Palin Discussion [split]

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Now I don't know how fringy she really is but this should have been a GIANT red flag in any decent vetting operation. So beyond the fact that her recent remarks would seem to indicate some continued support for the AIP position it again makes one question whether McCain did ANY vetting on her at all.
Almost no vetting at all was done before choosing her as VP:
Strategy08.com wrote:John McCain: Ready to Vet on Day Three

From Andrew Halcro, who was one of the Republicans who ran against Palin in 2006.

The campaign of John McCain has sent a staff of eight people into Alaska to conduct background checks and vetting on Governor Sarah Palin.

Word is they have have eight rooms reserved at a Wasilla hotel.

Absolutely stunning. It is clear they did next to no vetting whatsoever:

The McCain campaign has gone to great lengths to present the selection of Sarah Palin as one made after a careful, meticulous vetting process. But evidence continues to suggest that the Arizona Republican made his VP choice with surprising haste.

On Saturday, a Democrat tasked with opposition research contacted the Huffington Post with this piece of information: as of this weekend, the McCain campaign had not gone through old newspaper articles from the Valley Frontiersman, Palin’s hometown newspaper.

How does he know? The paper’s (massive) archives are not online. And when he went to research past content, he was told he was the first to inquire.

“No one else had requested access before,” said the source. “It’s unbelievable. We were the only people to do that, which means the McCain camp didn’t.”
Let me guess, McCain's gut told him what to do.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

SirNitram wrote:
Second, on my morning browsing the latest indication that Palin may not have been vetted is that she is apprently a past member of the "Alaka Independence Party" which advocates for Alaskan secession, revocation of federal ownership of Alaskan land, open exploitation of all land in Alaska. The current VP of the AIP has a quote that she was a member at some point prior to her job as mayor (96-02) before joing the Republican party. The video is here at starting at the 6 minute mark. There is also a video of her addressing the AIP convention from this year availablehere.

Now I don't know how fringy she really is but this should have been a GIANT red flag in any decent vetting operation. So beyond the fact that her recent remarks would seem to indicate some continued support for the AIP position it again makes one question whether McCain did ANY vetting on her at all.
You think so?

Link
Dissolution of the United States Government

A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION PROPOSING THE DISSOLUTION OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IF CERTAIN CONDITIONS OCCUR
That's rather serious.. Especially since one of the conditions is any federal order regarding the confiscation of firearms from an individual.
I find this very disturbing.

I had heard that she had been "an Independent" before registering as a Republican, but most Americans hearing that would think "independent" in the sense of Joe Liberman - neither Dem or Repub but still fairly mainstream. They would not have though of the "Alaskan Independent Party" which, given the way things get abbreviated, could also be truncated to "Independent".

The thing is, this is a secessionist party, and an anti-Federalist one. How could the Repubs have missed this? The question of "can a state secede" was settled in 1865, and the answer is "no" on a brutally practical level. That's radical politics.

Granted, she could have had a change of heart, but you have to wonder, don't you? Why would an anti-Federalist secessionist want to aspire to the second highest political office, with a possibility of becoming Commander in Chief? And do we want such a person in that position?

I find it boggling that she was chosen as McCain's VP, and I have to wonder if the "vetting team" was sitting in Wasillia with their thumbs up their asses.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Broomstick wrote:
I find it boggling that she was chosen as McCain's VP, and I have to wonder if the "vetting team" was sitting in Wasillia with their thumbs up their asses.
I thought it was confirmed they basically knew nothing about her and that she was an emergency pick on Thursday night because Lieberman was too controversial and Pawlenty too boring.

If so, that'd explain it.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Palin on Library censorship

Politico
According to the Frontiersman newspaper, Wasilla’s library director, Mary Ellen Emmons, said that Palin asked her outright if she "could live with censorship of library books.” Palin later dismissed the conversation as a “rhetorical” exercise.

The Atlantic
Wasilla Mayor Sarah Palin fired the city's police chief and the library director without warning Thursday, accusing them of not fully supporting her efforts to govern. Irl Stambaugh and Mary Ellen Emmons said letters signed by Palin were dropped on their desks Thursday afternoon telling them their jobs were over as of Feb. 13 and that they no longer needed to report to work.

