Palin Discussion [split]

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Let's see, we have a gruff, short-fused, warmongering military man who was at one point a prisoner of war and a woman whose last political position was some bullshit job a trained monkey could do who only got the job because there was no one else to give it to.

Of course, this means we can start calling him Barack Adama. :D
I thought that too, when I first saw her, but no... Laura Roslin actually rose to the occasion and found herself handling the job with competence. I don't know of the mayor of Dogpatch, Alaska is ready to face off against Achmedinijad, much less the Cylons.

Huh, Alaska-- I believe we have our first Presidential race where almost all the players are from the West: Obama from Hawaii; Palin from Alaska is by itself kinda noteworthy. McCain from Arizona. Only Biden represents the old East Coast system.

And all Senators, also unusual, with the exception of... yup, Governor Barbie, the least experienced person in this lineup is the only one with something resembling executive experience.

What a bizarre lineup this year.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

This is, and even the Right Wing punditry have been saying it, a hail mary play done purely for politics. She is going to get abot a week's worth of decent press coverage (hockey mom, five kids, taking on corruption in Alaska) before everybody stops playing with kid gloves. She is Huckabee without a penis or a social conscience or any experience at all. This is a woman who has no idea what is going on in Iraq or Afghanistan, has never met a single foreign leader, thinks that drillgin in Alaska can completely displace dependency on Middle East oil, want God back in schools and big brother in the OBGYN's office. She has her own mini-scandal (and whether the trooper was in the wrong or not if she pressured for his firing and canned the guy who wouldn't do that it is abuse of power) and was chosen solely for appeal to the base that wouldn't fracture the party.

McCain passed over Pawlenty and Mittens who are both pissed which means we probably won't see them on the talk circuit for quite some time. Obama had almost three months to court the Clinton faction back over while McCain has about two to win back over Mittens people along with everybody else who felt they should have been the choice. Above that it is clear that he i plying to the base, even the traditional media gets that this isn't a "ohh shiny new" pick but rather a "look I found a woman who is just like all the rest of us rich old white men but without the penis." For the net month every mdoerate and independent is going to get bombarded with a remidner that she is from the fetus-christer "God will bring down gas prices" wing of the Republican party. Any chance McCainhad of pulling towards center just got ripped out from under him. He can't even spend the convention doing that because he will have to spend the whole week mending fences with his opponents ithin the party so at the ealiet we are talking middle September before he can start tacking back to center (since it will take at least that long to cover his base) and theentire time Obama and Biden will be ripping in to him and Palin for a lack of substance or ideas.

I almsot feel sorry for her when she goes up to debate Biden because he will have no compunctions about ripping her down and I rather expect it won't be pretty. I've seen Palin compared to two other Republican VP choices and I'm not sure which is more appropriate: The Dan Quayle "young super conservative" or the Spiro Agnew "Republican from a state nobody cares about mired in scandal."
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Well the fringe is pissed, but not for the reasons you would expect. I'm not actually going to link to stormfront, but here is a link to the SA thread covering the neo-nazi's response

+http://forums.somethingawful.co*/showth ... id=2944721
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

I enjoyed this editorial from HuffPo (yes their layout is garbage, but work with me)
Robert J. Elisberg
The Worst Vice-Presidential Nominee in U.S. History
Posted August 29, 2008 | 04:30 PM (EST)

There was a TV ad for deodorant that said, "Never let them see you sweat." The John McCain campaign has just showed the world that it is drenched.

Selecting Sarah Palin as its choice for a vice presidential candidate is perhaps the worst such choice in American History. To be fair, maybe there are worse choices, but I don't know how bad William O. Butler was when he ran with Lewis Cass against Zachary Taylor.
But it's far worse than Dan Quayle, who was a sitting senator. Worse even than Geraldine Ferraro, who at least served in Congress for three-terms. And far worse than William Miller, a choice so obscure when selected by Barry Goldwater that he (honestly) later did an American Express commercial asking, "Do you know me?" And that ad was after the election. But even Miller had been a Congressman for 12 years. And been a prosecutor during the Nuremberg War trials against Nazis. Sarah Palin lists her credits as a hockey mom.

