Ron Paul Supporters Cause County Convention Chaos

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

xerex
Jedi Knight

Re: Ron Paul Supporters Cause County Convention Chaos

Post by xerex »

Mr Bean wrote: in that situation Paul is by delegate count close to being the backup pick.
if something happens to Romney the backup pick will be JEB or Huckabee.
Last edited by SCRawl on 2012-06-01 10:02am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Duplicate post deleted, quote tag fixed - SCRawl
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

xerex wrote:
Mr Bean wrote: in that situation Paul is by delegate count close to being the backup pick.
if something happens to Romney the backup pick will be JEB or Huckabee.
If something happens to Romney his delegates get to vote for who they wish and this entire thread is about the fact that the Paul people have packed convention after convention to ensure Paul supporters get appointed as delegates. Once the delegates are picked and vote in it's to them not the Party to pick a successor.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There's really very little stopping the collection of interest groups, committee members, and talking heads that we call "the Republican Party" from ignoring the convention and doing whatever the hell they want. They don't have to cry "Ron Paul for president!" if they don't want to.

Nominations used to be settled in smoky back rooms all the time; conventions were invented to bring the process back into the light. If someone starts intentionally gaming the convention system to prevent the voters' wishes from being carried out, though, it defeats the purpose of the convention. Which is to nominate a candidate acceptable to the party, not one the party has been roundly rejecting the whole time.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

BrooklynRedLeg wrote:The fact you fucking idiots cannot understand how this process works, even when its clearly explained to you, is astounding.
:lol:

I'm going to revisit this comment in a month.
Mr Bean wrote: Romney could drop dead of a heart attack or get raptured away or have to quit the race because he really does have six wives in Mexico or some other mega-scandal. You might scoff at that but need I remind you that John Edwards ran for President and had an excellent chance of winning in any other year except the one he ran in and had as much support as Romney did until the media decided it was Hillary VS Obama not Edwards & Obama VS Hillary.

In that situation Paul is by delegate count close to being the backup pick.
So if Romney dies or something scandalous arises (with so much scrutiny for the last several months and nothing being found, this is unlikely to occur), Ron Paul maybe become the backup nominee over two other candidates that got more votes and delegates than him?
Simon_Jester wrote:There's really very little stopping the collection of interest groups, committee members, and talking heads that we call "the Republican Party" from ignoring the convention and doing whatever the hell they want. They don't have to cry "Ron Paul for president!" if they don't want to.

Nominations used to be settled in smoky back rooms all the time; conventions were invented to bring the process back into the light. If someone starts intentionally gaming the convention system to prevent the voters' wishes from being carried out, though, it defeats the purpose of the convention. Which is to nominate a candidate acceptable to the party, not one the party has been roundly rejecting the whole time.
I like to call this excuse for trying to game the system the "there's no rule that says a giraffe can't play baseball!" theory.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Mr Bean wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote: The nomination is as good as secure, seeing as his closest competitor can't even secure the nomination at this point, no matter what happens.
Romney could drop dead of a heart attack or get raptured away or have to quit the race because he really does have six wives in Mexico or some other mega-scandal. You might scoff at that but need I remind you that John Edwards ran for President and had an excellent chance of winning in any other year except the one he ran in and had as much support as Romney did until the media decided it was Hillary VS Obama not Edwards & Obama VS Hillary.

In that situation Paul is by delegate count close to being the backup pick.
The former is more likely to happen to Paul while the latter would be utterly hilarious. I admit I didn't think of something rendering Romney incapable of running anymore, though the odds of it happening are really quite low.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

BrooklynRedLeg wrote:The fact you fucking idiots cannot understand how this process works, even when its clearly explained to you, is astounding.
It has not even been a month, and...

Ron Paul: I won't be the nominee
Texas Rep. Ron Paul acknowledged in a message to supporters Wednesday evening that he will not end up with enough delegates to win the Republican presidential nomination — an obvious statement that may still come as a disappointment to the congressman's hard-core supporters.
:lol:
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

AH! But you see this is all part of his brilliant plan!
This will throw the evil Media off his trail, allowing him to obtain his victory without interference!
Yes just you see he WILL win the nominee! :roll:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:AH! But you see this is all part of his brilliant plan!
This will throw the evil Media off his trail, allowing him to obtain his victory without interference!
Yes just you see he WILL win the nominee! :roll:
What!?! He's not going to win with just 11% of the popular vote? I'm shocked.

Join SDN on Discord