Not fully supporting her efforts to govern? Hmmm. From the ADN

Emmons has been the city's library director for seven years. Stambaugh has headed the police department since it was created in 1993. Before that, he served 22 years with the Anchorage Police Department rising to the rank of captain before retiring. While both struggled with Palin when she was first elected in October, they said the letters caught them off guard. Both had publicly supported Palin's opponent, long-time mayor John Stein, during the campaign last fall. When she was elected, Palin questioned their loyalty and even initially asked for their resignations. But both said Thursday that they thought things had been worked out. ''After the initial roller coaster, we were ready to work for Mayor Palin,'' Emmons said. ''Unfortunately I think we were both fired for politics.''

Palin, when asked by a reporter about the firings, first denied that they had happened. When the reporter went back to the police chief:

Stambaugh's response was to read part of the letter given to him. ''Although I appreciate your service as police chief, I've decided it's time for a change. I do not feel I have your full support in my efforts to govern the city of Wasilla. Therefore I intend to terminate your employment. . . . '' ''If that's not a letter of termination, I don't know what is,'' he said.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If the choice of Palin sinks McCain's bid at the Presidency I'm all for it.

But I just hope this woman does NOT end up in charge of the country.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Broomstick wrote:If the choice of Palin sinks McCain's bid at the Presidency I'm all for it.

But I just hope this woman does NOT end up in charge of the country.
Well, if these 'details' keep popping up like this, you may not have to worry. The information that I've relayed back to some people I know have already turned them (typically staunch Republicans) completely against McCain, mostly on account of Palin. They also do not want this lady being in charge of the country.
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

One of the points that I keep coming back to, personally, is that while Obama is a relatively young, healthy man he choose a VP who is both experienced in politics and also, although older, in (apparent) good health himself who could take over if necessary.

Bush picked Cheney, with poor health. Well, OK, Bush himself is healthy and there's a clear line of succession behind Cheney if HE keels over, most of whom are at least as competent as Bush (which, admittedly isn't saying a lot).

McCain picked a "hockey mom" with issues. And McCain is both elderly and with health problems, even if they are under control. What the fuck was he thinking? If he wins, then expires, we'd be left with Palin in office and no easy way to replace her if she proves incompetent or a liability. This country can't afford a bimbo in the Oval Office.

Are the Republicans trying to deliberately throw the election or something? Or are they really that clueless?

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Broomstick wrote:One of the points that I keep coming back to, personally, is that while Obama is a relatively young, healthy man he choose a VP who is both experienced in politics and also, although older, in (apparent) good health himself who could take over if necessary.

Bush picked Cheney, with poor health. Well, OK, Bush himself is healthy and there's a clear line of succession behind Cheney if HE keels over, most of whom are at least as competent as Bush (which, admittedly isn't saying a lot).

McCain picked a "hockey mom" with issues. And McCain is both elderly and with health problems, even if they are under control. What the fuck was he thinking? If he wins, then expires, we'd be left with Palin in office and no easy way to replace her if she proves incompetent or a liability. This country can't afford a bimbo in the Oval Office.

Are the Republicans trying to deliberately throw the election or something? Or are they really that clueless?
Oh there would be an easy enough way to replace her, impeach then trial by Senate (which may even have enough votes to run it through after this year). If they do it faster than she can appoint a new VP then the line of succession devolves to Pelosi. I'm assuming she would still be speaker though I've never actually bothered to check if she meets the requirements of the office. If she doesn't then it goes to Byrd.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Broomstick wrote:Are the Republicans trying to deliberately throw the election or something? Or are they really that clueless?
I think McCain is just that feckless. His campaign has been one train wreck to the next from the get go. Remember, he nearly had to drop out due to his campaign being utterly bankrupt. I think clueless is exactly what it is.

