful" firearms should be restricted to reduce the risk of lone madmen shooting large crowds of people.

My point is simple: This argument at least makes sense. It is not disingenuous, it is not dishonest, it is not unusually stupid. It may be factually wrong, but it deserves to be taken seriously, not just mocked and subjected to semantic nitpicking.

That is literally all I am saying here.

It's like, if someone comes up to me and says the world was created last Tuesday, I will tell him he's an idiot loony.

But if someone tells me the world cannot really be four billion years old, because his thermodynamic calculations show that the Sun can't possibly have been burning for more than, oh, twenty million years, and the Earth must be younger than that... I will stop and politely explain to him why he is wrong. Because yes, he's wrong, he's ignorant of a fundamental fact about the universe, but intelligent people CAN make mistakes like that and deserve the courtesy of being actually corrected, rather than just mocked and ignored.

So at least stop and engage with the argument, and don't try to strawman it. When I get into gun control debates this happens a lot, because I keep trying to get both sides to cut down the bullshit. For some reason, this causes the pro-gun people to assume I'm just another generic ignoramus who knows nothing about weapons but who wants to take away all their guns. And the pro-control people assume I'm just another generic gun-humper who can't understand basic arguments like "Guns. Kill. People. Death. Is. Bad."

It's tiresome. Because seriously, this isn't a golden mean thing, I honestly am pretty sure one side is largely right and the other is largely wrong. But can we at least not lie and misrepresent and bullshit at each other while talking about it?
You could possibly make the argument that lower mag capacities would lower the body count, but you can't even guarantee that because mass-killers, like criminals, seem to alter their methods based on what tools are available to supply them the largest body count. For Americans, this mean guns with hi-ammo capacity. All your government lets you have is a knife? Go stab a bunch of toddlers. Or maybe, and after just going to a 4th of July celebration and thinking "I hope some idiot doesn't run the barricade and kill a bunch of people because Houston drivers are D-U-M, DUM, dealing with the scary shit of someone just driving a truck through a crowd.

This fight isn't about the weapon or the method. It's about identifying the at risk people and doing something about them before they can go for a gun, knife, truck, bomb, whatever. Because just accepting the possibility of a lower body count by banning hi-capacity weapons is the chicken-shit way out of it.
Now see, that is a serious argument addressing the issue on its merits- which was the correct response to General Zod's original argument.

The comment that Zod's example of a "high powered" rifle was in fact NOT a "high powered" rifle for purposes of technical discussion was, while legitimate, not a meaningful refutation of his argument. Which anyone who stopped to read it should have understood.

Channel72 wrote:Obviously, some people living in rural areas are complicit in illegal gun trafficking. Actually, "rural" isn't even a useful description here - it's more like any region, sub-urban, rural or even urban, in a state with much more relaxed gun laws that ends up trafficking guns to larger metropolitan areas. Places like Indiana and Wisconsin, which service Chicago, and Pennsylvania and Georgia, which service New York/New Jersey.

Yes, it's unfair to the majority of law-abiding gun owners. Shrug, I guess? What's even more unfair is the innocent bystanders who get caught in the crossfire, when criminals who benefit from illegal gun trafficking end up shooting at each other.
I don't think that federal gun bans are a sensible or appropriate response to this problem, though.

If the problem is gun traffickers, as opposed to "people outside the big cities own lots of guns," then the solution is to crack down on gun trafficking. It really is not hard to come up with measures that would tend to drastically suppress gun-running, while not having much effect on the availability of guns to legitimate owners and buyers.

Saying "just ban the guns" is like responding to alligator attacks by draining the swamp. It's understandable, but it's also disproportionate, even though alligator attacks are a big deal. There are other, better targeted measures that have better effects without trampling on the rights and lifestyles of millions of law-abiding citizens.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Broomstick wrote:For that matter, even a state like Indiana with what is considered very loose gun laws has licensing requirements for handguns similar to Illinois, and issues firearm ID's.
Broomstick wrote:And stop moving the fucking goalposts. I specifically said carry a handgun FOR A REASON. I did not say "purchase" or "possess" or "transport in the trunk of your car" I said CARRY WHETHER OPEN OR CONCEALED. So stop pretending I said something else, asshole. You're deaf, not stupid.
You moved the goalposts there Broomstick. Handguns require a FOID to even own in Illinois, not just to carry.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TheFeniX wrote:
Price dropped and availability went up. That said, remove it and what are mass killers left with? Multiple other guns that are functionally the same yet might cost a bit more. Fact is, the AR-15 is functionally the same as something like the Mini-14 (which has been around since the 70s). They both accept the same mags.

