Standoff in Nevada as Militias "mobilize" to support rancher

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: Standoff in Nevada as Militias "mobilize" to support ran

Post by Kuja »

Borgholio wrote:From what it seems to me, you have the founding fathers and Republican heroes (Lincoln, Reagan, etc...) trying to help the poor white man who is in need (despite there being plenty of money should he get up off his lazy ass to get it, which is what makes that whole scene hilarious).
If I had to guess about the money (I haven't watched the video Napo linked) it's probably supposed to be some kind of commentary on how American money is worthless because of inflation and lack of jobs and how other countries' economies are growing while the evil Federal gubment keeps ours in the toilet. It seems like it's trying to evoke the image of those Great Depression-era pictures of people carting around wheelbarrows full of Deutchmarks and burning paper money to stay warm.
JADAFETWA
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Just a heads up before anyone asks… The painter of the painting IS serious, its not satire.
For a horrifically in-depth look into one of his paintings CLICK HERE (If you dare) Where the painter will go into mind numbingly detailed explanations of every tiny thing in his painting!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Siege wrote:If "... but at least no-one is trying to murder me" is your Hail Mary pass then you must be in dire straits indeed. Because that's the barest goddamn minimum required to qualify as a civilization. How the mighty have fallen, etc.
You know it's actually true that a good number of countries in this world are living a hand-to-mouth existence where there are really no safe places to live, right? So I'd say that a place where I can live in relative peace with my family and waste my time on this site instead of scavenging for food or fending off roaming gangs of thugs is less of a Hail Mary and more of an example of what a (mostly) functional country should be like.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It looks as though most of his blurbs are just... "this is who this is." Not much sophistication in the symbolism, which I suppose is inevitable when your goal is to pack in a 'cast of hundreds' into one painting and you aren't really thinking it over.

And when, frankly, your mental concept of the early history of this country and its major historical figures is as semi-faceless, semi-deified members of a mythical pantheon, whose words and deeds are more important for inspiration than for historical understanding. You don't need to know what George Washington was, or why Jefferson and Adams were at each other's throats, or anything of the sort. They were the Founding Fathers.
Siege wrote:If "... but at least no-one is trying to murder me" is your Hail Mary pass then you must be in dire straits indeed. Because that's the barest goddamn minimum required to qualify as a civilization. How the mighty have fallen, etc.
Uh... why are you turning this into a dig at the US?

My original point was that a lot of these militia clowns have lived fairly sheltered, privileged lives, in large part because they grew up in a country with a strong central government and a functional economy created by a working social safety net. They may not be rich, but the idea that they're actually being oppressed is, in many cases, a complete figment of their imagination.

The idea of them having to go up against real revolutionaries who have been hardened by struggling against a truly oppressive government, or even just by armed and organized people willing to violently defend THEIR rights against casual infringement by the militia, is one that I find darkly amusing.

[suppresses impulse to make SDNW4 reference]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

It's not a dig against "the US". It's a dig against the thought that "at least the government isn't trying to kill us" is something to single out for appreciation. "No random killing" isn't praise, it's the barest minimum you should expect. In that sense I have more respect for these militia yokels: at least they're standing up for something more than that.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Just a heads up before anyone asks… The painter of the painting IS serious, its not satire.
For a horrifically in-depth look into one of his paintings CLICK HERE (If you dare) Where the painter will go into mind numbingly detailed explanations of every tiny thing in his painting!
He seems to love Roosevelt on that one.

Anyways, I like this version better: http://i5.minus.com/iT9gBOC94PbmU.jpg
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Siege wrote:It's not a dig against "the US". It's a dig against the thought that "at least the government isn't trying to kill us" is something to single out for appreciation. "No random killing" isn't praise, it's the barest minimum you should expect. In that sense I have more respect for these militia yokels: at least they're standing up for something more than that.
Of the latter I'm actually not quite sure. Rightwingers like these act like loud, tough bad asses because they actually do know they won't just get dronestriked to pieces. They're more like overgrown manchildren playing superhero.