Palin looks a lot like a pandering, pathetic strategy dictated by the McCain campaigns weaknesses. Unsurprisingly that's now backfiring badly.
CmdrWilkens wrote:Oh there would be an easy enough way to replace her, impeach then trial by Senate (which may even have enough votes to run it through after this year). If they do it faster than she can appoint a new VP then the line of succession devolves to Pelosi. I'm assuming she would still be speaker though I've never actually bothered to check if she meets the requirements of the office. If she doesn't then it goes to Byrd.
I hope you're just speaking hypoethetically because that'll never happen. The Republicans would, not entirely unjustly, scream coup and who knows where things would stand at the end of it. No sane Democrat would be part of that.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Broomstick wrote:Are the Republicans trying to deliberately throw the election or something? Or are they really that clueless?
They're used to goose-stepping loyalty from their underlings. Remember, a Karl Rove campaign never tries to appeal to anyone's intellectual or economic concerns. It's far more visceral than that. The GOP campaign strategy is firmly rooted in the predictability of scared, desperate people. It appeals to a tribal mentality, and so it just assumes that women will vote with their tribe.

They're so blindly devoted to this strategy that they ignored the historical fact of Geraldine Ferraro. The problem with trying to sway groups with histories of disenfranchisement with these kinds of tactics is that they know a collaborator when they smell one. And that's exactly what Sarah Palin comes off as to the PUMA people. As a collaborator.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

More on censorship
Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." The librarian, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire her for not giving "full support" to the mayor.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Lobbying ties let Palin milk the Feds for cash
ST. PAUL, Minn., Sept. 1 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor, according to an analysis by an independent government watchdog group.

There was $500,000 for a youth shelter, $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project -- all intended to benefit Palin's town, Wasilla, located about 45 miles north of Anchorage.

In introducing Palin as his running mate on Friday, Sen. John McCain cast her as a compatriot in his battle against wasteful federal spending. McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, hailed Palin as a politician "with an outstanding reputation for standing up to special interests and entrenched bureaucracies -- someone who has fought against corruption and the failed policies of the past, someone who's stopped government from wasting taxpayers' money."

McCain's crusade against earmarks -- federal spending sought by members of Congress to benefit specific projects -- has been a hallmark of his campaign. He has said earmarks are wasteful and are often inserted into bills with little oversight, sometimes by a single powerful lawmaker.

Palin has also railed against earmarks, touting her opposition to a $223 million bridge in the state as a prime credential for the vice presidential nomination. "As governor, I've stood up to the old politics-as-usual, to the special interests, to the lobbyists, the big oil companies, and the good-ol'-boy network," she said Friday.

As mayor of Wasilla, however, Palin oversaw the hiring of Robertson, Monagle & Eastaugh, an Anchorage-based law firm with close ties to Alaska's most senior Republicans: Rep. Don Young and Sen. Ted Stevens, who was indicted in July on charges of accepting illegal gifts. The Wasilla account was handled by the former chief of staff to Stevens, Steven W. Silver, who is a partner in the firm.

Palin was elected mayor of Wasilla in 1996 on a campaign theme of "a time for change." According to a review of congressional spending by Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog group in Washington, Wasilla did not receive any federal earmarks in the first few years of Palin's tenure.

Senate records show that Silver's firm began working for Palin in early 2000, just as federal money began flowing.

In fiscal 2000, Wasilla received a $1 million earmark, tucked into a transportation appropriations bill, for a rail and bus project in the town. And in the winter of 2000, Palin appeared before congressional appropriations committees to seek earmarks, according to a report in the Anchorage Daily News.

Palin and the Wasilla City Council increased Silver's fee from $24,000 to $36,000 a year by 2001, Senate records show.

Soon after, the city benefited from additional earmarks: $500,000 for a mental health center, $500,000 for the purchase of federal land and $450,000 to rehabilitate an agricultural processing facility. Then there was the $15 million rail project, intended to connect Wasilla with the town of Girdwood, where Stevens has a house.

The Washington trip is now an annual event for Wasilla officials.

In fiscal year 2002, Wasilla took in $6.1 million in earmarks -- about $1,000 in federal money for every resident. By contrast, Boise, Idaho -- which has more than 190,000 residents -- received $6.9 million in earmarks in fiscal 2008.