Nitpick, the Mini-14 uses different mags than ARs do.

As an aside, the biggest mass shooting(in body count) by an individual in history was conducted with a Mini-14 in Oslo, as well as the one biggest mass shooting in Canada. Despite this, I've had people seriously tell me that AR and AKs are especially deadly because of their ergonomics, so it's perfectly reasonable to ban them but now Mini-14s.

The Mini 14 remains legal in all 50 states because the base ranch rifle model looks traditional enough that people don't lose their minds over it. My GF, when introduced to the gun collection, asked if that was the "hunting rifle" when it came out.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:
See; the shooter in Baton Rouge used a Tavor -- he had a AR-15 in the trunk of his car that wasn't used.

Black former Nation of Islam ex Marine uses Jewish rifle to shoot cops regardless of color.

We are truly in a post-racial society.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Beowulf wrote:You moved the goalposts there Broomstick. Handguns require a FOID to even own in Illinois, not just to carry.
And in a subsequent post I spoke of carry, not just ownership. Nice cherrypicking.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

A magazine is just a box with a spring, I am sure an armorer out there could, relatively easily, make a high capacity magazine for a mini-14. Hell, most guns that people have utilize a technology over a hundred years old now, even the AR series is pushing over 40 years now. A musket is deadly though considered obsolete. Hell, a bow could be of better use than some modern guns.

Someone with a rolling block rifle taking well aimed shots could do far more damage than these idiots on full auto. Add to this that we have not seen a belt fed operated by a competent marksman is a very good thing I hope never happens.

The problem isn't the gun; it is the idiot pulling the trigger. The only legitimate concern I can see is easier access for suicide, and I think every can agree that is a mental health issue.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

AG Healey of Massachusetts has sent out a directive closing "assault weapon loopholes".

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/201 ... story.html

Of note:
The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal. Assault weapons prohibited under our laws cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts.
This is potentially a ban on all semiautomatic rifles, even if the otherwise meet the feature requirement of assault weapons. Por Ejemplo, a Mini-14 in a Tactical Stock is considered a featured Assault Weapon under MA's AWB. Guess what? A standard, featureless Ranch Rifle now meets the definition of assault weapon since it has the same operating system.

Additional fun: All DI firearms are also going to meet the metric, so if you have a Ljungman, it could now be referred to as a assault weapon since it uses the same operating system as a AR.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Zwinmar wrote:A magazine is just a box with a spring, I am sure an armorer out there could, relatively easily, make a high capacity magazine for a mini-14. Hell, most guns that people have utilize a technology over a hundred years old now, even the AR series is pushing over 40 years now. A musket is deadly though considered obsolete. Hell, a bow could be of better use than some modern guns.

Someone with a rolling block rifle taking well aimed shots could do far more damage than these idiots on full auto. Add to this that we have not seen a belt fed operated by a competent marksman is a very good thing I hope never happens.

The problem isn't the gun; it is the idiot pulling the trigger. The only legitimate concern I can see is easier access for suicide, and I think every can agree that is a mental health issue.
A magazine is 'just a box with a spring'... but unless you get it right, there are going to be feed issues, fit issues, and what not. There's a reason you don't see people just using cereal-box cardboard and pulling out springs from Nerf guns to make magazines-- I'm sure it *could* be done, but it wouldn't be very efficient, useful, or safe.

A rolling-block rifle using well aimed shots could do more damage, sure... but a.) the marksman would have to be competent, b.) the firing rate would be far slower (two-three aimed shots a minute IIRC), and c.) most rolling-block rifles nowadays are black powder hence there would be a lot of smoke in between shots. And of course we haven't seen someone using a belt-fed gun; not only are those highly difficult to get and very expensive, the cost of ammunition itself would be crippling, and a decent amount of training is required to use them well in order to prevent jams and bad feeds. There are some DIY type kits you can use to convert existing guns into belt feeds I think, but most of them are kinda borderline in some fashion or other (legality, efficiency, practicality).