There was a point during the Republican primaries when I was trying to figure out who I hoped got the presidential nomination. Someone so weak he'd be easy for the Democrats to beat, or someone more challenging who at least wouldn't be a disaster for America. I decided on the latter because America has to resolve its serious problems and can't afford risking some glitch where another George Bush got elected. And so I felt that John McCain, for all his weaknesses, was the lesser of all evils and was glad he got the nomination. Throw that out the window. McCain-Palin is an unthinkable disaster.

I completely understand the reasoning behind the decision for John McCain to select Sarah Palin. Absolutely. It's the thinking that settled on Sarah Palin that's missing.

No doubt John McCain will get some women to vote for him who wouldn't have otherwise, and even some independents. But he will also probably lose as many Republicans uncomfortable with a woman on the ticket - let alone a woman with so little experience as Sarah Palin. Not to mention that the choice will cause many undecided Democratic women to be aghast and push them back to following their Democratic beliefs. And further, it will lose all the independents who look at the GOP ticket and say "This is who I'm supposed to give my vote for the next four years to lead and protect America??" It may even appeal to right-wing evangelicals for her strong pro-life stance and get some to vote - but that position and others related to it are specifically what loses even more women voters. And men. Ultimately, the nomination will lose far, far more votes than it gains.

But this is not the reason the decision is so terrible.
It's always said that the most important decision a presidential candidate makes is their pick for vice president. It shows their thinking and judgment. John McCain, in his first decision, has just told the world that he believes Sarah Palin is the most qualified person to be a heartbeat from the presidency. Forgetting all the available men for a moment, if John McCain felt it critical to select a woman in an effort to somehow grab the Hillary Clinton supporters, look at his choice of women he had available: Christine Todd Whitman, Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Elizabeth Dole, Susan Collins, even - for goodness sake - Condoleezza Rice. Or Carly Fiorina. Each of these have marks against them, and perhaps some might not have wanted to run, but it's near-impossible to look at the list and suggest to the American public that Sarah Palin is the best choice of Republican women to be vice president. And again, this is ignoring the men he who could have been chosen.

It's not that Sarah Palin is inexperienced. It's that this is gross political misconduct.

Sarah Palin has been governor of Alaska for just a bit over 18 months. Alaska has a population of 683,000. (Though that doesn't include moose.) This would only make it the 17th most populous city in the United States. Just ahead of Fort Worth.

Before that, she was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska. Population 9,000. I know Republicans like to promote "small town values," but this is taking things to ridiculous extremes, don't you think? I'm from Glencoe, Illinois, population 8,762. It's so small it doesn't even have a mayor, it has an appointed village manager. I'm sure that Paul Harlow is doing wonderfully at his job in the village - but I don't expect that he sees himself as even wanting to be a heartbeat from the U.S. President in 18 months. You know what the top news story is on the Glencoe website? "Fire Hydrant Painting Underway." (To be fair, it's the #2 story. The top news is a clarification about displaying political signage.)

Do you know what the first two "powers and duties" are for the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska? Check their municipal code:

1. Preside at council meetings. The mayor may take part in the discussion of matters before the council, but may not vote, except that the mayor may vote in the case of a tie;

2. Act as ceremonial head of the city;

Swell.

If you live in small town America (and I mean really, really small), look around you and be honest - do you see your mayor (or village manager) as a heartbeat from the presidency in 18 months?

But that's not the reason either that the decision to make Sarah Palin the VP nominee is so terrible.