All told, Wasilla benefited from $26.9 million in earmarks in Palin's final four years in office.

"She certainly wasn't shy about putting the old-boy network to use to bring home millions of dollars," said Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense. "She's a little more savvy to the ways of Washington than she's let on."

Silver, reached by phone at his Vienna home, declined to comment. Wasilla's town offices were closed Monday for the Labor Day holiday.

Maria Comella, Palin's campaign spokeswoman, said Palin sought the Wasilla earmarks because she was "working in the best interests of Alaska, working within the confines of the current system."

Palin became a staunch reform advocate after her 2003 appointment to the state's Oil and Gas Commission. She accused another commissioner -- Alaska Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich -- of raising campaign contributions from industries he was regulating. "She realized that the environment around her was no longer what it once was, and elected officials were abusing their power," Comella said.

Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, used to secure earmarks for public nonprofits in Illinois, but he announced last year that he would no longer seek earmarks for any entity. Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (Del.), Obama's running mate, co-sponsored $85.6 million in earmarks for 2008, according to one study.

The Palin earmarks came when Stevens was chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee and Young was a senior member of the House transportation committee.

In hiring Silver, Wasilla found someone who was a member of each lawmaker's inner circle. Silver has donated at least $11,400 to Stevens's political committees and $10,000 to Young's reelection committee in the past decade, according to Federal Election Commission records.

Sliver's firm employed Stevens's son, Ben Stevens, in the late 1990s as a federal lobbyist, according to multiple media accounts. Ben Stevens was not listed on lobbying disclosure forms as having worked on Wasilla earmarks.

The firm became ensnared in the wide-ranging federal investigation of corruption by Alaska Republican officials. Federal agents reviewed records about its other municipal clients, as well as fishing companies represented by Robertson, Monagle & Eastaugh that were close to Ben Stevens.

The investigation has increasingly focused on Veco, a now-defunct energy services company whose chief executive, Bill Allen Jr., pleaded guilty in May 2007 to bribing Alaska officials.

Ted Stevens is awaiting trial on charges that he accepted more than $250,000 in unreported gifts from Allen. Ben Stevens, who has not been charged, has been identified in court documents as having accepted more than $240,000 in consulting payments in exchange for legislative favors while he served in the state Senate.

A Veco executive testified last year in a criminal trial that Allen had ordered him to arrange annual fundraisers for Young. The congressman has not been charged with any crimes.

After becoming governor, Palin became a critic of Young and the Stevenses. She endorsed Young's opponent in a Republican primary last week that is still too close to call, and last year she demanded Ben Stevens's resignation as Alaska's member of the Republican National Committee. She has also criticized Ted Stevens.

In addition, Palin has reversed course on at least one major earmark: After initially supporting the $223 million bridge, which was to connect the town of Ketchikan with a remote island, she reversed course last year and canceled the project because of cost overruns. Critics have dubbed the project the "Bridge to Nowhere."

But her administration remains eager for many other earmarks.

In February, Palin's office sent Sen. Stevens a 70-page memo outlining almost $200 million worth of new funding requests for Alaska.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

irishmick79 wrote:This pick isn't about Hillary supporters at all. That's a red herring.

The only people who are going to be moved by this pick are your traditional conservatives who are otherwise turned off by McCain. Once they can start crying 'sexism' whenever Obama/Biden attacks Palin, the republicans can start drumming out their base conservatives by creating a false sense of outrage.

Just you wait - you'll see stories upon stories of how Palin is just this innocent good mom who is getting savaged by sexists in the DNC. The only people who are going to eat that crap up are the conservatives who otherwise hate McCain, but might hit the polls for him to fight this completely manufactured 'injustice'. They'll attempt to stir up anger amongst their base in an effort to get them to turn out on election day.
Yep, it's just as you said:
CNN wrote:Fiorina: Dems launching sexist attacks against Palin

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) — Senior McCain adviser Carly Fiorina said Tuesday that Barack Obama, Joe Biden and other Democrats were engaging in sexist attacks on Sarah Palin, as Republicans continued to invoke Hillary Clinton to criticize the Democratic presidential ticket.

“I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin’s experience,” said Fiorina. “The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a Mayor and Governor than Barack Obama has made in his life.

“Because of Hillary Clinton's historic run for the Presidency and the treatment she received, American women are more highly tuned than ever to recognize and decry sexism in all its forms. They will not tolerate sexist treatment of Governor Palin.”

Fiorina pointed to a Monday interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, when Obama responded to GOP arguments that Palin had more executive experience than he or Biden did.

“Well, my understanding is that Governor Palin's town of Wasilla has I think 50 employees,” he said. “We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million a year. You know, we have a budget of about three times that just for the month. So I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years.”

Watch: Obama appears on Anderson Cooper 360

She also pointed to a comment Biden made on the trail over the weekend, when he joked with the crowd at a campaign event that one of the “obvious differences” between him and Palin was that she is “good looking.”
I'm having a difficult time finding the sexism alleged by Fiorina.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I've noticed that Obama's campaign hasn't reacted to accusations of sexism as well as the other lies being spread across the internet. Are they going to let this sexism charge grow?
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ It's so transparently absurd on its face that I almost wonder if he has to bother. They don't have anything to pin on him, and I haven't heard anyone but Fiorina (and various idiot bloggers) try and pull the card.

Of course, one never knows what the public will be convinced of, and I have no doubt the Obama campaign is considering it as carefully as they've considered everything else. The limping McCain campaign needs to convince people who aren't already drinking the Kool-Aid if they want to win.

I will say it's about time for Hilary Clinton to jump into the fray and smack Fiorina down, if she wants to do some good.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Anguirus wrote:^ It's so transparently absurd on its face that I almost wonder if he has to bother. They don't have anything to pin on him, and I haven't heard anyone but Fiorina (and various idiot bloggers) try and pull the card.

Of course, one never knows what the public will be convinced of, and I have no doubt the Obama campaign is considering it as carefully as they've considered everything else. The limping McCain campaign needs to convince people who aren't already drinking the Kool-Aid if they want to win.

I will say it's about time for Hilary Clinton to jump into the fray and smack Fiorina down, if she wants to do some good.
That's the thing. A lot of charges pressed against Kerry in 2004 were fairly absurd on its face as well. Never underestimate the gullibility of the American electorate. Once this sexism charge gets repeated enough, it will become magically true to many people regardless of its validity. Truth be told, I think the Republicans continuing this sexism charge is a result of Obama's failure to address this during the primaries.

Hillary Clinton's involvement here would definitely help him but I have my doubts on whether she would become that involved in Obama's campaign. Similarly, I have doubts of her sincerity in supporting Obama's presidency. Time will tell and I hope she'll prove me wrong.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:That's the thing. A lot of charges pressed against Kerry in 2004 were fairly absurd on its face as well. Never underestimate the gullibility of the American electorate. Once this sexism charge gets repeated enough, it will become magically true to many people regardless of its validity. Truth be told, I think the Republicans continuing this sexism charge is a result of Obama's failure to address this during the primaries.
He failed to address it... and it didn't really hurt him at all then, and it's less likely to damage him now. The McCain-Palin ticket is anti-feminist and obviously so, with the most important factor being its iron commitment to anti-woman family planning policies. Simply put, feminists are not going to vote for McCain-Palin, and additionally they won't not vote for Obama, because even if he was personally sexist (a ludicrous assertion) his stated policy goals aren't, and they simply can't afford a McCain white house.

The idea that feminists will support McCain because of Palin alone is insane, not least because of Palin's personality. Feminists are familiar with women like Palin, conservative females in the Phyllis Schlafly mode, who are some of the most implacable and dangerous foes of feminism.
Hillary Clinton's involvement here would definitely help him but I have my doubts on whether she would become that involved in Obama's campaign. Similarly, I have doubts of her sincerity in supporting Obama's presidency. Time will tell and I hope she'll prove me wrong.
Even without Hillary he'll probably attack the allegations obliquely via his wife, who gained a lot of credit from her convention appearance and should do well.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

“I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin’s experience,” said Fiorina. “The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a Mayor and Governor than Barack Obama has made in his life.
Okay, what? Hasn't Obama been serving in greater positions of authority for longer than this woman? Did he not lobby for enough federal cash or something?

It's back to the whole "experience" attack, again. Hilarious for McCain's VP pick to be younger than Obama, though. I guess age doesn't matter that much.

These sexism charges are ridiculous and I'm sad that they're going to stick, in the same way the Shit Boatters bullfuckery from last campaign stuck. This whole debacle of a Veep is becoming so obviously calculated specifically for this kind of attack that it's a wonder anyone can take this seriously.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

It's executive experience to hire a private lobbyist to secure earmarks for you, as it is to completely botch Eminent Domain and cost your town millions, as it is to fire the man who refused to carry out your vendetta, and replace him with a known sex offender.

All these things are EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE.

If you take a few more blows to the head, I assume it makes sense.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I'm just waiting for the future grandchild shit to fully hit the fan. Although it's hard to say what will come of it from the religious south. On the one hand, she's an abstinence only supporter and hasn't forced an abortion on her 17 year old daughter, on the other, she's an abstinence only supporter and allowed her daughter to get pregnant. Personally, the hypocrisy would be enough to swing my vote, not that I would (or could) vote for McCain in the first place.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

SirNitram wrote:It's executive experience to hire a private lobbyist to secure earmarks for you, as it is to completely botch Eminent Domain and cost your town millions, as it is to fire the man who refused to carry out your vendetta, and replace him with a known sex offender.

All these things are EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE.

If you take a few more blows to the head, I assume it makes sense.
Wait, known sex offender? Oh do tell!
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Star Marshall
Redshirt

Post by The Star Marshall »

Palin's Church

Just in case she doesn't seem crazy enough, here's an article describing her church.

A Relevant quote below
And if the staff of Wasilla Bible Church shies from taking political stands, Kalnins does not. Homosexuality, he says, is a choice. He would not vote for a pro-choice candidate. When asked about the evolution-creationism debate, Kalnins is clear: "You present the facts of creation versus evolution and the truth will come out," he says. What does Palin think? "This is something inside every human heart of a believer," he answers. When Palin worships in Juneau, she attends an Assembly of God church there. Sarah Palin may not call herself a Pentecostal, but she has deep and long experience in Pentecostal churches. And as the race wears on, this biographical fact will likely become another religious Rorschach test--pleasing to some, discomfiting to others.
The more I hear about her, the more I think McCain fucked up choosing her, and the bigger my smile gets as I keep hoping that she sinks his campaign.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Link to the Anchorage Daily News.
Palin's replacement for Monegan, Chuck Kopp, was forced to resign just two weeks after he was appointed because of a sexual harassment complaint that had been filed against him when he was the chief of police in Kenai.

Palin, in a news conference announcing Kopp's resignation July 24, said she was unaware that the Kenai city council had reprimanded Kopp as a result of the complaint and would not discuss how her staff had vetted Kopp before naming him to replace Monegan three days after Monegan was fired.
Wasn't Vetted for something that rapidly came out and made him toxic.. How is THIS familiar...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

SirNitram wrote:Link to the Anchorage Daily News.
Palin's replacement for Monegan, Chuck Kopp, was forced to resign just two weeks after he was appointed because of a sexual harassment complaint that had been filed against him when he was the chief of police in Kenai.

Palin, in a news conference announcing Kopp's resignation July 24, said she was unaware that the Kenai city council had reprimanded Kopp as a result of the complaint and would not discuss how her staff had vetted Kopp before naming him to replace Monegan three days after Monegan was fired.
Wasn't Vetted for something that rapidly came out and made him toxic.. How is THIS familiar...
Hmm... sounds like Gov. Barbie did about as thorough a job vetting Kopp as the Gimp's staff vetting her for trophy-veep. NPR reported this morning about how, to ensure the secrecy of her selection, they didn't even appear to request news clips from the local media. They apparently did all their investigation via the Google Private Eye Agency.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Google Private Eye Agency?
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten