another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Re: another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Can't be. Maybe no taxes on his salary as President, but having to pay no taxes whatsoever on other assets and revenue would just be too tempting of an opportunity to abuse it... unless some scrupulous former office holder has made it happen.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

PeZook wrote: But to answer your question, IIRC the POTUS gets 400 000 a year, and of course his living expenses are all paid for, so I guess his family has plenty to spend on themselves.
Some living expenses. If I recall correctly POTUS pays for all private meals but any state dinners are paid for by the government. (EDIT: I seem to have recalled correctly, if Answers.com is to be believed)

And unless I am very mistaken, POTUS pays income tax on his salary, but someone can double check me here.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Hmph. Not what I'd expected. As much as I loathe lolbertarian arguments about the inherent "inefficiency" of taxation, this would probably be an ideal case to simply just pay POTUS and other big-timers a tax-adjusted salary and retain the rest as income tax.

Of course, then it might appear to the public that he's getting off the hook or something, so maybe it's best for appearances sake.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Amazingly the President of my university gets paid more (600,000 if I recall) then the president of the United States. In the end despite the hoopla over Michelle’s spending I bet they live a more modest lifestyle then other Presidents, senators and the like.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

spaceviking wrote:Amazingly the President of my university gets paid more (600,000 if I recall) then the president of the United States. In the end despite the hoopla over Michelle’s spending I bet they live a more modest lifestyle then other Presidents, senators and the like.
Does it matter if they live modestly, really? It's not like Obama goes "Hey Joe I ran out of money for useless stuff ; Run along to the Treasury and bring me two million in small notes.", like the cartoon would suggest.

He gets a salary from the taxpayer's money, yeah ; But so what? It's pretty modest for a man in charge of the world's most powerful nation, and he spends it for whatever the fuck he wants just like Joe the Hamburger Flipper (or Jack the fat-cat CEO, for that matter).

There's plenty of criticism of Obama as President without pulling out ridiculous red herrings like OMG MICHELLE LIKES TO BUY EXPENSIVE STUFF WITH OUR MONEY. It's not like the wife of our late president who fucking cleaned out the palace when moving out after her husban'd death.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

In any case, according to Newsweek, Obama gets millions a year in book royalties, so it's not like his personal cashflow is going to be particularly tight.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

It's also worth noting that the President and First lady donated more than $500,000 to charity in 2009, which means he essentially donated his salary to charity. I'd be curious how many past presidents have done the same.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Isn't the President already rich to begin with? I mean, you can't exactly run a Presidential campaign with pocket cash to begin with.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

IIRC, Obama wasn't that affluent prior to writing his books. Upper income certainly, but not buy-a-football-team, run-an-oil-company-into-the-ground wealthy.
Last edited by eion on 2010-11-16 01:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

What I want to know is just how much the India trip actually cost, and just how much of Obama's personal money was spent on it. The notion that the trip cost billions has been much put about in the right wing blogosphere.

Also I am baffled about the following one:
Following his trip through Asia, most of his meetings, especially in India seemed to go rather well. One would think a better negative cartoon would have Obama returning to some sort of monster rather then what we get here. Do conservatives simply make sht up in the hopes people take it at face value?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

maybe the prediction is that is trip to Asia will bite him in the ass?

I dunno all my conservies are talking about this week is the Federal reserve.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

That second one is not a TERRIBLE political cartoon at all. His trip pretty much ended with a big fuck off to any of his plans for exporting countries (read: China and Germany) to cut back their exports.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

D.Turtle wrote:That second one is not a TERRIBLE political cartoon at all. His trip pretty much ended with a big fuck off to any of his plans for exporting countries (read: China and Germany) to cut back their exports.
Agreed. I actually agree with what you can read from the cartoon.
Hwoever, that's beside the point, because it's not terrible for other reasons:
-it's accurate and contains no blatant lies etc.
-it's clear and has an easily understandable message
-it has a message and isn't just some standard drivel
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, crossroads, I think it would be better if you restrain yourself a bit in the future with regards to that kind of thing.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Speaking of Presidential tax returns, here's a pretty interesting page.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:Yeah, crossroads, I think it would be better if you restrain yourself a bit in the future with regards to that kind of thing.
I will apoligize for that, I guess after seeing so many blatant lies, distortions and falshoods, i end up reading too far into something that I guess is more straight forward.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Thanas wrote:Yeah, crossroads, I think it would be better if you restrain yourself a bit in the future with regards to that kind of thing.
I will apoligize for that, I guess after seeing so many blatant lies, distortions and falshoods, i end up reading too far into something that I guess is more straight forward.
I suppose that, depending on the author, he might have meant something stupid.
So i would advise you to judge cartoons without respect to their authors - ignore their possible intent and judge it by it's own merits. And just because you disagree with something it's not terrible, that classification has other criteria.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ok, going to submit the following under the grounds of being "terrible" for ranting about things that no one mentioned under Bush. IE airport security and the recent screaming on the right about "invasive searches"

This one I find grating because of the blatant antigay vibe I get from this.

ImageThis one is more confusing, the statment "those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" is totally correct and apt. But A: where the hell was this outrage under bush, and B:What is up with the obvious Islamic walking away? Is it trying to say that increased security will cause terrosim? Is it "fleasing" americans in some way?
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

I guess it's saying that Terrorists profit from fleecing US Air Travel? The whole "by imposing draconian restrictions to save us from terrorists, we're giving the terrorists what they want, our Fear" shtick.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok, going to submit the following under the grounds of being "terrible" for ranting about things that no one mentioned under Bush.
I do not agree that that is, by itself, a legitimate use of the word "terrible." I sympathize with anger at the gay-baiting vibe in number one, but I see very little wrong with number two in the cartoon itself and the message it is communicating (unless you want to talk about art style). People can be hypocritical without the things they say actually being wrong. I'm starting to suspect that you are an anger junkie, Crossroads. You may have a substance-abuse problem with offendedness, and your apparent addiction to partisan opprobrium has ruined your discriminating taste. There were some truly inspiringly bad comics early in this thread, but for the last 30 pages it's been Crossroad's Townhall Tour.
"Guys, don't do that"
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Actually, given how blatant the homophobia in the first cartoon is, i would classify it as terrible. After all, homosexuality has NOTHING to do with the issue - it's just randomly thrown in, as if "cavity search=gay sex".
It would be mediocre cartoon without the speech bubble, but with the speech bubble it's just an anti-gay rant grafted onto a current issue.

Pretty much the same goes for the second cartoon, although one could argue that the terrorists got what they wanted (destroy our civil liberties) - except that's not what they wanted, so that point is still stupid.

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

I don't think it's anti-gay as much as it is, as you mentioned, about equating the new invasiveness of the procedures with a sexual activity. The scariness is not because the inspector's a man, but rather because he has about three or four times the traveler's mass.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Actually, given how blatant the homophobia in the first cartoon is, i would classify it as terrible. After all, homosexuality has NOTHING to do with the issue - it's just randomly thrown in, as if "cavity search=gay sex".
It would be mediocre cartoon without the speech bubble, but with the speech bubble it's just an anti-gay rant grafted onto a current issue.
OK, but I stand by the statement that the hypocrisy of the artist ("artist") has nothing to do with whether a cartoon as a cartoon is terrible or not.
Pretty much the same goes for the second cartoon, although one could argue that the terrorists got what they wanted (destroy our civil liberties) - except that's not what they wanted, so that point is still stupid.
Pretty much what is the same for the second cartoon? Is there an antigay vibe that I am missing? Or is it entirely about the man in the coat being a caricature of an Islamist radical? I agree that that's crass, but not that it's so terrible that it deserves a spot in the thread. The point is entirely correct, sensible, and easy to understand: ridiculously invasive security procedures disrespect and inconvenience passengers without contributing to their security in any way, while simultaneously pleasing and comforting terrorists whose whole goal, after all, is to spread fear.
"Guys, don't do that"
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Would someone please explain to me how the first of the two most recent is homophobic, because I'm not seeing it.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

TimothyC wrote:Would someone please explain to me how the first of the two most recent is homophobic, because I'm not seeing it.
I think they are assuming asking for a drink after groping a mans crotch looking for terrorists means the TSA agent is gay... I'm not sure if that is the actual intent.