It's one thing to discuss how unqualified Sarah Palin is. That's a national matter and huge. But on a grassroots political level, her nomination takes away the Republicans' ONLY weapon in the campaign - calling Barack Obama inexperienced. They haven't even been trying to run on the issues, or on the eight-year record of George Bush, which John McCain has supported almost 95% of the time. They've only been running on the faux-issue of Barack Obama's experience of 14 years in federal and state government. Yes, Sarah Palin is merely running for VP, not president, but with a 72 year-old candidate with a history of serious medical issues, this is who they're saying is able to step in as president in a heart-beat. She has so little experience that she makes Sen. Obama look like FDR, Winston Churchill and Julius Caesar combined. So, the Republicans pulled the rug out from under themselves. They have no issues. The economy? Housing? The national debt? Education? The Environment? Iraq? Afghanistan? Nothing. All they have is "Dear Democratic women: please pretend our VP candidate is Hillary Clinton. Just forget that she's pro-life. And against most things Democrats stand for."

But that's not the reason the decision is so terrible.

Because if the hope for John McCain is to get women to vote for him who otherwise supported Hillary Clinton - if anything could get Hillary Clinton campaigning in full force and fury...this is it. She likely would have campaigned hard, but it's in Hillary Clinton's best interest to be the leading voice for women, and the leading woman candidate for president in the future, so having another woman as the potential Vice President (and potential President) is a significant challenge to that. The Republicans just opened Pandora's Box and brought Hillary Clinton roaring to Barack Obama's side on the Democratic train. And Bill Clinton, too.

Yet even that's not the reason the decision is so terrible.

What this does in the most profound and grandiose way possible is give lie to John McCain's pompous posturing that he Always Puts America First. And that undercuts the most prominent campaign issue of his entire career, that everything he does is for reasons of honor. There is nothing honorable about making Sarah Palin your vice presidential nominee. Nothing. Unless you define honor as "blatantly pandering."

But that's not the reason either that this decision is so terrible.

But before we get to that, let's look at the actual announcement to make Gov. Sarah Palin (AK - pop. 683,000) the Republican nominee for president, and put the horrible decision in perspective.

First, John McCain stood at the podium, looking up-and-down reading his speech. It's impossible not to compare that to Barack Obama giving his majestic speech the night before that even conservative analysts were admiring in awe.

Second, the cameras were polite enough to avoid it, but there were empty seats in the gym. It's impossible not to compare that to a stadium of 75,000 people that Barack Obama spoke to the night before.

Third, when people around the nation were waiting to hear about Sarah Palin's qualifications and gravitas to be Vice President of the United States, the first five minutes of her speech were spent talking about her husband being a champion snowmobiler.

Fourth, when she finally got around to her qualifications, pretty much all we discovered was that she fought to cut property taxes. And then, she basically stopped there.

She did, however, mention becoming energy self-sufficient - by talking about how she supported drilling in Alaska!!! Perhaps to Republicans this is being an environmentalist, but to most of America, not so much. Then again, she's also against putting polar bears on the endangered species list (which the government did), so maybe her environmental qualifications are more lax than she thinks.

And then, finally, she spent the rest of her time praising John McCain. Fine, that's very supportive of her...except that the one question on everyone's mind was not -- "can you say John McCain is a swell guy and tell us that he was a POW", the question on everyone's mind was - "Who in God's name are you, and please tell us why you should be a heart-beat from the presidency?"

In the end, the only case she herself made for being on the ticket was praising Hillary Clinton! That's it, period. Now, it might be enough to attract some women -- but it doesn't make a case for the ticket. Why? Hint: some women did vote for Hillary Clinton solely because she was a woman. But most women voted for Hillary Clinton because she was a Democrat, as well as a woman, who stood for important Democratic values they seriously believed in. If Sarah Palin wants to praise Hillary Clinton, go for it. But at least understand what you're praising. Because it will likely come back and bite you.

It was a thin, nothing, empty speech. It was a speech to be head of the Chamber of Commerce. Compare that to the speech by Joe Biden when Barack Obama introduced him. Eloquent, soaring and explaining in blunt detail why John McCain should not be president. Joe Biden must have been watching Sarah Palin's speech, in order to take notes in preparation for his debate with her and thought, "This isn't fair."