If they were actually in danger of an overwhelming government response I'd wager they'd quickly run crying into the bushes, leaving noticeable trails of urine behind.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Siege wrote:It's not a dig against "the US". It's a dig against the thought that "at least the government isn't trying to kill us" is something to single out for appreciation. "No random killing" isn't praise, it's the barest minimum you should expect. In that sense I have more respect for these militia yokels: at least they're standing up for something more than that.
It's not that I appreciate this especially, it's that due to the fact that the government in the US protects citizens rather than harming them, these militia yokels have a lot less to complain about than real revolutionaries... and, I suspect, would be far less likely to stand up under real hardships or danger.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Simon_Jester wrote:My original point was that a lot of these militia clowns have lived fairly sheltered, privileged lives
Privileged? :P
Bundy Ranch's Armed Defenders Seek Welfare to Sit Around Doing Nothing

The life of an ever-vigilant anti-government armed patriot is hard. And by hard, I mean dull and unproductive. Also, not very profitable. Maybe that's why all those guys hanging out cleaning their guns in Nevada are now begging hard-working Americans to please give them some money.

One enterprising ranch defender needs funds so badly, he's taken to GoFundMe:

To all American Patriots:

I am the Team Leader that took Charlie Delta, the black marine, out to Nevada along with two other volunteers that all did an outstanding job at the Bundy Ranch. I understand most of you have come to know Charlie Delta through his expressed views on Cliven Bundy and the good we are all doing as patriots at the ranch. I am coming to you tonight humbly asking for your help. We may be the front line soldiers facing down an overbearing govt bureaucracy, but we are first off family men and women that have our own homes and jobs and families left behind to take on this endeavor. Therefore we have spent our fortunes for freedom and love of our fellow man and need your help to continue our efforts to keep all Americans free from tyranny. Please if you can spare even a few dollars for food, fuel and supplies to continue the stand against tyranny and an overbearing governtment [sic] please help. Even the smallext amount will help keep up the pressure to return this land to the people. I thank you all sincerely for your contribution.

Christopher E Ferrell

United we stand! Divided we fall!

Chris isn't alone in opting for unemployment assistance to play soldier out in the desert. Another self-appointed militia bigwig, Blaine Cooper, took up a GoFundMe collection "for gas, and expenses to help in our fight with the bundies all money will be used for food and gas........." (his page has since been taken down but is cached here.)

How's the welfare drive going? Shitty. Cooper, who's been something of a celeb in the cause (and is incensed that prison inmates get free food), made just under $1,500 in a month and a half. Ferrell, meanwhile, has netted $170 from five donors... well short of his $100,000 goal. Sheesh. Why don't these losers get jobs?
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Good thing I never had any respect for those militia morons to begin with or this would have been quite the disappointment. Sovereign citizens, eh? All a citizens rights amd none of the duties. We should call them Peter Pans since their most defining feature seems to be to never grow up.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Irbis wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:My original point was that a lot of these militia clowns have lived fairly sheltered, privileged lives
So they're basically grown up LARPers, instead of toy soldiers they graduated to real guns. The way they write and talk just reminds me of a role player just more scary out of touch.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

LARPers listen to the GM.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

LARPers are also usually capable of distinguishing between reality and fantasy.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

madd0ct0r wrote:LARPers listen to the GM.
The problem is that these LARPers think God is the GM.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Well, I think it's more that every individual militiamen thinks of himself as the GM.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Meest wrote:
Irbis wrote:
Heh. Well, when I said 'privileged' I didn't mean 'part of the wealthy elite.' I meant 'having privilege' in the sense of 'check your privilege.'

Basically, there is a great deal of horrible shit that these militiamen have not had to deal with, because their race, their ancestry, and their government effectively protects them from it. Many in the world (including America) lack some or all of those advantages. So I describe the militiamen as "privileged" even though they are probably not wealthy men.