So the fact of the matter is that while yes, the person using the gun is pretty important... the gun does matter to some degree. A gun that makes it easier to send a lot of shots down-range is a gun that will make it easier for someone to kill a lot of people quickly. That's what it comes down to, plain and simple.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The problem with the assumption that an armorer can do something is that basically, an armorer might as well build a submachine gun. It would be like WW2 Sten machine gun (I read an article where illegal armorers were actually building such) that would be crappy guns by modern standards, but still enough to kill more than one person. These weapons were specifically designed to be home-made by rebels during WW2, to be easily mass-produced and the blueprints for them are widely available online.

Building a submachine gun is harder than just modifying existing guns, yes, but I think it's something to keep in mind while talking about armorers.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Um... perhaps the word "gunsmith" would be better in this context than "armorer", which would seem to be a different specialty. Just sayin'...

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Broomstick wrote:Um... perhaps the word "gunsmith" would be better in this context than "armorer", which would seem to be a different specialty. Just sayin'...
Not really because armor has not been mentioned in the thread (I think) and not relevant. As for the term:
Dictionary.com says
1. a maker or repairer of arms or armor.
2. a person who manufactures, repairs, or services firearms.
3. an enlisted person in charge of the upkeep of small arms, machine guns, ammunition, and the like.
Of course, it does not have to be an armorer. There are a variety of metal workers that have the tools and training to making mechanisms for a gun. It has happened in the past with rebellions, such as WW2 or even inmore recent conflicts.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

'Armorer' is more used in the Anglosphere, I think, than in the US, where 'gunsmith' is a more common usage. That said, gunsmithing is not a terribly difficult matter; it's mostly a matter of understanding the materials and tolerances necessary, and following machining directions. If you can machine... say, engine parts, you can probably machine a reasonable approximation of a firearm without too much trouble.

EDIT to note for any nitpicking pedants in this thread, obviously I don't mean to say they can turn out a factory-quality AR-15 in the first go, nor that they would be able to do that without all the necessary equipment; a $3000 mill for garage use isn't going to cut the mustard for anything more complex than a simple bolt action or extremely simple semi-machinegun along the lines of the Sten. However, they *can* do that fairly basic gunsmithing with a minimum of experience and tools. With more experience and tools, of course, they could possibly do more, but then they could well run into materials issues... and there I'll leave it, as my experience with gunsmithing is strictly only from casual reading in the hunting/guns section of the magazine aisle...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Been busy today so I only have time to respond to one thing today:

GUNPOCALYPSE MASSACHUSETTS
Lonestar wrote:AG Healey of Massachusetts has sent out a directive closing "assault weapon loopholes".
First learned about this at about 9 AM this morning when certain forums started lighting up.

Turns out that the Massachusetts AG posted an op ed in the Boston Globe:

Link to Op Ed

LOINSTARS already posted it. But it's worth reading it in full:
ORLANDO. BATON ROUGE. Falcon Heights. Dallas. Baton Rouge again.

Five horrific headlines in five weeks. Each story unique in its circumstances, but bound by a common thread: human lives taken by a gun.

There are myriad issues underlying each of these tragedies: fear, racism, mistrust, hate. These are critical issues that we, as a country, have an obligation to honestly and forthrightly address. And they’re issues my office is working hard to tackle alongside our partners in the community, in law enforcement, and in government.

But there’s one issue that can be addressed right now — the proliferation of guns, particularly assault weapons.

Here in Massachusetts, 10,000 assault weapons were sold just in the last year — each one nearly identical to the rifle used to gun down 49 innocent people in Orlando. In the week after the Pulse nightclub massacre, sales of weapons strikingly similar to the Sig Sauer MCX used at Pulse jumped as high as 450 percent over the previous week — just in Massachusetts.

View Story
Want to buy an assault rifle in Florida? No problem
The massacre of 49 people at an Orlando nightclub is raising questions about access to guns.
Supreme Court rejects challenges to state assault weapons bans
Seth Moulton says assault rifles ‘have no place on America’s streets’
Gun used in Orlando shooting becoming mass shooters’ weapon of choice
Editorial: Make it stop

It’s no surprise the Orlando killer chose an AR-15 style assault rifle. It’s a weapon of war, originally created for combat, and designed to kill many people in a short amount of time with incredible accuracy. It’s in the same category as weapons chosen by killers in Newtown, Aurora, and San Bernardino. These are not weapons of self-defense. They are weapons used to commit mass murder. And they have no business being in civilian hands.

How in Massachusetts, then, home to some of the strongest gun laws in the country, do we allow people to buy these guns?

The gun industry has found a way to exploit our laws, a loophole of potentially horrific proportions. And it’s time we act.

The Massachusetts assault weapons ban mirrors the federal ban Congress allowed to expire in 2004. It prohibits the sale of specific weapons like the Colt AR-15 and AK-47 and explicitly bans “copies or duplicates” of those weapons. But gun manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to define what a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon is. They market “state compliant” copycat versions of their assault weapons to Massachusetts buyers. They sell guns without a flash suppressor or folding or telescoping stock, for example, small tweaks that do nothing to limit the lethalness of the weapon.

That will end now. On Wednesday, we are sending a directive to all gun manufacturers and dealers that makes clear that the sale of these copycat assault weapons is illegal in Massachusetts. With this directive, we will ensure we get the full protection intended when lawmakers enacted our assault weapons ban, not the watered-down version of those protections offered by gun manufacturers.

The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal. Assault weapons prohibited under our laws cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts.

We recognize that most residents who purchased these guns in the past believed they were doing so legally, so this directive will not apply to possession of guns purchased before Wednesday. In the dozen years since the federal assault weapons ban lapsed, only seven states have instituted their own assault weapons ban. Many of those bans have been challenged (unsuccessfully) by the gun industry, and we anticipate our directive may be too. But our job is to enforce state laws and to keep people safe. This directive does both.

In the face of utter inaction by Congress, states have a duty to enact and enforce laws that protect people from gun violence. If Washington won’t use its power to get these guns off our streets, we will. Not only do we have the legal authority to do so, we have a moral obligation to do so.

Maura Healey is the attorney general of Massachusetts.
Shortly afterwards on twitter this appeared:
Maura Healey – Verified account ?@MassAGO

Today, we're taking steps to keep deadly assault weapons off our streets. We'll have more to say at 11 am.
At 11 AM, there was a live presser with the following graphic aid (was at work, so I wasn't able to follow it):

No transcript has surfaced yet. but there are some news articles on the presser now:

LINK
“Today we’re putting gun manufacturers and gun dealers on notice: We’re cracking down on the sale of illegal assault weapons,” said Healey.

Healey said over the years, manufacturers made minor revisions to the guns then marketed them to dealers as “Massachusetts compliant.” But, she said, that was false advertising because the weapons still performed the same as the banned assault rifles, making them illegal under state law.

“The gun industry doesn’t get to decide what’s compliant,” she said. “We do.”
Healey’s office sent notice to 350 gun dealers around the state on Tuesday informing them of the crackdown on the law. She insisted it was not a change in the 1998 law but rather a reinforcement of what the law states. Healey said she’s had conversations with lawmakers, including Senate President Stan Rosenberg, and said she’s confident she’s upholding the legislative intent.

She said people who bought the guns believing they were legal will be allowed to keep them but any dealers who have them in stock must either send them back to the manufacturer or sell them to out-of-state dealers.
Link
"My office's actions today will give us the full protections of the state's assault weapons ban to do what it was intended to do and not leave it to the gun manufacturers' self appointed interpretation," Healey said. "The gun industry doesn't get to decide what's compliant. We do."
Apparently letters are going out to all 350~ FFLs in Massachusetts with this (supposedly)
A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate and is therefore a prohibited Assault weapon if it meets one or both of the following tests and is 1) a semiautomatic rifle or handgun that was manufactured or subsequently configured with an ability to accept a detachable magazine, or 2) a semiautomatic shotgun

Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.

Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is the same as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver will be treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weapon if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine port.

If a weapon meets one of the above tests, it is a Copy or Duplicate (and therefore a prohibited Assault weapon), even if it is marketed as “state compliant” or “Massachusetts compliant.”

The fact that a weapon is or has been marketed by the manufacturer on the basis that it is the same as or substantially similar to one or more Enumerated Weapons will be relevant to identifying whether the weapon is a Copy or Duplicate (and therefore a prohibited Assault weapon) under the applicable test(s). Under Section 121, the Features Test in the former 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) remains an independent basis for qualification as an Assault weapon.

If a weapon, as manufactured or originally assembled, is a Copy or Duplicate under one or both of the applicable tests, it remains a prohibited Assault weapon even if it is altered by the seller. Therefore, a Copy or Duplicate will be treated as an Assault weapon even if it is altered, for example,
by pinning the folding or telescoping stock in a fixed position, by removing the pistol grip, by removing a bayonet mount or flash suppressor,
or by preventing the weapon from accepting a detachable magazine.

Purely cosmetic similarities to an Enumerated Weapon, such as finish, appearance, or shape of the stock, or appearance or shape of the rail,
will not be treated as relevant to a determination of whether a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate.
There's already a website by the MA AG on this:

LINK TO MA AG WEBSITE

Interesting point so far -- if you look at this wording:

Interchangeability Test: (SNIP............SNIP) Such operating components may include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine port.

It appears that anything that accepts NATO STANAG magazines (a defacto standard) is banned, even if it's a pump action rifle like the Remington Model 7615.

MA has done this head game before.

On Oct 21, 1998; MA AG ruled that Glocks weren't allowed due to a no loaded chamber indicator.

On May 12, 2004 the MA AG's office allowed Glock to sell pistols once again on the condition that they were MA Compliant. They were Gen 3 Glocks with their current extractor, a NY2 Trigger, and were labeled "MA.Compliant" on the box. The MA AG changed their mind on June 30, 2004 and halted the sale of Glocks once again.

The MA AG at the time and Glock could not come to an agreement on what a loaded chamber indicator is and halted the sale of Glocks once again. All of those sold between May 2004 to June 2004 are verboten in MA.

What this means

It's YUUUUUUGE.

And it also means that once again, every ammosexual who panic bought an ARMALYTE BABY KILLING MACHINE WITH THE SHOULDER THING THAT GOES UP was proven correct in panic buying, because once you have it, there's not much they can really do about it...(so far).

hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

sounds like MA is attempting to ban all weapons
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

hunter5 wrote:sounds like MA is attempting to ban all weapons
Pretty much. Their strategy is pretty brazen: ban "assault weapons" for having superficial features and then ban everything else for not having those superficial features "to close the assault weapon loophole".

It would be like banning red cars because "red ones go faster" and then banning non-red cars because they are functionally identical to red cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. It sounds like Massachusetts wrote a poorly designed gun ban that focused on superficial features of the guns, thus making it entirely possible to market "Massachusetts-compliant" guns that were functionally identical to the guns they'd intended to ban.

Now, years later, the executive branch responsible for enforcing the law realizes how stupid they were and are trying to retcon a highly specific law to cover a broader category of weapons, which they presumably couldn't muster the political support to ban broadly the last time around.

This is another example of my general point that what I cannot stand in gun rights debates is institutionalized dishonesty. And frankly, the law enforcement in pro-ban states tends to get very dishonest. Realizing this has done a lot to push me away from the pro-gun-control stance I had when I was younger. I don't want to be in the same tent with people who have this kind of cavalier approach to lawmaking.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Simon_Jester wrote:Yeah. It sounds like Massachusetts wrote a poorly designed gun ban that focused on superficial features of the guns, thus making it entirely possible to market "Massachusetts-compliant" guns that were functionally identical to the guns they'd intended to ban.
It's actually the 1994 Brady AWB copied almost word for word, into MA state law -- it's the 1998 Gun Control Act. Biggest difference: no sunset clause.
This is another example of my general point that what I cannot stand in gun rights debates is institutionalized dishonesty. And frankly, the law enforcement in pro-ban states tends to get very dishonest. Realizing this has done a lot to push me away from the pro-gun-control stance I had when I was younger. I don't want to be in the same tent with people who have this kind of cavalier approach to lawmaking.
As someone on a different board stated:

So they passed a law and were upset that people complied with their law, because they didn't really want compliance. They wanted total prohibition, which is unconstitutional.

MA is proving that the "common sense gun laws that respect 2A rights" argument that the left has been using is a total lie.

Not that we didn't know this already.