And all that's not even the reason the decision is so terrible.

The reason is because the election is not about Sarah Palin. Or about Joe Biden. As much as TV analysts want to be excited by the balloons and hoopla, tomorrow the air will be let out, and there are still over two months to go for the campaign.

The campaign is about Barack Obama and John McCain.

Sarah Palin's nomination doesn't change that. In fact, it reinforces it. Nothing about putting Sarah Palin on the GOP ticket changes a word that Barack Obama said in his vibrant acceptance speech - about himself, about his issues, and about John McCain's repeatedly faulty judgment on the critical issues facing America.

What Sarah Palin's nomination does do is focus attention on John McCain's age. Indeed, the nomination was made on his birthday, when he turned 72, the oldest man ever to run for president. As the crowd sang "Happy Birthday to You," you almost sensed that through John McCain's clenched smile, saying, "Thanks for reminding me," that what he was thinking underneath was "Please, oh, please, don't sing the 'How old are you now?' part." And how good a message was it that he's saying he supposedly forgot it was his birthday?

Vice presidents are usually selected as people who are adept at blasting the other side's presidential candidate, because it's only the presidential candidate that matters. Joe Biden has already done that - twice - at length, spoken as someone who knows John McCain well and likes him. Sarah Palin had her first chance...and whiffed. Didn't even try. And it's hard to imagine what she has in her arsenal that will remotely allow her to do so in the future.

The election is about the presidential candidates. And the selection of Sarah Palin now allows Barack Obama to campaign untouched by the Republican ticket. John McCain's only other option is for himself to personally become negative for two months - which is disaster in presidential politics.

Now add on all the problems expressed above. Sarah Palin's inexplicably laughable lack of substance, most-especially on the foreign policy stage. Her taking away the one issue, experience, Republicans were even attempting. Her pushing away voters who might otherwise be willing to vote for a senator with 26 years in the Senate. Her bringing Hillary Clinton aggressively back into the campaign. Her inability to offer anything to off-set Joe Biden. Her standing as supposedly the most-qualified Republican woman as John McCain's first decision.
And, in the end, it all focuses back on Barack Obama, with his indictment of eight years of the Bush Administration and of John McCain's flawed judgment - and John McCain's defense of all that.

Republicans might be dancing earlier today, because there was a lot of fun music playing. But the music has stopped. The actual campaign has now started. For Republicans, it might have ended.
I thought the author got tedious with the repeated; "that's not even the reason the decision is so terrible", but I think all the points presented here are valid. If we are stupid enough to fall for this GIMMICK, I will have lost what little faith I had left in the American electorate.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the clarification, Original Nex-- I got my female governors mixed up, dammit, after all the talk about Sebelius on the Obama tix.

That said-- how long 'till Palin withdraws, using her 4-month old Down's Syndrome baby as an excuse? McCain staffers are going to start leaning on the Geezer to undo this, for certain.

Poll here in OT
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Patrick Degan wrote:Indeed. However, the best method of attack in this instance would be indirect. In order to slide Vice-Presidential Barbie into irrelevancy, Obama needs only to keep repeating the message that the choice of running mate is a serious one with the stakes so high, and that Joe Biden brings years of experience with foreign policy to aid the future administration. And leave it at that. Never mention Palin's name. It's not even necessary for surrogates from the campaign to do any attacking, as she's going to be the lead-off joke for David Letterman, Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, and Conan O'Brian every night from now 'till the 4th of November. Just leave the Gimp to twist in the wind having to defend his choice at every turn and by implication play the lack-of-judgement card against him. Make Palin, by ignoring her, become more pathetic as she tries to argue for her own relevance to anything.
I wonder if this is a prelude of just that to come:
CNN wrote:First Obama ad on Palin avoids mentioning her at all

(CNN) — Since Barack Obama distanced himself from his campaign’s first tough reaction to presumptive Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin, his team seems to be figuring out the best way to direct their fire. In the meantime, their ad approach when it comes to the Alaska governor is simple: keep aiming at John McCain.

Obama’s campaign has begun airing its first ad that includes Palin – but never criticizes her, or even mentions her name. The 30-second spot, which started airing Saturday on national cable in advance of next week’s GOP convention, keeps up the line of attack ran through the Democratic convention: that a McCain presidency would mean the continuation of the Bush policy approach. The campaign would not say how extensive the ad buy was.

"Well, he's made his choice," says the announcer in ‘No Change.’ "But, for the rest of us there's still no change. McCain doesn't get it, calling this broken economy 'strong.' Wants to keep spending ten-billion-a-month in Iraq. And votes with George Bush 90 percent of the time.

"So, while this may be his running mate…" he continues, over footage of McCain and a smiling Sarah Palin, which shifts to footage of McCain and Bush. "America knows this is John McCain's agenda. And we can't afford four more years of the same."

An Obama spokesman had reacted to the announcement that McCain had tapped Palin as his running mate Friday with a statement that called her "the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience."

Obama, who later complimented Palin in a statement, backed away from the criticism. "I think, you know, campaigns start getting these hair triggers," he told reporters. "And the statement that Joe and I put out reflects our sentiments."
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Rawtooth
Padawan Learner

Post by Rawtooth »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Seeing as you're actually Alaskan, what's your opinion of Sarah Palin from when she was/is governor? Did you pay attention, not particularly give a shit, etc.?
I'll be honest and say I don't particularly give a shit about state news, but I do know she managed to stop the bullshit regarding a jet the last governor tried to purchase. However, her gas pipeline proposal was stupid if I recall correctly. It matched neither of the plans that made the most sense, i.e. from the North Slope right to Anchorage or into Canada.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

I guess we can't expect to hear from the Dems about Palin's firing of the state police commissioner? Apparently the trooper she was attempting to fire was probably an abusive asshole. I don't know if that justifies firing the commissioner or not, though.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Wasilla had a population of just over 5,000 at this time, and her Wiki says that she pretty much ran the city into the ground and left them with a huge budget shortfall due to sweeping property tax reductions and an astoundingly bad real-estate call on a sports facility.
Since I last looked at the Wiki the bit about the Ice Arena has been disappeared along with its citation, but here's a source for it. I really can't think of any reason why this detail would have been removed from her Wiki, apart from an edit war designed to make her look better.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Pablo Sanchez wrote:Wasilla had a population of just over 5,000 at this time, and her Wiki says that she pretty much ran the city into the ground and left them with a huge budget shortfall due to sweeping property tax reductions and an astoundingly bad real-estate call on a sports facility.
Since I last looked at the Wiki the bit about the Ice Arena has been disappeared along with its citation, but here's a source for it. I really can't think of any reason why this detail would have been removed from her Wiki, apart from an edit war designed to make her look better.
Scrub-a-dub-dub!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The other thing this pick shows is the depths of Republicans' contempt for the very concept of functional government, nevermind a democratic one. You'd think it wouldn't have been possible to lower the bar too much further with Chimpus Caesar. Now the GOP proposes a (possibly) half-senile old man and a walking Barbie doll from Buttfuck, Alaska as president and vice president, to be conjoined with a gridlocked or (desired) GOP-dominated do-nothing congress and a (desired) supreme court riddled with strict constructionists. Next best thing they could get to actually destroying the government of the United States in order to complete America's transformation into a nuclear-armed banana republic run entirely by crony-capitalists and the GOP party political machine.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

SirNitram wrote:Scrub-a-dub-dub!
I mean, honestly, the Wiki still mentions the arena itself as being part of her legacy as mayor, but the fact that Palin totally bungled the land deal and cost the city a huge stack of cash, so that they have to slash non-essential programs like the library and city website is suddenly not worth mentioning?
Patrick Degan wrote:Next best thing they could get to actually destroying the government of the United States in order to complete America's transformation into a nuclear-armed banana republic run entirely by crony-capitalists and the GOP party political machine.
I read a book by Thomas Frank recently (The Wrecking Crew) in which he asserted that GOP ideology dictates that they run the government into the ground, on purpose, for a number of reasons. It's a good read, I recommend it.

EDIT:
More surfing on Wiki--look at how slim the article on her political positions is.
--The Lord Humungus
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I do have to admit that I was under the impression she had been Mayor of Anchorage before ending up governor, not some little bumfuck.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

So, apparently, because of McCain's Veep choice the head of PUMA (women supporting Hillary) is now voting for McCain.

I don't even understand that. Even if McCain did die while in office (there's certainly no gaurentee of that) what would having a non-elected president who's female and a raging conservative do for them? Especially one who's adamantly anti-abortion rights? Isn't that their big issue? It boggles the mind.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Erik von Nein wrote:So, apparently, because of McCain's Veep choice the head of PUMA (women supporting Hillary) is now voting for McCain.

I don't even understand that. Even if McCain did die while in office (there's certainly no gaurentee of that) what would having a non-elected president who's female and a raging conservative do for them? Especially one who's adamantly anti-abortion rights? Isn't that their big issue? It boggles the mind.
No, their big issue is vagina, because at heart they're man-hating womynists of the sort that congregate up at the Mich every year to the point where when the guys come to pump out the sanicans female guards have to walk in front of the truck screaming "Man on the land!" to warn everyone for safety reasons, even if they're in denial about some of it. I assume some of them are simply Oprah-listeners who believe it is time for the Soccer Mom to have Her representation in the White House and are too stupid/self absorbed to care about anything else--those are the Clinton-lite fanatics, but they're more numerous, of course.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I do have to admit that I was under the impression she had been Mayor of Anchorage before ending up governor, not some little bumfuck.
And if I understand correctly, she only won because she was the only alternative running against an incumbent facing corruption charges, which is how unlikely and fantastic candidates usually gain office. Nobody would've taken Schwarzenegger seriously, and many still didn't, if he wasn't running on a recall that made Davis look poorly.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I think the concern about Hillary supporters voting McCain because he picked Palin is, frankly, overblown. Way overblown. Hillary supporters wanted Hillary to be the first female president. Not Sarah Palin. (And yes, if McCain is elected, she stands a damn good chance of having to step up to the plate.) And the vice presidency was hardly what they were gunning for anyway. They want one thing: for Hillary Clinton to be the first female president. Period.

If anything, this choice may galvanize them against McCain. I can see Hillary supporters saying to themselves, "There's no way I'm letting that bitch have a reasonable shot at becoming the first female commander in chief. That's Hillary's job." You can bet your ass that Bill Clinton is saying it to himself. Expect he and Hillary to be the chief Obama surrogates in charge of making Palin look like someone who envies Dan Quayle's intellect.

As to her credentials as a "fiscal conservative", just ask the residents of Wasilla. She blew $1.7 million in an attempt to grab up land that was worth $125,000 using eminent domain. The skinny is that she lost a bidding war to a private developer for the land. But the city went ahead and started construction on the $15 million sports complex (in a city with an annual budget of $3.9 million) anyway, without the title. And they raised the sales tax to support it.

The matter was only settled after Palin left office, and it cost the city $1.7 million in court fees and settlement. The construction is still ongoing, well after Palin left office. The town has had to cut back on other projects to support it. So Palin's legacy to Wasilla was a 5-year court battle over a sports complex that cost more than the town could possibly afford with the bonus of ballooning costs.

But this example of incompetence isn't what makes the story a gold mine for Obama's camp. It has two aspects that will significantly drop Palin's appeal to Republicans: eminent domain and tax hike. I can see the ad now. "Sarah Palin supports having the government use eminent domain to steal land from its rightful owners and raising your taxes to do it."
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Oh yeah. God, if you're there, please let there be a Sarah Palin sex tape. And please let it make its way to YouTube.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Polls are in on Sarah Palin. (Rassmussen)

Women appear to have a 6-point gap on thinking Palin was a good choice compared to men, and a 3-point lead on thinking she was a bad choice, for a total of 9% difference.
Summary?: Men appear to think Palin was a better choice than Women by a good margin.

Women have a 1%-point lead on being LESS likely to vote for McCain because of Palin, while men have a +6% MORE likely. Aka 7% difference.
Summary?: If this statistic is true, more women will ditch John McCain than go to him, but men might make it up.

A plurality of men (41%) think that Palin is not ready to be president, but a near-majority of women (48%) do. 35% of men think she could do it, but only 23% of women. That results in a 17% gap of opinion.
Summary?: Men appear to think Palin isn't ready to be President, but Women are sure of it

Despite this? A majority of men and a plurality of women think she's a good person. Women are 10% less likely to view her positively, but more likely to have a negative opinion or be unsure.
Why does this gap exist? Don't know, but it may simply be a matter of ideology. Men are generally a bit more conservative than women, and opinions of Palin are very strongly determined by ideology. Conservatives have a favorable impression of her by a 79-8 margin, but this falls to 43-35 among moderates and 26-46 among liberals. Likewise, by a 48-22 margin, conservatives think she's ready to be President, but she loses this question 23-54 among moderates and 9-67 among liberals.
So, the polls show that apparantly Palin might be winning among young conservative males, not democratic women.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

As an Illinois resident, I haven't been paying to much attention to the race (the necromancers in Chicago will ensure the state goes Dem), and I caught the breaking of Palin as VP in the Monmouth Burger King.

Before I came home and read this site the only thing I knew about Alaskan politics was corruption, and the only thing I thought I knew about Palin was she was under a corruption investigation. I have to wonder how many other people in the similar apathetic but still voting category will have very similar reactions.

All I knew about Biden was he was some tough, experienced white guy, all I knew about Palin is she was corrupt and had a vagina. It's very clear who did a better job picking VP from such limited knowledge, and given the general incompetency of the American voter, I have to think such a choice is going to be biting McCain in the ass.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Edit- Note that on the whole most women weren't voting for McCain anyhow so McCain might actually in practice gain votes even though he should lose them in theory, and he probably had most of the "more likely" men anyhow.

But in practice it shows that Palin is almost as "meh" as Biden, except that Palin probably won't bring the actual practical uses of Biden to the debates or the White House.

This appears to have minor Independent gathering, but I'm guessing that'll wear off once the novelty does. Independents (most of them) don't get distracted for too long by stuff like that. I hope.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Another great potential ad ...

John McCain picked Sarah Palin to be his running mate. Sarah Palin has no experience in international politics and even admitted that she wasn't closely following national politics at home. Until a month ago, she didn't even know what the vice president's job was. Picking an unqualified candidate for an important government position? Sounds exactly like what George W. Bush would do.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

It would be awesome if Hillary starred in anti-Palin ads, which would pretty much take all the wind out of those sails.

I also think that given how she ruined the shit out of Wasilla, plus some of her policies in Alaska (mainly slashing the state's construction budget), her success as governor might be due in large part to the fact that she simply hasn't had enough time to ruin it.
--The Lord Humungus
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

I object to the characterization of Sarah Palin as a Barbie doll.

You see, Barbie is actually a doctor, paleontologist and astronaut, so she's intelligent and accomplished.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Holy crap, Palin may actually be the grandmother of her child with Down's Syndrome. There are a lot of fishy circumstances (like her flying from Dallas to Alaska after her water broke, her daughter disappearing from school for several months because she "had mono" and a couple other things), but honestly, the biggest red flag is this picture.

In Februrary of this year, she was supposedly 6 months pregnant. I've never seen a woman so thin going into her third trimester.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion